PDA

View Full Version : Remember Ed Yarnall? He's heading East

NyMike
04-02-01, 04:13 PM
CINCINNATI The Cincinnati Reds sold pitcher Ed Yarnall to the Orix Blue Wave of the Japanese Pacific League on Monday for $300,000.

The left-hander came to the Reds on July 12 from the New York Yankees as part of the deal for left-hander Denny Neagle. The Reds initially considered Yarnall a contender for this year's rotation, but he appeared in only five innings this spring before being sent to the minors.

It's the second year in a row that the Reds have sold a pitcher to Japan. They sold Eddie Gaillard's rights to the Chunichi Dragons for $700,000 during spring training last year.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2000/0605/569061.html

Jim F.
04-02-01, 04:25 PM
Only $300,000??

Eddie should write a book about how to go from the top of the world to the bottom...

He was the top prospect to be the Yankees' fifth starter last year, and now this.

-jim

Butnud
04-02-01, 04:28 PM
I don't put a price tag on players but he was certainly more than 300,000. I mean come on!

YankeePride1967
04-02-01, 04:37 PM
I don't think he would have ever made it to the majors, I think his pants are still brown from his experience with the Yankees last year.

Bluesexy's daddy
04-02-01, 05:28 PM
Well on the "A-**** wage and value scale" he was wort about 15,000,000 I think.

Hey, how does that work? What is Yarnall's obligation to the Bluewaves now???

I don't know what the rules are but I am guessing that Yarnall's agent must have already worked out a deal with the Japanese team and that Yarnall had already indicated a willingness to play there.

Eddie160
04-02-01, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by GoRocket
I think his pants are still brown from his experience with the Yankees last year.

LOL thats funny true, but still funny

YankeePride1967
04-02-01, 06:00 PM
and when I say brown, I don't mean from sliding. He reminded me of Tim Robbins from Bull Durham in one of his starts.

madforyanks
04-02-01, 07:04 PM
I always thought that Yarnall was a Quadrupule A pitcher--great in Triple A but somehow lacking the stuff and/or toughness (in his case both) to make it in the majors. Basically, he's going to play Quadrupule A ball in Japan, so maybe he'll be okay. And some Western players learn enough in Japan to finally make that jump to the show. Who knows?

Yankee Mike
04-02-01, 09:44 PM
Poor guy. That really sucks... I remember being nervous about him in the starting rotation last year. I guess it wasn't meant to be.

JeanC
04-03-01, 04:43 PM
Ed Yarnell?! Yeah I remember him pitching a game at Edison Field in September 99. He was shakey at first then Mel went out to talk to him! After that it was nothing but bullets & strikes!

He pitched a winner of a game for us that day! I think that game made the Bosses take notice and put him up for a fifth starter the following season which he failed at.

I wonder if HE knew his pitching would take him the far east direction!?!

Sad but what a memory!

Stick Michael
04-03-01, 08:29 PM
I don't like the idea that a minor league contract can be sold to a different league based in country on the other side of the world. When a contract is signed with a team the intention is to try to make it to the big leagues, not the Japanese League. How is it fair that someone has to move 10,000 miles into a country where they know nothing about the language and culture so that they can make a living?

James

allybear
04-03-01, 08:39 PM
This may well be the best thing that ever happenned to him - many players who went to Japan have said it was a great experience. Of course, some can't adjust, but for those who go into it with an open mind and a good attitude, they can have a very nice career over there. It is professional baseball, it is very popular in Japan, and the players are treated very well.

I once saw Sasaki from the Mariners as a judge on "Iron Chef", I wonder if Yarnall will get to be on now that they started taping new episodes?

yankeesnum1
04-03-01, 09:00 PM
I'm sorry, but I started to laugh when I read this. This poor guy, went from a "Yankee Future Star" to nothing in just a few months??
I wonder if he can get a job as a sushi chef??

Stick Michael
04-03-01, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by allybear
I once saw Sasaki from the Mariners as a judge on "Iron Chef"

Get the hell outta here, Ally...are you serious?!? If you remember which episode it was please tell me as I'd love to see it.

Sorry to get off the subject, everyone.

James

WindRavenX
04-03-01, 11:33 PM
I remember him kickn' ass in a few games, but man, he DID get shelled an aweful lot after a few good games..
Who knows? Maybe this little trip will help him! I gotta worry about his self esteem though..can't be good now..

motella
04-04-01, 07:31 AM
The Reds sold the contract of ex-can't-miss LHP Ed Yarnall to Orix of the Japanese League the other day. Remeber when he was the next big thing to come out of the Yankee system?Now it's noodles and tofu on the post-game buffet.I wonder if the Yanks kept him and he'd had a few more years of Mel and Billy and Joe if he'd have panned out a little better? Or was he never quite going to make it anyway, no matter what? Nature or nurture, or both? 4PEAT.

Nome
04-04-01, 07:35 AM
Many players have the tools to be a great major leaguer, but in the end it is the heart and desire and determination to suceed that makes the difference.

Yarnel certainly had the tools, but the determination and heart seemed to be questionable. Same with Irabu.

KayForPresident
04-04-01, 09:13 AM
I read that yesterday too. Poor guy. Think about the emotional rollercoaster THAT must be. You're a minor leaguer in the NY Yankees system...you get the call in '99 and perform well. Going into next season, you've got the inside track to be the #5 starter. You don't know it, but this is the highpoint of your career because you fail miserably in Spring Training. You're sent back down to the minors where you just can't get it together. You're traded to Cincy. The Yanks go on to win ANOTHER WORLD SERIES. Finally, you're sold like cattle to the Japanese.