PDA

View Full Version : Jets QB Pennington to get $22 million in guaranteed money

RIyankee
09-01-04, 12:12 PM
This means Tom Brady will get at least $25mil guaranteed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1872170

PinstripePride
09-01-04, 12:54 PM
Glad they're locking him up.

JeffWeaverFan
09-01-04, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by RIyankee

Why would the worse QB get more money?:confused: ;)

This is great news though, we needed to lock up our franchise as he will prove to be the best QB in the league this year.

PinstripePride
09-01-04, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by JeffWeaverFan

Why would the worse QB get more money?:confused: ;)

:lol:

he will prove to be the best QB in the league this year.

He will be amazing, but best in the league? :uhh:

JeffWeaverFan
09-01-04, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by PinstripePride
He will be amazing, but best in the league? :uhh:
Well, as I've stated many times I do think Pennington is better than Brady. And yes, Pennington will have the best QB rating in the league this season! That's a guarentee!

PinstripePride
09-01-04, 05:19 PM
I hope to hell you're right dude.

RIyankee
09-01-04, 05:36 PM
Brady has looked pretty good in preseason play. ;)

JeffWeaverFan
09-01-04, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by RIyankee
Brady has looked pretty good in preseason play. ;)
So has Chad:).

JeffWeaverFan
09-02-04, 12:08 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1872841

The New York Jets and representatives for Chad Pennington on Wednesday finalized an seven-year contract extension that is worth $64.197 million in so-called "new money" for the fifth-year quarterback. The deal, which extends Pennington's contract through the 2011 season -- he signed with the Jets as a first-round pick in 2000 -- includes combined bonus money of $23 million.

The best QB in the league is getting a lot of money...

CrazyNY
09-02-04, 03:40 PM
The best QB in the league is getting a lot of money... What's the career win/loss record of this "best QB in the league"? Or did you mean Manning? Or Brady? You had to have meant someone other than Pennington, right?

RIyankee
09-02-04, 04:46 PM
Brady has 3, not 2, years left on his contract. The Pats probably won't deal with him until February. Same applies to DL Richard Seymour.

JeffWeaverFan
09-02-04, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by CrazyNY
What's the career win/loss record of this "best QB in the league"? Or did you mean Manning? Or Brady? You had to have meant someone other than Pennington, right?
You'll see this year who the best QB in the league is.

NYYFAN
09-02-04, 06:45 PM

You'll see this year who the best QB in the league is.

Did you draft him in the FFL? :evil:

JeffWeaverFan
09-02-04, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by NYYFAN

Did you draft him in the FFL? :evil:
Speaking of which, can someone explain to me step by step how to get into the league thing? I know I'm doing something wrong because I always get the error...

hugelongtermdeal
01-24-05, 11:17 AM
Well, as I've stated many times I do think Pennington is better than Brady. And yes, Pennington will have the best QB rating in the league this season! That's a guarentee!

Guarentee?

Kulish29
01-24-05, 01:56 PM

The Pats win this SB and Brady is going to be asking for crazy money. As he should.

NDBoston
01-24-05, 02:02 PM
Jeff:

Are you still claiming Pennington is better than Brady? Just curious.....

RIyankee
01-24-05, 02:12 PM
The Pats win this SB and Brady is going to be asking for crazy money. As he should.

Don't forget, the post you're referring to was made months ago.

Now, if the Pats win SB39, Brady's asking sigining bonus will be around the $30-35mil range.

WebsterMulligan
01-24-05, 07:00 PM

Brady = future HOF QB.
Pennington = :dunno:

JeffWeaverFan
01-24-05, 11:52 PM
Guarentee?
To be fair, Chad played with a torn rotator cuff and still managed a QB rating just 1.6 less than Brady's.

Jeff:

Are you still claiming Pennington is better than Brady? Just curious.....
No, I can't claim that now for a couple reasons. 1. I was impressed with Brady against Pitt. 2. Chad hasn't shown he can stay healthy.

So, no, I guess Brady is the better QB right now. I do think that Chad could still end up being a great QB in this league though.

edit: It should be noted that Chad had thrown only 3 interceptions in the first 9 weeks before the injury. And, 1 of those int's was in the game he got hurt and probably happened after the injury. Just saying that before the injury, Chad was a much better QB than what people remember of him from the latter part of the season.

cubswin
01-25-05, 01:06 AM
...No, I can't claim that now for a couple reasons. 1. I was impressed with Brady against Pitt. 2. Chad hasn't shown he can stay healthy.

So, no, I guess Brady is the better QB right now. ....

Wow. :clap:

JeffWeaverFan
01-25-05, 01:54 PM
Wow. :clap:
Even I can't be that stubborn.

RIyankee
01-25-05, 06:55 PM
Even I can't be that stubborn.

Any more stubborn, you'd be a tree. ;)
:lol:

hugelongtermdeal
01-26-05, 09:07 AM
edit: It should be noted that Chad had thrown only 3 interceptions in the first 9 weeks before the injury. And, 1 of those int's was in the game he got hurt and probably happened after the injury. Just saying that before the injury, Chad was a much better QB than what people remember of him from the latter part of the season.

The Jets were 6-2 in at this point. They had beaten:
Cincy 8-8
SD 12-4
Miami 4-12
Buff 9-7
SF 2-14
Miami 4-12

Was he that good, or was his success a product of a weak schedule?

RIyankee
01-26-05, 10:09 AM
The Jets were 6-2 in at this point. They had beaten:
Cincy 8-8
SD 12-4
Miami 4-12
Buff 9-7
SF 2-14
Miami 4-12

Seriously, knowing that Chad played with a tear, I'm impressed with him. Coaching decisions aside, the Jets accounted themselves well in the Playoffs. They exposed SD and should have beaten Pittsburgh.

JeffWeaverFan
01-26-05, 02:28 PM
Seriously, knowing that Chad played with a tear, I'm impressed with him. Coaching decisions aside, the Jets accounted themselves well in the Playoffs. They exposed SD and should have beaten Pittsburgh.
Yep, John Abraham should learn something from him. By the way, looking back on it, I wish we had waited on signing him to the extension until after this season. My guess is the deal would have been for less.

Snatch Catch
01-26-05, 04:16 PM

Is Brady that good, or is his success a product of being the perfect fit for a brilliant system?

BillBuckner
01-26-05, 06:32 PM
With Heimerdinger and a healthy shoulder, he will be worth the money.

NDBoston
01-26-05, 07:43 PM
Is Brady that good, or is his success a product of being the perfect fit for a brilliant system?

What does Tom Brady's success have to do with the Jets beating up on weaker opponents at the beginning of the season?

Prickly Pete
01-26-05, 08:09 PM

He's that good.

WebsterMulligan
01-26-05, 08:17 PM

Brady will be a future HOF QB.

cubswin
01-26-05, 08:54 PM

Clearly, he's just a system QB. He's barely better than Dilfer. If the Pats had Manning at the helm, they wouldn't have lost a game in the past 4 years. (Or maybe they would have, since they couldn't possibly get that lucky again.)

JeffWeaverFan
01-26-05, 09:09 PM
What does Tom Brady's success have to do with the Jets beating up on weaker opponents at the beginning of the season?
Weaker teams because of their offense. The Bills and Dolphins defense is fantastic. Not to mention, SD had a very good defense this year too. And Chad did a good job against those teams.

Snatch Catch
01-27-05, 09:18 AM
He's that good.

We shall see in the coming years...

RIyankee
01-27-05, 09:37 AM
We shall see in the coming years...

Posting this, I assume you mean if the Pats fail to win it all in the the next season, you will say "AH HA!!!! I knew all along that Tom Brady sucks!"?

If you fail see after 2 (likely 3) SB championships and 2 (maybe 3) SB MVPs and after being undefeated in postseason play since 2001, that Brady is a great QB, then your just not being objective. I think if Tom Brady is the QB for the next 2 SB champions, you would still say "he's not that good".

BTW I'm guessing that if the Jets win their first SB with Chad next season, you'll be singing his praises for the next ten years.

Gimme a break.

Snatch Catch
01-27-05, 09:58 AM
Posting this, I assume you mean if the Pats fail to win it all in the the next season, you will say "AH HA!!!! I knew all along that Tom Brady sucks!"?

If you fail see after 2 (likely 3) SB championships and 2 (maybe 3) SB MVPs and after being undefeated in postseason play since 2001, that Brady is a great QB, then your just not being objective. I think if Tom Brady is the QB for the next 2 SB champions, you would still say "he's not that good".

BTW I'm guessing that if the Jets win their first SB with Chad next season, you'll be singing his praises for the next ten years.

Gimme a break.

Way to over analyze the situation and put words into my mouth.

I believe my original question was whether or not Brady was really that good of a QB, or the "perfect fit for a brilliant system". Thats not insulting at all.

As a Jets fan, I don't think that there is a better QB for the NE Pats than Tom Brady. I don't think that they woujld be any better if they had Manning. For what they do and the way that they do it, he is absolutely the best fit.

I just don't think that he's the best QB. I think he has been great under pressure, an unwavering leader, and again: the best possible option for the system that the World Champions employ.

And FWIW, I'm in EXACTLY the same boat as JWF when it comes to Pennington. I've been singing his praises since day one, so if they win anything next year, my opion of him won't be changed.

I won't, however be saying that he's the best QB in the league. I'll be saying that there's no one that I'd rather have for my team. There's a difference there.

RIyankee
01-27-05, 10:11 AM
All QBs are system QBs.

Football is a team sport. I don't think a QB's value should be based on the system he's in or by stats, rather, on how a QB does in big games. Since, 2001 no QB has won more big games than Brady. That alone makes him the best QB in the NFL right now.

Moreover, Brady doesn't have the best WRs and his O-Line is weak in pass protection. Furthermore, Pats OC Charlie Weis' system is very complex. Brady picked it up in just over a year in the league.

The only way Brady will improve, to everyone's satisfaction, over the years is if he gets better play from his line and WRs.

Snatch Catch
01-27-05, 10:20 AM
Furthermore, Pats OC Charlie Weis' system is very complex.

That's the point. Brady executes Weis' system. And he does it as well as anyone.

But more often than not, IMHO, it is Weis' system that is getting receivers wide open. More often than not I hear the words "What a brilliant play call" rather than "What an incredible play" when it comes to the Pats passing game.

I think Brady is a great leader and an intelligent QB who succeeds under pressure. I think he's in a system that caters to his talents, and that is the biggest reason why he is mentioned by a lot of people as the best QB in the league.

hugelongtermdeal
01-27-05, 01:15 PM
I won't, however be saying that he's the best QB in the league. I'll be saying that there's no one that I'd rather have for my team. There's a difference there.

Are you saying you'd rather have Chad than Brady?

Snatch Catch
01-27-05, 02:23 PM
Are you saying you'd rather have Chad than Brady?

Going into this season? Yes.

Right now, after it he got injured AGAIN? No.

That said, I love Pennington, and I have absolutely no problem with him as my starting QB, and I think he will turn things around and become what I expect. My saying that I would rather have Brady right now than Pennington has more to do with Chad NOT impressing me than Tom doing anything that changed my opinion of him.

Yankee Bulldawg
01-28-05, 09:14 AM
honestly i dont think Pennington deserves that kind of money, until he prooves he does i dont think he does deserve it :)

twentyquestions
01-28-05, 09:57 AM
All QBs are system QBs.

Exactly - which is why I don't understand the emphasis on Tom Brady's system. Why, because it works well, appears efficient, gets players of marginal talent open? And this is Tom's fault how? Peyton Manning's System begins in air-conditioning and ends with Marvin Harrison wide open in the End Zone. Ask me, his System's the easiest, what with all those weapons.

RIyankee
01-28-05, 10:36 AM
Exactly - which is why I don't understand the emphasis on Tom Brady's system. Why, because it works well, appears efficient, gets players of marginal talent open? And this is Tom's fault how? Peyton Manning's System begins in air-conditioning and ends with Marvin Harrison wide open in the End Zone. Ask me, his System's the easiest, what with all those weapons.

Exactly.

Intelligence, leadership and vision, specifically being able to not only learn but excecute a playbook just before your spine is about to be dislodged by a 240+ blitzing LB, are the most important attributes of a QB. Give any QB enough time to throw and he will complete a pass. Every spring Brady sets the bar in offseason workouts - with the team. I'll bet no other QB works harder and pay more attention to detail than Brady.

Last night the Schmoozer (I keep forgetting his name) on WFAN said that Brady was the most underrated player on the Patriots. he noted that he had never seen a team that was so identified by their coach since Lombardi's Packers. Yet it's the players who play and Brady has proven to be a winner by making big plays when needed.