PDA

View Full Version : Are you obsessed with Starbucks?

SuperMario66
10-19-04, 04:49 PM
I just realized that I am totally obsessed with Starbucks coffee. Anyone else have that problem? Is there another place that you prefer to get your coffee?

wexy
10-19-04, 04:50 PM
There is a little place on Maiden Lane in Manhattan called"Klatch"
that looks like it belongs in Park Slope or the Heights.

Its my favorite.

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
10-19-04, 04:51 PM
Death to Starbucks.

Trish
10-19-04, 04:51 PM
I can't afford Starbucks.

If I get coffee out, I usually go to Sev (7-11)

Dunkin Donuts is too weak.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
10-19-04, 04:59 PM
No way. Black, 2 sugars and Cafe con Leche is 75 cents to a dollar at the bakery. They can keep their six dollar mocha late javas.
It's El Vesuvio for me.

ForceFive
10-19-04, 05:02 PM
I'm hopelessly addicted to non-fat iced cafe lattes. Espresso rules.

Anyway, not only Starbucks itself, but Barnes & Noble, who serve Starbucks coffee. I can't go into that store anymore without going to the cafe.

sorigirl
10-19-04, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Trish
If I get coffee out, I usually go to Sev (7-11)

Dunkin Donuts is too weak.

7-11 has the best coffee.

It's weird you say that about Dunkin Donuts, I always thought their coffee was too strong....then again, I haven't had it in a long time. Either way, I refuse to drink coffee from there because I think it tastes gross. Everytime I see their commercial saying "America's Best Coffee" I say "mm-hmm, best coffee my a**."

As for Starbucks, I used to be obsessed but it's not as easy for me to be I can't afford things like I used to. I LOVE their Lattes though. An iced venti vanilla latte, that's me right there. Sometimes with an extra shot if I need it. Ohh and their frapps. The strawberry one is the the bomb! I used to get the chocolate brownie one but they stopped making it. Bastids.

BrooklynBotz
10-19-04, 05:13 PM
i hate starbucks and their business practices. i wish everyone would stop going there and get their coffee at small independant shops.

YankeePride1967
10-19-04, 05:17 PM
I love Starbucks. I drink the coffee only and not the fancy drinks. A Venti bold coffee.

cubswin
10-19-04, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by ForceFive
I'm hopelessly addicted to non-fat iced cafe lattes. Espresso rules....

that's exactly my drink -- usually a vente in the AM -- grande if it's later in the day

cubswin
10-19-04, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by BrooklynBotz
i hate starbucks and their business practices. i wish everyone would stop going there and get their coffee at small independant shops.

What's wrong with their business practices, other than being succesful? Many independents actually do better when a Starbucks comes into their market, btw - something you may not be aware of.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
10-19-04, 05:37 PM
Spending more than $1.75 for any sort of coffee is ridiculous to me.

#7forever
10-19-04, 05:37 PM
I've been to starbucks twice and both times I had a bad experience.
The 1st time was BAD service the second time the coffee was burned.
I'll never go again.

WindRavenX
10-19-04, 05:59 PM
Without coffee, I literally do not function.
I drink a pot of coffee a day- easily.
If I drink only 1 or 2 cups, I get caffeine withdrawl headaches.
I go to Starbucks for Frapps, because those are like, orgasms in coffee and caramel form.
Starbucks is also a great place for me to hide and actually get some studying done...

YankeePride1967
10-19-04, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by PlsDontTearDownY.S.
Spending more than $1.75 for any sort of coffee is ridiculous to me.

At Starbucks, I pay $1.91 including tax for the largest size coffee.

yanksphan
10-19-04, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by BrooklynBotz

all that money they give to fair trade farmers CONSISTANTLY is such a poor business practice huh? it's so much better when independent shops who can't pay their bills try and lowball some poor farmer in Costa Rica... :rolleyes:

yes, my wife works for Starbucks, and I couldn't be happier. they are easily one of the top 50 companies to work for as they take VERY good care of their employees.

as for bad experiences, we all have them no matter where we go, but most of us are afraid to complain about a $5 or less purchase. next time, try talking to someone there about it (a manager isn't even necessary) - I think you would be happy with the results.

penfold
10-19-04, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by yanksphan

....yes, my wife works for Starbucks, and I couldn't be happier. they are easily one of the top 50 companies to work for as they take VERY good care of their employees....

When I got laid off, I honestly considered applying for a job there figuring that they at least offered health insurance to people work 20+ hours a week. Didn't quite follow up on that and I've since gotten another job but it was honestly a thought.

As for the taste of the coffee itself, I can drink Starbucks but I find that they over-roast their beans. I feel it has a burnt taste. I prefer Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf or a smaller chain called Tanner's. There's also an independent cafe / restaurant that's near me that's absolutely terrific (it's called Panini's) and they get their beans from some "gourmet" wholesale dealer.

Zabar's coffee is the best, though. (My husband mail orders it in 7-pound shipments.) Very flavorful, almost no acidic flavor. Their Kona style rocks. He prefers Vienna roast or French-Italian. And their water-processed decaf pulls no punches -- it's full-flavor.

Big_E
10-19-04, 07:25 PM
I HATE Starbucks. Every coffee I've ever gotten from them tastes like the burnt stuff at the bottom of the pot.

I get my morning cup from a guy in one of those ever-present carts that serves coffee, bagels, donuts and muffins on street corners. $1.00 for a large cup.

Carissa
10-19-04, 07:43 PM
I hate their regular coffee but don't mind their coffee drinks. But I do frequent an independent Starbucks-like clone in my town that is much, much, much yummier than Starbucks calle Urban Coffee.

Boogiedown Bomber
10-19-04, 07:48 PM
Starsucks!

penfold
10-19-04, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Big_E
I HATE Starbucks. Every coffee I've ever gotten from them tastes like the burnt stuff at the bottom of the pot.

Believe it or not, there's an independent coffee shop just across the street from where I work and their coffee tastes even more burnt than Starbucks! And these jokers are proud that they roast the coffee beans themselves! Surprisingly, they brew a decent tea so they have at least one or two drinkable beverages on the menu.

But ew! I'd rather drink Starbucks non-stop than have to drink at the place across the street!

sorigirl
10-19-04, 07:52 PM
I've only had regular coffee from Starbucks once and I hated it so I never bought it again. But I'll get a latte, frappe, macchiato....

Krispy Kreme has really good coffee. But getting coffee there forces me to get a couple donuts. :)

When it really comes down to it though, I need coffee. So I'll drink whatever coffee is available if necessary. If I don't have coffee, it Fs up my day.

SoCal Pinstriper
10-19-04, 08:09 PM
We have a locally owned chain, "The Coffe Bean and Tea Leaf," that I prefer, but I drive to see clients alot, so my choice usually comes down to whichever is on the most convenient side of the street.

Coffee, black mostly.

RhodeyYankee2638
10-19-04, 08:30 PM
Starbucks? None in these parts

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
10-19-04, 10:01 PM
Every day when I'm driving home from school I buy a 24. oz French Vanilla Cappuccino from the local WaWa for $1.33. It gets me through my homework and studying without falling asleep.:boring:

cubswin
10-20-04, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by penfold

... I prefer Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf ....

You're so LA ;)

(I used to go to the Tanner's in Playa del Rey every morning when I lived there. It was good, though I prefer Starbucks to both.)

And to the earlier comments re. SBUX service, the 2nd poster was right, imo -- they will do whatever you want to make things right. Smart way to do business.

Dooley Womack
10-20-04, 02:42 AM
I have an espresso machine and make my own lattes and straight espresso (w/ Sambuca every now and then). I've become a friggin expert at making a good cup or two. Starbucks doesn't come close to my brew. :)

rightfielder21
10-20-04, 06:38 AM
Never had it....

ritaylnil
10-20-04, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by SuperMario66
I just realized that I am totally obsessed with Starbucks coffee. Anyone else have that problem? Is there another place that you prefer to get your coffee?

I'm over it.

I used to go there frequently and order the Carmel Macchiato (largest size). This costs close to 5 bucks! But it was like an addiction and I'd go frequently.

Over time, I sort of got sick of it. I'm not fond of their regular coffee that's more reasonably priced. Once in while I go for one of the Frappacinos on a hot day.

For just coffee, you can't beat 7-11!

SuperMario66
10-20-04, 11:14 AM
We don't have many 7/11's here. My love lies with Quik Trip. Greatest convenience store ever.

chanman7483
10-20-04, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Big_E

I get my morning cup from a guy in one of those ever-present carts that serves coffee, bagels, donuts and muffins on street corners. $1.00 for a large cup.

Those guys are always the best. Hands down.

TannerBoyle
10-20-04, 11:37 AM
Starbucks is nice but way too expensive- I'll stop there on a road trip or something, but I generally stick to Dunkin Donuts or Wawa.

SuperMario66
10-20-04, 02:15 PM
Wawa

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
10-20-04, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by GoRocket

At Starbucks, I pay $1.91 including tax for the largest size coffee. Must be a different Starbucks than the one I was at.

ForceFive
10-20-04, 02:38 PM
I saw Joe DiMaggio at Dinky Donuts once.

SuperMario66
10-20-04, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by ForceFive
I saw Joe DiMaggio at Dinky Donuts once.

He's a dunker.

YankeePride1967
10-20-04, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by PlsDontTearDownY.S.
Must be a different Starbucks than the one I was at.

I live near one of the costliest counties in the country (Fairfield County in CT) and that's what it is. Keep in mind I'm talking about a regular coffee with no flavorings.

WashingtonYankee
10-20-04, 07:30 PM
I am a Starbucks chick because that's what have where I'm from and the town I am currently at for college. But once my Mom's deli goes up I will be making my own mochas. Can't wait because I make the best! :)

Exasperator
10-21-04, 02:15 PM
I love Starbucks too. Especially their Caramel Macchiatos. (It's a funny thing though... they don't taste as good with non-fat milk).

Starbucks has this new pecan tart that is all chocolatey and caramely. It's heavenly.

incarnadine
10-21-04, 02:42 PM
Wawa

Wawa rocks the party that rocks your body. I love Wawa.

I don't drink coffee (or caff tea or soda). I have no idea how I managed to get through college without caffeine.

honeyfitz
10-21-04, 06:01 PM
I'm glad someone posted this thread. It's been getting to the point lately where I can hardly walk past a Starbucks. I miss the Caffe Vanilla Frappuccinos I had in the States, the Coffee frap with a shot of Vanilla just isn't the same here, distinct lack of vanilla beans/pods/whatever they are. Yum.

Wheat
10-21-04, 06:11 PM
I just got a new toy at home (they had one at work) which brews awesome coffee one cup at a time. That is my ballywick now.

http://www.keurig.com/systemBrewer.asp?mscsid=6DX4A44HK74P8PQRXCWEBU0E8S5J9BXE

Giambi
10-21-04, 07:12 PM
7-Eleven has very good coffee! I've never been to Starbucks,coffee sounds too strong and too expensive. I never had Dunkin' Donuts coffee to-go, but I have bought their 1lb. coffee bags a few times, and I just love it.

Irascible Yankee Fan
10-21-04, 10:33 PM
The thing about Starbucks that drives me crazy is the cutsie little names they have for sizes...venti, grande...blah, blah, blah.

If I go there, I order as a large. They then say a venti coffee? I say no, a large.

Go out and buy a Senseo coffe maker...the new kind that pressure brews with the coffee pods. Thre is no clean up, very clean, and the coffe is awesome with a little froth on the top. Excellent and way cheaper than Starbucks.

In my area we have a place called Caribou Coffee, and their coffee is much better than Starbucks.

NYYBombshell
10-21-04, 11:27 PM
Mmmmmm, I love Starbucks. I'm an addict. I've got one of those Starbucks cards so I don't need to whip money out all the time. I just load that bad-boy up and I'm good for a week. When it's cold, I usually get a Venti Nonfat White Chocolate Mocha. Yummy.

yanksphan
10-22-04, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Irascible Yankee Fan
The thing about Starbucks that drives me crazy is the cutsie little names they have for sizes...venti, grande...blah, blah, blah.

If I go there, I order as a large. They then say a venti coffee? I say no, a large.

as the husband of a Starbucks employee, I must tell you that you are the object of an inside joke...Venti means 20 in Italian - as in 20oz, the size of the drink. The employees actually find it funny when people such as yourself think they are proving a point by continuing to refer to it as Large, when Venti is actually more descript.

like I said - inside joke... :lol:

nyyfanatic85
10-22-04, 03:38 PM
We don't have many 7/11's here. My love lies with Quik Trip. Greatest convenience store ever.

It really is. Where else could you get a 32 oz. fountain drink this summer for 49 cents?

yanksrule69
10-22-04, 04:22 PM
I'm not really into coffee. If I do drink it, I prefer DD.

I used to love Starbucks hot caramel cider or whatever it is, but I haven't had it forever.

SuperMario66
03-25-06, 10:27 PM
Wow, I just found this thread when searching for something else. Funny how change things. I went from a Starbucks addict to a Starbucks partner. Honestly, I couldn't be happier. I love my job. My fellow partners are great, and the supervisors are fantastic. I enjoy everything about my job, except for the occasional dumbass customer. Our regs are great though. It is funny how fast you learn the people and their drinks. I have never worked somewhere where there was such a sense of community. It's really a great place.

yankeesAZ
03-25-06, 10:44 PM
I am a Starbucks chick because that's what have where I'm from and the town I am currently at for college. But once my Mom's deli goes up I will be making my own mochas. Can't wait because I make the best! :)

When's the deli opening? I will be making my way out your way sometime in this spring or summer hopefully.

RhodeyYankee2638
03-25-06, 10:55 PM
I went from a Starbucks addict to a Starbucks partner.

wait are you a stock holder or a cashier???

Coney36
03-25-06, 11:12 PM
Frankly, I've reached the point where coffee no longer does anything to me. I've been getting extra shots of expressos at Starbucks with whatever I've gotten in the last three or four months because the regular ones kept me awake for maybe 15 seconds after each sip and they worked for awhile. I bought a triple shot grande vanilla latte today because I had to sit through a 10am seminar... and all it did was help me to barely keep my eyes open while my brain was still in bed.

IronCaballo4
03-25-06, 11:16 PM
I like Starbucks, but there's also this place here in charlotte called Caribou....they're coffee is better, in my opinion, it's less crowded, has a better atmosphere, and you can actually find a spot to sit down! whooooa!

I also like Joe Muggs and the cafe au lait from Cafe du Monde in New Orleans (I bought like 6 cans of the stuff when I went)

thecaptain
03-25-06, 11:21 PM
Yes i have to have my starbucks. i will be buying 2 lbs in a day or two i am running low... :)

Stick Michael
03-25-06, 11:23 PM
I heard a theory that the more complicated the drink a person orders, the more pretentious he/she is. I believe it. Anyone who orders a grande decaf non-fat caramel latte with sugar-free vanilla should be shot. Twice.

Oh, and yes, I love Starbucks.

James

Sam18
03-25-06, 11:46 PM
Why do you keep calling them your 'partners'?
And no, I don't like Starbucks.

TheMick@ND
03-25-06, 11:46 PM
In my area we have a place called Caribou Coffee, and their coffee is much better than Starbucks.

Agreed, I prefer Caribou, I think they're growing.

IronCaballo4
03-25-06, 11:49 PM
Agreed, I prefer Caribou, I think they're growing.

I applied for a job there for the summer...I'd love working there

krystl
03-26-06, 12:03 AM
Why do you keep calling them your 'partners'?
And no, I don't like Starbucks.
I think it's a term to make employees feel like they are part of the company.

NYYBombshell
03-26-06, 12:07 AM
Starbucks is f*cking awesome. I have at least one every day.

krystl
03-26-06, 12:15 AM
Dunkin Donuts is right down the street, on my way to most places I go, so if I am in the mood for coffee on the road, I usually get a DD hot or iced latte. Other than that, I make awesome coffee at home.

DontHateOnNumber2
03-26-06, 04:38 AM
I like getting mine from my grandmother's because I don't have to pay for it. Then again, I usually only drink coffee when I'm there anyways. I like to lay off of the stimulants. ;)

#1PaFan
03-26-06, 09:11 AM
I heard a theory that the more complicated the drink a person orders, the more pretentious he/she is. I believe it. Anyone who orders a grande decaf non-fat caramel latte with sugar-free vanilla should be shot. Twice.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Agreed!

JDPNYY
03-26-06, 10:43 AM
I went from a Starbucks addict to a Starbucks partner. Honestly, I couldn't be happier. I love my job. My fellow partners are great, and the supervisors are fantastic.

As a customer, does it help to say "Howdy" prior to placing your order?

SuperMario66
03-26-06, 10:48 AM
Okay, as for pretentious people and their complicated drinks, you find that sometimes. But I made an observation a few days ago that Soy Chai drinkers seem to be the most pretentious bunch. Especially the ones who ask for no water.

As for being called "partners," it is supposed to encourage a sense of community of course. Also, after a year, they do give you a significant amount of stock as well as a discounted price off of any you would want to buy in addition.

Jersey Yankee
03-26-06, 11:10 AM

Oh, and yes, I love Starbucks.

James
What the heck is sugar-free vanilla? Vanilla *AND* caramel? Or is that vanilla extract?

Me, a small bottle of Cafe Bustelo can hit me just as hard. Won't be capuccino but some skim milk will do me right.

The only purpose Starbucks serves to me is that when it's really late, their coffee hits me right so I can stay awake. I've got a coffee machine at home (espresso/coffee). It's not going to make the endless cups that they do, but based upon a few cups, I've rated my Cafe Bustelo capuccino (using some milk frother thing I'd bought separately) over Starbucks. Unfortunately, I can't bring it to work with me.

As to my own Starbucks orders, I take a grande capuccino with half-and-half. I'd normally take decaf, but at 2am, that's not happenin'.

I must add that I'm also a lover of herbal tea, so that's why I'm not a Starbucks addict.

Sam18
03-26-06, 11:12 AM
As for being called "partners," it is supposed to encourage a sense of community of course. Also, after a year, they do give you a significant amount of stock as well as a discounted price off of any you would want to buy in addition.

Why not 'friends' or 'work buddies'? 'Partners' just sounds so you know...

fredgmuggs
03-26-06, 01:01 PM
My wife is hopelessly addicted to Starbucks which I find amusing (especially when you consider that I rarely drink coffee). We went to a nephew's wedding last spring in the middle of nowhere in Wisconsin and my wife was dying the whole weekend because she couldn't find a Starbucks. On the trip home we spotted a Starbucks.... and believe me, you have never seen anyone as delirious with excitement as my wife was when she walked through those doors. I still tease her about it.

chanman7483
03-26-06, 01:36 PM
That caffeine really is addicting... I had it two or three days in a row because I had to be at work way early, and the next couple of days, I just found myself going... then I realized how much of a dent it was putting in my pocket, so I just stoped going - but I still felt like running off and grabbing a cup.

Now I just drink water at my desk and I'm fine.. so cravings for me :)

RhodeyYankee2638
03-26-06, 01:43 PM

how much do they give you guys?

BronxBaumer
03-26-06, 02:11 PM
I like Starbucks, but there's also this place here in charlotte called Caribou....they're coffee is better, in my opinion, it's less crowded, has a better atmosphere, and you can actually find a spot to sit down! whooooa!

I also like Joe Muggs and the cafe au lait from Cafe du Monde in New Orleans (I bought like 6 cans of the stuff when I went)

Caribou rocks my socks!

PettittesPrincess
03-26-06, 02:51 PM

I must add that I'm also a lover of herbal tea, so that's why I'm not a Starbucks addict.

They have really good herbal teas there, not just coffee.

CelerinoSanchez
03-26-06, 04:36 PM
"Fourbucks" is perhaps the most overrated franchise in the country, if not the world. How they've bamboozled people into thinking that their coffee is good is one of the great mysteries. They definitely over-roast their beans, as it always tastes burned. Never mind the pretentious nature of the place.....whatever happened to small, medium, & large? Sheesh.

Einstein's Bagels, 7-11, Dunkin' Donuts, Whole Foods, & Wild Oats are just a few of the many places that serve superior coffee.

Sam18
03-26-06, 05:18 PM
"Fourbucks" is perhaps the most overrated franchise in the country, if not the world. How they've bamboozled people into thinking that their coffee is good is one of the great mysteries. They definitely over-roast their beans, as it always tastes burned. Never mind the pretentious nature of the place.....whatever happened to small, medium, & large? Sheesh.

Einstein's Bagels, 7-11, Dunkin' Donuts, Whole Foods, & Wild Oats are just a few of the many places that serve superior coffee.

:clap: :clap:

dabomb2045
03-26-06, 05:23 PM

Agreed...you couldnt pay me to step inside a Starbucks

DrSinker
03-26-06, 05:43 PM

Yeah the size stuff is a joke. The one I go to sometimes - people just ask for a medium/large whatever. The real thing that bugs me is how high-test their stuff is, so that if you do buy their coffee you can't help but get hooked.

I don't know how much Starbucks has had to do with this, but there seem to be a lot of small Mom & Pop type coffee places that have sprung up, along with some franchises (like Caribou). If I have a choice, I'll usually go to one of those - the coffee tends to be much better, and cheaper.

chanman7483
03-26-06, 05:54 PM

I know CEO Howard Schultz got his inspiration for starbucks on a trip to Italy(it was originally called Il Degiorino or something like that), so I think that's where the grande and venti for the size are from. Starbucks' most popular drink, the latte, was brought over here by Schultz, who saw it in neighborhood espresso bars in Italy.

yankeesAZ
03-26-06, 06:26 PM

"Whole Paycheck" has good coffee? I'll have to check it out.

True Yankee-ette13
03-26-06, 06:55 PM
I love the Java Chip frap. :ga-ga: Haven't been to Starbucks in a couple of weeks, though...

:(

RhodeyYankee2638
03-26-06, 07:02 PM
I know CEO Howard Schultz got his inspiration for starbucks on a trip to Italy(it was originally called Il Degiorino or something like that), so I think that's where the grande and venti for the size are from. Starbucks' most popular drink, the latte, was brought over here by Schultz, who saw it in neighborhood espresso bars in Italy.

Starbucks is as Italian as Olive Garden

yankeesAZ
03-26-06, 07:22 PM

There's no "Mama" in the back making homemade meatballs at OG?

Next thing you'll tell me is P.F. Chang is not a Chinese person! :D

keg411
03-26-06, 07:36 PM
Einstein's Bagels

I went there once in Miami and it was the most disgusting place known to man. The "bagels" should be in quotation marks.

I'll admit I like Starbucks, but I only go there occasionally (the caffeine doesn't really agree with me, so I drink decaf and don't drink coffee often). I like my coffee all glammed up though, and can't drink it plain.

Plus, frappucinos = :drool:. And Dunkin' Donuts version of them isn't anywhere near as good.

Trish
03-26-06, 07:38 PM
I went there once in Miami and it was the most disgusting place known to man. The "bagels" should be in quotation marks.

I'll admit I like Starbucks, but I only go there occasionally (the caffeine doesn't really agree with me, so I drink decaf and don't drink coffee often). I like my coffee all glammed up though, and can't drink it plain.

Plus, frappucinos = :drool:. And Dunkin' Donuts version of them isn't anywhere near as good.
I generally only go there for the frappuchinos as well. Mocha...mmmm

Dunkin Donuts' version is ew.

JDPNYY
03-26-06, 07:39 PM
I like Starbucks because it's just such a gosh darn great bargain.

Sam18
03-26-06, 07:40 PM
I like Starbucks because it's just such a gosh darn great bargain.

Are you being sarcastic?

Trish
03-26-06, 07:42 PM
Are you being sarcastic?
Duh.

Who would think Starbucks is a good bargain?

CptCrunch
03-26-06, 07:42 PM

I think the standards have been lowered since Piazza played for them in the WBC.

dabomb2045
03-26-06, 07:43 PM

The Einstein's in Bridgeport CT is just awesome. The bagels there are some of the best I've ever had

Sam18
Duh.

Who would think Starbucks is a good bargain?

Really? I thought they'd be very cheap.

JDPNYY
The Einstein's in Bridgeport CT is just awesome. The bagels there are some of the best I've ever had

Are the bagels really smart?

Trish
03-26-06, 07:48 PM
Really? I thought they'd be very cheap.
Why would you think Starbucks is cheap?

Sam18
03-26-06, 07:50 PM
Why would you think Starbucks is cheap?

I was taking a guess.

JDPNYY
03-26-06, 07:53 PM
Me: Can I get a small coffee?

Oh, and can you break a five?

Them: I'm not sure what you mean by the word small, but you'll need more than a five to purchase something here.

NYYBombshell
03-26-06, 07:58 PM
I had another one today! :)

I usually get a Venti Mocha Frap with an extra shot of mocha, but I got a Double Chocolate Chip Frap today. Yumm-o. :drool: :drool: :drool: Like, if the place ceased to exist, I don't know where I'd get my coffee, especially their hot coffee in the winter when it's cold. It's so good.

NYYBombshell
03-26-06, 07:59 PM
Me: Can I get a small coffee?

Oh, and can you break a five?

Them: I'm not sure what you mean by the word small, but you'll need more than a five to purchase something here.

I know you were just being funny with that last part, but that's actually wrong. You can get the biggest size in whatever it is you want and they have for less than $5.

RhodeyYankee2638
03-26-06, 08:25 PM
I got a large Turtlenut Caramel Latte at Dunkin Donuts for $1.80. That my friends, is the best deal around

Sam18
03-26-06, 09:06 PM
I got a large Turtlenut Caramel Latte at Dunkin Donuts for $1.80. That my friends, is the best deal around

Hehe you said Turtlenut.

#1PaFan
03-26-06, 09:06 PM
I personally like coffee-flavored coffee.

SuperMario66
03-26-06, 09:30 PM
People baffle me. I wish there was some way to convince people that Starbucks isn't some awful corporation. Also, if you ask for a mild coffee, you beans don't taste so harshly roasted. Many people, however, prefer the bold.

As for tall, grande, and venti - it started out as just short and tall. Well, americans are always craving more, which is why grande came about (meaning large in Italian). Once again, people craved more, especially with the advent of the frappucino. So here came venti (this means 20 in Italian). So, it isn't all that ridiculous.

Sam18
03-26-06, 09:41 PM
As for tall, grande, and venti...

Its words like these that make people hate Starbucks.

SuperMario66
03-26-06, 09:44 PM

Sam, you aren't allowed to have an opinion.

yankeesrule2000
03-26-06, 10:06 PM
No, but i am Obsessed with Dunkin Doughnut's

RhodeyYankee2638
03-26-06, 10:09 PM
As for tall, grande, and venti - it started out as just short and tall. Well, americans are always craving more, which is why grande came about (meaning large in Italian). Once again, people craved more, especially with the advent of the frappucino. So here came venti (this means 20 in Italian). So, it isn't all that ridiculous.

so the sizes are Tall, Large and 20?? sounds pretty ridiculous to me

dabomb2045
03-26-06, 10:11 PM

For once, I agree with you.

chanman7483
03-26-06, 10:40 PM
I generally only go there for the frappuchinos as well. Mocha...mmmm

Dunkin Donuts' version is ew.

I worked at dunkin donuts when I was a kid, when they first started thinking about coffee alternatives - everything was a water blended powder - is that how the frappachinos are?

chanman7483
03-26-06, 10:41 PM
I know you were just being funny with that last part, but that's actually wrong. You can get the biggest size in whatever it is you want and they have for less than $5.

Not in NYC :(

Trish
03-26-06, 10:47 PM
I worked at dunkin donuts when I was a kid, when they first started thinking about coffee alternatives - everything was a water blended powder - is that how the frappachinos are?
No, I think it's a syrup, and coffee, blended with ice.

RhodyYanksFan
03-26-06, 10:58 PM
I get Starbucks maybe once a week. More then that and I'd go broke. It's bad enough I spend $2 a day on Dunkin Donuts. I should just get a coffeepot for my apartment.

Sam18
03-26-06, 11:17 PM
I get Starbucks maybe once a week.

And I thought you were cool.
*shakes head in disgust*

NYYBombshell
03-27-06, 01:12 AM

Nope. It's coffee, milk, flavored syrup and it's blended with ice.

NYYBombshell
03-27-06, 01:13 AM
Not in NYC :(

With tax, the most I've ever paid for a venti anything is $4.20.

chanman7483
03-27-06, 01:17 AM
With tax, the most I've ever paid for a venti anything is $4.20.

I'll get NYC prices for you tommorow...

yankeesAZ
03-27-06, 02:07 AM
People baffle me. I wish there was some way to convince people that Starbucks isn't some awful corporation.

They take very good care of their employees compared to a lot of other fat and happy corporate outfits.

chanman7483
03-27-06, 09:33 AM
All the venti frappachinos, pre-tax, were in the 4.60-4.85 range.

nyyfanatic85
03-27-06, 10:47 AM
Why not just get the premium roast coffee from McDonald's? I hear that's pretty good! :P

Forget Starbucks! Just gimme a huge 32 oz Mountain Dew every morning and I'm good to go. For 64 cents, I'll take that anyday!

chanman7483
03-27-06, 11:09 AM
Why not just get the premium roast coffee from McDonald's? I hear that's pretty good! :P

Forget Starbucks! Just gimme a huge 32 oz Mountain Dew every morning and I'm good to go. For 64 cents, I'll take that anyday!

There is a guy who comes into work everyday with a big gulp.. I thnk it has Mountain Dew in it - there has to be some serious health issues coming his way in about 10 years... :barf:

Sam18
03-27-06, 11:30 AM
There is a guy who comes into work everyday with a big gulp.. I thnk it has Mountain Dew in it - there has to be some serious health issues coming his way in about 10 years... :barf:

Coffee's not all that better either.

corynnmarie
03-27-06, 11:50 AM
There are no antioxidants in Mt Dew. In moderation, coffee has some health benefits. 'Course, it's adding whole milk or half and half and craploads of syrups and sugars that causes problems.

Sam18
03-27-06, 11:56 AM
There are no antioxidants in Mt Dew. In moderation, coffee has some health benefits. 'Course, it's adding whole milk or half and half and craploads of syrups and sugars that causes problems.

Bottom line is that its not good for you.

chanman7483
03-27-06, 11:57 AM

I drink my coffee w/ skim. Nothing else.

Mtn Dew(and any soft drink for that matter) has a boatload of sugar per can, much less a 40 oz big gulp.

chanman7483
03-27-06, 12:00 PM
Bottom line is that its not good for you.

Coffee in moderation is fine.

http://www.ineedcoffee.com/00/03/myths/

krystl
03-27-06, 12:03 PM
Coffee in moderation is fine.

http://www.ineedcoffee.com/00/03/myths/
Anything in moderation is fine.

effdamets
03-27-06, 12:09 PM
Not bullet wounds.... or electricution...

chanman7483
03-27-06, 12:16 PM

That's part of my point.

As far as addicitve substances go, I would also have to add on to what effdamets said and say heroin and crack cocaine in moderation is not fine. Highly addictive right from the get go.

krystl
03-27-06, 12:16 PM
Not bullet wounds.... or electricution...
We're talking things you can drink...pay attention. ;) :P

krystl
03-27-06, 12:18 PM
That's part of my point.

As far as addicitve substances go, I would also have to add on to what effdamets said and say heroin and crack cocaine in moderation is not fine. Highly addictive right from the get go.
Well, I meant food/drinks mainly. People are using so much skim milk, diet soda, margarine, etc. I still use whole milk, regular soda, real butter, etc...in moderation.

chanman7483
03-27-06, 12:21 PM
Well, I meant food/drinks mainly. People are using so much skim milk, diet soda, margarine, etc. I still use whole milk, regular soda, real butter, etc...in moderation.

I agree w/ you. I can't stand diet anything, and always opt for the REAL STUFF. However, I just happen to like the taste of skim, that's why I have it in my coffee and cereal. Just saying :D

effdamets
03-27-06, 12:29 PM
We're talking things you can drink...pay attention. ;) :P
I was only kidding.... (I guess another failed attempt at being a smart-alleck)

A good friend of mine told me some bad stuff about the aspartame in these "diet" drinks and sugar supplements. This guy is a doctor of emergency medicine. He said that after a human hits 30 years old, the ability to breakdown chemical compounds within this aspartame is severly hindered. These chemicals collect on fat cells and is believed to be the leading cause of cancer.

Since the day he told me that, I have not had a diet anything.... Soda, sweetner, nothing.

chanman7483
03-27-06, 12:31 PM

A good friend of mine told me some bad stuff about the aspartame in these "diet" drinks and sugar supplements. This guy is a doctor of emergency medicine. He said that after a human hits 30 years old, the ability to breakdown chemical compounds within this aspartame is severly hindered. These chemicals collect on fat cells and is believed to be the leading cause of cancer.

Since the day he told me that, I have not had a diet anything.... Soda, sweetner, nothing.

That's interesting considering 1) the amount of "diet" everything these days and 2) cancer is one of, if not the, leading cause of death among americans.

effdamets
03-27-06, 12:34 PM
That's interesting considering 1) the amount of "diet" everything these days and 2) cancer is one of, if not the, leading cause of death among americans.
I used to live for sweet 'n low and equal... Not anymore. Give me the sugar and I'll take a walk around the block to burn off the 5 calories.... However, I only put milk in my coffee now.... No sweetner.

Oh, Krystl, that would be whole milk only.... Skim milk in coffee makes my coffee turn green!

krystl
03-27-06, 12:38 PM

I know you were kidding...hence the ;) and :P faces!

Also, a friend's daughter had some bladder (or something, can't remember exactly) troubles around age 10-12 and had to have surgery. One of the doctors seemed to attribute it to her drinking diet soda. I don't let my kids drink diet anything. They drink soda, but not so much that I worry about it.

krystl
03-27-06, 12:40 PM
I used to live for sweet 'n low and equal... Not anymore. Give me the sugar and I'll take a walk around the block to burn off the 5 calories.... However, I only put milk in my coffee now.... No sweetner.

Oh, Krystl, that would be whole milk only.... Skim milk in coffee makes my coffee turn green!
My dad used to drink skim milk. I never liked it (but my mother never let me and my sister drink it, she insisted on whole milk). My sister and I never had weight or cholsterol problems.

And anything less than whole milk in coffee, I can't drink. I don't like half and half either though.

RhodeyYankee2638
03-27-06, 12:45 PM
That's part of my point.

I read that Starbucks has 3 times the amount of caffeine compared to a No Doz caffeine pill. Thats pretty wild

penfold
03-27-06, 12:55 PM
IMHO, coffee and tea are a lot more natural than soda (anything you can make at home from the source ingredients...) -- therefore, they're better for you. But I think drinking water, milk, and juice (in that order) is more healthy in general. But a LITTLE caffeine never killed anyone.

NYYBombshell
03-27-06, 01:14 PM
I drink so much Diet Coke that I think my blood is now Diet Coke. And I can't drink regular pop because it gives me acid reflux. I had to drink a can of Pepsi once because we were out of Diet Coke and I was up all night, unable to sleep. I thought my chest was burning. I already drink a ton of water as it is anyway, so it's not like I need to abandon one for the other.

BillBuckner
03-27-06, 01:15 PM
Starbucks sucks. Dunkin Donuts all the way.

effdamets
03-27-06, 01:35 PM
IMHO, coffee and tea are a lot more natural than soda (anything you can make at home from the source ingredients...) -- therefore, they're better for you. But I think drinking water, milk, and juice (in that order) is more healthy in general. But a LITTLE caffeine never killed anyone.
The popular coffee brand Maxwell House sells the extracted caffeine from their 'decaffinated coffee' to the Coca-Cola company!

I don't mind a soda every once in a while, as a change of pace. But if you really look at the chemicals that make up soda? I mean the stuff can peel the paint off your car!

effdamets
03-27-06, 01:40 PM
Oh... I am NOT a fan of Starbucks. I don't understand people who can go into that place and understand what the menu says!

No lie, everytime I go into a Starbucks (because sometimes there is no choice) I say the same thing. "I'd like some coffee flavored, decaffinated coffee please". The server usually looks at me funny and says, "what size?". Response: "the middle size".

I'm such a rebel.... More like an idiot!

Anyway, I usually have to pour out half the contents of the cup because, 1) they fill the friggin thing up but don't prepare it for you, and 2) I need to douse it with plenty of milk to kill the burnt taste.

RhodeyYankee2638
03-27-06, 01:41 PM
IMHO, coffee and tea are a lot more natural than soda (anything you can make at home from the source ingredients...) -- therefore, they're better for you.

I feel the same way about cocaine

Sam18
03-27-06, 01:42 PM
I feel the same way about cocaine

:lol:

NYYBombshell
03-27-06, 01:51 PM
Oh... I am NOT a fan of Starbucks. I don't understand people who can go into that place and understand what the menu says!

No lie, everytime I go into a Starbucks (because sometimes there is no choice) I say the same thing. "I'd like some coffee flavored, decaffinated coffee please". The server usually looks at me funny and says, "what size?". Response: "the middle size".

I'm such a rebel.... More like an idiot!

Anyway, I usually have to pour out half the contents of the cup because, 1) they fill the friggin thing up but don't prepare it for you, and 2) I need to douse it with plenty of milk to kill the burnt taste.

If you order the mild coffee, it's not as harsh. Also, if you want a "middle sized decaf coffee" you say "grande decaf coffee" and they give it to you.

effdamets
03-27-06, 01:55 PM
If you order the mild coffee, it's not as harsh. Also, if you want a "middle sized decaf coffee" you say "grande decaf coffee" and they give it to you.
Thanks.

But I like acting like a terd when I go in there.... Sometimes the people in line start laughing and I fire them a dirty look....

I get it from Dennis Leary. "Can I have some coffee flavored coffee?" I think it's funny. Some people don't.

BTW: Dunkin Donuts is the best coffee ever!!!! Hands down!

chanman7483
03-27-06, 02:01 PM
Thanks.

But I like acting like a terd when I go in there.... Sometimes the people in line start laughing and I fire them a dirty look....

I get it from Dennis Leary. "Can I have some coffee flavored coffee?" I think it's funny. Some people don't.

BTW: Dunkin Donuts is the best coffee ever!!!! Hands down!

I think I might have to agree with you on DD. I also used to work when i was a kid so I drank it all the time. A nice cup of regular coffee w/ milk and sugar cannot be beat from DD. Unless they leave the coffee on the burner too long.

RhodyYanksFan
03-27-06, 02:03 PM
I think I might have to agree with you on DD. I also used to work when i was a kid so I drank it all the time. A nice cup of regular coffee w/ milk and sugar cannot be beat from DD. Unless they leave the coffee on the burner too long.

I get DD iced coffee when I get coffee. It's tasty, but last week I had a Starbucks one and it tasted so much better. It's not worth the money, but every now and then it's a nice treat. It's not as watery as DD.

effdamets
03-27-06, 02:07 PM
OK.

Now, where is the sauce in your AV from?

chanman7483
03-27-06, 02:13 PM
OK.

Now, where is the sauce in your AV from?

She's Claire from Lost. She's gorgeous but what puts her over the top is the Australian accent.(I hope that's what you meant by "sauce in your av")

Arod for President
03-27-06, 02:14 PM
I Boycott Starbucks every chance I get. $5 for a coffe? Getaouttahere!

I do live in Ma. now though.. Mecca of the Dunkin Donuts so thats also probably another reason Im a DD guy.

corynnmarie
03-27-06, 02:18 PM
I read that Starbucks has 3 times the amount of caffeine compared to a No Doz caffeine pill. Thats pretty wild
A can of soda has more caffeine than a single No Doz. The dosage is small for a reason - it's way easier to pop 15 No Doz than it is to drink 7 cans of pop.

When you get into things like Red Bull and Starbuck's energy drink, that Double Shot Espresso thing, you're looking at an equivalent of 6-8 No Doz pills.

As an NCAA athlete, we're told to stay away from Red Bull and the like, and even to watch our pop and coffee intake because we could potentially test positive for caffeine. Americans in general get way, way more caffeine than is considered healthy.

RhodeyYankee2638
03-27-06, 02:40 PM
A can of soda has more caffeine than a single No Doz. The dosage is small for a reason - it's way easier to pop 15 No Doz than it is to drink 7 cans of pop.

When you get into things like Red Bull and Starbuck's energy drink, that Double Shot Espresso thing, you're looking at an equivalent of 6-8 No Doz pills.

As an NCAA athlete, we're told to stay away from Red Bull and the like, and even to watch our pop and coffee intake because we could potentially test positive for caffeine. Americans in general get way, way more caffeine than is considered healthy.

exactly, its not healthy to get way more caffeine than recommended. im glad we agree

this is fu**ing wild

The lab reported that a 16-ounce Starbucks house blend coffee contained 223 milligrams of caffeine, compared with 174 and 141 milligrams in comparable amounts of Dunkin' Donuts and 7-Eleven coffee, respectively. According to the Journal, the average Starbucks coffee drink contains 320 milligrams of caffeine.

http://www.slate.com/id/2107807/

corynnmarie
03-27-06, 02:53 PM
The lab reported that a 16-ounce Starbucks house blend coffee contained 223 milligrams of caffeine, compared with 174 and 141 milligrams in comparable amounts of Dunkin' Donuts and 7-Eleven coffee, respectively. According to the Journal, the average Starbucks coffee drink contains 320 milligrams of caffeine.
I guess that's not surprising. I drink Dr. Pepper a couple times a week, but I don't particularly like coffee, so my caffeine tolerance isn't that high - it's pretty average. The first time I had a marble mocha macchiato from Starbucks, I was jittery afterwards. I don't know how much espresso was in it, but it's more than enough.

PettittesPrincess
03-27-06, 02:59 PM
I guess that's not surprising. I drink Dr. Pepper a couple times a week, but I don't particularly like coffee, so my caffeine tolerance isn't that high - it's pretty average. The first time I had a marble mocha macchiato from Starbucks, I was jittery afterwards. I don't know how much espresso was in it, but it's more than enough.

I wish I didn't have as high of a tolerance as I do... if I don't drink coffee I'll have an energy drink.

krystl
03-27-06, 03:04 PM
I drink a lot of coffee...and I can drink it up till 11 pm and still go right to bed. I guess I'm kinda immune to caffeine at this point. ;)

PettittesPrincess
03-27-06, 03:08 PM
I drink a lot of coffee...and I can drink it up till 11 pm and still go right to bed. I guess I'm kinda immune to caffeine at this point. ;)

That's how I feel... caffeine and Red Bull or other energy drinks dont really do anything for me anymore.

Jersey Yankee
03-27-06, 03:21 PM
They have really good herbal teas there, not just coffee.
No, I said that since I love my herbal tea, I have other choices which don't include Starbucks. Since their coffee is their ca$h cow, I therefore have other choices.

I love my coffee, but I'll have about 3 times as much herbal tea as I do espresso coffee.

BTW, if you want really great coffee, go to one of the various "coffee bars" in Manhattan that'll offer a great variety of strong espresso roasts. Different flavors, different liquids you can pour into them.

Starbucks also makes coffee makers so that you can have that stuff at home. If you must have great coffee, get yourself a 1-liter vacuum jug and make it yourself, bring it to work. Taste both side-by-side and see which one you prefer. You'd have to spend lots of money per lb on coffee not to save.

NYYBombshell
03-27-06, 03:24 PM
Starbucks has great tea. When it's super hot out, I'll order a Shaken Passion Iced Tea Lemonade, and it really hits the spot. It tastes like Minute Maid fruit punch, it is that good.

chanman7483
03-27-06, 03:30 PM
When it was around, did anyone ever have the chantico?(I may have spelled it wrong)... it was that liquid chocolate crap that they stoppped selling a few weeks ago.

NYYBombshell
03-27-06, 03:39 PM
When it was around, did anyone ever have the chantico?(I may have spelled it wrong)... it was that liquid chocolate crap that they stoppped selling a few weeks ago.

I tried a sip of it, and it was waaaaaay too sweet for my tastes.

nyyfanatic85
03-27-06, 10:38 PM
So what's your favorite Starbucks drink/mixture/etc.? I had a vanilla flavored thing a couple months ago but I don't know what exactly they called it- it was awesome! But it cost $4.50 for a large :(

NYYBombshell
03-27-06, 11:04 PM
So what's your favorite Starbucks drink/mixture/etc.? I had a vanilla flavored thing a couple months ago but I don't know what exactly they called it- it was awesome! But it cost $4.50 for a large :(

I have quite a few.

Mocha Frappucino - extra shot of mocha
Nonfat, decaf, no whip white chocolate mocha - I usually get this in the winter
Shaken Passion Iced Tea Lemonade sweetened
Double Chocolate Chip Creme frappucino - extra chocolate chips

And for all of those, I get a Venti because they're that good. :drool: :drool:

True Yankee-ette13
03-28-06, 12:24 AM
I don't think Starbucks is expensive. $3-4 is nothing. Sheeesh.

Sam18
03-28-06, 12:26 AM

I agree. Oh wait this isn't JAPAN!

chanman7483
03-28-06, 12:28 AM

You'll see - once you have bills to pay(major bills), and a whole bunch of other stuff to pay off, then that becomes expensive. Sure for one time, 3-4 isn't much... but some people go more than once a day. Let's just say 2 times a day, that's 6-8 dollars per day, that's between $2190 and $2920 per year.

True Yankee-ette13
03-28-06, 12:32 AM
You'll see - once you have bills to pay(major bills), and a whole bunch of other stuff to pay off, then that becomes expensive. Sure for one time, 3-4 isn't much... but some people go more than once a day. Let's just say 2 times a day, that's 6-8 dollars per day, that's between $2190 and $2920 per year.

Like someone said.....everything in moderation. Going twice a day is a bit ridiculous. I used to go about 2-3 times a week and my parents certainly aren't facing bankruptcy because of it. I just find it funny how people find the prices so ridiculously high, as if they were charging you 20 bucks for a cup of coffee or something. Heh.

chanman7483
03-28-06, 12:50 AM
Like someone said.....everything in moderation. Going twice a day is a bit ridiculous. I used to go about 2-3 times a week and my parents certainly aren't facing bankruptcy because of it. I just find it funny how people find the prices so ridiculously high, as if they were charging you 20 bucks for a cup of coffee or something. Heh.

You're right, aboout the moderation thing, but there are a TON of people just in my office that go more than once a day... I'm sure my office is no exception. There's a reason Starbucks expands and opens so many stores - people are constantly going to them. Hell, in the times square area, there are about 6,7 stores within 5 minutes of each other. There's one in my building's cafeteria!! It's not there b/c people go once a day - people go many times throughout the day to get their fix.

Caffine is just like anything else - nicotine, coke, etc... it's habit forming. Some people need cig. breaks after eating, or doing something... coffee is the same way. I know 2 coworkers who routintely go between 9:30 and 10 b/c it's just something they do everyday.

Jersey Yankee
03-28-06, 05:34 AM
Starbucks has great tea. When it's super hot out, I'll order a Shaken Passion Iced Tea Lemonade, and it really hits the spot. It tastes like Minute Maid fruit punch, it is that good.
Since the one near me closes at 2am, I had the tall cappuccino w/half-and-half. They have lots of chocolate things, such as caramel, dark and white chocolate (I just think "white Nestlé crunch" and "regular Nestlé crunch"). It can get crazy at times.

I think that the only thing about it that I don't like are the stupid names. What the heck is a verdi anywho? Howzabout "medium", "large" and "extra-large"? Heck, if Mickey D's didn't have the patent, I'd just say "super-sized".

The server gave me some of the regular chocolate for free today, since I'd asked what was all that chocolate stuff in some large container (about 1.5 liters). Tasted good.

Now all the mochaccino, mocha latte ... man, just tell me what the heck I'm ordering.

The next time I fire up my espresso maker, I'm adding some frothed milk using my separate frother (which *DOES* froth as well as Starbucks' huge machines), then I'll make my own frappuccino.

Jersey Yankee
03-28-06, 05:37 AM
You'd pay even more money if you bought a sandwich and didn't end up eating it. I've done that lots of times.

I just get what I know I'll drink and eat. That way, I won't worry about all the junk. My large cappuccino cost me $4.65 or so.

Jersey Yankee
03-28-06, 05:40 AM
You're right, aboout the moderation thing, but there are a TON of people just in my office that go more than once a day... I'm sure my office is no exception. There's a reason Starbucks expands and opens so many stores - people are constantly going to them. Hell, in the times square area, there are about 6,7 stores within 5 minutes of each other. There's one in my building's cafeteria!! It's not there b/c people go once a day - people go many times throughout the day to get their fix.

Caffine is just like anything else - nicotine, coke, etc... it's habit forming. Some people need cig. breaks after eating, or doing something... coffee is the same way. I know 2 coworkers who routintely go between 9:30 and 10 b/c it's just something they do everyday.
Do they smoke? Some 20+ years ago, before there likely even was a Starbucks, I'd heard that some places overroasted their coffee, as it appealed to smokers (that same ashy taste). I don't smoke, but I was wondering if this would appeal to smokers.

Mine tasted pretty good today, but I still think that Cafe Bustelo tastes better.

chanman7483
03-28-06, 07:33 AM
Do they smoke? Some 20+ years ago, before there likely even was a Starbucks, I'd heard that some places overroasted their coffee, as it appealed to smokers (that same ashy taste). I don't smoke, but I was wondering if this would appeal to smokers.

Mine tasted pretty good today, but I still think that Cafe Bustelo tastes better.

Those two don't smoke - i could see how that makes sense though.

Jersey Yankee
03-28-06, 09:43 AM
Those two don't smoke - i could see how that makes sense though.
Perhaps it's something that the overworked yuppy crowds must like. I've seen some of these people get to work at 9am and they're still at the office until midnight or later. When these big deals go down, it takes inhuman pressure to be wide alert and make quick and accurate decisions. Perhaps there's something in that coffee which keeps them awake.

If a big deal depends upon this, then the $5 apiece or $10 one spends on two would be nothing.

I personally think that they put too much frothed milk into mine last night, so I didn't get the strong and rich flavor of java I would've preferred. I'd rate it better than Chock Full O Nuts' 8-o'clock coffee, but not as good as Cafe Bustelo.

I should just fire up that espresso machine today just for the heck of it.

Bub
03-28-06, 10:37 AM
Just to give you an idea of what the markup is on Starbucks coffee, we have a coffee club here at work that uses 100% Columbian beans, imported raw and roasted up the street daily...best coffee anywhere. The cost to run the club, including all supplies, amounts to about 20 cents per cup. We don't have any other overheads to worry about, such as salary and building costs, but if a coffee is priced at $3.50 I can't see $3.30 worth of overheads on each cup. Somebody's making a kazillion dollars.

penfold
03-28-06, 12:27 PM
Just to give you an idea of what the markup is on Starbucks coffee, we have a coffee club here at work that uses 100% Columbian beans, imported raw and roasted up the street daily...best coffee anywhere. The cost to run the club, including all supplies, amounts to about 20 cents per cup. We don't have any other overheads to worry about, such as salary and building costs, but if a coffee is priced at $3.50 I can't see $3.30 worth of overheads on each cup. Somebody's making a kazillion dollars.

Don't forget you have to defray the cost of the machines... and maintenance. I could see the cost going up to maybe $1/cup. But that's still a handsome profit.

NYYBombshell
03-28-06, 03:24 PM
The next time I fire up my espresso maker, I'm adding some frothed milk using my separate frother (which *DOES* froth as well as Starbucks' huge machines), then I'll make my own frappuccino.

That's not a frappucino, Brad. A frappucino is coffee, milk, syrup and ice blended together.

Coney36
03-28-06, 04:08 PM
I had a tall strawberry and creme frap today, something I haven't ordered in like six months. Second time I've walked into Starbucks this week, also something I haven't done in about six months. Gotta say, the sugar did more to wake me up than their caffeine ever did. :2thumbs:

chanman7483
03-28-06, 04:13 PM

http://chart.finance.yahoo.com/c/my/s/sbux

These guys expand at such an unprecendented rate... 5 per day I think.

yankeebot
03-28-06, 04:30 PM
I like the coffee. Just plain coffee. Sometimes with a shot of espresso. Even better, I like the big bag of Starbucks beans that you can get at the wholesale clubs for $15.

ConnYanksFan
03-28-06, 07:54 PM
I must be the only person who dislikes Starbucks. Their coffee is plain awful and needs about a cow's worth of milk to make it cool enough to drink without waiting five hours.

I'll pay $1.25 at the gas station for a 20 oz.'er and a cheap refill.

krystl
03-28-06, 08:00 PM
I must be the only person who dislikes Starbucks. Their coffee is plain awful and needs about a cow's worth of milk to make it cool enough to drink without waiting five hours.

I'll pay $1.25 at the gas station for a 20 oz.'er and a cheap refill.
I'm not crazy about Starbucks. Sure, if I'm out and dying for a cup of coffee (usually around 2-3 in the afternoon), and I'm near a Starbucks, I'll stop in. But usually just for regular coffee.
I make good coffee at home, so I don't usually go out for coffee.

But I did have an Iced mocha latte at DD today. Yum!

NYYBombshell
03-28-06, 08:01 PM
I just bought a mocha frapp about 15 minutes ago. I got extra mocha and extra whipped cream. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Jersey Yankee
03-28-06, 08:04 PM
Once you toss in Manhattan rents, as well as the cost of for the attractive décor, you're talking a pretty penny.

I'd once worked as a kid in the candy/nuts section of a department store. The pistachios sold for $7.99 a lb, but once when I'd gotten the invoice from the supplier, they'd cost less than $1/lb.

I'm not sure how you can fill up a medium or large cup of espresso for only 20˘. For that price, it sounds more like one of those mini espresso "shot" things which are about the size of a large shot of liquor. Once you're talking about 1-1.5 standard coffee cups of espresso + frothed milk, I can't see doing that on 20˘ alone. The milk alone may cost more than that, with it selling for as much as $4/gallone these days.

Jersey Yankee
03-28-06, 08:05 PM
That's not a frappucino, Brad. A frappucino is coffee, milk, syrup and ice blended together.
Is that coffee through a filter or espresso that's much more concentrated?

I've got chocolate syrup and Ovaltine. One or the other must work.

As to ice, why bother? Wouldn't sticking it into the icebox work just as well?

Jersey Yankee
03-28-06, 08:06 PM
I just bought a mocha frapp about 15 minutes ago. I got extra mocha and extra whipped cream. :drool: :drool: :drool:
I've got syrup and whipped cream at home also. In fact, one day, I may just decide to use those things fer "cawfee". :gulp::O :ga-ga:

NYYBombshell
03-28-06, 08:09 PM
Is that coffee through a filter or espresso that's much more concentrated?

I've got chocolate syrup and Ovaltine. One or the other must work.

As to ice, why bother? Wouldn't sticking it into the icebox work just as well?

No, it's blended in a blender. It's like a milkshake, only there's coffee in it. You put the coffee/milk mixture in the blender, add the flavored syrup, add ice, blend, pour it in a cup, top with whipped cream and mocha syrup (caramel if you have a caramel frap), put the domed lid on and voila! Mocha frapp.

And it's espresso, not coffee through a filter.

SuperMario66
03-28-06, 08:30 PM
The hostility in this thread is overwhelming.

NYYBombshell
03-28-06, 09:04 PM

I know. It's just Starbucks! I don't eat meat but you don't see me saying that Burger King sucks.

krystl
03-28-06, 09:04 PM
I don't really see hostility. I see people not wanting to spend $4 for a cup of flavored coffee.

yankeesAZ
03-28-06, 09:05 PM

When your company is #1, you will have a lot of haters. It's not much different than being a Yankee fan. Microsoft, Walmart, and The Cheesecake Factory are other examples.

PettittesPrincess
03-29-06, 01:01 AM

It's not as though anyone is forced to go in there either, I don't get it.

Sam18
03-29-06, 01:17 AM
I don't really see hostility. I see people not wanting to spend $4 for a cup of flavored coffee.

:clap:

Jersey Yankee
03-29-06, 02:40 AM
No, it's blended in a blender. It's like a milkshake, only there's coffee in it. You put the coffee/milk mixture in the blender, add the flavored syrup, add ice, blend, pour it in a cup, top with whipped cream and mocha syrup (caramel if you have a caramel frap), put the domed lid on and voila! Mocha frapp.

And it's espresso, not coffee through a filter.
If ya knows that derned much, then why not just send me a cup o' joe or two? :P\
Hostility over what? Not being overly impressed w/Starbucks?

I know. It's just Starbucks! I don't eat meat but you don't see me saying that Burger King sucks.
Well, I do eat meat and Burger King does suck. :P

chanman7483
03-29-06, 09:12 AM

:snooze: No one is forcing anyone to buy the coffee... I don't see why people are so caught up on this. Are people bitter that they can't afford to buy Starbucks on a daily basis? I don't see any other reason why people would constantly complain about the prices unless that was the case.

SuperMario66
03-29-06, 09:48 AM
:snooze: No one is forcing anyone to buy the coffee... I don't see why people are so caught up on this. Are people bitter that they can't afford to buy Starbucks on a daily basis? I don't see any other reason why people would constantly complain about the prices unless that was the case.

Good point.

yankeebot
03-29-06, 10:00 AM
I don't really care what anyone here does with their money but it is a bit annoying at times when the same people spending $4 on a cup of coffee are in the next thread whining about how cash strapped they are.

krystl
03-29-06, 10:09 AM
Of course no one is being forced to buy the coffee. But the thread title is "Are you obsessed with Starbucks." People are stating their opinions and people don't agree on everything, naturally.

Jersey Yankee
03-29-06, 10:30 AM
I don't really care what anyone here does with their money but it is a bit annoying at times when the same people spending $4 on a cup of coffee are in the next thread whining about how cash strapped they are.
If they have trouble keepin' up w/the Joneses at the office, they should just try brown-baggin' it for lunch sometime. Trust me, there a *LOT* more ways to spend $4 and more than some funky-named "cawfee".

SuperMario66
03-29-06, 10:55 AM
If they have trouble keepin' up w/the Joneses at the office, they should just try brown-baggin' it for lunch sometime. Trust me, there a *LOT* more ways to spend $4 and more than some funky-named "cawfee".

I completely argree, which is why it thrills me to no end that now I drink for free. Hooray!.

Oh, and by the way, there are plenty of people who come through and order a drink that costs well over $6. Once you add malt, two extra shots, mints syrup, and caramel sauce to your venti mocha frap, you end up with a damn expensive drink. There is some guy that comes through driving a sports car that orders that every freaking day. Honestly, I don't think he really wants it that bad, he just wants to talk to the cute girls at Starbucks. He happens to be a dorky guy with braces and a visor, however, so I don't see his fraps getting him anywhere.

yankeesAZ
03-29-06, 12:39 PM
I wonder how many that complain about $4 coffee, don't even flinch at $10 Martinis, $5 beers, etc.

Bub
03-29-06, 12:56 PM
I wonder how many that complain about $4 coffee, don't even flinch at $10 Martinis, $5 beers, etc.Nobody has the right to complain about any of this. Who's being forced to pay? Prepare all of this stuff yourself at home and save 90%....if you have the money to buy it out in public that's your preogative.

stephsamps
03-29-06, 01:38 PM
I wonder how many that complain about $4 coffee, don't even flinch at $10 Martinis, $5 beers, etc.

I think the difference is that there's usually (at least for me) some sort of entertainment and socializing involved with alcohol. To the same point, if I go to starbuck's with a friend and we are hanging out, I dont mind paying the $4 for a drink, but if I am running back to my office, I will drink water or free tea. I figure the money I save from starbucks, I can't put toward my Yankees tickets!

fredgmuggs
03-29-06, 02:37 PM
Nobody has the right to complain about any of this. Who's being forced to pay? Prepare all of this stuff yourself at home and save 90%....if you have the money to buy it out in public that's your preogative.

Bub, you are a wise man and I couldn't have said it better myself... except I would have spelled prerogative correctly :D .

Jersey Yankee
03-29-06, 03:07 PM
I completely argree, which is why it thrills me to no end that now I drink for free. Hooray!.

Oh, and by the way, there are plenty of people who come through and order a drink that costs well over $6. Once you add malt, two extra shots, mints syrup, and caramel sauce to your venti mocha frap, you end up with a damn expensive drink. There is some guy that comes through driving a sports car that orders that every freaking day. Honestly, I don't think he really wants it that bad, he just wants to talk to the cute girls at Starbucks. He happens to be a dorky guy with braces and a visor, however, so I don't see his fraps getting him anywhere.
Why spend $6 just to speak to some cute girl there? Is he going out with her?

I know the story, since there are guys who go to regular diners who spend lots just to impress the waitress. Guys will order expensive drinks to impress bartenders also. I've done that before but didn't have forever to waste trying to impress someone while going broke.

As to his being a nerd, if he makes money as a techie, that may give him something in his wallet. If his sports car is a late model and pricey, perhaps he has something going financially. However, I'd try to do better than someone working at Starbucks though. Not being stuck up, but I'd go a different route.

Jersey Yankee
03-29-06, 03:10 PM
Anybody paying $10-15 for a corned beef sandwich should be taken out and shot.

Beers usually cost $3 for 12 oz. Unless you're at some crazy club w/dancers, why bother paying $5 for a beer? I once paid $8 for a large Heineken but couldn't stomach the thought of the cost.

yankeebot
03-29-06, 03:57 PM
Speaking of overpaying, I buy beer at the Stadium. Sad but true.

yankeesAZ
03-29-06, 07:13 PM

Beers usually cost $3 for 12 oz. Unless you're at some crazy club w/dancers, why bother paying $5 for a beer? I once paid $8 for a large Heineken but couldn't stomach the thought of the cost.

I've seen $10+ corned Beef sandwiches. Good thing my g/f got me a discount! Damn good snadwich though.

$3 beers? Those places do exist, but I seem to end up in places where $4-5 beers are the norm. I can get $3 during Happy Hour at some places out here. The ony places I find beer for less is more hole-in-the-wall establishments or some place running game specials or something.

I've seen $9 beer at Rumjungle, Las Vegas (4 years ago). The "Crazy Horse Too" set me back $6-7 a beer, but it was a stripclub.

Gringaloca
03-29-06, 07:26 PM
Should I be ashamed to admit I've never been in a Starbucks?....And there's one 7 blocks from my house...:P

chanman7483
03-29-06, 07:28 PM
Of course no one is being forced to buy the coffee. But the thread title is "Are you obsessed with Starbucks." People are stating their opinions and people don't agree on everything, naturally.

Understood - just seems like there is an extra amt of bitterness on this topic. No worries.

chanman7483
03-29-06, 07:31 PM

Therei s a place, Harold's, about 30 minutes from my house... there are 15 dollar corned beef sandwiches, but these sandwiches are about 1.5 feet thick, and laid down sideways. SO GOOD.

fredgmuggs
03-29-06, 08:12 PM
OK, according to the Consumer Reports magazine ratings of ground columbian caffeinated coffee beans in their December 2004 edition (I have it in front of me)... Caribou is the top rated coffee. Dunkin Donuts original blend is their third rated coffee and it is also listed as a "best buy". Sorry, Starbucks is way down the list at number 11... which means absolutely nothing because you like, what you like.