PDA

View Full Version : Alfonso Soriano has a .753 OPS

VanHalen5150
05-30-04, 06:50 PM
His slugging percentage is down to .429 and his on base percentage is down to .324. This surprised me that he is having this kind of offensive output. You would think he is a god with Mets fans calling up WFAN to trade for him.

Did Soriano peak or will he still have a few more great seasons?

NJASDJDH
05-30-04, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by VanHalen5150
His slugging percentage is down to .429 and his on base percentage is down to .324. This surprised me that he is having this kind of offensive output. You would think he is a god with Mets fans calling up WFAN to trade for him.

Did Soriano peak or will he still have a few more great seasons?

Considering that he is now 28, I would say he's peaked.

chanman7483
05-31-04, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by NJASDJDH

Considering that he is now 28, I would say he's peaked.

kinda like bonds huh?

NJASDJDH
05-31-04, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by chanman7483

kinda like bonds huh?

Not everyone is Bonds. It also helps that Bonds has a batting eye.

NicktheStick36
06-02-04, 09:12 PM
Kinda like Juan Samuel

ed
06-04-04, 10:20 AM
I think Soriano may have peaked, but he is not on the decline simply because he is having a poor month (after a great month). Instead, I think it is perfectly likely that we will see more of the same over the next few years with him: flashes of brilliance, and periods of intense frustration. I don't think it's out of the question that he could go 30-30 or better, challenge .300 and strike out 125 times a year for the next few years. He is a much better player than Juan Samuel, I think the comparison is a little unfair.

NJASDJDH
06-04-04, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by ed
I think Soriano may have peaked, but he is not on the decline simply because he is having a poor month (after a great month). Instead, I think it is perfectly likely that we will see more of the same over the next few years with him: flashes of brilliance, and periods of intense frustration. I don't think it's out of the question that he could go 30-30 or better, challenge .300 and strike out 125 times a year for the next few years. He is a much better player than Juan Samuel, I think the comparison is a little unfair.

He hasn't had a great month yet this year.

bakntime
06-04-04, 01:16 PM
His OPS is now down to .737 - (.319 OBP, .418 Slug). That's pretty weak. Soriano has always, in my opinion, been less that his tally stats would indicate... aside from HRs, RBIs and Runs, what was "great" about his offensive game?

Hitting in the middle of the potent Texas offense, he's performing quite un-impressively, and despite very early season signs of improved plate discipline, right now his all around numbers are showing no signs of either patience or power.

NJASDJDH
06-04-04, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by bakntime
His OPS is now down to .737 - (.319 OBP, .418 Slug). That's pretty weak. Soriano has always, in my opinion, been less that his tally stats would indicate... aside from HRs, RBIs and Runs, what was "great" about his offensive game?

Hitting in the middle of the potent Texas offense, he's performing quite un-impressively, and despite very early season signs of improved plate discipline, right now his all around numbers are showing no signs of either patience or power.

Yeah, at the time, I thought the A-Rod deal was a good one, not the great one many were proclaiming it to be, but I am now inclined to think it was actually great.