PDA

View Full Version : Gammons: SABR focus shifting to defense

Pomp
09-13-04, 09:21 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1880247

RIyankee
09-13-04, 12:01 PM
Great article. Gammons has his uses.

These aren't your father's (or grandfather's Red Sox).

I'd like to think Cashman and his staff are working along these lines.

Rich
09-15-04, 02:47 AM
Ken Rosenthal had a recent column that touched on a similar theme:

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2966006

FWIW, my view of the importance of defense has evolved over the course of this season. The Yankees' OF defense is awful. Since LF and RF will remain the same, the only hope for improvement is in CF, i.e., Beltran.

WiffleWOOD
09-15-04, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Rich
FWIW, my view of the importance of defense has evolved over the course of this season. The Yankees' OF defense is awful. Since LF and RF will remain the same, the only hope for improvement is in CF, i.e., Beltran.

i have the same thing going on, rich. i really didn't give much weight to the import of defense coming into this season (at least not nearly as much as most traditionalists gave it). After watching the travesty of the Yankees CF situation this year, though, and the large disparity in the starters' DIPS ERA and actual ERA (yes, some of this is luck, but some of it is D too), I realize how significant an effect defense can have.

As Beane and others are saying, perhaps this now is the "undervalued" aspect that teams will go after (e.g. Kotsay).

Sabermetrics
09-18-04, 03:16 AM
It's not that SABR focus is shifting to defense, it's that the "Moneyball" philosophy of finding players who are undervalued shifted from OBP to defense because OBP is no longer undervalued. Gammons is still a hack.

ChewieTobbacca
09-18-04, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by Sabermetrics
Gammons is still a hack.

I can't stand it whenver the guy talks about OBP and OPS on BBTN or in any of his articles.

At the beginning of the year, he was saying how OBP and OPS wasn't a big deal. Now every time he speaks he's parading OBP SLG and OPS as though he were a big sabermetric guy. Yeah, right.