PDA

View Full Version : hampton gets first win

yanksgirl24
04-19-00, 09:39 PM
the mets beat the brewers 10-7 last night and mike hampton recorded his first win of the season. mets were leading 10-2 in the 8th. the brewers scored 3 off hampton and then the bullpen gave up 2 more in the 9th. he pitched 7 2/3 gave up five runs on six hits, walked six and struck out 7.

it wasn't a pretty win, but it was a win. after losing his first three starts i get the feeling he and the mets are happy he finally got a win. so he's 1-3 on the season with a 6.33 era. the mets are 7-7 so far and 1 1/2 games behind the marlins.

CalifYanksFan
04-20-00, 09:59 AM
Yeah, but his stock has gone down since he's gotten there. He may not be back after this year. There's reports that he wants Kevin Brown money to resign. The way he's been giving up runs nobody's going to commit to $15M a year.

bxny
04-20-00, 03:05 PM
Anything short of 17-18 wins from Hampton and a trip to the World Series THIS year, the Mets would have to consider the Hampton for Dotel deal a bust. In the long term the Astros will have the better end of the deal. I have know doubt Dotel WILL succeed in the majors, he just needs some more time, time that the Mets were not willing to give him. So far Hampton, in 21.1 innings he has given up 21 hits and 23 walks, he'll have to pitch a lot better than he has for him to continue to win. Thanks for the update.

yanksgirl24
04-20-00, 10:31 PM
he needs to start producing, especially before he demands the big bucks. hampton says he's not going to pressure himself and he is going out there with the mind-set of giving himself a chance to win. he spent some time talking to leiter, who thinks hampton's problem is he's thinking, "this is new york, i got to win."

maybe the problem is with his thought process. if it is, thats something he has to deal with. but i keep on getting this feeling that the mets expected more than what they're getting from him.