PDA

View Full Version : Eli finally has a good game

JfromJersey
12-18-04, 05:51 PM
Give him a solid OL and at least 1 wideout with speed, and we will see what he can do down the road.

thecaptain
12-18-04, 05:56 PM
i saw a little of the game and he did look better...:)

deranged2005
12-18-04, 06:11 PM
He looked REAL good. I was very happy with him today. He'll be awesome when he gets some recievers.

Got the L, but definetly got some confidence. He looked awesome.

Casey37
12-18-04, 06:40 PM
Eli went down swinging, and he looked great.

We are witnessing a superstar in the making, folks.

PattiLuvsPinstripes
12-18-04, 06:45 PM
"Finally Eli has a good game"

But not as good as Big Ben's game (12-0 for Ben).

Eli did make strong improvement today and will build on this progress.

deranged2005
12-18-04, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by PattiLuvsPinstripes
"Finally Eli has a good game"

But not as good as Big Ben's game (12-0 for Ben).

Eli did make strong improvement today and will build on this progress.

Eli: 16-23, 182, 0 sacks, 2 TDs, INT

Roethlisberger: 18-28, 316, 3 sacks, 1 TD, 2 INTs

The only thing Ben got that Eli didn't today was a win. I'm gonna say Eli had the better game.

reelbiggecko
12-19-04, 12:15 AM
Wait, so Eli's not a complete bum? Maybe he won't get ridden out of New York for not going undefeated in his rookie campaign!

IntangiblesRule
12-19-04, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by reelbiggecko
Wait, so Eli's not a complete bum? Maybe he won't get ridden out of New York for not going undefeated in his rookie campaign!

AKA The Javy Vazquez treatment :O

Rich
12-19-04, 03:07 AM
You can readlily see that he will be better than Roethlisberger once he gets a similar supporting cast. His arm is more accurate, and he throws a much better deep ball.

reelbiggecko
12-19-04, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Rich
You can readlily see that he will be better than Roethlisberger once he gets a similar supporting cast. His arm is more accurate, and he throws a much better deep ball.

Hmmm...maybe that would explain why the Giants took Eli #1...I just thought they were throwing their draft picks away, I mean who in their right mind would take Eli first overall when Ben Roethlisberger was still available? :rolleyes:

In other news, if I hear one more ESPN analyst orgasm over how "incredible" their darling Big Ben is, I'm going to gouge out my eyes.

#1PaFan
12-19-04, 11:21 AM
Big Ben has been incredible. :D

Actually, he HAS been incredible so far. Had Maddox not gotten hurt, I really believe that the Steelers would have a few more notches in the loss column.

Yankee Bulldawg
12-19-04, 11:51 AM
Eli with yesterday's game showed steady progress and will become better & better in due time

NYYFAN
12-19-04, 11:53 AM

The problem is that because of the trade to get Eli, it might take years before Eli has a supporting cast...

TyWebb
12-19-04, 12:03 PM
I don't think that giving up next year's #1 pick is that big of a problem.

For one, they don't have to give a rookie high first round money, instead they can use that cap space to sign a proven free agent like a Left tackle and move Pettigout back to the right side where he belongs and still have money left over to put towards a reciever.

They considered all of this when they made the trade....I assume. ;)

Kulish29
12-19-04, 01:52 PM

That ball he threw to Tyree? Soooo nice. Once the supporting cast is set and he he gets his seasoning, he will be great.

Kulish29
12-19-04, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by NYYFAN
The problem is that because of the trade to get Eli, it might take years before Eli has a supporting cast...

Not necessarily true. The FA pool is pretty good this year. Couple that with a high second round draft pick, and the supporting cast could get better soon.

#1PaFan
12-19-04, 03:30 PM

Feces! How many games have you watched this year? Ben has been amazing thus far. Come on, Rich!

yankeesfaninaz
12-19-04, 03:56 PM
I hope Eli can continue to be good the last couple of games. He was great yesterday. We all know that Ben came out of nowhere and is having the season of his life and hes just a rookie.

PattiLuvsPinstripes
12-19-04, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by deranged2005
Eli: 16-23, 182, 0 sacks, 2 TDs, INT

Roethlisberger: 18-28, 316, 3 sacks, 1 TD, 2 INTs

The only thing Ben got that Eli didn't today was a win. I'm gonna say Eli had the better game.

The object of the game is to get the "W" for your team. Success is measured by winning, and Big Ben has shown he is a winner.

That said, Eli is starting to look like the QB everyone expected him to be. I love his brother, and I hope Eli becomes just as good as Peyton. Excellent QBs are so exciting to watch.

NYYFAN
12-19-04, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Kulish29
Not necessarily true. The FA pool is pretty good this year. Couple that with a high second round draft pick, and the supporting cast could get better soon.

But more than likely...Giants have many weak spots...next two years should be rough years...

NYYFAN
12-19-04, 07:48 PM
The object of the game is to get the "W" for your team. Success is measured by winning, and Big Ben has shown he is a winner.

That said, Eli is starting to look like the QB everyone expected him to be. I love his brother, and I hope Eli becomes just as good as Peyton. Excellent QBs are so exciting to watch.

I agree 182 yards and a loss is not being great...somewhat of an improvement yes...

And Eli...it's warm in SD and they are playoff bound....:D

#1PaFan
12-19-04, 07:59 PM
I agree 182 yards and a loss is not being great...somewhat of an improvement yes...

I can readily see that. Even, 'readlily' see it! :lol: Any reasonable person could. :gulp:

Kulish29
12-19-04, 07:59 PM

True, but, they're also not playing a rookie.

deranged2005
12-19-04, 08:57 PM

I'd bet that if Eli was on the Steelers, they'd be pretty damn good and he'd be getting all the talk.

Ben has a better supporting cast. Can't blame Eli on that.

#1PaFan
12-19-04, 09:47 PM
I'd bet that if Eli was on the Steelers, they'd be pretty damn good and he'd be getting all the talk.

Ben has a better supporting cast. Can't blame Eli on that.

Well, that better supporting cast is almost exactly the same cast that went 6-10 last year. Seriously.

Rich
12-20-04, 02:18 AM

Very true, especially if Accorsi has any input in player personnel decisions.

Rich
12-20-04, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by #1PaFan
Feces! How many games have you watched this year? Ben has been amazing thus far. Come on, Rich!

He was good early on, but he has faltered in recent weeks, making poor reads, and bird dogging receivers. Fortunately for him, the Steelers have a great defense, their OL and running game are awesome, and their WRs get tremendous separation. Imagine how good they would be with top QB.

btw, Speaking of the OL and Accorsi, he took Shaun Williams over Faneca in 1998. &po'd& (not a second guess, I wanted Faneca at the time)

#1PaFan
12-20-04, 02:33 AM
He was good early on, but he has faltered in recent weeks, making poor reads, and bird dogging receivers. Fortunately for him, the Steelers have a great defense, their OL and running game are awesome, and their WRs get tremendous separation. Imagine how good they would be with top QB.

I think that Ben's biggest problem right now is he's scared to ................ up, basically! He'd rather take a sack than risk throwing an int. (Actually, I heard him say it.) I can understand that. My boy, Brett is sometimes TOO confident in his talent. Yesterday for example....

I obviously have no way to prove it, but there is NO doubt in my mind that had Maddox been the QB for the season (as planned) the Steelers would have at least two, and probably More, losses.

Pittsburgh hardly has a good WR corps! Damn, that makes me laugh!!! Especially with Burress being injured a lot.

Give this kid his due. He's actually performed very well. Ben is the ROY.

Rich
12-20-04, 02:43 AM
I think that Ben's biggest problem right now is he's scared to ................ up, basically! He'd rather take a sack than risk throwing an int. (Actually, I heard him say it.) I can understand that. My boy, Brett is sometimes TOO confident in his talent. Yesterday for example....

I obviously have no way to prove it, but there is NO doubt in my mind that had Maddox been the QB for the season (as planned) the Steelers would have at least two, and probably More, losses.

Pittsburgh hardly has a good WR corps! Damn, that makes me laugh!!! Especially with Burress being injured a lot.

Give this kid his due. He's actually performed very well. Ben is the ROY.

How long has Burress been out? One week or two? Hines Ward isn't good? Randle El was very good against the Giants.

Defenses have to respect their dominant running game. That opens everything up.

Yes, he will undoubtedly be offensive ROY, but my point was that while Ben has been deified, Eli has been underseige in the Giants' backfield. When he finally got a little help on Saturday, he showed that he is very talented.

Can you imagine Favre on the Steelers?

#1PaFan
12-20-04, 02:55 AM
How long has Burress been out? One week or two? Hines Ward isn't good? Randle El was very good against the Giants.

Defenses have to respect their dominant running game. That opens everything up.

Yes, he will undoubtedly be offensive ROY, but my point was that while Ben has been deified, Eli has been underseige in the Giants' backfield. When he finally got a little help on Saturday, he showed that he is very talented.

Can you imagine Favre on the Steelers?

Hines Ward is very good. Favre on the Steelers would be scary; my Packers would have about eleven losses right now.

I've been watching Ben for a while now. There is NOW a big backlash against him that isn't deserved. I almost hate to use the word, but he DOES have Poise. It's something that can't be ignored. TRUE, if he played for the Niners right now, his poise wouldn't be worth what it is now..... :)

The kid IS making good decisions. He's playing like a ten year veteran. As I wrote earlier, this is VERY MUCH the same Steeler team that won all of 6 games last year. Ben is a perfect situation for him.

He deserves all the accolades he's getting.

deranged2005
12-26-04, 03:04 PM
And he has another pretty solid game today, but the defense can't stop the Bengals..

:(

BroadwayBomber55
12-26-04, 03:13 PM
Hines Ward is very good. Favre on the Steelers would be scary; my Packers would have about eleven losses right now.

I've been watching Ben for a while now. There is NOW a big backlash against him that isn't deserved. I almost hate to use the word, but he DOES have Poise. It's something that can't be ignored. TRUE, if he played for the Niners right now, his poise wouldn't be worth what it is now..... :)

The kid IS making good decisions. He's playing like a ten year veteran. As I wrote earlier, this is VERY MUCH the same Steeler team that won all of 6 games last year. Ben is a perfect situation for him.

He deserves all the accolades he's getting.

Ben Roethlisberger has a lot of poise. He's not flashy, but he's solid enough to help his team win and he makes good decisions with the football. Big Ben should be Rookie of the Year, IMHO.

Hines Ward is the all-around physical WR: good hands, can block, very involved in the play. He and Plaxico Burress gives the Steelers two physical WRs with Antawn Randle El the deep threat.

wexy
12-26-04, 03:29 PM
Guys couldn't put the ball in the end zone. Another yucky loss.

BroadwayBomber55
12-26-04, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by wexy
Guys couldn't put the ball in the end zone. Another yucky loss.

Yep, another terrible loss for the NY Giants. Went from a good start to a terrible finish.

JDPNYY
12-26-04, 04:11 PM
Maybe they should fire the Head Coach.

Kulish29
12-26-04, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by JDPNYY

I wish they would've hired Weiss.

twentyquestions
12-26-04, 07:35 PM
And he has another pretty solid game today, but the defense can't stop the Bengals..

:(

It looked pretty terrible to me. 56.3 PR, 19/37 (51.4 CMP%), 201yds, 1 INT

Maybe that's solid for him.

deranged2005
12-26-04, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by twentyquestions
It looked pretty terrible to me. 56.3 PR, 19/37 (51.4 CMP%), 201yds, 1 INT

Maybe that's solid for him.

I remember at least 4 balls that we're good passes but recievers couldn't catch the ball. Not Eli's fault. The INT wasn't a bad pass either....got deflected and caught.

Just couldn't score today, that was the main problem.

twentyquestions
12-26-04, 10:09 PM
I remember at least 4 balls that we're good passes but recievers couldn't catch the ball. Not Eli's fault. The INT wasn't a bad pass either....got deflected and caught.

Not as bad, then. I didn't watch the game, so I've only the numbers to go by.

Rich
12-27-04, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by JDPNYY

Accorsi.

#1PaFan
12-27-04, 12:07 AM
Eli certainly is no Ben. Not even close!! :gulp:

Rich
12-27-04, 12:18 AM
Eli certainly is no Ben. Not even close!! :gulp:

You're right. His career isn't a fiction built on the luxury of having tremendous talent around him.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
12-27-04, 12:25 AM
Roethlisberger is not fiction, hes the truth...this guy plays like he's been in the league for 2 years, the TD pass he threw today right before they took him out the game because of the rib injury was perfection...being a Jet fan I wish we had a QB who could throw like that.

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
12-27-04, 12:28 AM
You're right. His career isn't a fiction built on the luxury of having tremendous talent around him.

Then Eli's career isn't ANYTHING... so far. Well, I guess one could say it's however many straight losses, but I guess that's a fiction built on the crappy o-line he plays behind and lack of talent around him.

:gulp:

#1PaFan
12-27-04, 12:33 AM

Essentially the EXACT SAME TREMENDOUS TALENT that went 6-10 last year.

Roethlisberger has been absolutely Amazing this year. Reasonable fans understand that.

Rich
12-27-04, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by DaBoys4LifeNYY35
Then Eli's career isn't ANYTHING... so far. Well, I guess one could say it's however many straight losses, but I guess that's a fiction built on the crappy o-line he plays behind and lack of talent around him.

:gulp:

The broadcasters made the point during todays' telecast that Eli was first QB ever to debut against four of the top five rated defenses in the NFL.

Add that fact to the lack of talent he has around him, and the result is an environment in which success becomes difficult to attain.

Rich
12-27-04, 12:40 AM
Essentially the EXACT SAME TREMENDOUS TALENT that went 6-10 last year.

Roethlisberger has been absolutely Amazing this year. Reasonable fans understand that.

Eli outplayed him last week, while Ben faced the decimated Giants defense, while Eli played against one of the best defenses in the league.

The variance between the two can best be explained by the talent (or lack thereof) that surrounds them.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
12-27-04, 12:43 AM
Eli stepped into one of the most difficult scenarios for a rookie, and in the long run this will work out well for the Giants, but what does it have to do with what Roethlisberger has done? He's won 13 straight games, and the Steelers offense was missing some key players during this run.

#1PaFan
12-27-04, 12:47 AM
Eli outplayed him last week, while Ben faced the decimated Giants defense, while Eli played against one of the best defenses in the league.

The variance between the two can best be explained by the talent (or lack thereof) that surrounds them.

ONE game. Come on, Rich. You got on people for crap like that. Of course, you'll never admit it. Ben is a helluva QB and he proved it against the Pats, Eagles and even in Miami against their decent D AND a hurricane.

Give the kid his props. AGAIN, that "talent" went 6-10 last year.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
12-27-04, 12:51 AM
You want your QB to lead your team to victory, that's what they tell them from day one. 13-0 speaks for itself. And, the Steelers are a smashmouth team, they will run more than they pass, it's not a west coast offense. That has a lot to do with Ben's decent but not spectacular stats.

Rich
12-27-04, 12:55 AM
ONE game. Come on, Rich. You got on people for crap like that. Of course, you'll never admit it. Ben is a helluva QB and he proved it against the Pats, Eagles and even in Miami against their decent D AND a hurricane.

Give the kid his props. AGAIN, that "talent" went 6-10 last year.

The system and the talent make the QB.

#1PaFan
12-27-04, 01:01 AM
The system and the talent make the QB.

Agreed!!! You're learning, Son!!! :lol: :gulp:

Rich
12-27-04, 01:03 AM
Agreed!!! You're learning, Son!!! :lol: :gulp:

The talent makes the manager too (hear that Torre?). :)

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
12-27-04, 01:06 AM
The broadcasters made the point during todays' telecast that Eli was first QB ever to debut against four of the top five rated defenses in the NFL.

Add that fact to the lack of talent he has around him, and the result is an environment in which success becomes difficult to attain.

Talent or lack of talent of the supporting cast aside, the teams Eli has started against:
Atlanta
Philadelphia
Washington
Baltimore
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati

Of those teams, the only ones which Ben hasn't also faced are Atlanta and his own team. Eli hasn't had to face the Pats or Jets, either.

Just throwing that out there.

By the way, the Cowboys' defense has finally started to play to their talent, especially Newman, in recent weeks. It's not going to get any easier for your dude next week. :D Still upset that they were THIS close to being "The Team That Beat Big Ben." Turning point of the entire season, right there...but I digress.

#1PaFan
12-27-04, 01:22 AM
The talent makes the manager too (hear that Torre?). :)

Oops!!!! You're Spinning Richie!!! You're Spinning!!!!! :lol: :lol :lol:

Come on baby let's do the twist
Come on baby let's do the twist
Take me by my little hand and go like this
Ee-oh twist baby baby twist
Oooh-yeah just like this
Come on little miss and do the twist

My daddy is sleepin' and mama ain't around
Yeah daddy is sleepin' and mama ain't around
We're gonna twisty twisty twisty
'Til we turn the house down
Come on and twist yeah baby twist
Oooh-yeah just like this

Yeah you should see my little Sis
You should see my my litlle Sis
She really knows how to rock
She knows how to twist
Come on and twist yeah baby twist
Oooh-yeah just like this
Yeah rock on now
Yeah twist on now
Twist

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#1PaFan
12-27-04, 02:17 AM
Talent or lack of talent of the supporting cast aside, the teams Eli has started against:
Atlanta
Philadelphia
Washington
Baltimore
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati

Of those teams, the only ones which Ben hasn't also faced are Atlanta and his own team. Eli hasn't had to face the Pats or Jets, either.

Just throwing that out there.

By the way, the Cowboys' defense has finally started to play to their talent, especially Newman, in recent weeks. It's not going to get any easier for your dude next week. :D Still upset that they were THIS close to being "The Team That Beat Big Ben." Turning point of the entire season, right there...but I digress.

Good post, Cowboy Fan!

I actually think that THAT game against your assorted Felons, Drug Dealers and Pro Bowler from Oklahoma was his Step Out game. I doubt that Maddox would have done that. Eli may or may not have done what Ben did.
The difference is that Ben DID DO it.

This Kid IS THAT good. I'm just trying to figure out why these other folks are busting on him. I'm a Packer fan, but this kid has impressed me all season long.

We'll see how he handles the Playoffs....

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
12-27-04, 03:58 AM
Good post, Cowboy Fan!

I actually think that THAT game against your assorted Felons, Drug Dealers and Pro Bowler from Oklahoma was his Step Out game. I doubt that Maddox would have done that. Eli may or may not have done what Ben did.
The difference is that Ben DID DO it.

This Kid IS THAT good. I'm just trying to figure out why these other folks are busting on him. I'm a Packer fan, but this kid has impressed me all season long.

We'll see how he handles the Playoffs....

Right on all points.

Again, supporting cast aside, if one wanted to make the argument that Ben didn't have to go up against the best defenses in his first games, he'd have to allow that, when Ben finally DID face those great Ds, he did so successfully and with poise. The "Well, we'll see just how good he does when he finally faces a REAL defense" talk held zero weight. He made the transition from playing against bad defenses in Cleveland and Cincy to leading a game-winning drive against the Cowboys and then handling the Pats and Eagles with ease in 3 consecutive games.

I just never really witnessed Ben look TRULY like a rookie who was in over his head. The same cannot be said about Eli, and that's no knock on him. In his first start, Drew Henson got trotted out there with a terrific RB, a physical, possession receiver in Keyshawn, a Pro Bowl tight end, a few nice speedster "no-names" for his other receivers, and an O-line that's terrific at pass-blocking, and that didn't make him miraculously better than he was at that point, which was, a rookie in over his head. Ben's success isn't ALL the team and the system. The people who say this probably don't give any credit to Tom Brady, either.

Rich
12-27-04, 06:32 AM
Right on all points.

Again, supporting cast aside, if one wanted to make the argument that Ben didn't have to go up against the best defenses in his first games, he'd have to allow that, when Ben finally DID face those great Ds, he did so successfully and with poise. The "Well, we'll see just how good he does when he finally faces a REAL defense" talk held zero weight. He made the transition from playing against bad defenses in Cleveland and Cincy to leading a game-winning drive against the Cowboys and then handling the Pats and Eagles with ease in 3 consecutive games.

I just never really witnessed Ben look TRULY like a rookie who was in over his head. The same cannot be said about Eli, and that's no knock on him. In his first start, Drew Henson got trotted out there with a terrific RB, a physical, possession receiver in Keyshawn, a Pro Bowl tight end, a few nice speedster "no-names" for his other receivers, and an O-line that's terrific at pass-blocking, and that didn't make him miraculously better than he was at that point, which was, a rookie in over his head. Ben's success isn't ALL the team and the system. The people who say this probably don't give any credit to Tom Brady, either.

With all due respect, Natalie, how can you discount the importance of a supporting cast when evaluating the performance of a QB in what is perhaps the ultimate team game, in which each player's ability to function effectively, particularly the QB, is dependent on his teammates' ability to fulfill their assignments?

Granted, Ben has done what has been asked of him, but he is protected by a great OL, while Eli has usually been behind a sieve. Ben's receivers usually get maximal separation, while Eli must often thread a needle while trying to escape a relentless rush with his body parts intact.

Finally, Ben has the benefit of a great defense that often shuts down the opposing offense, which enables the Steelers' offense to run or pass at their discretion (keeping opposing defenses off balance), while the Giants' defense, as a result of being decimated by injuries, often puts the offense in the position of playing catch up, which limits their offensive options, and simultaneously eliminates the element of surprise.

It's going to take a couple of seasons to get an accurate read on their respective talents.

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
12-27-04, 11:10 AM
With all due respect, Natalie, how can you discount the importance of a supporting cast when evaluating the performance of a QB in what is perhaps the ultimate team game, in which each player's ability to function effectively, particularly the QB, is dependent on his teammates' ability to fulfill their assignments?

I don't discount it at all, Rich, but it isn't EVERYTHING. Like I tried to show with the Henson example, put a rookie who's in over his head behind ANY supporting cast, much less a BAD one (like Eli has), and he's not going to do so hot. He might not know where to look to hit those WRs who are getting separaration. He might make a lot of really dumb "rookie mistakes". Another QB might not be able to take advantage of all the talent around him at that point in his career. But, to a large extent, Roethlisberger hasn't been like that. His calm, cool, and poise are HUGE parts of the game he does have right now (and, if Parcells' Marino comparisons are right, his game is only going to get better), much like with Brady--and those things DO matter at the QB position in football. Plus, there IS a reason he was taken with the 11th pick--the kid's got some TALENT, too.

Not saying Eli isn't all those things, other than rookie in over his head at times, but he hasn't been given a fair shake at showing it. Like I always say, even the ALMIGHTY TROY AIKMAN went 0-11 then was benched for the final few games, during his rookie season, and I know WELL what he became.

Like George said, we'll see how Ben does in the playoffs (if he's healthy), which are a whole different animal. (Yeah, yeah, yeah even Trent Dilfer took a team through the playoffs and to the Super Bowl, but he wasn't a rookie.)

The point is, Ben Roethlisberger deserves at least a LITTLE bit of actual CREDIT for the position his team is in right now.

(EDIT: I'm not some sort of Ben Roethlisberger apologist saying all this either. It pains me to defend a Steeler like this, but I HAVE defended Bradshaw as a playoff QB on here before, too.)

Soriambi
12-27-04, 12:56 PM

The point is, Ben Roethlisberger deserves at least a LITTLE bit of actual CREDIT for the position his team is in right now.

I agree, and think he deserves more than a little bit of credit. It obviously helps if you have a great team around you, but you still have to make the throws and make the right choices. A bad or average QB can make an offense with good talent below average by making stupid decisions, causing too many turnovers, and over and underthrowing receivers. Ben hasn't lost one game yet, which is very difficult for a rookie QB in the NFL.

Like I said, the team around him is immensely important, but his talent and the plays he's making are important as well.