PDA

View Full Version : Point Given wins Santa Anita Derby

Superunknown
04-08-01, 07:52 PM
I watched the replay of the race on Santa Anita's website. I was very impressed with Point Given's performance. He put the field away with ease and showed excellent speed. He earned his status as the Kentucky Derby favorite, that's for sure.

It's going to be a very interesting Derby next month. :)

http://www.drf2000.com/home/headline/headline.html

Point Given blows them away
By Jay Privman

ARCADIA, Calif. - Point Given, leaving no doubt as to his position among the nation's 3-year-olds, overpowered five rivals in Saturday's $750,000 Santa Anita Derby and now heads to Louisville as the favorite for next month's Kentucky Derby.

Point Given could not have been any more impressive. He showed unusual speed leaving the gate to get early position, engaged pacesetter Crafty C.T. midway down the backstretch, then drew off with his long, powerful strides to cruise to a 5 1/2-length victory over Crafty C.T. It was another three lengths back to I Love Silver in third.

Palmeiro was fourth, followed by Cherokee Kim and Scorpion, whose last-place finish continued a disastrous spring for his trainer, D. Wayne Lukas. Scorpion returned with a nasty gash on his right front hoof.

Early Flyer and Startac were scratched, the latter because the track was off. The trainers of both colts said they would run in Saturday's $200,000 California Derby at Bay Meadows.

The track was rated wet-fast after an inch of rain fell here Friday night and Saturday morning. The track was sealed Saturday morning, and workouts were not permitted. Point Given covered 1 1/8 miles in an excellent 1:47.77. This was the first time the Santa Anita Derby ad been run on an off track since 1957.

Point Given, the 7-10 favorite, paid $3.40 to win, and he completed a national pick three that began with Distilled in the Illinois Derby and Percy Hope in the Lone Star Derby. It paid $28.60 for $1.

Point Given, a colt by Thunder Gulch out of the Turkoman mare Turko's Turn, has now won five times in eight starts for his owner and breeder, Prince Ahmed Salman's The Thoroughbred Corporation. Point Given finished second in each of his three losses. Saturday's winning purse of $450,000 brought his total earnings to $1,218,500.

Both Bob Baffert, the trainer of Point Given, and jockey Gary Stevens scored record-equaling victories in the race. Baffert won the Santa Anita Derby for the fourth time, tying Lukas; Baffert has had eight starters in the race to Lukas's 30. Stevens won the race for the eighth time, tying him with Bill Shoemaker.

"That's pretty select company, and quite an honor," Stevens said.

Point Given broke sharply from the inside post and went with Crafty C.T. for the first furlong. Stevens then let Crafty C.T. go, and switched Point Given to the outside, where he stalked Crafty C.T. until midway down the backstretch. "I just had to pull the trigger when it was time," Stevens said.

Point Given cruised to the lead on the turn, then kicked clear once Stevens tapped him on the shoulder at the top of the stretch. Stevens said Point Given was ready for the next step.

"The last time I felt this confident was in 1988 with Winning Colors," Stevens said, referring to his first Kentucky Derby victory. "She's the only [Santa Anita] Derby winner I've ridden that won with the comfort level that this colt did today."

Baffert said Point Given would be flown to Kentucky on April 18.

Jen!!!
04-09-01, 12:14 PM
They fly horses to races? Hmmm...guess I never thought about how they got their before, but that just seems odd to me...I wonder how the horses feel about that? And do they go first class? Does that include complimentary sugar cubes? :)

The derby is the only race I ever bet on...Super, do you think it's safe to put money on Point Given? I haven't heard much about the odds yet this year and haven't been scanning any websites to find out who's doing what...just thought you might have an inside track on this one...(And if I lose, I won't come looking for you, I promise!)

Superunknown
04-09-01, 03:21 PM
Yep, Jen, they do fly horses to races. The planes are specially outfitted to carry them -- kind of like a flying stable. Some horses don't handle it very well. I guess they get jet lag just like people do. That's probably why Point Given's people are sending him to Kentucky in mid April, so he can adjust.

As for Derby wagering, well, I'm not sure. Point Given looked really good winning on Saturday, but he's definitely going to be at low odds. According to the Daily Racing Form's website, he was 2-1 in the latest Futures Wagering Pool, which translates into a $6 payoff for a $2 bet. Based on what I saw Saturday, I think he can win the race, but he won't pay well.

I always like to look for a price, so what I'll probably end up doing is focusing on the exotics, especially the trifecta. This weekend there will be 3 major Derby preps, which ought to make the picture much clearer. Monarchos, another horse I like a lot, will be running. If he does as well as he did in his last race, I will definitely look to bet him in an exotic with Point Given, with a higher priced horse for third. I'll be watching these 3 races with interest, and I'll definitely be back here talking about the Derby as it gets closer. :)

Jen!!!
04-10-01, 06:23 AM
Thanks Super! I'll be anticipating your updates! :)

Oh, by the way, since you're a Soundgarden fan...did you hear that Chris Cornell is taking the reins (nice horse-racing tie-in, eh? Hahahaa!) for Rage Against The Machine? I can't believe this...I mean, I looooove his voice, but is he really angry enough to fill De La Rocha's boots? It oughtta be interesting anyway... :)

Superunknown
04-10-01, 07:19 PM
I did hear that Cornell and Rage had done some stuff together. I can't imagine what that must have sounded like. On the surface it seems like a very odd mix. I don't have any idea of what Cornell is like politically, but I'm with you -- I can't see him spitting out some of the angrier stuff in the Rage catalog. Plus, what would Rage sound like with a guy who can actually sing? I'd check it out just for the novelty value.

Jen!!!
04-11-01, 06:12 AM
I totally agree...Cornell seems to have that whole "live and let live" political stance going for him, and as much as I can see him screaming (a'la De La Rocha) "YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!"...it's a very strange mix, still. :lol:
In other ex-Soundgardener news, Matt Cameron is drumming on the new Geddy Lee solo album. I just got it and it's really good! :)
Happy listening!

Superunknown
04-11-01, 07:59 PM
I've heard some cuts from that Geddy Lee album. Sounds pretty good. I do believe I'll pick it up. :)