PDA

View Full Version : 9/27 Game Thread: Can Kazmir beat Beantown again?

Pages : 1 [2]

NYYankeeHater66
09-27-04, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by YanksFan24

I'm curious as to what the moderators would think of your user name...

Ummm... Sorry... I don't I've done anything to be banned yet though...

anyway... Varitek double!!!!

PawSoxNation
What the heck was that?...Nice catch trampoline hands....

Kill Lois
Originally posted by 1918WorldChamps

it's 5-2

Millar out 6-3

right, i edited it. Thanks for making a post just for telling me that.

PawSoxNation
09-27-04, 09:03 PM
OC!

WebsterMulligan
Interesting, don't you think, the massive infusion of Red Sox fans? On a Yankee forum. :confused:

RedSoxGirl
SVEUM HELD A RUNNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!

1918WorldChamps
Tek, deep drive to left, Crawford leaps ball is in his glove for a split second, then he crashes into the wall the ball pops out, hits the wall.... Double.

OC singled to Right. This si stop teh presses stuff Sveum held up Tek at third!

incarnadine
Originally posted by PawSoxNation
What the heck was that?...Nice catch trampoline hands....

They're the Rays. You saw how they played us on the "one game series" this past week.

They aren't interested in playing beisbol anymore this year.

Jersey Yankee
09-27-04, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by WebsterMulligan
Interesting, don't you think, the massive infusion of Red Sox fans? On a Yankee forum. :confused: I'm leaving, but it's obvious to me that if the score were reversed, they'd still be lurking.

Kill Lois
09-27-04, 09:04 PM
Interesting, don't you think, the massive infusion of Red Sox fans? On a Yankee forum. :confused:

It's because this forum is such a professional enviroment. If I was a Red Sox fan I'd enjoy posting here too.

YanksFan24
09-27-04, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by NYYankeeHater66

I thought user names that are blatantly anti-Yankee are not tolerated here. Guess we'll see.

Circle Change
Originally posted by Kill Lois
It's because this forum is such a professional enviroment. If I was a Red Sox fan I'd enjoy posting here too.

I'm a Twins fan and love posting here.

IncredibleByNature

Your SN isn't going to go well here, for obvious reasons, so something will be done. I hope.

av8r
09-27-04, 09:06 PM

You should have some respect for the people on this board. They are nice enough to let us come here. Pick a nick that supports your team, not one that specifies who you hate. Your just looking for controversy.

Kill Lois
Originally posted by Circle Change

I'm a Twins fan and love posting here.

Exactly, it's just much more lively and friendly here then some "other" places.

1918WorldChamps

All right I will leave then.

I happen to like this place, there is always good baseball talk going on here. SoSH is to clique and they won't allow new members to join.

incarnadine
09-27-04, 09:07 PM
I think the Rays should auction off "Manager for a Day."

You could make the largest donation to a charity in a silent auction. The winner would get a one day contract drawn up to manage the last game of the year.

Why not? It couldn't be worse.

(The Rays are already having a "shirts off their backs" charity fundraiser where you buy the shirt right off a Rays player at the end of a game. This is not any more ridiculous.)

PawSoxNation
09-27-04, 09:07 PM
Watch the steal from that guy

Kill Lois
09-27-04, 09:08 PM

I happen to like this place, there is always good baseball talk going on here. SoSH is to clique and they won't allow new members to join.

what? i specifically said if I was in your shoes I'd enjoy posting in these forums too. I just wouldn't go ranting about Manny being MVP though, here of all places.

IncredibleByNature
Rays can comeback. If only they could hold it, heh.

incarnadine

SoSH is to clique and they won't allow new members to join.

Cliques are a bitch. They're NP hard to compute.

twentyquestions
09-27-04, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by incarnadine
I think the Rays should auction off "Manager for a Day."

You could make the largest donation to a charity in a silent auction. The winner would get a one day contract drawn up to manage the last game of the year.

Why not? It couldn't be worse.

Why stop at managers? Players, too. Always wanted to play in the Bigs? Get the winning cap off a Sprite can and, guess what, you're DHing with the best of 'em!

NYSITH
09-27-04, 09:10 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jersey Yankee
Do you guys always come to a Yankee board and act all ecstatic? Geez, why don't some of you people just simmer down sometime? [/QUOTE

Its an infatuation. I unfortunately work in Boston and Red Sox fans in the office talk more about the Yankees than the Sox. If the Sox lose the night before its silent, if they win, everyone is talking about World Series tickets.

incarnadine
09-27-04, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by twentyquestions

Why stop at managers? Players, too. Always wanted to play in the Bigs? Get the winning cap off a Sprite can and, guess what, you're DHing with the best of 'em!

I'd pay $1000 to play a game on the 25-man roster. Whether they let me play or not would be gravy. Just being in uniform and on the bench would be worth a grand.

Of course that's $1000 for a spot on the Yankees. It'd be less for other teams.

S2
09-27-04, 09:11 PM
For those interested, Texas leads Anaheim 3-1 in the 5th. The West isn't over yet.

WebsterMulligan
09-27-04, 09:12 PM

I don't mind Red Sox fans (or fans of any other team) posting here. Some, however, appear for one purpose only. Trolling.

Kill Lois
Originally posted by NYSITH
Its an infatuation. I unfortunately work in Boston and Red Sox fans in the office talk more about the Yankees than the Sox. If the Sox lose the night before its silent, if they win, everyone is talking about World Series tickets.

can't really blame em. I'd be pissed too if my team keep getting beat by the Yankees. Although I would be a bit more humble about it, just so incase history repeats itself, I won't be eating my own words.

twentyquestions
[B]

It's hilarious. I go to school in Mass, and last year was ridiculous with all the talk about World Series celebrations. Around here they're already planning ahead for the Cards. Tomorrow I'll hear non-stop about how Arroyo's a Cy Young candidate and how nothing can stop the Sox's sizzling bats.

NDBoston
09-27-04, 09:13 PM

SoSH hasn't had open membership for 2 years. It was never designed to be a mainstream site.

incarnadine
09-27-04, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by S2
For those interested, Texas leads Anaheim 3-1 in the 5th. The West isn't over yet.

Yeah, but we have to wait until 10 o'clock to see how the A's will continue to mess in their pants.

Kill Lois
09-27-04, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by NDBoston

SoSH hasn't had open membership for 2 years. It was never designed to be a mainstream site.

Is it an urban legend or do they really have pictures of Manny's wife naked in the "Pinsetting and Gutterballs" section?

NDBoston
09-27-04, 09:15 PM
Do you guys always come to a Yankee board and act all ecstatic? Geez, why don't some of you people just simmer down sometime? [/QUOTE

Do you think they talk about the Yankees around you because you're a Yankee fan?

NDBoston
09-27-04, 09:16 PM

Is it an urban legend or do they really have pictures of Manny's wife naked in the "Pinsetting and Gutterballs" section?

urban legend

WebsterMulligan
09-27-04, 09:17 PM

I would think that an infusion of new members, could only enhance the forum. Must get boring listening to the same BS, from the same old people.

incarnadine
09-27-04, 09:18 PM

urban legend

Thank the Lord. I definitely don't need to see pictures of nake Enrique Wilson.

Kill Lois

urban legend

They should atleast allow us to see what people are saying. I for one would love to see what Schilling talks about during one of his rants on the forum.

NDBoston

I would think that an infusion of new members, could only enhance the forum. Must get boring listening to the same BS, from the same old people.

New members are allowed in but they are recommended by current members for the most part.

It keeps the quality of posting high IMO and it's watered down as it is.

bnorris85
09-27-04, 09:19 PM

Thank the Lord. I definitely don't need to see pictures of nake Enrique Wilson.

ROFLMAO

NYSITH
Wow, Youkillis actually swung at a few pitches. If you look at the backstop at Tropicana there is an advertisement for Upper Deck baseball cards. For most of the night, I thought Youk was posing to get his picture taken for his baseball card.

YanksFan24

Cliques are a bitch. They're NP hard to compute.

Yep, Non-deterministic Polynomial problems are hard, but if you solve one you are simultaneously solving hundreds, maybe thousands of problems that are reductions of it. Take this example, shortest path algorithm is easy, but the longest path is NP complete. Nobody knows any better way than a exponential time algorithm. It's a real shame.

Go Rays!

NDBoston
09-27-04, 09:20 PM

They should atleast allow us to see what people are saying. I for one would love to see what Schilling talks about during one of his rants on the forum.

Schilling rarely posts now and it's always on the open board. P&G is dedicated to more "adult" subjects.

RedSoxGirl

You hit the nail right on the head. A lot of the clique there think it's a badge of honor because they're allowed to post. Go into the chat, if you don't know someone's RPI when it's cloudy outside, you're considered an idiot and not worthy to be there.

Kill Lois

Schilling rarely posts now and it's always on the open board. P&G is dedicated to more "adult" subjects.

And damnit that's exactly what should be open to the public. Forget about everything else.

incarnadine
09-27-04, 09:21 PM
The Rays' radio colorman just called Arroyo "Bo Derek."

"That's definitely the major's worst hair."

WebsterMulligan
09-27-04, 09:22 PM

New members are allowed in but they are recommended by current members for the most part.

It keeps the quality of posting high IMO and it's watered down as it is.

Indeed.

How about the Irish, ND? :D

twentyquestions

Yep, Non-deterministic Polynomial problems are hard, but if you solve one you are simultaneously solving hundreds, maybe thousands of problems that are reductions of it. Take this example, shortest path algorithm is easy, but the longest path is NP complete. Nobody knows any better way than a exponential time algorithm. It's a real shame.

I'm putting that on my next bumper sticker. Thanks!

Kill Lois

:lol:

RedSoxGirl
09-27-04, 09:23 PM

Traffic is bad enough in NY without having someone rearend you trying to read that! ;)

NDBoston
09-27-04, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by RedSoxGirl

You hit the nail right on the head. A lot of the clique there think it's a badge of honor because they're allowed to post. Go into the chat, if you don't know someone's RPI when it's cloudy outside, you're considered an idiot and not worthy to be there.

SoSH expects a high standard when you post there. If you start posting gibberish in the chat room, you're going to hear about it.

There's plenty of alternatives like redsoxnation.net that are more kind to fans.

Kill Lois
09-27-04, 09:25 PM
Wow this game sure is exciting.

YanksFan24

Well, it's better than "I love animals, they're delicious" :lol:

incarnadine

It is a crying shame. I have greater faith that the researchers in Israel doing good work on quantum computers will have a feasible model with a useful number of qubits up and running before any algorithms person settles P ?= NP.

There are so many creative NP-hard problems. I read a paper on an origami folding problem that was NP-complete.

1918WorldChamps
09-27-04, 09:26 PM

what? i specifically said if I was in your shoes I'd enjoy posting in these forums too. I just wouldn't go ranting about Manny being MVP though, here of all places.

I know, I actually had to take a shower.

BTW I never touted Manny as MVP here.

SoSH will let you view posts but not reply unless you are a member, membership has been closed for a while....IMO the posting there has gone downhill very wateredwown like ND said. Schilling hasn't posted there in a few months as far as I know.

Time for dinner.
Night all.
Go Sox!

NDBoston

Indeed.

How about the Irish, ND? :D

Ahhh good times Webster. I'm going to the game Saturday vs Purdue which won't be easy.

Tough games on the road vs Tennessee and USC too :eek:

To be honest, Notre Dame football is #1 over every other sport out there for me.

NYSITH

Do you think they talk about the Yankees around you because you're a Yankee fan?

Sometimes, but for the most part they are just obsessed. You can rarely get in an intelligent conversation with them. Its pretty pathetic to tell you the truth.

WebsterMulligan
09-27-04, 09:27 PM

SoSH expects a high standard when you post there. If you start posting gibberish in the chat room, you're going to hear about it.

Does that same standard pertain to the game thread? Or does a different set of rules apply?

YanksFan24
09-27-04, 09:28 PM

It is a crying shame. I have greater faith that the researchers in Israel doing good word on quantum computers will have a working model with a useful number of qubits up and running before any algorithms person settles P ?= NP.

There are so many creative NP-hard problems. I read a paper on an origami folding problem that was NP-complete.

P=NP is a very good question. I have to believe there are more P problems than NP problems. If P problems are reduced from NP problems, then it just seems right that there would be more P problems.

I mostly deal with "simpler" NP problems like coloration, longest path, spanning tree, 3-Satisfiability problems, etc. But that origami one sounds interesting...is there a paper or article on that?

Kill Lois
09-27-04, 09:28 PM

Does that same standard pertain to the game thread? Or does a different set of rules apply?

I must say, I enjoy the frantically jumping fat boy.

NDBoston
09-27-04, 09:29 PM

Sometimes, but for the most part they are just obsessed. You can rarely get in an intelligent conversation with them. Its pretty pathetic to tell you the truth.

Living in NYC, I heard the same thing from Yankee fans in my office talking about the Red Sox.

I always thought it was due to them wanting to bust on me for being a Sox fan.

NDBoston
09-27-04, 09:30 PM

Game threads are for irrational behavior and reactionary posts.

you won't see that anywhere else on the site.

Bosox Guy in Chitown
09-27-04, 09:31 PM

There's plenty of alternatives like redsoxnation.net that are more kind to fans.

In the words of edbarnwell: "They are nicer to you there..."

NYSITH

Living in NYC, I heard the same thing from Yankee fans in my office talking about the Red Sox.

I always thought it was due to them wanting to bust on me for being a Sox fan.

The sad thing is, I never say a negative word to anyone about the Sox. It just sucks to be humble all the time and have to listen to people talk trash.

incarnadine

P=NP is a very good question. I have to believe there are more P problems than NP problems. If P problems are reduced from NP problems, then it just seems right that there would be more P problems.

I mostly deal with "simpler" NP problems like coloration, longest path, spanning tree, 3-Satisfiability problems, etc. But that origami one sounds interesting...is there a paper or article on that?

I think the article on NP-complete paper folding is in CCCG'99 (Canadian Conference on Computational Geometry).

I don't think it's possible that there are more P problems than NP problems. I'm fairly certain that P \subset NP is known, but what isn't known is whether the containment is proper (subset but not equal). I could be wrong, after all, I am the dumbest person in my PhD class.

NDBoston
09-27-04, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Bosox Guy in Chitown

In the words of edbarnwell: "They are nicer to you there..."

Is that where he went? :lol:

Im sure Ed doesn't miss me.

WebsterMulligan

Ahhh good times Webster. I'm going to the game Saturday vs Purdue which won't be easy.

Tough games on the road vs Tennessee and USC too :eek:

To be honest, Notre Dame football is #1 over every other sport out there for me.

I sincerely hope the Irish treat you to a win. The game versus Purdue always seems to be a war. I would love to see the Irish upset USC, this year.

Kill Lois

The sad thing is, I never say a negative word to anyone about the Sox. It just sucks to be humble all the time and have to listen to people talk trash.

It's better that way believe me, if you talk to a red sox fan and hold up a intelligent non-cocky debate they will do the same. It's just sad that most of the times we have to arouse the humbleness.

PawSoxNation
09-27-04, 09:33 PM
Damon....Looks like Jesus, throws like Mary

Bosox Guy in Chitown
09-27-04, 09:33 PM

Is that where he went? :lol:

Im sure Ed doesn't miss me.

Me either.

I kinda miss him.... no one has called me a sheep since he left. Of course, no one ever called me a sheep before ed came along, so...

StaceyRosie
09-27-04, 09:34 PM
Damon....Looks like Jesus, throws like Mary Don't be insultin Mary like that ;)

YanksFan24
09-27-04, 09:34 PM

I think the article on NP-complete paper folding is in CCCG'99 (Canadian Conference on Computational Geometry).

I don't think it's possible that there are more P problems than NP problems. I'm fairly certain that P \subset NP is known, but what isn't known is whether the containment is proper (subset but not equal). I could be wrong, after all, I am the dumbest person in my PhD class.

I'm a college junior :lol:

Where do you go to grad school?

NDBoston
09-27-04, 09:35 PM
Not that you people care but Arroyo should be the #3 starter for the Red Sox. He deserves it.

PawSoxNation
09-27-04, 09:35 PM
Not that you people care but Arroyo should be the #3 starter for the Red Sox. He deserves it.

You are exactly right, Tito likes Wake though. Bronson should be it.

TikiAndTorch
09-27-04, 09:36 PM

I care. And agree. :)

Kill Lois

If I was the Red Sox (like, if I was the team spirit...), I would settle with pedro,schilling,arroyo and lowe, and then designate Wakefield as the Yankee specialist. Done and done.

YanksFan24

I agree. He's been solid all year for you guys. Although against the Yankees, you gotta feel good about Tim Wakefield!

PawSoxNation
09-27-04, 09:38 PM
Myers...Yeeaah Baby

Kill Lois
09-27-04, 09:38 PM
Myers...Yeeaah Baby

oh behave.

incarnadine
09-27-04, 09:39 PM

I'm a college junior :lol:

Where do you go to grad school?

I'm at Courant Institute for Mathematical Sciences (New York University).

I'm ostensibly doing research, but spend most of my precious time on here following the Yanks, making bad jokes, and posting pictures of Ariel, the Little Mermaid.

A-like so:

http://www.cs.nyu.edu/~lindy/LittleArielb1c.gif

PawSoxNation
09-27-04, 09:39 PM

oh behave.

Haha..."Hairy...like animal"

PawSoxNation
09-27-04, 09:41 PM
Don't panic, we got Leskanic

twentyquestions

I'm ostensibly doing research, but spend most of my precious time on here following the Yanks, making bad jokes, and posting pictures of Ariel, the Little Mermaid.

Planning on being a professional student?

YanksFan24

A-like so:

Is it really hard to get accepted into the program? I have to start looking at graduate schools for computer science.

incarnadine
09-27-04, 09:42 PM
Don't panic, we got Leskanic

I have a canister of Duncan Hines frosting, and a spoon.

I never panic.

NDBoston

A-like so:

Have you seen the Olsen twins around?

PawSoxNation
He looked safe...Oh well

NDBoston

Is it really hard to get accepted into the program? I have to start looking at graduate schools for computer science.

Think Carnegie Mellon, CAL or MIT.

Kill Lois

The golden question asked to every New York University student.

YanksFan24
09-27-04, 09:43 PM

Well, there goes my chances!

Kill Lois
09-27-04, 09:44 PM
so... how bout that weather....

PawSoxNation
09-27-04, 09:45 PM
WOW...V-Tek

incarnadine

Not yet. But if they're in a class I'm TA'ing, they're in big trouble.

YanksFan24
I hate this. If Kazmir was still in it would be a shut out!

Kill Lois

what kind of trouble? ;)

YanksFan24
09-27-04, 09:46 PM

I'm TA'ing a Visual Basic class :lol:

PawSoxNation
09-27-04, 09:46 PM
Come on OC...RUN!!!!!

NDBoston
09-27-04, 09:47 PM

Well, there goes my chances!

I went to RPI for grad school. Good school, ................ty for any type of social life.

YanksFan24
The Devil Rays be stankin!

PawSoxNation
MAH-CAAARTYYY

incarnadine

I did undergrad at Tufts, majored in rowing, pretended to major in math/CS double.

So don't think you have to go to some "big name" school to get into a grad program.

twentyquestions

I knew someone who went to CMU a few years ago. Still immobile and drooling in front of his webcam.

YanksFan24

I went to RPI for grad school. Good school, ................ty for any type of social life.

I'm looking in the NJ, NYC area...

Kill Lois
09-27-04, 09:48 PM
MAH-CAAARTYYY

hey relax. The Red Sox are in the playoffs.

YanksFan24
09-27-04, 09:48 PM

I did undergrad at Tufts, majored in rowing, pretended to major in math/CS double.

So don't think you have to go to some "big name" school to get into a grad program.

Well i'm just hoping that i'll have the grades. Right now i'm a Computer Science major / Computer Information Systems minor with a 3.47

incarnadine
09-27-04, 09:49 PM

what kind of trouble? ;)

I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole, so not that kind of trouble.

They'd have to pony up some bling-bling if they wanted a leg-up on their grades, though, know'm'sain?

twentyquestions

Can you blame him; it's like when Enrique Wilson homers.

PawSoxNation

Sorry, that dude hasn't got much playing time. I like him. It's tough since they have good depth at First Base.

YanksFan24

Sorry, that dude hasn't got much playing time. I like him. It's tough since they have good depth at First Base.

Yeah. They said he wont be on the post season roster most likely. Shouldn't be a loss for you, he's not really that good anyway. Not over Millar and Mientkiewicz at least.

incarnadine
09-27-04, 09:51 PM

Well i'm just hoping that i'll have the grades. Right now i'm a Computer Science major / Computer Information Systems minor with a 3.47

I think I was 3.6 or thereabouts. But I don't know if that's a big deal. If you're a test person, just annihilate the GRE, get good letters of recommendation, and be sure to dress like a man-slut when you go for your interview.

PawSoxNation

Yeah. They said he wont be on the post season roster most likely. Shouldn't be a loss for you, he's not really that good anyway. Not over Millar and Mientkiewicz at least.

Oh believe me, you are right and I agree. I wouldn't start him over Millar or Mientkiewicz.

Kill Lois
this game was the most piece of exciting baseball I've seen in awhile. I think I'll do something a bit more peaceful now. Good night Yankee and Red Sox fans.

PawSoxNation
09-27-04, 09:52 PM
this game was the most piece of exciting baseball I've seen in awhile. I think I'll do something a bit more peaceful now. Good night Yankee and Red Sox fans.

night

YanksFan24
09-27-04, 09:52 PM

I think I was 3.6 or thereabouts. But I don't know if that's a big deal. If you're a test person, just annihilate the GRE, get good letters of recommendation, and be sure to dress like a man-slut when you go for your interview.

Thanks for the advice.

incarnadine
09-27-04, 09:54 PM

You know what women say about dating at RPI/the gender balance:

The odds are good, but the goods are odd.

incarnadine
09-27-04, 09:55 PM

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah.

Don't forget the man-slut part.

That's crucial.

YanksFan24
09-27-04, 09:55 PM

Yeah.

Don't forget the man-slut part.

That's crucial.

No doubt.

incarnadine
09-27-04, 09:56 PM

Thanks for the advice.

Actually, be sure you know who you're getting rec letters from. That's really important. I had three professors who just loved me to pieces, and I'm certain that's how I got into grad schools.

NDBoston
09-27-04, 09:57 PM

You know what women say about dating at RPI/the gender balance:

The odds are good, but the goods are odd.

The Russell Sage girls didn'tmind so much ;)

Pumpsie
09-27-04, 10:00 PM

Which is why I much prefer it here. I can hold my own in baseball knowledge, but a community of fans (albeit knowledgeable ones) loses something major when they piss on the casual fan.

incarnadine
09-27-04, 10:01 PM

The Russell Sage girls didn'tmind so much ;)

They don't mind much at all.

I'm gonna slap this in here, just 'cause:

http://www.cs.nyu.edu/~lindy/pics/therespie.jpg

Remember Devil Rays: Keep your fork.

There's pie.

PawSoxNation
09-27-04, 10:01 PM
Midre who?

incarnadine
09-27-04, 10:02 PM
Cole Midre goes yard.

NDBoston
09-27-04, 10:04 PM

They don't mind much at all.

I'm gonna slap this in here, just 'cause:

http://www.cs.nyu.edu/~lindy/pics/therespie.jpg

Remember Devil Rays: Keep your fork.

There's pie.

to more importantthings.

Ever see Jessica Biel at school? I almost ran her over with my shopping cart at the Star Market in Porter Square once.

incarnadine
09-27-04, 10:06 PM

to more importantthings.

Ever see Jessica Biel at school? I almost ran her over with my shopping cart at the Star Market in Porter Square once.

She started the year after I did, so yeah, I saw her around a few times.

I knocked on her door sophomore year trying to get her to row. (Not her specifically; I knocked on the door of every single room in the freshman dorms when I was recruiting.)

She wasn't interested.

She's not outrageously pretty, but damn, she's got a very nice body.

NDBoston
09-27-04, 10:09 PM

She started the year after I did, so yeah, I saw her around a few times.

I knocked on her door sophomore year trying to get her to row. (Not her specifically; I knocked on the door of every single room in the freshman dorms when I was recruiting.)

She wasn't interested.

She's not outrageously pretty, but damn, she's got a very nice body.

You're right. She wasn't that good looking offscreen. I was disappointed.

incarnadine
09-27-04, 10:11 PM

You're right. She wasn't that good looking offscreen. I was disappointed.

Beautiful is just a lightswitch away.

NDBoston
09-27-04, 10:13 PM

Beautiful is just a lightswitch away.

I knew Kareena Gore when she was at Harvard. Now THERE was a woman who looked good.

incarnadine
09-27-04, 10:18 PM

I knew Kareena Gore when she was at Harvard. Now THERE was a woman who looked good.

I met Natalie Portman once.

You could fit her in a shoebox. So tiny.

NDBoston
09-27-04, 10:20 PM
Portman was the worst thing about "Garden State" but I still loved that movie.

The Red Sox are in the playoffs.

Have a good night.

YanksFan24
09-27-04, 10:49 PM

The Red Sox are in the playoffs.

Big suprise.

YanksFan24
09-27-04, 10:52 PM
Did they Yankees even do anything different after the game that they clinched a playoff spot? They probably just got changed and went to bed. The sox open champage bottles. That's so weird haha.

NDBoston
09-27-04, 10:56 PM
Did they Yankees even do anything different after the game that they clinched a playoff spot? They probably just got changed and went to bed. The sox open champage bottles. That's so weird haha.

so doesn't every other team. opeining up champagne bottles didn't hurt the Marlins last year or the Angles the year before.

Not everyone has to act the way the Yankees do, and not celebrating doesn't guarantee success in the playoffs.

ryanm1058123
09-27-04, 10:59 PM

so doesn't every other team. opeining up champagne bottles didn't hurt the Marlins last year or the Angles the year before.

Not everyone has to act the way the Yankees do, and not celebrating doesn't guarantee success in the playoffs.

Thats the difference between the Red Sox and the Yankees: The Yankees know they will get their champagne shower later in the year, whilst the Sox will only get theirs by clinching the playoffs. :D

NYYFAN
09-27-04, 11:03 PM
The Red Sox are in the playoffs..

I see pain and disappointment in your future...:lol:

YanksFan24
09-27-04, 11:04 PM

Oh i know, i'm just saying there's a difference in how the teams celebrate, or dont. That's all. :)

Prickly Pete
09-27-04, 11:06 PM
Did the Yankees even do anything different after the game that they clinched a playoff spot? They probably just got changed and went to bed.

I actually find that a little sad. So much pressure to win it all that they can't even enjoy the accomplishments along the way.

I know they're expected to win it every year, but does the journey have to be joyless in order for that to happen?

ryanm1058123
09-27-04, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Prickly Pete

I actually find that a little sad. So much pressure to win it all that they can't even enjoy the accomplishments along the way.

I know they're expected to win it every year, but does the journey have to be joyless in order for that to happen?

No, Alex Rodriguez said it best, and I'm paraphrasing, "It feels nice, but we were expected to do this coming into this season'. The same should have been said for the Sox.

HoustonSoxFan
09-27-04, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by ryanm1058123

Thats the difference between the Red Sox and the Yankees: The Yankees know they will get their champagne shower later in the year, whilst the Sox will only get theirs by clinching the playoffs. :D

No. The difference is that your players are not allowed to celebrate.

S2
09-27-04, 11:08 PM
I forgot that you can only celebrate once in a season. Silly me. Oh, well, it was a good season.

The Yankees are surely going to win it all now, they haven't celebrated yet.

ryanm1058123
09-27-04, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by HoustonSoxFan

The difference is that, yes, they are. They just have expectations to celebrate, as in winning a World Series or a division series.

HoustonSoxFan
09-27-04, 11:11 PM
Maybe if George lightened up a little bit, your team could get to celebrate.

JDPNYY
Did De la Rosa get wet?

TikiAndTorch

Actually, they can but they are given a set of instructions as to how to conduct it.

1. One bottle of champagne per player. No player, regardless of contract, will receive more than one bottle.

2. Said champagne may be sprayed on teammates only if they are not wearing their uniforms.

3. Players are required to wear a neatly pressed blue and white t-shirt during the celebration.

4. Once champagne bottles are empty, they are to be placed neatly in a trash bin.

And so on...;)

ring403
09-27-04, 11:18 PM

I must have missed that decree. :lol:

stevethesoxfan
09-27-04, 11:45 PM
I love my Sox, and I hope they use lots of champagne. It might be the first shower in a while for a bunch of the guys, from the looks of things! :lol:

Congrats and great job! But of course the job isn't finished yet. Good luck! :gulp:

kennyl
09-27-04, 11:52 PM
Maybe if George lightened up a little bit, your team could get to celebrate.

Maybe when you get to the playoffs 10 years in a row celebrating getting there gets a tad tiring and actually begins to appear foolish. We celebrate when we win meaningful things like ALCS clinchers and Wolrd Series

Circle Change
09-27-04, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by stevethesoxfan
I love my Sox, and I hope they use lots of champagne. It might be the first shower in a while for a bunch of the guys, from the looks of things! :lol:

Congrats and great job! But of course the job isn't finished yet. Good luck! :gulp:

They'll be thinking they drank a little too much when they see Santana's stuff exploding over the plate. :badass:

cubswin
09-27-04, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by YankeeFan1
...he definitely hit Tino on purpose. ...

based on?

NDBoston
09-28-04, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Circle Change

They'll be thinking they drank a little too much when they see Santana's stuff exploding over the plate. :badass:

Santana might be pitching against the Yankees too in the ALDS.

ring403
09-28-04, 12:11 AM

Santana might be pitching against the Yankees too in the ALDS.

You mean ALCS. ;)

NDBoston
09-28-04, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by ring403

You mean ALCS. ;)

Right now Oakland is one game behind the Twins. They or the Angels could pass the Twins for the #2 seed.

Circle Change
09-28-04, 01:32 AM
Right now Oakland is one game behind the Twins. They or the Angels could pass the Twins for the #2 seed.

I had responded earlier and then later deleted it, but you're absolutely correct.

The Twins are also facing none other than the Yankees over the next three games.

Either way, I like their chances in a short series. In the ALCS, you'd obviously have to give the edge to Boston or New York, whichever it happens to be assuming they get out of the ALDS themselves.

Still, Tito should seriously considering resting Pedro for the rest of the season. He's been a workhorse this year, but he's beginning to lose his stuff (and confidence, it seems). Maybe a tune-up couldn't hurt, but if I remember correctly, when he had that extended break back in July, he cameback in his start against Anaheim throwing 95 mph in the 1st inning and had no problem keeping it there all night. I remember a quote from Jose Guillen saying how it took them completely by surprise with Pedro coming out throwing 95, 96, 97...

Reno
09-28-04, 01:52 AM
I can't believe Millar was able to bait the umps to get Kazmir tossed. Further proves he's a low class punk. I really hate this guy.

Jersey Yankee
09-28-04, 07:19 AM
Do you think they talk about the Yankees around you because you're a Yankee fan? Who said it was about me? I don't remember saying anything about that. I also don't get this answering a question with a question.

I thought they were getting a little too "in your face" with all the hollering and hooping it up. Can they just act like *VISITORS* to a Yankee site? That's what I was referring to. Or what did you think I was referring to, based upon your question of an answer?

NDBoston
09-28-04, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Jersey Yankee
Who said it was about me? I don't remember saying anything about that. I also don't get this answering a question with a question.

I thought they were getting a little too "in your face" with all the hollering and hooping it up. Can they just act like *VISITORS* to a Yankee site? That's what I was referring to. Or what did you think I was referring to, based upon your question of an answer?

I was having a discussion with NYSITH about the people he works with in an office at work. Those comments were to him.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Those comments weren't to you.

Jersey Yankee
09-28-04, 08:07 AM
I was having a discussion with Yanksfan24 about the people he works with in an office at work. Those comments were to him

I have no idea what you're talking about. Well, you did reply to me, so that's why I replied back. If you were posting to someone else, then I figure you might have clicked on the wrong post, since I did see you backquote me a few pages ago. Something like page 11 or so.

If not intended to me, but to another poster, then don't worry about it.

PS,

It was on page 12 here that you'd quoted me:

http://www.nyyfans.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1609942 (scroll to the 9:15pm ET post of yours)

Jersey Yankee
09-28-04, 08:11 AM
You hit the nail right on the head. A lot of the clique there think it's a badge of honor because they're allowed to post. Go into the chat, if you don't know someone's RPI when it's cloudy outside, you're considered an idiot and not worthy to be there. What's RPI?

NDBoston
09-28-04, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Jersey Yankee
What's RPI?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/rpi

Jersey Yankee
09-28-04, 08:23 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/rpi I see the Yanks are in 3rd, behind the Cards and guess who?

Now, is RPI supposed to be a team's offensive output or something? What's the formula? Is that a SABR term or something?

Me, I like when a team wins 1- or 2-run games, so no big formula guy here.

I gotta run now.

Prickly Pete
09-28-04, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by kennyl

Maybe when you get to the playoffs 10 years in a row celebrating getting there gets a tad tiring and actually begins to appear foolish. We celebrate when we win meaningful things like ALCS clinchers and Wolrd Series

Is that true? The Yankees don't even celebrate winning the division any more? Wow. I didn't realize that.

I seem to remember a few years ago, I think it was 2000 when the Yanks had a dismal September and actually clinched the division on a night they lost (because the Sox also lost) and Joe Torre said he had to tell the team that it was OK to celebrate -- that he WANTED them to celebrate.

I remember him saying that it was important for them to blow off some steam and enjoy winning the division because he thought that actually helped them to relax and get ready for the playoffs -- you know, just let go of the tension and stress of the regular season and move on.

I haven't paid any attention to it the last few years, but they don't do that any more?

kennyl
09-28-04, 10:17 AM

Is that true? The Yankees don't even celebrate winning the division any more? Wow. I didn't realize that.

I seem to remember a few years ago, I think it was 2000 when the Yanks had a dismal September and actually clinched the division on a night they lost (because the Sox also lost) and Joe Torre said he had to tell the team that it was OK to celebrate -- that he WANTED them to celebrate.

I remember him saying that it was important for them to blow off some steam and enjoy winning the division because he thought that actually helped them to relax and get ready for the playoffs -- you know, just let go of the tension and stress of the regular season and move on.

I haven't paid any attention to it the last few years, but they don't do that any more?

In all honesty, the division celebrations are short lived and really just a formality. It is my belief that the champagne and stuff is just done for the Yes Network cameras. This team does not expect to miss the playoffs. You are correct about that 2000 season, they had an awful stretch in which they lost 15 or 19 or so down the stretch and Torre was trying just about everything to get them settled down and ready for the playoffs.

HipHipJorge
09-28-04, 10:23 AM

They didn't celebrate clinching a playoff spot last week, but I'm sure they will celebrate when they clinch the division.