PDA

View Full Version : Mike Williams denied by NCAA for reinstatement



BroadwayBomber55
08-26-04, 03:40 PM
Is USC's Title Hopes on the ropes?

Mike Williams is not reinstated by the NCAA. Where will he play now? The CFL?

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2705550

SoCal Pinstriper
08-26-04, 03:52 PM
Unfortunatly, USC is unbelievably deep, and they play a very weak schedule. I think that they'll make the title game.

BroadwayBomber55
08-26-04, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Socal Pinstriper
Unfortunatly, USC is unbelievably deep, and they play a very weak schedule. I think that they'll make the title game.

without the strength of schedule criteria in the BCS, USC will play for the National Championship again.

Buckeye Yank
08-26-04, 04:24 PM
That's a CROCK! I know I'm a USC fan but this is a good kid (as far as I can tell). He's done verything by the book. Sure, I can see how Clarett made a mockery of the system at OSU, he was there strictly to go pro....period. Williams on the other hand, only declared because of the court ruling and as soon as the reversal was announced, he fired the agent and re-enroled at USC. I hope they can appeal or something. Sure USC is loaded for bear but I think the kid should have a chance to play.

Buckeye Yank
08-26-04, 04:29 PM
According to Coach Carroll, this may be why NCAA won't let him play......

"I have been hesitant just because of the signals I have received in the process. This was never a slam dunk. Mike has done all he can. He has passed his units, he has completed his coursework, but he was in a situation where he could not be in class in the spring semester and that six-hour rule has affected this whole process. Mike has done everything you can do under the circumstances. Everyone has anticipated that this was going to be a no-brainer, but it is not that at all. We have had to work very hard to get the point across.

(Six-Hour Rule) This is a new rule that was passed last year that an athlete must pass six (credits) in the semester preceding the competition season (not including summer sessions) to be eligible for competition. This was the first year that this was instituted and this is the key issue in Mike's case. He has enough units, he has the grade point average, but he was not enrolled in the spring."

http://usctrojans.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082404aaa.html

JeffWeaverFan
08-26-04, 05:33 PM
I'm no USC fan but it is ridiculous that the NCAA will not reinstate Mike Williams. The kid did nothing wrong and now he is being denied to play football. It's ridiculous.

cubswin
08-26-04, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by JeffWeaverFan
I'm no USC fan but it is ridiculous that the NCAA will not reinstate Mike Williams. The kid did nothing wrong and now he is being denied to play football. It's ridiculous.


especially when these football programs are nothing but minor leagues for the NFL anyway. Things like this, and Jeremy Bloom, show the NCAA to be the hypocritical bureaucracy it truly is.

BroadwayBomber55
08-26-04, 10:11 PM
That's dumb by the NCAA. Mike Williams did the right things. I don't know why Miles Brand and his wiseguys didn't reinstate him.

Now, where will Mike Williams play? CFL? Arena?

Rich
08-26-04, 11:43 PM
As a result of <a href="http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=488&invol=179">NCAA v. TARKANIAN, 488 U.S. 179 (1988)</a>, in which the USSC held that NCAA is not a "state actor" which would have made them subject to the 14th Amendment, the NCAA can do almost anything they want without any accountability.

Soriambi
08-27-04, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by BroadwayBomber55
That's dumb by the NCAA. Mike Williams did the right things. I don't know why Miles Brand and his wiseguys didn't reinstate him.

Now, where will Mike Williams play? CFL? Arena?

From what I understand, he's not playing this year-he's concentrating on school and on getting ready for the draft next year (I think he's eligible then, at least that's how I took it.)

IncredibleByNature
08-28-04, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye Yank
That's a CROCK! I know I'm a USC fan but this is a good kid (as far as I can tell). He's done verything by the book. Sure, I can see how Clarett made a mockery of the system at OSU, he was there strictly to go pro....period. Williams on the other hand, only declared because of the court ruling and as soon as the reversal was announced, he fired the agent and re-enroled at USC. I hope they can appeal or something. Sure USC is loaded for bear but I think the kid should have a chance to play.

Ditto, BE.

yankeegeek
08-28-04, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Rich
As a result of <a href="http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=488&invol=179">NCAA v. TARKANIAN, 488 U.S. 179 (1988)</a>, in which the USSC held that NCAA is not a "state actor" which would have made them subject to the 14th Amendment, the NCAA can do almost anything they want without any accountability.


The NCAA is a friggin joke! A bunch of crooks and liars! No wonder I dislike college sports with the NCAA in charge.

Looie #19
08-28-04, 10:22 AM
Wait a second, Williams was on USC? What's this talk about winning another National Championship when LSU won last year? :confused:

NDBoston
08-29-04, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye Yank
That's a CROCK! I know I'm a USC fan but this is a good kid (as far as I can tell). He's done verything by the book. Sure, I can see how Clarett made a mockery of the system at OSU, he was there strictly to go pro....period. Williams on the other hand, only declared because of the court ruling and as soon as the reversal was announced, he fired the agent and re-enroled at USC. I hope they can appeal or something. Sure USC is loaded for bear but I think the kid should have a chance to play.

A crock? Mike Williams hired an agent, took money and then doesn't show up to school for 4 months. 4 MONTHS!!

He knew the risks involved. Now he has to deal with the ramifications of the ruling.

NYYFAN
08-29-04, 09:47 PM
Mike Williams will be a top ten and possibly a top 5 pick next year...

ConnYanksFan
08-30-04, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by NYYFAN
Mike Williams will be a top ten and possibly a top 5 pick next year...
He will have gone the full season without playing football. I'd say he goes no higher than the Top 15, probably even Top 20 unless he transfers and plays at an NAIA school or goes to the CFL.

Buckeye Yank
08-30-04, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by NDBoston


A crock? Mike Williams hired an agent, took money and then doesn't show up to school for 4 months. 4 MONTHS!!

He knew the risks involved. Now he has to deal with the ramifications of the ruling.

I'm obviously not privy to what went on behind closed doors but as far as him hiring an agent, he had to do that in order to get things going. For some reason, that's always the first step these kids take. I think he should've stayed in school but I'm willing to bet his agent advised him to drop out of the spring semester so he could prepare for the draft.

And I'm not so sure that he knew ALL of the risks involved. If so, I doubt he would've done what he did. It sure seemed like those in the know at USC were surprised. It seems to me like the NCAA is doing a little bit of CYA more than anything.

Buckeye Yank
08-30-04, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Looie #19
Wait a second, Williams was on USC? What's this talk about winning another National Championship when LSU won last year? :confused:

Please tell me you're trying to be funny or something here? :eek: