PDA

View Full Version : Any baseball players here?

seahorse
02-02-00, 09:29 PM
Anyone here participate in the great game of baseball other than as a fan - as a player, or coach? I coach my daughter's team of 10 year olds, and hit at the Chelsea Piers batting cages 4 nights a week. I was asked to play in an over 40 league last year but couldn't arrange it. I'm sure I'd be great though (haha). Anyone care to share tips on hitting, catching, running, coaching, etc.?

By the way - Ty Cobb really did say to stand on your front leg. I tried it - it works. You may not hit for power, but you connect more often, and can aim your shots better.

------------------
Seargent at Arms
Ansky39 Fan Club

Best. Go Yanks!

yanksgirl24
02-02-00, 09:59 PM
former softball player if that counts! my dad coached my little league team and we had a lot of fun. well it was fun except for the time i threw the bat at him, but we don't talk about that! http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/redface.gif thats as close as i come, sorry!

------------------
bhtl's #1 fan

Jim F
02-02-00, 11:45 PM
Seahorse, let me know when you're down there at Chelsea, I'd love to hit the ball a few times, it's been a while...

http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/smile.gif

seahorse
02-03-00, 11:09 PM
I'm there every weekday night except Wednesday from 6:30 to 7. I'm usually wearing either my Strawberry or Clemens batting shirt. $1 token/10 balls. Don't forget to practice bunting!

------------------
Seargent at Arms
Ansky39 Fan Club

Best. Go Yanks!

chelle
02-19-00, 09:52 AM
I play softball, probably bore you talking about it too... I play in Teeners, 15 and Under Tournaments, and am the youngest in 16 and Under Drifton.

------------------
Chelle, in all the forums (or is it Fori?!)

seahorse
02-19-00, 08:46 PM
The NYU girls softball team has been practicing at Chelsea Piers recently.

------------------
A39FC
Best GoYanks!

AnskyGal7
02-26-00, 05:05 PM
chelle, sounds like you love to play as much as I do!!

I played baseball when I was younger, but then you get to that age when you are forced to play softball. but hey, bat, ball,and mitt, im happy. i wish i was tall enough to play first base! i am just the opposite, like my boy chuck, i play second base, and a little shortstop. used to pitch in baseball, but i cant seem to pitch a softball quite as good.

I do have a batting tip: make sure you wear a helmet that fits! after fooling with helmets that either fall off or give you a migraine, i got my own, and the batting average increased substantially, hahaha.

------------------
"The-e-e Yankees Win!!!"

"And if I can make it there, I'm gonna make it, anywhere. It's up to you, New York, New York."
--Frank Sinatra

chelle
02-26-00, 11:02 PM
I've been going to JV Softball Open Gyms, much fun! We were hitting in the basement of a supermarket in town (lighting sucked!) and he was there like "you're pretty tall, ever think about first base?"
i go "whenever i throw the ball there, yeah"
and he's there like "you don't play there?"
im there like "nope! I play short stop"
He seemed really surprised. LOL! Also he seemed surprised when I hit the ball to the end of the basement and said, "I'm thirteen"
Gotta love those softball coaches! LOL!

------------------
Chelle, in all the forums (or is it Fori?!)

chelle
02-27-00, 06:36 PM
I pitch in softball, I'm quick, but my controlling stinks! I'm not old enough to play JV yet, but I'm managing so I'm allowed to go to Open Gyms and practices. I love playing every sport. Just being outside makes me happy. I can hate the sport (lol, I don't like soccer that much, but I play it. The same with basketball!) but I'll just play to be outside or to be running or to be with my friends.
I'm probably a better short stop than anything else. I have my own helmet, too. My dad bought it for me for my birthday last year when I got hit in the head with a golfball while out practicing my driving.

------------------
One and only member in my fan club

seahorse
02-28-00, 10:37 PM
So now you wear a batting helmet on the golf course? My daughter wants to pitch in the league this year. I'm going to work with her on it. I'm sure she'll be great. I bought her everything she needs: helmet, bat, glove, tee, but I give as much time as I can. As long as she likes it, she can do it. Her first love is gymnastics.

------------------
A39FC
Best GoYanks!

chelle
03-01-00, 06:06 PM
Nah, I use it for tournaments. Tournaments are so much fun! Too many good memories of the escapades of Chelle and April while waiting four hours for another game. Like the time we got into an argument with players from another team, and the time we were laying in the shade and I go to grab a ball that came by the trees and I fall in the creek. LOL! Too many good memories from basketball tournaments, too. Like the time we played St. Clair and they go, "HEY THAT TALL PLAYER GOT AN ATTITUDE!" a little too loud (too bad I fouled out that game!! I could have knocked them around some more or made my fifth foul something good) LOL!

------------------
"Seventy-five percent of my life is basketball. The other twenty-five percent of my life is my bum. That's where I spend my Saturday nights..." Coach Eric "Jeter"

Butnud
03-26-00, 05:48 PM
You can count me in. Right now I play on my college baseball team. I am not pro material but I know the game and know how to play it rather well.....

------------------
Today. I consider myself the luckiest man on the face the Earth. -Lou Gehrig-

Tino24
03-26-00, 09:43 PM
Well, I'm a ex-softball player.. played one season then tore my rotator cuff (Long drawn story.. don't ask) but for that season I played.. I hit .471 3 hr's and around 20 to 30 RBI's and 2 SB I went from CF to DH.. so that was good for me.. (Im not exactly fast)
So i miss it.. Im re-habing my arm now.. hopefully I can play my senior year.. Im looking to win that championship..

Mod T http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/cool.gif 24
"They said.. Don't come back here Yankee"

------------------
If Being a Yankee Fan is wrong, then by god, I don't wanna be right
DestiNY
Ends in NY
"OUR CAPTAIN AND LEADER HAS NOT LEFT US TODAY, TOMORROW, THIS YEAR, NEXT,OUR ENDEAVORS WILL REFLECT OUR LOVE AND ADMIRATION FOR HIM"

MAFIA
03-27-00, 06:45 PM
WELL the last time I played baseball was when I was 16, I was good in fact I was very good, just did not stick w/it , thought hanging in the streets were cool but I was sure wrong about that. ONCE had a game where I went 6-7 w/I think 15 or 16 rbi's the bases were loaded just about each time I went up, we won something like 22-21 in a game we hadto continue the next day. I had also thrown 2 no hitters in the same season, but where does that get me now? TRYED playing softball when I was 21 was good at that also but it just was not the same w/me. MAN I look back to when I was a kid, very good in sports but I had the wild streak on the outside, you know, the girls, partying etc. TO any of you who are in school still, if you play sports stick w/them, because I know for me it could of been a way out, that's the only time I was really happy was throwing a ball and watching THE YANK'S, EVERY kid has that dream to make it big, if you have it, then strive for it or be happy w/it , it can build you self esteem and a certain confidence that can grow in you, well enough of my nonsense talk here, I just get frustrated thinking about those years I wasted.

------------------

seahorse
03-27-00, 07:48 PM
Me too Maf. When I think about some of the things I did I'm amazed I'm alive. But everything's O.K. now. I just wish I played more baseball when I was younger. I was hitting pretty good tonight from both sides of the plate (slow pitch - It was the only cage left).

------------------
A39FC
Best GoYanks!