PDA

View Full Version : trivia

seahorse
04-23-00, 11:34 AM
Finish this statement, "Rooting for New York is like..."

Who were Frank Farrell, "Big Bill" Devery, & Tillinghast L'Hommedieu Huston?

What's Wee Willie Keeler's famous line?

What is John Anderson famous for?

What did Ty Cobb do at Hilltop Park that earned him a suspension and resulted in the first team walkout in baseball history?

clipper
04-24-00, 07:40 AM
Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for US Steel.

I don't know the others, but I'll see if I can come up with them.

seahorse
04-24-00, 10:09 AM
Thanks Clip, take as much time as you need.

NewYorkIrish
04-24-00, 01:15 PM
I only know 2:

rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for US Steel.

and keeler said 'hit 'em where they ain't"

clipper
04-24-00, 04:59 PM
I thought it was one of the Waner brothers (Lloyd & Paul) who said "Hit 'em where they ain't".

seahorse
04-24-00, 05:14 PM
Nope. Neither "Big Poison" or "Little Poison" ever said that. It was Willie's famous line. I'm a little surprised that nobody answered all of these by now. I'll give you a hint; Farrell and Devery were friends of Ban Johnson and not friendly at all with John McGraw. "Cap" Huston came little later. John Anderson made noted for his dubious base running achievement. Ty Cobb did not "turn the other cheek" in this instance. Good luck.

NewYorkIrish
04-25-00, 09:26 AM
I know the Tillinghast name, but I just can't remember where I heard it or read it......damn, this is driving me nuts.

NewYorkIrish
04-25-00, 09:38 AM
I have SEEN that name on a sign somewhere at the Stadium...THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS. I know it's somebody ancient, but WHO???????

seahorse
04-25-00, 01:06 PM
You want me to tell you? You're right, you probably have seen it at the stadium. I'll give you a hint: His business partner has a street named after him outside the stadium.

seahorse
04-25-00, 10:28 PM
Man, you guys...

Who stole second with the bases loaded?

Who beat up a handicapped, loud mouthed, Highlander's fan?

That's it no more hints.

Nome
04-26-00, 09:17 AM
How about who stole first, when he had been on second causing a rule change because of this play??

seahorse
04-26-00, 11:59 AM
Nome, that's funny. You sure you're not talking about "wrong way" what's his name, in football?

Nome
04-26-00, 12:56 PM
No, actually it was in the early 1900's. Germany Schaeffer was an infielder for the Tigers and trying to start a rally for his club, singled, he then danced off first base to rattle the pitcher and eventually stole second. There was a man on third at the time and Germany had hoped he would discombulate the pitcher so much that the runner on third would score. After stealing second and the runner stayed on third, Schaeffer started back to first. He was caught in a rundown but got back to first effectively stealing first. The runner on third scored thereby proving Schaeffer's strategy. The next year the rules committee passed a rule stating that bases always had to be run in forward and not reverse progression.

As my hero Casey Stengle would say "you can look it up!">

seahorse
04-26-00, 09:34 PM
That's funny, and I will look it up.

I might as well tell you guys the answers to the above questions:

Farrell and Devery were the first owners of the Yanks. They sold to "The two Colonels", Ruppert and Huston in 1915.

John Anderson stole second with the bases loaded during a game in 1904.

Ty Cobb beat up a heckler in 1912.