PDA

View Full Version : Steinbrenner's horse wins

Superunknown
03-24-01, 07:38 PM
Dream Supreme takes Distaff
By David Grening

JAMAICA, N.Y. - If George Steinbrenner's New York Yankees bounce back from their winter in Florida the way his 4-year-old filly Dream Supreme did here on Saturday, it should be another enjoyable summer in the Bronx.

Dream Supreme eased the pain of her season-opening defeat in last month's Shirley Jones Handicap at Gulfstream Park as she ran down Folly Dollar in deep stretch to win the Grade 2, $181,600 Distaff Breeders' Cup Handicap at Aqueduct. Folly Dollar, a reformed claimer, held off Country Hideaway by a neck for second.

Steinbrenner, whose Yankees are a major-league worst 7-16 in exhibition play, was one of the 6,139 in attendance on a gray afternoon in Queens to watch a filly who has become one of his stable favorites. A few days before Dream Supreme won last summer's Test Stakes at Saratoga, her mother, Spinning Round, was struck and killed by lightning on the farm. "I have a great attachment to this filly because of that," Steinbrenner said.

Dream Supreme, who has a tendency to break tardily, actually broke sharply on Saturday and had the lead for a few jumps. Folly Dollar, under Shaun Bridgmohan, assumed the lead shortly thereafter and set fractions of 22.99 and 46.18 seconds.

Gryder guided Dream Supreme to the outside of Folly Dollar, and turning for home Dream Supreme floated a bit wide. With 11 whacks of Gryder's left-handed whip, Dream Supreme was able to wear down Folly Dollar in the final sixteenth to win by three-quarters of a length. She covered the seven furlongs over a fast track in 1:23.66 and returned $3.60 to win as the 4-5 choice.

"I was never concerned I wasn't going to go by" Folly Dollar, Gryder said, "but it took a little work."

Folly Dollar continued to pay dividends for trainer Roy Sedlacek and Blue Stork Stables, who claimed Folly Dollar for $30,000 last December. She has won three of five starts since then and earned $36,320 for finishing second Saturday.

Country Hideaway, the second choice, raced much closer to the pace than she prefers finishing third, beaten one length. Critical Eye was fourth.

http://www.drf2000.com/home/headline/headline.html

Good looking horse:

http://www.drf2000.com/home/images2/dream_supreme0324.jpg

Butnud
03-25-01, 09:19 PM
isn't George suppsoe to be helping his team and Knobby not a dumb horse. Don't get me wrong but i love horses but come on! Show me some pinstripe spirit.

gehrigs_girl
03-25-01, 11:33 PM
But of course, Butnud! I love horses too, happen to own two myself,although we're more into rodeo than racing...actually, mine IS an ex-racehorse, and BOY does he have issues!!

OH, but I digress!!

As I was about to tell you, this is why Steinbrenner makes such sucky monetary moves and cruddy decisions re. trades and purchases... ya gotta save that big money to spend on the equine moneypits! (As I said, I love horses, don't get me wrong!)

But think about it... hmmmm??