PDA

View Full Version : Is Delgado next for the Mets?

JfromJersey
01-09-05, 02:13 PM
I think he's next on their radar screen. They can probably afford to bloat their payroll further, and they do need another big bat. All indications are that (after all is said and done) the Mets will go down as the official gluttons of the off season...and who can blame them?

bleachersown
01-09-05, 03:00 PM
If the Mets get Delgado, I'll be afraid. It seems as if things are falling into place for this franchise.

Soriambi
01-09-05, 03:06 PM
If the Mets get Delgado, I'll be afraid. It seems as if things are falling into place for this franchise.

What's there to be afraid of? They're in the NL, so we don't have to worry about them other than six times a year when we play them. (And in a potential World Series if both teams get that far.)

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-09-05, 03:10 PM
I can't imagine the Mets are willing to spend that much.

Casey37
01-09-05, 03:27 PM

I you take into consideration the new cable deal they are working on, plus the fact that if they field a competitive team they can draw close to 3 million at Shea, then I’d say they can afford it.

JfromJersey
01-09-05, 03:41 PM

They look at their cross town rivals and they see a 200M payroll..but they also see a team that generates a ton of income, not only because of their success on the field, but because they also create buzz off the field by going after big names. The Mets tried the conservative approach and it didn't work. They got burnt with Mo Vaughn and Robbie Alomar, but that's the chance you take with big signings. Just sitting back and letting the Yankees create all the buzz, and steal all the headlines, especially when they are trying to create their own version of YES..is suicide.

NJ Fan
01-09-05, 03:45 PM
Seems to me they're trying to buy a championship like their fans are always accusing us.

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-09-05, 03:57 PM
I you take into consideration the new cable deal they are working on, plus the fact that if they field a competitive team they can draw close to 3 million at Shea, then I’d say they can afford it.
That's not the point. They've been able to afford a much higher payroll than they've had for years. Throwing that much money around hasn't been their style, and I think they'll be happy with what they've done.

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-09-05, 03:58 PM
Just sitting back and letting the Yankees create all the buzz, and steal all the headlines, especially when they are trying to create their own version of YES..is suicide.
They've more than stolen the buzz from the yanks this winter. If that's their goal, they've met it already. By far.

Yankees1962
01-09-05, 04:00 PM
They've more than stolen the buzz from the yanks this winter. If that's their goal, they've met it already. By far.
Please, they didn't steal any buzz by signing players the Yankees didn't even bother to bid on.

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-09-05, 04:03 PM
Please, they didn't steal any buzz by signing players the Yankees didn't even bother to bid on.
Take off the pinstriped glasses. The RJ deal is very big. Pedro and Beltran is bigger. The off-season buzz right now is around the Mets, not the yanks.

RhodyYanksFan
01-09-05, 04:06 PM
They look at their cross town rivals and they see a 200M payroll..but they also see a team that generates a ton of income, not only because of their success on the field, but because they also create buzz off the field by going after big names.

The Mets are and always will be the JV team in New York. I was born in 1980 and my first baseball memory is the 1986 Mets winning the World Series. By all purposes I should be a Mets fan because the Yankees stunk in the 80's. But I became a Yankee fan because they were the elder, more well-known team. The Mets have a huge inferiority complex and it is showing in this offseason.

Yankees1962
01-09-05, 04:31 PM
Take off the pinstriped glasses. The RJ deal is very big. Pedro and Beltran is bigger. The off-season buzz right now is around the Mets, not the yanks.
The only reason they're Mets because the Yankees surmised that they don't either player to win the WS.

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-09-05, 04:34 PM
The only reason they're Mets because the Yankees surmised that they don't either player to win the WS.
So? Who cares what the yanks think or don't think. I didn't say the Mets were smart in making those signings. (Although in case you haven't noticed, it's been awhile since players the yanks decided they wanted have actually helped win a WS). They're high profile players, and their signings produced more buzz than what the yanks have done.

Yankees1962
01-09-05, 04:52 PM
Johnson's signing alone had more headlines than Martinez and Beltran combined.

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-09-05, 04:56 PM
Johnson's signing alone had more headlines than Martinez and Beltran combined.
Don't advertise your ignorance. :lol: :P

38Special
01-09-05, 05:16 PM
yeah, everyone's laughing.

thank god the mets are around to save us from horrible contracts.

and delgado would complete the triumvirate

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-09-05, 05:19 PM
yeah, everyone's laughing.

thank god the mets are around to save us from horrible contracts.

Uhhh, I think that laughter you're hearing is for the Wright signing. The Mets may indeed have overpaid in their 3 big signings (Benson plus the FA's), but by far the worst contract signed by a ny baseball team is the yanks' doing.

And you might want to get an idea of what buzz is if you're going to comment about it.

YankeePride1967
01-09-05, 05:23 PM
Adding Pedro and Beltran is by far, by far more impressive than what the Yanks did. Mets got those players for cash and no players, we had to trade our young pitcher and two prospects to get a 41 year old pitcher and then signed two question marks in Pavano and Wright.

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-09-05, 05:26 PM
Adding Pedro and Beltran is by far, by far more impressive than what the Yanks did. Mets got those players for cash and no players, we had to trade our young pitcher and two prospects to get a 41 year old pitcher and then signed two question marks in Pavano and Wright.
You're on a roll today. Better watch out or you're gonna get in trouble for making too much sense. ;)

YankeePride1967
01-09-05, 05:28 PM
You're on a roll today. Better watch out or you're gonna get in trouble for making too much sense. ;)

People can say what they want about overbidding for the players, at least with the Mets they only overbid with cash and not prospects/players.

SI Baseballman
01-09-05, 05:45 PM
Mets payroll is still only 105 mil without Delgado, and the most we have to pay someone to take garbage off our hands is the 900K we gave the Yankees for Stanton.

Mets players making more than 10 mil:
Beltran (17 a year)
Piazza (15, gone after '05)
Pedro (13.25 a year)
Glavine (10.5 a year, gone after '06)

Mets left side of the infield is making 600K combined next season while the Yankees left side is making 43 mil.

38Special
01-09-05, 06:17 PM
Uhhh, I think that laughter you're hearing is for the Wright signing. The Mets may indeed have overpaid in their 3 big signings (Benson plus the FA's), but by far the worst contract signed by a ny baseball team is the yanks' doing.

a 3 year deal with injury insurance over a 7 year deal for twice as much money and then a 4 year deal for a 32 year old pitcher with a shoulder held together with tape.

im confused.

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-09-05, 06:21 PM
im confused.
Ok, you're confused.

JfromJersey
01-09-05, 08:12 PM
Let's not kid ourselves. Everyone was handing Beltran on a silver platter to the Yankees before this went down. He was the top FA on the market, and in a position of need for the Yankees. Whether or not it works out for the Mets, it certainly was a bold move, and you'll see in the next several days how much buzz this generates. The buzz is not just about the player. It's about a player that was supposed to be the Yankee's big fish in the FA market. The Yanks look like they got a bit too seasick to go fishing, and the lowly Mets reel him in. It's a big thing no matter how you slice it.

TommyK8
01-09-05, 09:21 PM
People can say what they want about overbidding for the players, at least with the Mets they only overbid with cash and not prospects/players.

Minaya has been given a blank checkbook, and he's writing checks. But hopefully, he's not done yet, because he needs to address his bullpen in a big way. Glavine, Pedro, and Trachsel are not going to go way deep into games, and the Mets still have to figure out how to get through the 7th and 8th innings. They also have to keep their fingers crossed that Looper can have another effective year as closer.

YankeePride1967
01-09-05, 09:27 PM
Minaya has been given a blank checkbook, and he's writing checks. But hopefully, he's not done yet, because he needs to address his bullpen in a big way. Glavine, Pedro, and Trachsel are not going to go way deep into games, and the Mets still have to figure out how to get through the 7th and 8th innings. They also have to keep their fingers crossed that Looper can have another effective year as closer.

That, and I expect Carlos Delgado to be at first next year for the Mets. Their bullpen is very weak.

jeterdaman
01-09-05, 09:27 PM

don't forget the 2 year extension :enraged:

goin for 27
01-09-05, 09:54 PM
Seems to me they're trying to buy a championship like their fans are always accusing us.

Well, That would be wrong. They could sign Delgado, and STILL be under the luxury tax.

They are combining a few large contracts -
Pedro
Beltran
Glavine (2 more years)
Piazza (1 more year)

mixing in some moderate contracts
Cameron
Floyd
Matsui

and filling in the rest cheaply.

This allows the flexibility to sign Delgado, and have more in the tank if anything else arises.

Sound like another hated rival?

ChewieTobbacca
01-09-05, 10:01 PM
Having money doens't mean you spend it stupidly

NJ Fan
01-09-05, 10:06 PM
Well, That would be wrong. They could sign Delgado, and STILL be under the luxury tax.

They are combining a few large contracts -
Pedro
Beltran
Glavine (2 more years)
Piazza (1 more year)

mixing in some moderate contracts
Cameron
Floyd
Matsui

and filling in the rest cheaply.

This allows the flexibility to sign Delgado, and have more in the tank if anything else arises.

Sound like another hated rival?
Yes, but in the eyes of fans of the small-market teams, the Mets will be just like the hated Yankees.

BombersBlvd
01-09-05, 10:14 PM

Scott Kazmir says hi.

SI Baseballman
01-09-05, 11:37 PM
That was the old regime. To be honest, if the Mets didn't trade Kazmir and end up going further downhill from there, Pedro would still be a Red Sox, and Beltran probably would have gotten the Houston deal done.

thestupidpunk
01-09-05, 11:41 PM

But if you're a Met fan it's not buying a championship...it's trying to be competitive.

The Yankees and only the Yankees are the ones that buy championships in their point of view...foolish idiots.

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-10-05, 12:44 AM
Scott Kazmir says hi.
Wholly irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

TheScooter
01-10-05, 08:07 AM
Delgado might not be looking to switch leagues.The Orioles are going to make a big pitch for him.Delgado will hit 50 HR's in Camden.The Rangers could become players if they move Soriano to Houston.Texas would have the Soriano money to offer Delgado.The Rangers have been offering $9-10 million per for Delgado but shedding Soriano allows them to increase their offer

BeantownYankee
01-10-05, 09:08 AM
Wholly irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
Wasn't it mentioned in this discussion that the mets don't over pay with prospects?

:dunno:

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-10-05, 11:24 AM
Wasn't it mentioned in this discussion that the mets don't over pay with prospects?

:dunno:
The discussion was specifically about the off-season moves of the yanks and mets. I certainly agree that the Kazmir trade was a bad one, quite possibly a disaster. But it's separate from what's gone on this winter.

Dabize
01-10-05, 11:38 AM
Yes, but in the eyes of fans of the small-market teams, the Mets will be just like the hated Yankees.

The Yankees have acquired the Evil Empire rep just as the Dems are still considered free spenders/weak on nat. security.

Doesn't matter how untrue it is if it's repeated often enough.

And the Yanks are still first in payroll, last in charm and first in the AL East......to a lot of folks, anyway... ;)

BeantownYankee
01-10-05, 12:47 PM
It's also rumored that the mets are still looking into a trade involving Floyd and Sosa thereby adding to the all Latino team. If the aquire Delgado & Sosa...the lineup could look like this...

Reyes
Beltran
Delgado
Sosa
Piazza
Wright
Cameron
Matsui

Not that bad....if they all play up to their potential and their k total doesn't stop too many rallies...

Casey37
01-10-05, 01:18 PM
Not that bad....if they all play up to their potential and their k total doesn't stop too many rallies...

I agree with you. That's a pretty decent lineup they got there, but their bullpen is still suspect.

ColombiaYanksFan
01-10-05, 01:40 PM

Not so fast:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/10/sports/baseball/10beltran.html?oref=login

Yesterday, Carlos Beltran called Carlos Delgado, the free-agent first baseman the Mets are still interested in. Beltran is a friend of Delgado's and a fellow Puerto Rican. The Mets need a first baseman and have continued their conversations with David Sloane, Delgado's agent.

Jake_Gibbs
01-10-05, 01:51 PM
The Mets are and always will be the JV team in New York. I was born in 1980 and my first baseball memory is the 1986 Mets winning the World Series. By all purposes I should be a Mets fan because the Yankees stunk in the 80's. But I became a Yankee fan because they were the elder, more well-known team. The Mets have a huge inferiority complex and it is showing in this offseason.

The Yankees did not stink in the 80s. They had either the best or second best (to the Detroit Tigers) overall winning % in that decade. Their problem was not winning the division, except for 1981. The Mets owned NY after 1969 until the 76 season. For a Yankee fan, there was nothing more depressing than having to read about the Mets every day. I would hate to relive those days again. :eek:

ojo
01-10-05, 02:00 PM
can you imagine how much kazmir could have culled from pedro?

i still cannot believe that trade.

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-10-05, 02:07 PM
The Yankees did not stink in the 80s. They had either the best or second best (to the Detroit Tigers) overall winning % in that decade. Their problem was not winning the division, except for 1981.
That's quite generous to the yanks. They finished 5th 3 times and 4th another. Over the full 10 years their record wasn't that bad, but doing that poorly that often stinks.

Jake_Gibbs
01-10-05, 02:15 PM
That's quite generous to the yanks. They finished 5th 3 times and 4th another. Over the full 10 years their record wasn't that bad, but doing that poorly that often stinks.
They were 854-708 for a 10 year % of .546. That hardly "stinks." My point was that their record was good almost every year, they just couldn't win the division. Had there been a wildcard team back then who knows what the 80s would have been like?

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-10-05, 02:15 PM
Not so fast:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/10/sports/baseball/10beltran.html?oref=login

Yesterday, Carlos Beltran called Carlos Delgado, the free-agent first baseman the Mets are still interested in. Beltran is a friend of Delgado's and a fellow Puerto Rican. The Mets need a first baseman and have continued their conversations with David Sloane, Delgado's agent.
Interesting. I'm still skeptical, but we shall see.

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-10-05, 02:18 PM
My point was that their record was good almost every year, they just couldn't win the division. Had there been a wildcard team back then who knows what the 80s would have been like?
Huh? Their record most certainly was not good every year. They were quite terrible several years - that's what finishing 5th and 4th means.

Jake_Gibbs
01-10-05, 02:30 PM
Huh? Their record most certainly was not good every year. They were quite terrible several years - that's what finishing 5th and 4th means.

1980 W 103-59*
1981 W 59-48*
1982 W 79-83
1983 W 91-71
1984 W 87-75
1985 W 97-64
1986 W 90-72
1987 W 89-73
1988 W 85-76
1989 W 74-87

* Lost in Post season

I don't see several terrible years here. Having suffered through the 1965-75 years makes our definition of terrible a bit different. :)

Kiwiwriter
01-10-05, 02:34 PM
Delgado in Shea would make a lot of sense for the Mets, and definitely put them into contention. With Beltran, Cameron, and Wright, they have a reasonable batting order. Whether anything but small mammals that eat the eggs can defeat Atlanta I don't know. The Braves keep re-inventing themselves pretty well.

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-10-05, 02:44 PM
I don't see several terrible years here. Having suffered through the 1965-75 years makes our definition of terrible a bit different. :)
Fair enough. I came of age with the late 70's renaissance. Tough life, I know. :)

JfromJersey
01-10-05, 03:48 PM
According to the FAN, Delgado and his agent are scheduled to meet with Minaya at the end of the week. So far it seems like Omar, and a boatload of cash, can be extremely persuasive..especially with Latino players.

b-ball-lunachick
01-10-05, 03:54 PM
I think he's next on their radar screen. They can probably afford to bloat their payroll further, and they do need another big bat. All indications are that (after all is said and done) the Mets will go down as the official gluttons of the off season...and who can blame them?

If I were them, I'd be less concerned about adding another big bat and more concerned about adding some bullpen help and maybe a defensive catcher...I don't see them spending that much on Delgado after Pedro and Beltran, new cable channel or not...

whalers
01-10-05, 04:03 PM
If I were them, I'd be less concerned about adding another big bat and more concerned about adding some bullpen help and maybe a defensive catcher...I don't see them spending that much on Delgado after Pedro and Beltran, new cable channel or not...

If they add delgado their lineup will be fierce. However they still need to figure out how they are going to get from the 6th inning to the 9th. Felix isnt going to help at all. he probably brings the bullpen a step back. If omar had half a brain he would be looking for a latino reliever to bring in instead of an overpriced delgado and the walking K machine that is sammy sosa. Mark my words if they do not get bullpen help these free agent signings will be all for not.

YankeePride1967
01-10-05, 04:06 PM
Scott Kazmir says hi.

You might want to read what is being talked about. Off-season action (what is being talked about) is November-March. Kazmir was traded in July (not between November-March).

boo_427
01-10-05, 04:11 PM
If the Mets trade for Sosa and sign Delgado would they have the highest payroll in baseball?

I just read on Insider that the Delgado to Texas deal was close to being done. I don't know what to believe. :dunno:

Prickly Pete
01-10-05, 06:05 PM
If the Mets trade for Sosa and sign Delgado would they have the highest payroll in baseball?

Right now their payroll is about half that of the Yankees (about $205 million compared to about $105 million).

If they add Sosa and Delgado, while subtracting Floyd (likely going to the Cubs in any Sosa deal), that would put them around the luxury tax threshold of $128 million.

Those are all rough numbers, but suffice to say they would be nowhere close to the highest payroll in baseball.

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-10-05, 06:20 PM
I'm pretty sure if the Mets merged with every ml team not located on River Ave., they still wouldn't have the highest payroll in baseball.

Icer
01-10-05, 06:34 PM
If Wilpon wants to make a big splash for his new TV network he needs to go all the way, yes Beltran and Pedro are huge moves especially for the notoriously cheap ideals of Fred and co. but getting Delgado would make the Mets a legitimate NL East contender. Possible de-throwning the Braves, that would create a huge amount of publicity in itself.

The Mets should try to structure a deal that will pay Carlos Delgado a big portion of his salary in 06' rather than 05' so they wont be limited by the payroll, since Mike Piazza's contract will no longer be on the books.

BeantownYankee
01-10-05, 07:32 PM

I just read on Insider that the Delgado to Texas deal was close to being done. I don't know what to believe. :dunno:

Without getting Delgado the Mets won't go far......

ColombiaYanksFan
01-10-05, 10:10 PM
Interesting. I'm still skeptical, but we shall see.

Yeah, I don't see how they're coming up with all this money after years of them putting on themselves a limit on their salary cap. I hope they don't get him because otherwise, they might become legitimate contenders.

Prickly Pete
01-11-05, 01:12 PM
Today's Fort-Worth Star-Telegram:

The Rangers are expecting Delgado to sign with the New York Mets for $12-$14 million per year. The Rangers have already shown a reluctance to go higher than $10 million per season.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/baseball/10616812.htm

yanks710
01-11-05, 06:15 PM
Latest from insider:

The Rangers can't afford to sign Delgado without also trading Alfonso Soriano, something that is looking less likely. The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports the Rangers expect Delgado to sign with the Mets for $12-$14 million per year. The Rangers don't want to go higher than $10 million per season.

ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reported Monday that the Mets were working to set up a meeting with Delgado's representatives for later this week. Carlos Beltran reportedly is trying to recruit Delgado to the Mets. The New York Times reports Beltran called Delgado on Sunday, moments after agreeing to join the Mets.

LuckyLopez
01-11-05, 07:35 PM
Yeah, I don't see how they're coming up with all this money after years of them putting on themselves a limit on their salary cap. I hope they don't get him because otherwise, they might become legitimate contenders.

If I remember correctly the story that Wilpon was telling for the last few seasons was that their limit was self imposed. According to him the bad contracts and mistakes had hurt them quite a bit but they had calculated that a few years of self imposed spending limitations would put them back in the black. The idea was to make that money back and right the ship financially allowing the team to start spending again right around the time that all the big contracts started to come off the books (not the least of which being Mo Vaughn's contract finally being lifted from their shoulders). Or at least that's how best I remember Wilpon as he always seemed to have the same response whenever interviewed and it always struck me as a fair plan that few people were giving him the chance to try and play out (of course being dubious about how willing he truly would be to increase spending).

Also, as best as I can tell they're somehow not increasing their payroll by that much. They've made a few cost cutting moves over the last few years and it looks like they're beginning to pay dividends on those. Plus, they have quite a few cheap young players and while they didn't unload much in the way of big contracts a quick look gives me the impression that they can add up some decent money with the smaller contracts they've lost... Gutierez made $4.5 mil (was bought out for $.75), Hidalgo $7 ($2 buyout), Leiter $8 ($2 buyout), and then a whole mess of guys making $1 mil or less. Its weird and I haven't done a ton of research to really figure it out but it just looks like all the little losses might add up to a decent sized saving. But I could be missing something.

JfromJersey
01-11-05, 09:50 PM
The Mets go from penny pinchers to spending fools in 1 short year.
Pedro..Beltran..probably Delgado..maybe Sosa. I'm surprised Minaya didn't offer Juan Gonzalez a megabucks deal too.

Chico E
01-14-05, 06:22 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/mets/38524.htm

Minaya said knowing the importance of family and personal contact in Latin culture gave him the idea of visiting Puerto Rico to recruit Beltran. He used the same technique to lure Pedro Martinez into a $53 million, four-year deal, and Minaya visited with Delgado here yesterday.

"Maybe the intuition of me understanding the culture led me to our strategy of, let's go a step further, let's go there," Minaya said.

LMAO! Oh, that crafty Omar! What stunning use of "technique" and "intuition".....and cash. Lots and lots of cash.

Beltran, in his first visit to his native Puerto Rico since signing a seven-year, $119 million contract with the Mets on Tuesday, said the presence of two Latinos in New York's front office — GM Omar Minaya, who is Dominican, and special assistant Tony Bernazard, a Puerto Rican — gave the Mets a family appeal that made the center fielder lean toward the team.

Is "family appeal" Spanish for, well, "lots and lots of cash"? They're killin' me! :P

Yep, more happy about the Johnson signing every single day.

sharoncass
01-14-05, 06:42 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/mets/38524.htm

Minaya said knowing the importance of family and personal contact in Latin culture gave him the idea of visiting Puerto Rico to recruit Beltran. He used the same technique to lure Pedro Martinez into a $53 million, four-year deal, and Minaya visited with Delgado here yesterday.

"Maybe the intuition of me understanding the culture led me to our strategy of, let's go a step further, let's go there," Minaya said.

LMAO! Oh, that crafty Omar! What stunning use of "technique" and "intuition".....and cash. Lots and lots of cash.

Beltran, in his first visit to his native Puerto Rico since signing a seven-year, $119 million contract with the Mets on Tuesday, said the presence of two Latinos in New York's front office — GM Omar Minaya, who is Dominican, and special assistant Tony Bernazard, a Puerto Rican — gave the Mets a family appeal that made the center fielder lean toward the team.

Is "family appeal" Spanish for, well, "lots and lots of cash"? They're killin' me! :P

Yep, more happy about the Johnson signing every single day.

Yeah, I'm sure that cash had nothing to do with it. It was the "family appeal." ;)

pinkheaven
01-14-05, 09:08 PM
Here we go...

Murcer'swerebest
01-14-05, 09:38 PM
Gee, and Pedro claimed that somehow Minaya alone visiting him on behalf of the Mets was showing him respect while 3 or 4 Red Sox execs visiting him at once wasn't. But now, Minaya visits Delgado with Fred Wilpon? So, is that respect or not, Pedro?

But as others noted above, professed reactions to stuff like that are almost certainly pure baloney uttered to justify drooling for and leaping at the most cash.

SoCal Pinstriper
01-16-05, 02:10 PM
Delgado met with the Marlins again yesterday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1967891

yanksphan
01-20-05, 07:50 PM
Un-F-ing-believable......

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_previousnews.asp?sport=MLB&leaguenum=&id=5178

According to Newsday, the Mets will offer Carlos Delgado a four-year deal worth about $45 million in their meeting today.

If true, it'd almost surely be the best proposal on the table. The Marlins are at $35 million over three years, but that includes deferred money. The Rangers are capping their bid at $10 million per season, another source told Newsday. And the thrifty Orioles don't seem willing to go higher than $25 million over three years, basically making this a three-team race.

Prickly Pete
01-20-05, 08:00 PM
Un-F-ing-believable......

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_previousnews.asp?sport=MLB&leaguenum=&id=5178

[/color]

That's what Troy Glaus got, and less than Sexson, I think. Delgado's much better than either of them.

SoCal Pinstriper
01-20-05, 08:03 PM
That's what Troy Glaus got, and less than Sexson, I think. Delgado's much better than either of them.If his knee is OK.

Prickly Pete
01-20-05, 08:50 PM
If his knee is OK.

I would think the injury concerns around Glaus would be much bigger. Delgado was a monster (OPS over 1.000) in the second half last year.

GIDP
01-20-05, 08:59 PM
who cares who wins the off-season? u dont get props or credit for newspaper headlines. u have to win games.

i don't get the excitement over the mets. they added a guy who is in decline and wasn't all that great last year, and they added Beltran. ok a good player, who signed with them for more money then he would have taken from the yankees.

beltran alone isn't going to move them from 70 wins to 90 wins. 2 years ago piazza was so horrible at catcher they moved him to 1b. so now 2 years later he's going to be okay to be a catcher again fulltime? how can that work out? reyes is over-rated even when hes healthy which isn't much. there bullpen was horrible and they added felix heredia. felix heredia! uh ok. matsui was horrible. floyd was horrible and in decline. cameron strikes out and sucked defensively. hit .230 and more garbage time homers than i ever saw before.

they got nothing.

i say the mets lose 85 games and are baseball biggest disappointments next year. mark it donnie! (big lebowski). there will be some nice headlines for them this summer. "MINAYA ON HOT SEAT AS METS STILL SUCK"

p.s. and someone feed piazzas girlfriend a sandwich or something. u see her picture in newsday? http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/nyc-piazza0120,0,1354592.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

yanksphan
01-20-05, 09:42 PM
That's what Troy Glaus got, and less than Sexson, I think. Delgado's much better than either of them.

Oh yeah, I agree - I was commenting more on the fact that the Mets are not done with their shopping spree.

Dooley Womack
01-21-05, 02:18 AM
Huge mistake for the Mets, IMO. His defense is suspect and if he stops hitting, as seems the norm when players come to the Mets, he'll be useless.

SoCal Pinstriper
01-21-05, 06:57 AM
I would think the injury concerns around Glaus would be much bigger. Delgado was a monster (OPS over 1.000) in the second half last year. Glaus is 28, and had corrective shoulder surgery.

His ops was over 1.000 in April, over 1.200, in May while playing hurt, and over 1.500 in the Angel's short post season after rehab from surgery (a small sample, but still impressive).

I'm on the side of youth here.

Delgado will be 33 in June. I don't think that I'm on too big a limb saying that in the final year of their deals, I, personally would rather have Glaus at 32 (probably at first by then) than a 37 year old Delgado in a league without a DH. :)

ieddyi
01-21-05, 07:44 AM
who cares who wins the off-season? u dont get props or credit for newspaper headlines. u have to win games.

i don't get the excitement over the mets. they added a guy who is in decline and wasn't all that great last year, and they added Beltran. ok a good player, who signed with them for more money then he would have taken from the yankees.

beltran alone isn't going to move them from 70 wins to 90 wins. 2 years ago piazza was so horrible at catcher they moved him to 1b. so now 2 years later he's going to be okay to be a catcher again fulltime? how can that work out? reyes is over-rated even when hes healthy which isn't much. there bullpen was horrible and they added felix heredia. felix heredia! uh ok. matsui was horrible. floyd was horrible and in decline. cameron strikes out and sucked defensively. hit .230 and more garbage time homers than i ever saw before.

they got nothing.

i say the mets lose 85 games and are baseball biggest disappointments next year. mark it donnie! (big lebowski). there will be some nice headlines for them this summer. "MINAYA ON HOT SEAT AS METS STILL SUCK"

p.s. and someone feed piazzas girlfriend a sandwich or something. u see her picture in newsday? http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/nyc-piazza0120,0,1354592.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

LOL , thanks for starting my day with a laugh- can't get enough of those Coen brothers references (THey've turned him itno a HORNY TOAD- gotta luv that delmar)

Prickly Pete
01-21-05, 07:57 AM
Glaus is 28, and had corrective shoulder surgery.

His ops was over 1.000 in April, over 1.200, in May while playing hurt, and over 1.500 in the Angel's short post season after rehab from surgery (a small sample, but still impressive).

I'm on the side of youth here.

Delgado will be 33 in June. I don't think that I'm on too big a limb saying that in the final year of their deals, I, personally would rather have Glaus at 32 (probably at first by then) than a 37 year old Delgado in a league without a DH. :)

Yes, Glaus is younger. He's also nowhere near as good as Delgado and never has been, and he hasn't played a full season since 2002.

Glaus has only had one season in which his OPS+ was better than Delgado's career average. And that was 5 years ago.

Sure, there's a good chance Delgado won't be worth $11 million a year in 4 years. There's no chance that Glaus is worth that much right now.

GimeMoMuny
01-22-05, 01:14 AM
Texas Emerges as Leader in Bidding for Delgado (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/22/sports/baseball/22mets.html?oref=login)
A member of an American League team's front office who has been briefed on the discussions said Texas offered Delgado, the free-agent first baseman, a four-year deal for about $48 million.

SheffMVP11
01-22-05, 01:49 AM
Yes, Glaus is younger. He's also nowhere near as good as Delgado and never has been, and he hasn't played a full season since 2002.

Glaus has only had one season in which his OPS+ was better than Delgado's career average. And that was 5 years ago.

Sure, there's a good chance Delgado won't be worth $11 million a year in 4 years. There's no chance that Glaus is worth that much right now.

Yup.

Delgado's a monster. Any team would be lucky to have him.

yanksphan
01-22-05, 09:12 AM
Texas Emerges as Leader in Bidding for Delgado (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/22/sports/baseball/22mets.html?oref=login)

I thought they needed pitching? Seems like they could have landed Wright, Clement, OPerez, EMilton etc for the same 4/48 or less....

AustinTXHorn
01-22-05, 09:55 AM
I thought they needed pitching? Seems like they could have landed Wright, Clement, OPerez, EMilton etc for the same 4/48 or less....
Delgado is a much bigger impact than any of those pitchers. The market for starting pitching out there was pretty terrible this year and everybody was way overpriced, so I'm glad that the Rangers didn't try to test it yet.

The Rangers offense was one of the worst in the majors during the second half of last season and the ERA was 5th in the AL over the whole season. I think Delgado is a much bigger move than a pitcher like the ones that you listed. They had a huge hole in the lineup last year at 1B/DH and now that will be filled.

I will be pretty upset if they do not go after a front line starting pitcher next year, though. I expect them to do it next year. I think one of the main reasons that the Rangers haven't gone out to get anybody yet is because they want to see how the young guys pan out that had a chance last year, but most of them got hurt. The guys like Chris Young, Juan Dominguez, and Ricardo Rodriguez.

thesportshero
01-22-05, 07:42 PM
A moron gave me that information that Delgado signed with the Mets and he heard it on FSN NY.

Now he says he was joking.

Sorry about that guys.

I don't see Delgado signing with the Mets, it really looks as if Texas will get him. It would be a great signing for them, IMO, cause it beefs up the offense even more and considering there aren't any good pitching options out there at a reasonable price, this seems like a logical move to improve the team.

AlongCameAPrincess
01-23-05, 06:14 PM
Delgado is waiting too long... I think Texas will greatly benefit from having Delgado there. I don't know if the Mets could handle a clubhouse with Delgado and Pedro at the same time.

ring403
01-23-05, 10:43 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/24/sports/baseball/24delgado.html

Carlos Delgado will play for the Mets or the Florida Marlins next season, and the Mets are the front-runners to sign him, according to an American League executive who has been briefed about the negotiations.

But, the executive added, the competition between the Mets and the Marlins to sign Delgado remained close last night.

At least he'll be out of the A.L. East. :)

nnysiny
01-23-05, 10:43 PM
from the sports guy Marvell Scott(sp?). NBC (Bruce Beck) also just said that the Rangers dropped out. i guess he will be a Marlin

RhodeyYankee2638
01-23-05, 11:06 PM
ESPN is reporting that the Rangers and Mets have both dropped out of the race.

jonnyc39
01-23-05, 11:08 PM
Delgado is waiting too long... I think Texas will greatly benefit from having Delgado there. I don't know if the Mets could handle a clubhouse with Delgado and Pedro at the same time.
Everything I've heard about Delgado says he is a great clubhouse guy. What are you talking about? And I hope it's not just the God Bless America thing...

ring403
01-23-05, 11:26 PM
Newsday confirms that the Mets are out:
http://www.nynewsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spdelgado0124,0,1972092.story?coll=nyc-sportshome-headlines

The Mets, who at one point appeared to be a frontrunner for Carlos Delgado, pulled out of negotiations last night -- hours after the Rangers did the same -- as the free-agent first baseman moved closer to signing with the Marlins in a deal that could be completed today.

A day earlier, the Mets improved their proposal to Delgado, making him a four-year offer in the $48-million range that matched similar offers presented by the Rangers, Marlins and Orioles.

But a source said last night that the Mets were growing anxious for a resolution, needing to know if they had to start looking for another first baseman. When Delgado's agent, David Sloane, balked at the ultimatum, they walked, and the Mets now are likely to pursue a Plan B that will include outfielder Magglio Ordoñez and either Travis Lee or John Olerud.

RhodeyYankee2638
01-24-05, 08:38 AM
http://www.nynewsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spdelgado0124,0,1972092.story?coll=nyc-sportshome-headlines

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1973917

yanksphan
01-24-05, 11:49 AM

and now they're back IN:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-delgado-rdp&prov=ap&type=lgns

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr><td class="yspsctnhdln">Mets and Delgado resume talks</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="7"><spacer type="block" height="1" width="1"></td> </tr> </tbody> </table> By RONALD BLUM, AP Sports Writer
January 24, 2005

NEW YORK (AP) -- The New York Mets and Carlos Delgado resumed talks Monday, a day after the free-agent first baseman let the team's deadline for a deal pass.

The Texas Rangers withdrew their offer Sunday, and Delgado's agent, David Sloane, said the Mets had pulled out, too, although the team said it was awaiting a response. Sloane and the Mets talked again Monday, two people with knowledge of the talks said on condition of anonymity.

luvtheway
01-24-05, 11:59 AM
According to the FAN, Delgado and his agent are scheduled to meet with Minaya at the end of the week. So far it seems like Omar, and a boatload of cash, can be extremely persuasive..especially with Latino players.

Thank goodness, we don't have to do that in order to bring talent here. :o

JfromJersey
01-24-05, 12:04 PM
Just like the Yankees had a wet dream about Randy Johnson, the Mets seem to have a wet dream about every big name Latino player that's available. Look for them to sweeten the pot in order to land Delgado.

luvtheway
01-24-05, 12:13 PM
Just like the Yankees had a wet dream about Randy Johnson, the Mets seem to have a wet dream about every big name Latino player that's available. Look for them to sweeten the pot in order to land Delgado.

The Latino thing is merely a coincidence.
-They signed the Best FA pitcher, Pedro Martinez.
-They signed the Best FA player, Carlos Beltran.
-They are pursuing the best FA 1st Baseman, Carlos Delgado.

I guess there are just a whole lot of great latino players, nothing wrong with that.

ieddyi
01-24-05, 12:51 PM
The Latino thing is merely a coincidence.
-They signed the Best FA pitcher, Pedro Martinez.
-They signed the Best FA player, Carlos Beltran.
-They are pursuing the best FA 1st Baseman, Carlos Delgado.

I guess there are just a whole lot of great latino players, nothing wrong with that.

At the risk of being politically incorrect, I don't think it is a coincidence. THe Mets have always struggled to establish their own identity. Marketing towards the large hispanic market just makes sense for them with the new network opening next year. Being hispanic himself, minaya precieves that that gives him an edge with latin players. Combine that with overpaying grossly for talent and Omar has had his way this offseason

aeromac76
01-24-05, 01:00 PM
The Mets have done themselves a good job and have more of the offseason headline, but the Yankees got the biggest prize out there in RJ. Not to mention, you want to say the Mets have more offseason headlines? That comes from team improvement. They had nowhere to go but up!!

Look, our major issues were the starting rotation and depth of the bullpen. We have strengthened both immeasurably. Our offense was not an issue and does not figure to be this year. Our OF defense is questionable, but if we lose the chance to win it all because of OF defense, I'll be shocked.
For all the Mets acquisitions, they now have a nice rotation and nice everyday lineup, but their bullpen is not even enough to carry a AAA team to the international league title.
They are not a finished product and even if they do contend, who cares?? I'll worry about them the 6 games we play against them and if we both make it to the WS, I'll have my heart attack then..
We have bigger fish to fry. The Red Sox are going nowhere and the Angels have improved with Finley coming on board. I am far more concerned about those two teams standing between us and the Series.
The Mets may have improved, but they had room to, we won 101 games last year, they won, what, 70??? They had a lot more to do than we did..
Personally I like them being an issue again, makes me feel like NY is the true baseball capital of the universe again.. The buzz is great for us this offseason, and you have to give the Mets some credit for the NY area buzzing about it..

LuckyLopez
01-24-05, 01:35 PM
With all due respect the only quote out of those 3 that says ANYTHING besides "the 3 top guys they have signed/pursued are all latino" is the Leiter quote. Noone is denying that Beltran, Martinez and Delgado are latino. The canada.com article doesn't even attempt to suggest that the latino thing is an angle as the article is all about Minaya's ability to use his experience/heritage to help him in business (such as going to Puerto Rico to conduct business and holding a press conference there in spanish). And it should of course be noted that Leiter is LESS than an unbiased observor considering the fact that he (a) bashed Minaya earlier this offseason, (b) was released by Minaya, and (c) is trying to lure Delgado to the Marlins.

But I agree with Leiter's main point. Omar has a potential advantage over other GMs due to his heritage. Sometimes it might help to lure in latino players and sometimes it might not (and in the end there's probably a few redneck players who this will turn away). Its not much different from the potential advantages that Cashman or Epstein have over other GMs, just of a different nature. But there's a difference between "using the 'latino angle' to help acquire the intended talents" and "acquiring talents based on the 'latino angle.'" The idea that Omar acquired Beltran and Martinez BECAUSE they are latino is just plain stupid. The idea that he wants Delgado BECAUSE he's latino is stupid. He wants them because they were the best talent available on the free agent market. Being latino is a perk since it allows him to use his own heritage to try and sell them on the Mets and then use the signing of latino talent to try and lure other latino talents. Not to mention to try and lure in the latino demographic. But there isn't a single example available in those three players to suggest that he made his decisions based on race or heritage. And anyone who suggests there is while simultaneously ignoring the OTHER big offseason move in hiring Willie Randolph is either being completely dishonest or has a giant blindspot.

The Omar latino thing isn't much different from his being a New Yorker which he painted as a factor when they hired Randolph. Latino. New Yorker. They're aspects of Minaya that he has and can use to try and appeal himself and his team to free agents and fans. But are we accusing him of hiring Randolph BECAUSE he's a New Yorker?

NJ Fan
01-24-05, 02:02 PM
Lucky Lopez-

You're making it seem that we're implying it's a bad thing that Minaya seems to be targeting Latinos. It's not. I deleted my post that you referred to, because the Times article linked, can't be read without first registering. When I have a few minutes later, I'll re-post the paragraphs that clearly state that there has been some deliberate Latino recruitment on the Mets' part.

luvtheway
01-24-05, 02:06 PM
At the risk of being politically incorrect, I don't think it is a coincidence. THe Mets have always struggled to establish their own identity. Marketing towards the large hispanic market just makes sense for them with the new network opening next year. Being hispanic himself, minaya precieves that that gives him an edge with latin players. Combine that with overpaying grossly for talent and Omar has had his way this offseason

Not politically incorrect, but naive maybe. Yes, they are establishing an Identity, but like I said they have chased the BEST available talent at their respective positions. They just happen to be Latino. Can you argue with that?

As far as grossly overpaying, no one does that better then us. Lets get real, our Bullpen ($33m) alone costs more then three major league teams' (Pirates, Devil Rays, Brewers) total payroll. Our starting staff's cost (55m) is more then the total payroll for 12 different teams.You can take the top two teams in each division, in some cases three, add their payroll up and it does not equal to what we spend. Lets not try to act like spoiled brats. They have had a very good offseason, whereas we have done little. In fact, because of what we have done this offseason, IMHO, our team is in worst shape for years to come.

luvtheway
01-24-05, 02:07 PM
Lucky Lopez-

You're making it seem that we're implying it's a bad thing that Minaya seems to be targeting Latinos. It's not. I deleted my post that you referred to, because the Times article linked, can't be read without first registering. When I have a few minutes later, I'll re-post the paragraphs that clearly state that there has been some deliberate Latino recruitment on the Mets' part.

Is it not wise to recruit the best players available?

luvtheway
01-24-05, 02:09 PM
They are not a finished product and even if they do contend, who cares?? I'll worry about them the 6 games we play against them and if we both make it to the WS, I'll have my heart attack then..
We have bigger fish to fry. The Red Sox are going nowhere and the Angels have improved with Finley coming on board. I am far more concerned about those two teams standing between us and the Series.
The Mets may have improved, but they had room to, we won 101 games last year, they won, what, 70??? They had a lot more to do than we did..
Personally I like them being an issue again, makes me feel like NY is the true baseball capital of the universe again.. The buzz is great for us this offseason, and you have to give the Mets some credit for the NY area buzzing about it..

Thank you, I agree 100%.

LuckyLopez
01-24-05, 02:30 PM
Lucky Lopez-

I should completely admit that its highly possible for me to react negatively to something that doesn't deserve it. Considering that fans have been calling Minaya racist this offseason its easy for me to then read a post from someone who intends nothing like that as similar. So if I did, I apologize, just as I apologize upfront should I do it again.

My point is there's a difference between "targeting latinos" and "targeting players who happen to be latino." I've read/heard that there is better evidence of Minaya doing it in Montreal but I have no knowledge of that (and noone I've read/heard has ever presented much of a case). But judging purely from this offseason there seems to be no evidence that he's actually targeting players because they are latino. Does that make sense? He clearly targeted latinos but in the same way that the Yankees targeted tall, weird looking pitchers with bad hair. Truthfully, the part in this whole debate that constantly infuriates me is that Randolph is NEVER mentioned and that guys like Galaragga and the catcher given minor league contracts are brought into the conversation (although they obviouslly haven't in this thread).

And that's odd about the Times article. I got it to link no problem and can still access it through my history. The only part that I find that seems to suggest "deliberate Latino recruitment" is this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/21/sports/baseball/21mets.html

The Mets are trying to score a Latin American hat trick of sorts on the free-agent market by adding Delgado. They have already signed Pedro Martínez, the standout pitcher from the Dominican Republic, and Carlos Beltran, the standout center fielder from Puerto Rico, to contracts totaling $172 million.

In both instances, the Mets visited the players in their native countries and eventually signed them by offering the most lucrative deals. Will that trend continue now that they have visited Delgado in his own country? Minaya, who did not return a message, and the Mets are hopeful of making it three in a row. So is Martínez, who joined Beltran, Delgado's friend, in trying to recruit Delgado.

Even the author doesn't seem to go into any suggestion of it being based on the latino thing. In fact he brings Olerud and Mientkiewicz as options in the next paragraph should Delgado fall through. Perhaps I got send to the wrong article? Or I'm just missing something?

kayebee
01-24-05, 02:55 PM
I don't understand what "advantage" Minaya has with Latino players--he's paid through the nose for Martinez and Beltran, and he will pay through the nose for Delgado--the only "advantage" seems to be the willingness of the Mets to pony up the big bucks for these guys. The Mets have been the first choice of none of them, Latino GM or no Latino GM.

These guys aren't signing there because Minaya is Latino--they're signing there because that's where the money is.

I think it's a smart marketing idea (and may be intentional by the Mets) and it could build fan loyalty among Latinos in New York and around the country. Not sure what it's like in NYC, but I grew up in Connecticut and there were Yankee fans and there were Red Sox fans, and, in 1986, there were Mets fans. This franchise needs to do something to build fan loyalty.

Not sure if I understand the racism charge some folks are making--alll of these players are very good, the best available in the free agent market, and will improve the team. The fact that they are Latino is an additional benefit, which may be exploited--the Mets need to do something to distinguish themselves and sell merchandise and it makes sense to target a specific baseball audience. Whether or not Latino fans will be more impressed by the ethnicity of players or winning games remains to be seen.

luvtheway
01-24-05, 03:01 PM
I've read/heard that there is better evidence of Minaya doing it in Montreal but I have no knowledge of that (and noone I've read/heard has ever presented much of a case).

He did target Latinos in Montreal, he traded Vazquez to us for Nicko Johnsono and let Guerrero walk.

I guess you can say he targeted them to get out of town. :(

luvtheway
01-24-05, 03:05 PM
I don't understand what "advantage" Minaya has with Latino players--he's paid through the nose for Martinez and Beltran, and he will pay through the nose for Delgado--the only "advantage" seems to be the willingness of the Mets to pony up the big bucks for these guys. The Mets have been the first choice of none of them, Latino GM or no Latino GM.

Which till this point, that advantage was ours (Yankees) exclusively.

LuckyLopez
01-24-05, 03:32 PM

I don't know if the "advantage" of Minaya being latino HAS come into play yet but I think it could. Its the same as people saying that so-and-so doesn't want to play in NY or in a large market or so-and-so wanting to be closer to home. I don't know if it meant anything to Pedro, Beltran or Delgado (although I thought Beltran was quoted as saying it did somewhat) but there was a lot of talk last season that Guerrero was interested in a team that had a good latino base. And in the end its been said that part of the reason he went to the Angels was the latino owner and the fact that the game was broadcast in spanish. So I don't know that it was a factor this offseason but I think it CAN be.

AlongCameAPrincess
01-24-05, 03:45 PM
Everything I've heard about Delgado says he is a great clubhouse guy. What are you talking about? And I hope it's not just the God Bless America thing...

Politically he can do whatever he wants, that's his choice to make.

Yet, I don't like him too much as a person and I know why. He's a good guy, a family guy and all, though...and a good hitter. Let's just leave it there.

--------------

I think Minaya wants to bring Latin people into baseball and especially the Mets, his new team. I don't know if getting all this Latin talent will do the trick but at least they are good players.

ring403
01-24-05, 03:50 PM
I don't know if the "advantage" of Minaya being latino HAS come into play yet but I think it could.

It may be a nice "bonus" for a Latino player to have a Latino GM, just like it's nice to have good schools, or a low tax rate in a particular city, but money is by far the overriding factor for 95% of players, and rightfully so.

LuckyLopez
01-24-05, 05:46 PM
For the most part I completely agree. But all things being equal (or relatively equal) that sort of thing can help. If a latino player gets two similar offers from two similar teams but one of them is delivered on his doorstep in DR in his native tongue MAYBE that could serve as a catalyst. Money has to be the primary concern (at least for most FAs... it doesn't HAVE to be the main concern from a guy who's been a multi millionaire for a decade) for most folks but then something makes you decide to go one way rather than the other. A ballpark that fits you more, an environment you're more comfortable in, being closer to home, playing for a team your family loves... whatever. From time to time it factors in. Pavano grew up a Yankee fan. Schilling wanted to be the guy to break the curse. Pettitte wanted to go home. Guerrero loves his momma. The level that it actually affects these guys is debatable (and pretty much impossible for any of us to know) but its there in some way (most of the time). They're not pure mercs.

TheScooter
01-25-05, 06:39 AM
Are the Marlins close to landing Delgado?

The Marlins might have seized the upper hand in negotiations for Carlos Delgado and could be on the cusp of completing a deal with the slugger, sources said Monday.

''The Marlins are in prime position right now,'' said a baseball industry source who spoke on condition of anonymity. ``I would be surprised if it went in another direction. I think he's going to be a Marlin.''

One way or the other, negotiations aren't expected to drag on much longer, and the 32-year-old first baseman could announce his decision today. The Marlins have given Delgado's agent their final offer: $50 million for four years.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/10725850.htm?1c

ring403
01-25-05, 07:03 AM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spmets254125133jan25,0,215146.story?coll=ny-mets-bigpix

All three teams are believed to be in the same ballpark financially -- the Mets' latest offer is a four-year deal around $50 million -- but some of the Marlins' money is deferred and Sloane has given few clues about his client's preference.

As for Sloane himself, he does not seem to be very fond of the Mets. The agent dumped them Sunday night without the courtesy of a phone call, and despite the club's offseason makeover, Sloane said in an e-mail exchange that the Mets have no better shot at making the playoffs than the Orioles -- a team that shares a division with the Yankees and Red Sox.

luvtheway
01-25-05, 10:12 AM
Politically he can do whatever he wants, that's his choice to make.

Yet, I don't like him too much as a person and I know why. He's a good guy, a family guy and all, though...and a good hitter. Let's just leave it there.

--------------

I think Minaya wants to bring Latin people into baseball and especially the Mets, his new team. I don't know if getting all this Latin talent will do the trick but at least they are good players.

What the heck are you talking about?

First you say he is not a good clubhouse guy, now you say you know why you dislike him, but give no reason. If you make a statement such as "he is not a good clubhouse guy", you have the duty to back it up. Otherwise, you are just posting for the sake of posting without knowing what the heck yopu are talking about.

As far as Minaya wanting to bring Latin People into baseball, they are already in baseball. Latinos make up to 1/3 of all professional baseball players. If the best players available in the free agent market happen to be Latino, why would you not go after them? What is your point?

whalers
01-25-05, 10:28 AM
As for Sloane himself, he does not seem to be very fond of the Mets. The agent dumped them Sunday night without the courtesy of a phone call, and despite the club's offseason makeover, Sloane said in an e-mail exchange that the Mets have no better shot at making the playoffs than the Orioles -- a team that shares a division with the Yankees and Red Sox

I really hope this happened. I swift kick in the pants to omar and his efforts to build a playoff team.

mvavra1
01-25-05, 10:44 AM

It seems to me that most of the big name players now are Latino, so it's no big deal that the Mets are getting them.

luvtheway
01-25-05, 11:03 AM
I really hope this happened. I swift kick in the pants to omar and his efforts to build a playoff team.

Boy are we a bit insecure, a playoff team in Queens is exactly what this city (not to mention baseball) needs.

If the Mets are able to build a contender, it will take away from the microscope that this team will be under because of the connections of Giambi and Sheffield to BALCO. Did you forget about that?

whalers
01-25-05, 12:40 PM
Boy are we a bit insecure, a playoff team in Queens is exactly what this city (not to mention baseball) needs.

If the Mets are able to build a contender, it will take away from the microscope that this team will be under because of the connections of Giambi and Sheffield to BALCO. Did you forget about that?

insecure..... i think not. I have never liked the mets never will how does that make me insecure???? As we have already seen the signings of two bigger names have not taken the microscope off the yankees and neither will delgado. steroids and balco will never slip under the radar as you suggest.

haha17
01-25-05, 01:37 PM
I heard Boston want Petit(Mets) For Minky..Ball stealer
Non sense!