PDA

View Full Version : Eli's Coming

NYYFAN
11-15-04, 03:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1923424

With Giants sinking, Coughlin makes change

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Eli Manning has replaced Kurt Warner as the New York Giants' starting quarterback.

Coach Tom Coughlin made the move Monday after Warner and the offense struggled for the second consecutive week in a 17-14 loss to the Cardinals in Arizona. The Giants (5-4) have lost three of the last four games after a 4-1 start.

Manning, the top pick in this year's draft and the brother of Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning, will face the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday at Giants Stadium.

"He is the future of the New York Giants, it just starts now," Coughlin said of Manning, who lost a close training camp competition with Warner for the starting job. "I really felt the last four games we haven't been playing well offensively. We just need to make a change."

Coughlin told both players on Monday.

"Kurt is a competitor, a fighter," Coughlin said. ``He is not happy, but he is a class guy."

Manning obviously was thrilled.

Odds are Giants season is now over unless Eli starts like Big Ben...

RIyankee
11-15-04, 03:08 PM
Mark, thanks for the thread. I hope that O-Line doesn't get him killed.

tdel23
11-15-04, 03:13 PM
I think it's time too see what Eli can do...and Yes hopefully the line doesn't get him killed

JDPNYY
11-15-04, 03:14 PM
Giants fans better hope he knows how to run away.

NYYFAN
11-15-04, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by RIyankee
Mark, thanks for the thread. I hope that O-Line doesn't get him killed.

That's going to be the key...I was surprised the O line has played as well as they have, but Kurt hasn't helped either. I thought with the colder weather Kurt would get even in more trouble. It's a good move as long as Eli doesn't get killed...

PinstripePride
11-15-04, 05:02 PM
Score. Can't wait to see what this kid can do.

ZYanksRule
11-15-04, 05:14 PM
Let the Eli Manning Era begin!!!

I know there concerns here, but I honestly believe the problem is Warner holding onto the ball. Let's give Eli the football, and see what he can do.

Next weekend the next 8 years begin.

wexy
11-15-04, 06:55 PM
Its time.

Kulish29
11-15-04, 07:36 PM
Thank the Lord. This team needed a shake up.

SoCal Pinstriper
11-15-04, 07:42 PM
Clearly, Eli needs to get rid of the ball if he is to either win or even survive. .

26 and counting
11-15-04, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by ZYanksRule

Next weekend the next 8 years begin.

And hopefully 2 or 3 Super Bowl titles in those next eight seasons. C'mon Eli, you could do it!

Luvtino
11-15-04, 11:55 PM
They might as well give it a shot. I am excited to see what he can do. :)

Rich
11-16-04, 02:36 AM
FREE SHOCKEY!

TyWebb
11-16-04, 08:20 AM
I wish they were bringing in someone who could...maybe...BLOCK someone once in a while, but I'm glad Eli's getting his chance now.

reelbiggecko
11-16-04, 07:10 PM
He'll be good...but not this year. About time the Giants finally got Warner out of there though. The guy got more and more worthless evey week.

Kulish29
11-20-04, 03:14 AM
He is? I thought he was just breathing hard. :confused: :D

IntangiblesRule
11-21-04, 07:29 PM
Eli lost his first start and the Giants are 5-5, but I am really excited about our future. I think Eli is the goods and he'll just keep getting better. The NY Football Giants will be a force in this league, they need to build around Eli.

patrick.o
11-21-04, 07:33 PM
I was very impressed. In his first game he looked like a good veteran qb having a bad day. It sure didn't help that his receiving corps gets Sunday morning manicures in butter.

deranged2005
11-21-04, 07:33 PM
I agree with IntangiblesRule, Eli showed some some flashes of greatness today. Still got a lot to learn, but I like him. It's too bad recievers couldn't catch in the first half, because I think they woulda won that game if they did.

I love Eli already.

reelbiggecko
11-21-04, 07:52 PM
His line is ugly, but it would've been a whole lot better if ANYBODY in the Giants' receiving corps could catch the ball. He looked pretty good, all things considered.

Kulish29
11-21-04, 10:39 PM
So refreshing to see a good QB out there. Also nice to know he's going to be out there for 10+ years :D

TyWebb
11-21-04, 10:53 PM
Were the refs getting paid by the flag today? I don't like to bitch about these things, but they took the game away from the players. &po'd&

I was happy with Eli.

ZYanksRule
11-21-04, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by TyWebb
Were the refs getting paid by the flag today? I don't like to bitch about these things, but they took the game away from the players. &po'd&

I was happy with Eli.

He was good. If his recievers would learn how two catch, we'd be talking about a win for the Giants. At one point he was 4-12 with 6 drops. If his recievers catch those passes...

matt27
11-21-04, 11:25 PM
I'm pumped about Eli being our quarterback for many years to come.

dabomb2045
11-21-04, 11:35 PM
that personal foul called on Emmons....when he hit Vick in the end zone....was one of the worst calls of the year

probably cost the Giants the game

Yankee Bulldawg
11-22-04, 11:11 AM
that was an awful call indeed, it will take a while to see if Eli can get up to the level that his brother Peyton is at right now but he will be a darn awesome QB for many years to come

IntangiblesRule
11-22-04, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Yankee Bulldawg
that was an awful call indeed, it will take a while to see if Eli can get up to the level that his brother Peyton is at right now but he will be a darn awesome QB for many years to come

I think it was telling that Vick made a point in saying Eli will be as good as Peyton after the game. Vick is by all reports gracious and classy, but he didn't have to pay a high compliment like that to the younger Manning.

JfromJersey
11-22-04, 12:24 PM
Eli is on his way. He didn't set the world on fire, but he showed good judgement, poise, and has a quick release. At least 3 catchable passes were dropped in the first half ( 2 by Shockey), but sometimes it takes a game for receivers to adjust to a new quarterback's passes.

nahzo
11-28-04, 02:09 PM
Anybody watching the NYG/PHI game?

Eli just tossed a purty one deep near the endzone... Now he just turned it over in a PA to Shock...

Loving the Giants D. Holding those bastard Eagles pretty well, good pressure on McLimbaugh, but he's pushed through a couple times for some long running yardage.

#1PaFan
11-28-04, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Luvtino
They might as well give it a shot. I am excited to see what he can do. :)

I am VERY excited just knowing that you are excited!! WooHoo!!! :gulp:

Kulish29
11-28-04, 03:15 PM
Besides 2 deep balls thrown by Eli and caught by Taylor, and the usual game by Tiki, the Giants look like complete .................

This team is so ................ing frustrating to watch it makes me want to cry.

deranged2005
11-28-04, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Kulish29
Besides 2 deep balls thrown by Eli and caught by Taylor, and the usual game by Tiki, the Giants look like complete .................

This team is so ................ing frustrating to watch it makes me want to cry.

Their defense looked real good in the 1st half, but not so much anymore.

Play calling in this game isn't that great. After the long catch by Taylor and the ball within the 10, I don't understand why they didn't run it. Tiki has looked good, give him the ball too take the pressure of the red zone off Eli.

Eli's been pressured a lot. I cringe when he gets hit.

Throws a real nice ball though.

Kulish29
11-28-04, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by deranged2005

Their defense looked real good in the 1st half, but not so much anymore.

Play calling in this game isn't that great. After the long catch by Taylor and the ball within the 10, I don't understand why they didn't run it. Tiki has looked good, give him the ball too take the pressure of the red zone off Eli.

Eli's been pressured a lot. I cringe when he gets hit.

Throws a real nice ball though.

Agreed. Taylor will be a factor on the Giants offense for years to come. Those catches were simply awesome. That is what the Giants need, a deep threat.

Looie #19
11-28-04, 05:47 PM
Looks like it wasn't Kurt's fault after all....

yankeesrule2000
11-28-04, 05:59 PM
The Line sucks!

deranged2005
11-28-04, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by yankeesrule2000
The Line sucks!

Statement of the year. Eli was hit at least 15 times. You can't blame that on Eli.

Looie #19
11-28-04, 06:08 PM
Bingo. Anyone know how Gallery is doing?

IntangiblesRule
11-28-04, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Looie #19

Nowhere near where he was projected to be. By reports that I've read and from talking to my Raider fan friends he's clueless at times. He wouldn't have made a difference for us this year.

Kulish29
11-28-04, 10:09 PM

Who cares? The Giants needed a QB. One lineman would not have made this team win the games they lost. And dont give me "But Big Ben, blah, blah blah." he plays for a MUCH better all around team with a solid line.

Kulish29
11-28-04, 10:12 PM

He still sucks. He's done. He's like a slower version of Kerry Collins.

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
11-28-04, 10:15 PM
The Line sucks!

This was a surprise? Somehow they played through it (i.e. above their abilities) the first few games of the season, but anyone who wasn't looking at things through Giants-colored goggles knew how the situation really was (both pundits and members of this forum). It's not a surprise. No use bringing up Gallery--not like they could have grabbed both him and a QB in the top picks of the first round anyway--but they will need to get o-line help in the future.

Originally posted by Looie#19
I wouldn't believe you guys actually believed this if I hadn't seen the posts with my own eyes.

Kulish29
11-28-04, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by DaBoys4LifeNYY35

This was a surprise? Somehow they played through it (i.e. above their abilities) the first few games of the season, but anyone who wasn't looking at things through Giants-colored goggles knew how the situation really was (both pundits and members of this forum). It's not a surprise. No use bringing up Gallery--not like they could have grabbed both him and a QB in the top picks of the first round anyway--but they will need to get o-line help in the future.

Exactly. Gallery is one person. He cant play every position on the O-Line. I'm happy with the Manning trade. It will pay dividends in the future. Right now we just have to live with the growing pains.

PinstripePride
11-28-04, 11:10 PM
Exactly. Gallery is one person. He cant play every position on the O-Line. I'm happy with the Manning trade. It will pay dividends in the future. Right now we just have to live with the growing pains.

Exactly. We have to wait it out. If this kid is 3/4ths the QB his brother is, it'll be worth it.

Kulish29
11-28-04, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by PinstripePride

Exactly. We have to wait it out. If this kid is 3/4ths the QB his brother is, it'll be worth it.

I saw flashes of it today with the two BOMBS he just dropped into Taylors hands. Soooooooo pretty. :drool:

patrick.o
11-28-04, 11:41 PM
I'm happy with the Manning trade.
Me too. When it happened I didn't know what to think, but after seeing him play these last couple weeks, there are a whole lot of things I like about his game. He needs to learn how to play in the NFL and that takes time and experience, but I think he could be the QB we've been looking for since Phil's forced retirement.

IntangiblesRule
11-28-04, 11:43 PM

I saw flashes of it today with the two BOMBS he just dropped into Taylors hands. Soooooooo pretty. :drool:

He throws an amazing long ball, over the next couple of years the focus needs to be on surrounding him with a badass O line and give this man some time to throw. THE FUTURE IS OURS!

Looie #19
11-29-04, 01:06 PM
Who cares? The Giants needed a QB. One lineman would not have made this team win the games they lost. And dont give me "But Big Ben, blah, blah blah." he plays for a MUCH better all around team with a solid line.

Have you bothered to watch "Big Ben"? The line has a bit to do with it, but he's absolutely incredible at avoiding the rush, and is very good at throwing on the run. These were two well known traits when he was coming out of college, and they were two traits that a team with a weak line would look for in a QB. Why go after a pocket passer when you have a line that can't pass protect? Eli's sounding like BledsoeV2.0 with the excuses being made for him. Great deep ball, it's all his line's fault that he can't the ball off.

Take someone like Tom Brady, who for whatever reason was able to excel behind the line that couldn't protect enough for Drew Bledsoe to be effective. Face it, when you're sinking so much money into a Pro-Bowl line, you're going to be taking away from other aspects of the team in the age of the salary cap. Is Brady's mainly patchwork current line that much better than Eli and Kurt's? Could you name one of them?

We get it, Eli can pass behind a great line. Kurt Warner can win an MVP behind a great line. Marc Bulger can be a starting QB in the league behind a great line. A line doesn't make the QB. Any QB can be great in this league if he's got forever to find an open receiver. Great QBs are great decision makers that can excel no matter how mediocre their line is. What have you seen out of Eli that makes you believe that he could ever be this type of QB?

deranged2005
11-29-04, 04:35 PM
While I put most of the blame on the line's fault, you also gotta remember who their playing against: Atlanta and Philly. Two good defenses, and Andy Reid loves to blitz.

It can only get easier from here.

yankeesrule2000
11-29-04, 04:40 PM
We need to beat Washington...

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
11-29-04, 05:55 PM
We need to beat Washington...

Yes! Yes, you do!

When in doubt--beat the Redskins!

Then again, we're only a game behind y'all now... I'm so torn. Let the chips fall where they may! :gulp: