PDA

View Full Version : Girl Hit by Foul Ball (Colorado)

Sandman
05-17-04, 09:25 AM
Please pray for this girl. Also, it has been demonstrated that the area down the baselines in the lowest deck is the most dangerous for line drive foul balls. Please do NOT sit there with young children.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=1802846

Associated Press

DENVER -- A young girl was hit in the head by a foul ball and was carried from the stands on a stretcher during Sunday's game between the Colorado Rockies and Philadelphia Phillies.

The girl, sitting about 20 rows behind the Rockies' dugout on the first-base side of the stadium, was struck by a foul ball hit by Philadelphia's David Bell in the seventh inning.

Paramedics attended to her for about 10 minutes before putting her in a neck brace and taping her head to a stretcher. She was wrapped in a blanket and was holding hands with a man, who apparently accompanied her to the game.

A paramedic said the girl suffered a head injury and was taken to Children's Hospital in Denver, but said he couldn't provide her name or information on her condition because of federal privacy laws.

Rockies and hospital officials declined to comment, citing the same laws.

chanman7483
05-17-04, 11:07 AM
Ugh. I hate hearing about these things. Sitting in the lower sections always requires you to be at full attention at all times. Those things get into the stands quick.........

NYYFAN
05-17-04, 11:20 AM
The fact that she was holding someone's hand, is a VERY good sign...

Get well little girl...

yankeesnum1
05-17-04, 11:53 AM
Get well soon little girl

Makes you wonder if MLB will put them nets up like they have over in Japan and like the nets that the NHL put up behind the end boards

SanFrANSKY
05-17-04, 03:01 PM
A terrible thing, and I do hope she will be okay. However, every time something like this happens people talk about putting up nets, etc. It's rare that anyone gets hurt. The fact is that thousands of games are played every day on the major and minor league levels, and in nearly all of them the fans enjoy the game in safety.

penfold
05-17-04, 03:10 PM
Ever been to a minor league stadium? Since you're even closer to the action, those baseline seats are even more lethal. You need to bring a glove -- not just to try to catch a ball but to protect your head in case a line drive comes right at you.

I hope the kid recovers quickly. And nets would not be a bad thing along baselines. In addition to preventing injury they might help prevent fan interference.

BrooklynBotz
05-17-04, 03:17 PM
while i don't like to hear about anyone getting hurt, i really hope they don't put nets up. i've sat behind the nets they put up for hockey and found them very distracting.

hellonewman
05-17-04, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by penfold
Ever been to a minor league stadium? Since you're even closer to the action, those baseline seats are even more lethal.

Tell me about it. And the thing is, at a lot of minor league stadiums, people just don't pay attention to the game. They're there because it's a night out with their kids and they're chatting and jabbering about everything except the game. I was at a Durham Bulls game recently where the stands were packed, but there was hardly any crowd reaction to the action. It was really weird I think you'd have been hard pressed to find 10 people in the stands who even knew what the score was.

Those are the kind of situations where you just pray no one gets skulled by a line drive, because you just know nobody's paying attention.

SoCal Pinstriper
05-17-04, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by chanman7483
Ugh. I hate hearing about these things. Sitting in the lower sections always requires you to be at full attention at all times. Those things get into the stands quick.........

Very true. I wish her a speedy and complete recovery.

I was a Rockies season ticket holder for the franchise's first five seasons. We were behind third base. I used to tell non-regulars in our section that they really needed to pay attention. The stands there are very close to the field.

Leesha
05-18-04, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by Sandman
Please pray for this girl. Also, it has been demonstrated that the area down the baselines in the lowest deck is the most dangerous for line drive foul balls. Please do NOT sit there with young children.

That is such a tragedy. The balls come with amazing speed, and if you blink, you could be seriously injured. I'll definitely keep this child and her family in my thoughts:(

Sandman
05-18-04, 09:18 AM
Update

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1803646

Monday, May 17, 2004

Associated Press

DENVER -- A young girl struck by a foul ball at a Colorado Rockies game this weekend was resting at home Monday, recovering from a concussion.

Please see link for further information as full-length articles are not to be posted. Thanks. :) -mod