PDA

View Full Version : opinions needed

yanksgirl24
02-16-00, 04:59 PM
i'm not sure if this topic belongs here, but its worth a shot. being i have class in an hour i just had a brilliant idea for my paper and i need the opinions of some intelligent baseball people. my paper is about sportsmanship in baseball and i chose three incidents to write about. i need anybody's opinion on the roberto alomar spitting inident, the benitez/tino beaning and brawl, and of course our friend rocker and his big mouth. i just need some opinions on what you thought about these things taking place and the fines/punishments handed out. i'm going to try to have opinions of the fans in my paper. thanks so much everyone!!!

------------------
bthl's #1 fan

I am sad to see you go but keep your hopes up and something good will happen to you. Don't go out there not knowing what you want or people will take advantage of you, so take charge and be on your merry way.
CB 6/99

XZavirer
02-21-00, 07:01 AM
Sorry I did not respond sooner to your question. I believe that the Alomar incident was an all-time low in baseball history. That Alomar got away with it makes it even worse. The commisioner's office only handed Alomar a 5 game suspension, and they allowed him to wait until after that year's playoffs to serve it. Big deal, 5 games at the start of the seeaon is like nothing. It is very bad when a sports figure can show such disrespect to an authority figure and get away with it. I believe that such incidence sends a very wrong message to children. The act of spitting at a person is one of the lowest things I can think of. The Benitez incident, while also a vile act of cowardice, is in some ways part of the game. I am not saying that it is right for a pitcher to throw at a batter. But the brushback pitch has always been a part of the game. Benitez just took it to a new low by throwing a pitch at Tino's back. The purposee of a brushback pitch is for a pitcher to back the batter off the plate. Also, the intention is for the pitcher to make the batter uncomfortable in the box. When a pitcher throws with the intention of outright hitting the batter that is unacceptable. And I believe the Yanks (particularly Darryl) let Benitez know that he crossed the line. I do not expect to see the end of the brushback pitch in baseball ever. As for John Rocker, what can you say about someone so stupid? I can not imagine what he was thinking when he said those things to a reporter of a national magazine. But, let's face it. This is America, and it is his right to say those things. It is his right to ruin his career, which is what I think he did. I hope these opinions are helpful to you, and I hope it is not too late for you to use for your work.

------------------

yanksgirl24
02-21-00, 10:52 AM
thanks xzavirer, thats a big help! and no, the papers not due til next wednesday so i have plenty of time! thanks again!

------------------
bthl's #1 fan
pres. of the bthl fan club

I am sad to see you go but keep your hopes up and something good will happen to you. Don't go out there not knowing what you want or people will take advantage of you, so take charge and be on your merry way.
CB 6/99

Butnud
03-26-00, 10:57 PM
ROCKER should be banned from baseball. He is not liked by anybody but messed up Brave fans. But again Atlanta is not a baseball team. It is a racist soemthing of baseball..

------------------
Today. I consider myself the luckiest man on the face the Earth. -Lou Gehrig-