PDA

View Full Version : Toughest NFL Divisions

BroadwayBomber55
09-26-04, 06:40 PM
Everyone,

Which division (s) do you think is the toughest in the NFL?

It's too early to tell, but I say the AFC South, AFC East, NFC South, and NFC East.

What does everyone say?

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
09-26-04, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by BroadwayBomber55
Everyone,

Which division (s) do you think is the toughest in the NFL?

It's too early to tell, but I say the AFC South, AFC East, NFC South, and NFC East.

So...basically...half the divisions in the league? Thus far, that's probably about right, though.

AFC South and NFC East are my picks.

JeffWeaverFan
09-26-04, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by DaBoys4LifeNYY35

So...basically...half the divisions in the league? Thus far, that's probably about right, though.

AFC South and NFC East are my picks.
Eh, I don't know about the NFC East. The Giants aren't good, the Cowboys aren't looking all that good, the Redskins aren't that good and the Eagles are really good.

It's probably the AFC East. This division has the best team in the NFL in the Jets and the defending SB Champs (although they are vastly overated). The Bills have a great defense and the Dolphins suck.

CrazyNY
09-27-04, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by JeffWeaverFan
It's probably the AFC East. This division has the best team in the NFL in the Jets and the defending SB Champs (although they are vastly overated). The Bills have a great defense and the Dolphins suck. The AFC East? You've got to be kidding. You have a great Patriots team. The Jets may be good, but they are coming off a 6-win season (you might want to wait until they play a quality team before you proclaim them the best in the league). And the Dolphins and Bills are horrible. The only thing that keeps the AFC East from competing for the title of Worst in the NFL is the Patriots..

Soriambi
09-27-04, 11:51 AM
I have to disagree with the AFC East. It's been that way for years, but right now I think that the Pats are great, the Jets are good-very good, the Bills are well below average, and the Dolphins are not very good at all. Obviously, and of the teams is capable of beating any of the others, but that's football. I think there are far better divisions this year. (Which I'm happy about.)

yankeesfaninaz
09-27-04, 02:24 PM
The Giants aren't good. Ill take a 2-1 record any time. So please don't say they are not that good. Yes there is room for improvement but they will be fine.

Ill have to go with the NFC East and AFC South

JeffWeaverFan
09-27-04, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by CrazyNY
The AFC East? You've got to be kidding. You have a great Patriots team. The Jets may be good, but they are coming off a 6-win season (you might want to wait until they play a quality team before you proclaim them the best in the league). And the Dolphins and Bills are horrible. The only thing that keeps the AFC East from competing for the title of Worst in the NFL is the Patriots..
I was half-kidding. When the Jets beat the crap out of the Patriots in NE in their 6th game then I will be able to proclaim it.:)

CrazyNY
09-27-04, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by JeffWeaverFan

I was half-kidding. When the Jets beat the crap out of the Patriots in NE in their 6th game then I will be able to proclaim it.:) Fair enough. I won't be holding my breath, though, cause it's not likely to happen. :)

RIyankee
09-30-04, 12:56 PM
I'm ignoring JWF's silly boasts :) .

Anyway, what qualifies as a "tough" division in today's NFL?

Is it quantity of teams within a division that are vying for 1st?

Is it the quality of teams within a divison?

A case can be made for the NFC South (my choice):

NO has a high powered offense as Aaron Brooks is on his way to having a career year.
Atlanta has the exciting Michael Vick and more impressive is their improved defense since wisely switching to the 4-3.
Then there's the scrappy NFC champion Panthers who still have a very good defense and running game.

The AFC East has NE and NYJ at 2-0. The Pats fresh from winning SB XXXVIII and having a terrific offseason (based on expert opinions) can't be "overrated". However the Jets look good in their first 2 games. Unfortunately, they have a much to prove as they haven't beaten anybody. (The Pats beat the Colts). Buffalo and Miami have problems. Bottom line is the AFC East is a 2-team race, as is AFC North, and AFC West.

NFC East: Philly is running away.
NFC North: Very competitive but loaded with low quality teams.
NFC West: Let's declare Seattle the winner and cut the pretense.
AFC North: Steelers and Ravens
AFC West: Denver and Oakland. (Denver is better IMO and can runaway)
AFC South: This could still wind up as the toughest division. If Houston doesn't cough up the football against the Lions and Chargers, they'd be 3-0. The Titans are toast after an 0-3 start. The Colts are proving me wrong but it's a long season and lack of depth and a shaky "D" could be their downfall. Jacksonville has a big test at home against the Colts.

uconnhoopz123
10-02-04, 09:13 PM
AFC east cause if youre in it you automatically have 2 losses cause you play the jets.

uconnhoopz123
10-02-04, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by uconnhoopz123
AFC east cause if youre in it you automatically have 2 losses cause you play the jets. and you have no chance of winning it cause you gets ur two losses and the jets go 16-0 so you cant do better than 14-2

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
10-02-04, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by RIyankee
NFC East: Philly is running away.

This is not true! Maybe in a few weeks it will be, but as of right now, they're still only a game up on the 2 teams behind them. Let's not count our chickens. ;)

Soriambi
10-02-04, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by DaBoys4LifeNYY35

This is not true! Maybe in a few weeks it will be, but as of right now, they're still only a game up on the 2 teams behind them. Let's not count our chickens. ;)

Yeah, I don't see how you can say a team with a one game lead is running away. That's almost like saying the Pats are running away with the AFC East. It might end up being true, but right now they're tied for the lead. Right now, every team is still in it, especially ones that are only a game back. The NFL these days is very unpredictable and I think just about anything can happen.