PDA

View Full Version : Reggie White - RIP

NJ Fan
12-26-04, 11:22 AM
Just announced on ESPN. Reggie White died of a heart attack. He was so young! Only 43!

http://espn.go.com/classic/obit/s/2004/1226/1953400.html

For those not too familiar with the man and the NFL player, here's some info...
http://www.packers.com/team/players/white_reggie/

George, I'm sure you were a big fan. I'm very sorry.

texasyankee
12-26-04, 11:24 AM
ESPN reported that Reggie just celebrated his 41st birthday about one week ago.
Whatever his age, he was truely a classy gentleman and a great football player.

texasyankee
12-26-04, 11:31 AM
I guess it was one of the panelists on ESPN that said Reggie had just turned 41. However, now they are saying he was 43.
Way too young. May God bless his family.

Casey37
12-26-04, 11:41 AM
I honestly don't know what to say...I'm speechless.

yankeesfaninaz
12-26-04, 12:29 PM
I wish his family, friends and the football world all the best. RIP Reggie. I hope that he can get into the HOF right away like Terry Bradshaw said this morning. I can not believe that this happened to a guy like this.

BroadwayBomber55
12-26-04, 12:30 PM
RIP Reggie White.

A great football player as one of the best pass rushers in the game. A classy guy and a true gentleman. My condolences go to his family and friends.

YanksForLife
12-26-04, 12:33 PM
RIP Reggie

BroadwayBomber55
12-26-04, 12:40 PM
"The Minister of Defense" Reggie White was a great player when he was with the Philadelphia Eagles with Jerome Brown and I remember Reggie sayin' a great tribute to Jerome Brown in Veterans Stadium when Brown died from a car crash.

Reggie was also a great player with the Green Bay Packers, one of the most key components on winning the 1995-96 Super Bowl acquired by Ron Wolf. I remember him recovering a fumble vs. the Raiders, Dec. 26, 1993, and White returned the ball 10 yards before lateraling it to LeRoy Butler, who covered the remaining 25 yards into the end zone and leaped into the arms of fans in the south bleachers, beginning what would be forever known as the "Lambeau Leap."

His legacy as football player on the field and a great person off the field will never be forgotten.

A class act, never a showboat, and a great team player. IMHO, Reggie White is one of the players is what the NFL should embody: a great player and person on and off the field, a team player, great character, and a good sport.

NYYFAN
12-26-04, 12:46 PM
RIP Reggie...

yeahimweird
12-26-04, 01:00 PM
RIP.

:(

StaceyRosie
12-26-04, 01:46 PM
I'm in shock!

JDPNYY
12-26-04, 01:48 PM
Wow.

I sure hope there aren't a rash of pro atheletes that die in their early 40's now.

God be with him and his family. I hate to hear about death, especially at this time of the year.

#1PaFan
12-26-04, 04:58 PM
Oh man, what HORRIBLE news. :(

A great Packer and an even greater man. Damn.......

yankees27
12-26-04, 06:44 PM
Awful news. RIP :(

Yankyfan
12-26-04, 08:23 PM
R.I.P. Reggie !!!!

#1PaFan
12-27-04, 12:48 AM
Reggie's number, the Glorious #92 was never officially retired by My Pack. However, it was planned to be retired next year in an official ceremony at Lambeau. Damnit, it was just too late. :(

Without Reggie, there's no doubt that we never would have won #12. Oh man, Reggie was just Incredible. What an INCREDIBLE football player and what an INCREDIBLE man!!

There hasn't been a #92 since he left and there never will be again.

GO PACK GO!!!

ryanm1058123
12-27-04, 10:09 AM
RIP Reggie, we need more people like you in life. :(

Yankee Bulldawg
12-27-04, 12:38 PM
RIP Minister of Defense :(

a truly sad day for every football fan at heart, i was shocked when i heard of his death. the greatest inside defensive lineman of all time and an even better human with a big heart. he will be sorely missed. my thoughts and prayers go out to his entire family :(

thecaptain
12-27-04, 06:05 PM
RIP Reggie

BroadwayBomber55
12-27-04, 07:07 PM
I wonder what will Brett Favre will say about this: come on fellow Packers, win this one for Reggie.

#1PaFan
12-28-04, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by BroadwayBomber55
I wonder what will Brett Favre will say about this: come on fellow Packers, win this one for Reggie.

Absolutely! Also, it was a nice tribute tonight to Mr. White on the MNF telecast.

RIyankee
12-28-04, 09:46 AM
My Christian brother is with the Lord.

I'd hear opposing offensive linemen say that just before the snap, rather than talk the trash, Reggie would witness to them before blasting into the backfield to make mincemeat out of their QB.

Bosox Guy in Chitown
12-29-04, 09:57 AM
I was glad to see this in the NY Times this morning. The obit-style articles tend to gloss over a person's record.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/29/sports/football/29sandomir.html?oref=login

"White might have deserved much of the praise, but it was the type of unabashed admiration that prompts concern that the stars and producers of the programs forgot or, worse, ignored how White denounced homosexuality and traded in ethnic stereotypes in a speech to the Wisconsin State Assembly in 1998."

-cut-

"White had apologized for the awkwardness of the ethnic remarks but not for those about homosexuality. A few months after the speech, he appeared in his Packers uniform in newspaper advertisements by several Christian groups promoting his opposition to homosexuality.

The unauthorized use of the Green Bay uniform prompted the Packers' president to apologize to the Human Rights Campaign, a gay advocacy group."

-cut-

"White's good deeds and discordant rhetoric were part of a life abundantly and unrepentantly lived. Both were self-generated and unforced, and must coexist in assessing what he left behind. There should have been no reason to ignore what some might feel is unsettling in order to focus only on the harmonious."

I hope that, when/if he reached heaven, he realized there are homosexuals inside those pearly gates as well.