PDA

View Full Version : Important Bulletin Board Information

JimF
04-05-00, 05:23 PM
Hello Everyone-

I have just upgraded our forum to comply with the new Childrens Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). This shouldn't affect anyone, because as far as I know it only applies to new registrations. Basically, if someone is under 13, they are not allowed to register without a parents permission.

There were some other MAJOR CHANGES made within the backend of the forum software. If anybody notices ANY OF THE FEATURES not working, or misbehaving at all, please let me know. As far as I can tell, all of my modifications are still in tact.

Thanks!

------------------
"Just watching the game, having a Bud..."

Ansky39's Neighbor's Best Friend's 9th Cousin, Twice Removed.

Butnud
04-05-00, 10:05 PM
I would have made it 18. Kids don't blong at such a great forum. We need realy men who knows the facts and can debate when the time needs be. Like we do already! But what is done is done and hopefully we won't get any wise cracker kids onthe forum. Thanks buddy for keeping us updated....

Rob

------------------
Today. I consider myself the luckiest man on the face the Earth. -Lou Gehrig-

JimF
04-05-00, 10:22 PM
You'd be surprised at the amount of great posters that we would be losing if it were 18, Butnud.

That is aside from the fact that it is a government law that was passed, it wasn't my idea. They passed a law stating that every website in the USA that collects information from people under the age of 13 has to provide alternate means of collecting that information. In my case, I only require an email from a parent. Some sites I know of are requiring that a signed permission form be FAXED or MAILED to the owner of the site.

This dosn't have anything to do with "wise cracking kids". It has to do with making sure sickos don't get any more information than they should about young children.

There are plenty of people in their 20's and 30's who are plenty capable of wisecracking, too.

------------------

yanksgirl24
04-05-00, 11:55 PM
18 butnud?! i got two perks when i turned 18. i got the right to vote (ya freakin' hoo) and a memebership to blockbuster. oh and a friend told me something about not getting arrested...anyway, kids i can understand, but 18?

------------------
"We're a great team. Nothing can change that. Nothing can change greatness."

Butnud
04-06-00, 12:08 AM
Okay so I was wrong about the age. My that i was trying to make was that children come on and claim that they are a certain age and we don't know for sure and abuse the privs that this forum offers. They then get booted and then they come back as a different person the next day. I was saying 18 because for the most part they are mature about the matter and stuff.
You, yanksgirl24 you are very mature, I give you lots of respect. Jim, your the man!

GOD I love this forum........

------------------

Tino24
04-07-00, 03:06 PM
people who are 18 aren't exaclty more mature then say.. a 16 year old, which is what I am.. but 18 is a little steep.. what Jim put it at is good.. plus If I had to get a 'rents permission I'd never be here..

god I hate being 16

T http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/cool.gif 24

------------------
If Being a Yankee Fan is wrong, then by god, I don't wanna be right
DestiNY
Ends in NY
"OUR CAPTAIN AND LEADER HAS NOT LEFT US TODAY, TOMORROW, THIS YEAR, NEXT,OUR ENDEAVORS WILL REFLECT OUR LOVE AND ADMIRATION FOR HIM"

Butnud
04-07-00, 03:55 PM
Like the Girade thing, I was once again wrong. After I saw the responses I re thought my view. Here is what I came up with?? I feel that young people don't truly have an understanding of how to approach a topic and give a reasonable response. There reactions might not be very appropriate and therefore would not understand the point and therefore give replies that aren't rather intelligent. Lets take what Nome, I think said. I agree with what he said and I gave my reasons as to way I agree. If you were to leave it open to younger children they would give resposnes like: "Hey you (referring to whoever wrote the post) you are dumb for your thoughts and therefore have no idea what you are talking about. Plus he is my idol because he is a good player." That is a very childish response. First of all it is abusing the rules of flaming and slamming of this forum. Second of all it has no backup to support your thoughts. Well why is he a good player, "because he is." can you honestly tell me that that is an appropriate way to approach a reply. I don't! The reason why I set the age limit was not to make people under that age not be able to come here I made it because they wouldn't be able to reply appropriately. Now, the age limit I can the see age limit a little high, but I was just making an age limit. I respect ALL that can prove to me that they have an idea and back it up. I don't like Californians. The reason is because every tiem I came across a Cali, I was slammed because they are immature. I have came across many, so my views towards them are very anooyed. if that makes sense. CaliYankFan, I don't know and therefore I am not going to asps judgement on you. I just hope that All Yankee Fans, no matter what state you are from, can see that giving an attitude is not appropriate espeically if you don't know somebody. Like for you, if I knewthat you were this nice and caring person, my feelings would show that you are the type of friend that I could have. Again, my experience with Cali's are poor. I hope you don't get offended because I think other wise. I hope you all can see my point and what I meant to say. I didn't mean for anybody to get mad at me. I just hate talking to someone who thinks they know a lot but when a REAL topic comes up and it is their turn to answer it, all they say is because I do. I hope you all forgive me and aren't mad at me for my previous comments. Thank you for listening to me speak...
Robster

------------------

[This message has been edited by Butnud (edited April 07, 2000).]

Butnud
04-07-00, 05:08 PM
Another thing that was just mentioned to me. I didn't understand the idea that 13 year old girls who come on this forum meet up with others and then it turns ugly. The guy who tried to rape the 14 year old girl iswhat I amtrying to get at. I didn't read the issue that Jim was trying to make very carefully. God I feel dumb now. oh well!! Live and learn. Sorry for the arrogarnce to forget that important issue.
Rob

------------------

JimF
04-07-00, 05:32 PM
I think we all understand, and I don't think anyone is mad at you.

Again, the age restriction has <font size="+1">NOTHING</font> to do with whether or not someone is capable of making an intelligent reply.

The United States Government passed a law that REQUIRES me to alter my registration methods for children under the age of 13. If I did not do this by April 21, my site would be SHUT DOWN.

We try to keep the conversation here intelligent; and there is no age restriction on intelligence. There are members here who are half your age, Rob, that I bet you thought were in their 30's.

I hope everyone is clear on this.

Thank you.

------------------

eleven
07-20-00, 05:45 PM
There is one forumer on this site who is 14 who has PLENTY of intelligent things to say... brains aren't parceled out by age. :)

-Cath

bombergirl
07-20-00, 11:24 PM
Well Jim, I don't know if it has to do with the server updates but it seems sometimes people wind up being logged in as another person, like what happened with FB and Windy a couple of days ago, and it happened with eleven and Britt, too...

Also, sometimes when I log in from work the URL showing in the address field of my browser SHOWS my password! I find this a tad creepy, too.

But besides that, everything seems to be humming along nicely.....

B "satisfactory" G :D

eleven
07-20-00, 11:50 PM
In this case of me and YankFan36, I know why that happened. Britt told me her password so I could make a quick grammatical correction in one of her posts, and then the next time I posted a message my cookie had changed to read her identity instead of my own, and I didn't notice until after I had clicked 'Submit'.

So, in that case, it wasn't such a mystery. I don't know why it happened with fooz & Windy, tho...

-Cath

JimF
07-20-00, 11:53 PM
Upgrades? The date of this thread was April 5th. There haven't been any updates for a while.

The password shows in the url, true= but it is encrypted and should not be your actual password. Also, it only happens on the main screen when you first enter, and goes away as soon as you do anything, like changing pages, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "people are getting logged in as someone else". That is next to impossible, unless that person was using your computer, or you were logged in as them.

This BBS software works different than what you are probably used to. You're either logged in, or you're not. It knows who you are based on who you are logged in as. If for some reason somebody else was logged in under their account on the computer you are using, there is no reason for what you are explaining. Very odd, maybe you could provide some information, such as examples, what OS you are using, what browser, etc. Then I can diagnose the problem.

-jim

eleven
07-20-00, 11:57 PM
Well, since Windy & Fooz are friends, I'm guessing that one of them gave the other her password. But, I don't know that definitively...

-Cath

penguin4
07-21-00, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by eleven
There is one forumer on this site who is 14 who has PLENTY of intelligent things to say... brains aren't parceled out by age.

On the flip side, there are 25-year-olds (or older...no names please) shooting their mouth off on forums like this.

allybear
07-25-00, 10:15 AM
I always have to check when I get on here (or anywhere for that matter) to make sure JP wasn't last using the machine! I'd like to think people can tell the difference by the way we write, but you never know, they might think he has just gotten very happy all of a sudden! :lol:

Yanksfirstlady
07-30-00, 11:59 PM
ButNud- I think you are eating your words right now, aren't you?

:lol:

Just to make everything clear with everyone who does not know me already, yes, I am 14, no, I am not a teeny bopper in denial.

I like to think I am involved in baseball, softball, and the Yankees because of my passion for the sport, but other seems to think I do not know anything about baseball except for the "Cute" guys involved in it. Naw, that's not the way it goes. I've spent countless hours with my father discussing baseball of the early 1900's to the 50's-80's (he knows nothing about baseball now-a-days, lol) and I own lots of books on baseball history. I think it's best to know about the history before a young person jumps right on into the baseball wagon and hangs on by one hand.

All I'm going to say is I think the 13 year old rule is ok, but 18? Rob, I don't think so :lol:

Plus, I hope you know you just offended someone who is on the verge of saving your life lmao!!

Butnud
07-31-00, 08:16 PM
Alright folks....
I am going to spill my freaking guts to you all! I just cheated on my girlfriend. She was nothing but good to me! I am not a player or a cheater. Yanksfirstlady helped me out a lot. I was so mad at myself that she helped me calm down! I respect her for that. I am not just saying that sweetie I mean it from the heart. I flugged up my life and she came to the rescue of Mr. Rob! So the age limit is far fetched anybody who knows what to do can help you out! Again thanx for being there for me when I needed it!

Lots of Love
Rob

jg2
07-31-00, 08:34 PM
I'm only 15, so Butnud, you wouldn't want to kick me out.
I'm always here, and I always have a blast!!

JimF
07-31-00, 08:47 PM
Hey everyone-

Feel free to carry on with this conversation in the "conversation" forum - people keep thinking that there is "Important Bulletin Board Information" whenever someone else replies; including me;).

-jim