View Full Version : The NFL: Wild Card Weekend

RIyankee
01-06-05, 12:28 PM
POSTSEASON
Wild Card Weekend

Saturday, Jan. 8
4:30 p.m. on ABC
St. Louis at Seattle
Third time will be a charm for the Seahawks. Seattle is healthier and has more of a balanced attack.
Seahawks 38-34

Saturday, Jan. 8
8:00 p.m. on ABC
N.Y. Jets at San Diego
Beep...beep...beep. That's the sound of the Jets backing into the playoffs. San Diego has gotten better since their 34-28 loss to the New York on Week 2.
Chargers 31-10

Sunday, Jan. 9
1:00 p.m. on CBS
Denver at Indianapolis
The Colts will look ahead to Foxboro and trip over Denver in the process. This is a trap game for the Colts.
Broncos 30-27

Sunday, Jan. 9
4:30 p.m. on FOX
Minnesota at Green Bay
What's sad is that the Saints and Panthers were better teams than the Vikings.
Packers 42-24

twentyquestions
01-06-05, 01:24 PM
Trap game? In the playoffs? That's a little far-fetched, but we'll see.

JeffWeaverFan
01-06-05, 01:40 PM
There is no way the Broncos beat the Colts. I admire the risky pick but there's no way. If you want an upset, you go with the Jets upsetting the Chargers, not the Broncos upsetting the Colts. By the way, I have no problem with thinking the Chargers will win - if I had to bet, I'd bet that way too. But, there's no way they crush them like that. The Jets have too much talent and don't turn the ball over enough to get killed like that. I expect it to be a close game.

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
01-06-05, 02:07 PM
There is no way the Broncos beat the Colts. I admire the risky pick but there's no way. If you want an upset, you go with the Jets upsetting the Chargers, not the Broncos upsetting the Colts.

It's probably unlikely, but not illogical to think it could happen. The Broncos are top 10 offensively, and 4th in overall defense vs the Colts' 29th ranked defense. Of course, the stats used in determining overall offense/defense are misleading (total yardage), but that's still something to think about. It's very possible that if the Broncos play mistake-free football (JAKE PLUMMER :thatsodd: ), they could make this a lot closer than people think.

RIyankee
01-06-05, 02:38 PM
But, there's no way they crush them like that. The Jets have too much talent and don't turn the ball over enough to get killed like that. I expect it to be a close game.

The Jets lost to the Rams. The Rams.
The Pats held them to only 7 points at home.
Pennington looks shaky.
Players are questioning the coaching.

This is no way to enter the postseason. Meanwhile SD is running on all cylinders. IMO the Jets have no chance.

Pepper03
01-06-05, 04:08 PM
I think that Colts score is wishful thinking. I just can't see the Broncos going into the ArenaDome and beating the Pinball Wizards.
I can see the Jets with more of a chance to beat the Chargers, but I'm going with the four home teams this week.

S2
01-06-05, 04:17 PM
You know, I picked the Colts to beat the Broncos in the other thread, but over this past week, I like how the Broncos are approaching this game. You need to punch soft teams like the Colts in the mouth and then go from there. The way Lynch and Kennedy are approaching this game, I think they have a good chance to pull an upset now. The Broncos got Bailey and Lynch because of what happened last year, now they have to prove they've improved.

Pepper03
01-06-05, 04:21 PM
What am I missing here. Do you think the Lynch hit is going to freak out the Colts so much they won't be able to play? I don't think they're that soft.
I'd love to see them lose, but I don't think they have more than a 5% chance of doing it.

S2
01-06-05, 04:48 PM
What am I missing here. Do you think the Lynch hit is going to freak out the Colts so much they won't be able to play? I don't think they're that soft.
I'd love to see them lose, but I don't think they have more than a 5% chance of doing it.

Jim Rome quoted Kennoy Kennedy saying that the Colts recievers were just looking for a place to lay down (or something to that effect). It has been proven time and time again that teams that score a ton of points on turf are not as physical as other teams. John Lynch is physical.

The Colts were proven to be soft last year when Marvin Harrison was roughed up by Ty Law and Rodney Harrison. He had 3 catches in that game. Soft teams don't play physical games, so when teams play them rough, they fold.

As for the Colts freaking out, it happened to the Rams in 2001. They were hit in the beginning and couldn't play their game.

I'm torn though. If the Colts lose in the first round, they can't lose in Foxboro. Decisions, decisions.

Pepper03
01-06-05, 04:57 PM
There's nothing I'd enjoy more than sending the Colts home again! I know what the Pats did against the Rams in the Super Bowl, the Rams never really recovered from that, did they. I just think the Colts aren't quite as wimpy as the Lambs, but I guess we shall see. Don't you just love those dome teams. :P

NYYFAN
01-06-05, 04:59 PM
I disagree with most of Ri's picks...looks like I'm going to be fine...:lol:

S2
01-06-05, 05:02 PM
There's nothing I'd enjoy more than sending the Colts home again! I know what the Pats did against the Rams in the Super Bowl, the Rams never really recovered from that, did they. I just think the Colts aren't quite as wimpy as the Lambs, but I guess we shall see. Don't you just love those dome teams. :P

Unfortunately, because of the Pats handing it to the Colts and Rams, that new (or just newly enforced) 5-yard rule is in place. Martz and Dungy complained that what the Pats did was pass interference.

I'm also hoping for snow next weekend, the weather is the 12th man in Foxboro.

Pepper03
01-06-05, 05:04 PM
We need wind, lots and lots of wind! Yes, Martz and Dungy whined about the "holding". Makes me want to kick their butts even more, don't you agree?

S2
01-06-05, 05:24 PM
We need wind, lots and lots of wind! Yes, Martz and Dungy whined about the "holding". Makes me want to kick their butts even more, don't you agree?

Unforunately, Martz won't be around to beat this year, but as for the Colts, bring it on!

YankeePride1967
01-06-05, 05:34 PM
And as of this morning, the game between the juggernaut Rams (8-8) and the Seahawks (9-7) has yet to sell out so the locals will likely get blacked out. You can say all you want about the Braves in baseball, but this is ONE GAME and the first home playoff game in years.

S2
01-06-05, 06:07 PM
And as of this morning, the game between the juggernaut Rams (8-8) and the Seahawks (9-7) has yet to sell out so the locals will likely get blacked out. You can say all you want about the Braves in baseball, but this is ONE GAME and the first home playoff game in years.

That's sad, especially for a sport that is supposedly ultra-popular.

Pepper03
01-06-05, 06:14 PM
Do the Seahawks usually sell out during the regular season. Maybe people there are disgusted with the team and are showing their displeasure.

#1PaFan
01-06-05, 08:20 PM
POSTSEASON
Wild Card Weekend

Sunday, Jan. 9
Minnesota at Green Bay
Packers 42-24

Oh ................!!! :scared: :scared: :scared:

twentyquestions
01-06-05, 08:39 PM
Do the Seahawks usually sell out during the regular season. Maybe people there are disgusted with the team and are showing their displeasure.

It's actually a game that Seattle will probably win, so I'm surprised that it hasn't sold out.

Not like Seattle would be capable of hosting a good team, anyway.

YankeePride1967
01-06-05, 08:40 PM

Yes they do.

Clive
01-06-05, 09:00 PM
Sunday, Jan. 9
Minnesota at Green Bay
Packers 42-24Zing! :lol:

JeffWeaverFan
01-06-05, 10:21 PM
The Jets lost to the Rams. The Rams.
The Pats held them to only 7 points at home.
Pennington looks shaky.
Players are questioning the coaching.

This is no way to enter the postseason. Meanwhile SD is running on all cylinders. IMO the Jets have no chance.
They played like crap against the Rams. That was the problem. Herm Edwards was on Mike and the Mad Dog and was saying how much better Chad was looking in practice that day. That's good news. They definitely have a chance and the game will be very close.

edit: The fact is they definitely have more of a chance than the Broncos do.

ZORRO
01-09-05, 02:08 PM
POSTSEASON
Wild Card Weekend

Saturday, Jan. 8
4:30 p.m. on ABC
St. Louis at Seattle
Third time will be a charm for the Seahawks. Seattle is healthier and has more of a balanced attack.
Seahawks 38-34

Saturday, Jan. 8
8:00 p.m. on ABC
N.Y. Jets at San Diego
Beep...beep...beep. That's the sound of the Jets backing into the playoffs. San Diego has gotten better since their 34-28 loss to the New York on Week 2.
Chargers 31-10

Sunday, Jan. 9
1:00 p.m. on CBS
Denver at Indianapolis
The Colts will look ahead to Foxboro and trip over Denver in the process. This is a trap game for the Colts.
Broncos 30-27

Sunday, Jan. 9
Minnesota at Green Bay
Packers 42-24

35-3 at the half. This games looks like Louisville playing a high school. If I coached Denver I would not bring the team out for the second half.

OK..Gooooooo Vikes...I put 100 bucks on them.

NYYFAN
01-09-05, 03:08 PM
If I'm the Packers I would be scared based on Marks record this week...:lol:

Soriambi
01-09-05, 03:42 PM

Not that he's any worse than all of the football "experts" on the TV shows or anything. :lol:

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
01-09-05, 05:00 PM
Welp, looks like I'm rooting for the Colts by default from here on out, as they are the only team left I don't utterly and completely despise. (I would anyway, now that the Broncos are gone, as I'd like to see Peyton win the big one to shut up all his critics.)

Soriambi
01-09-05, 05:37 PM
Welp, looks like I'm rooting for the Colts by default from here on out, as they are the only team left I don't utterly and completely despise. (I would anyway, now that the Broncos are gone, as I'd like to see Peyton win the big one to shut up all his critics.)

What do you have against the Jets?! :P

JeffWeaverFan
01-09-05, 06:29 PM
You didn't do too well this week with the predictions. ;)

IntangiblesRule
01-09-05, 06:41 PM
Whatever you pick next week, I got the opposite :)

RIyankee
01-10-05, 09:52 AM
Whatever you pick next week, I got the opposite :)

Ah, what do I know. :lol:

RIyankee
01-10-05, 09:52 AM

:lol:

Mark, good one. :)

At least I feel better than George right now. :eek:

RIyankee
01-10-05, 09:55 AM
You didn't do too well this week with the predictions. ;)

Taylor, congrats! :gulp:

I made a post in the Jets analysis thread. :D

Egg on my face. :D

NYYFAN
01-10-05, 12:28 PM
:lol:

Mark, good one. :)

At least I feel better than George right now. :eek:

George must be insane...well more insane than usual...he hates the Vikes and look what they did...I bet there isn't a beer left in Grey Bay...:D

#1PaFan
01-10-05, 09:52 PM
George must be insane...well more insane than usual...he hates the Vikes and look what they did...I bet there isn't a beer left in Grey Bay...:D

I was in a REALLY crappy mood most of the day. Yeah, I downed enough beers to kill a normal person. :)

BTW, Bitch, How did the Raiders do this weekend? :P :D :gulp:

NYYFAN
01-11-05, 10:38 AM
I was in a REALLY crappy mood most of the day. Yeah, I downed enough beers to kill a normal person. :)

BTW, Bitch, How did the Raiders do this weekend? :P :D :gulp:

Home looking forward to a high draft pick... :D

Time for Brett to retire buddy...the magic is gone...

#1PaFan
01-11-05, 11:49 AM
Home looking forward to a high draft pick... :D

Time for Brett to retire buddy...the magic is gone...

You should have heard the conversations I had in Titletown this past weekend. I Know you're trying in your feeble attempt to bust my balls, but there might be some actual Truth in what you typed, my Raider Bitch :(

Brett has NOTHING to prove to anybody. He's been a Kid out there having more fun than anybody should be allowed to. He did SO MUCH with SO LITTLE.

My Pack NEVER had a losing season with Brett. Never. With the Swiss cheesehead Defense we've had the past few years, that's f**king incredible.

I thing I love most about Brett is how he would lead a reverse sweep. Watching him knock a linebacker on his ass was just classic. There aren't too many QBs willing to do that these days.

Plus, I got ripped with his Old Man, drinking some of the most lethal alcohol ever made (that moonshine put hair on my liver), and standing next to Irv pissing at a urinal while he told me "Quaker, that ................ing guy is an Asshole. He an Asshole, Quaker. He an Asshole. An Asshole, Quaker. (the asshole he was talking about was a defensive lineman on a former Division Rival.)

Whatever Brett decides to do, I'll support. If he walks away, who could blame him? If he stays, I'll be ecstatic! I just don't want him to limp out of the spotlight.

NYYFAN
01-11-05, 11:54 AM
I just don't want him to limp out of the spotlight.

His limp started in the home loss to Atlanta a couple of years ago...he's had some bad playoff games the past few years...he should leave while people remember his good years...

#1PaFan
01-11-05, 12:15 PM
His limp started in the home loss to Atlanta a couple of years ago...he's had some bad playoff games the past few years...he should leave while people remember his good years...
Yeah, you are right. The Wins have been about him and the losses have been too.

I don't know what the answer is. I just know that I'll be very upset when he hangs it up.

I never really, truly understood how painful it was for so many people to see Mickey walk up to plate when "it" was gone. Brett has some game winning homers left but I just don't want to see him hang on to something that isn't there anymore.