PDA

View Full Version : Could the 2004 Royals be worse than the 2003 Tigers?



BruceCampbellKG7
05-09-04, 02:52 PM
Of course the Royals are losing to the Red Sox already, and there's no way they'll come back and win. I have seen absolutely nothing from this team except terrible pitching a bunch of crusty veterans (Gonzalez, Santiago, Stairs, even Sweeny)...i wonder if this team will honestly set the record for losses in a season, or at lesat be worse than the 2003 Tigers..i think it's possible, seeing as their best player, Beltran, probably wont last the season on that team, and they have absolutely no pitching at all...thoughts?

BruceCampbellKG7
05-09-04, 02:53 PM
obviously in my thread title i meant "2004" Royals

MaineSoxFan
05-09-04, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by BruceCampbellKG7
Of course the Royals are losing to the Red Sox already, and there's no way they'll come back and win. I have seen absolutely nothing from this team except terrible pitching a bunch of crusty veterans (Gonzalez, Santiago, Stairs, even Sweeny)...i wonder if this team will honestly set the record for losses in a season, or at lesat be worse than the 2003 Tigers..i think it's possible, seeing as their best player, Beltran, probably wont last the season on that team, and they have absolutely no pitching at all...thoughts?

Their outfield is horrendous, other than Beltran. Stairs and Gonzalez are awful in the corners. You get the feeling watching Gonzalez that he just doesn't care what happens.

BruceCampbellKG7
05-09-04, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by MaineSoxFan


Their outfield is horrendous, other than Beltran. Stairs and Gonzalez are awful in the corners. You get the feeling watching Gonzalez that he just doesn't care what happens.

Excellent point man...that single that Varitek got to score Manny for the win a couple days ago, he like walked to the ball! He looks like he has no desire to play anymore..he used to be a monster..

Happyboy
05-09-04, 03:16 PM
No.

MaineSoxFan
05-09-04, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by BruceCampbellKG7


Excellent point man...that single that Varitek got to score Manny for the win a couple days ago, he like walked to the ball! He looks like he has no desire to play anymore..he used to be a monster..

Did you see Pokey's in the park homer yesterday? Gonzalez was casually trotting around trying to grab the ball, that should have been a double, maybe a triple.

PinstripePride
05-09-04, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by BruceCampbellKG7
Excellent point man...that single that Varitek got to score Manny for the win a couple days ago, he like walked to the ball! He looks like he has no desire to play anymore..he used to be a monster..

I could not freakin' believe that. I figured Manny was on third, and the game was over when it dropped in. But Manny was on FIRST. Gonzalez made absolutely NO effort on that ball. There's no excuse for that crap. If I'm the manager, Juan is getting a couple days off.

ACPS
05-09-04, 08:22 PM
Funny. I thought Juan Gone would play hard for Pena.

OilCan
05-09-04, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by MaineSoxFan


Did you see Pokey's in the park homer yesterday? Gonzalez was casually trotting around trying to grab the ball, that should have been a double, maybe a triple.

Hmm, I got a different impression. He definitely tip-toed into the corner after Tek's hit the night before. Maybe he was afraid of getting spit on? ;)

I thought if anything he was too aggressive on Pokey's ball, cause he overran it a bit, and it kicked out past him. Now, after it got past him, he seemed to dog it a bit going after it, if that's what you meant. They still almost got Pokey, Relaford played the reply perfectly.

MaineSoxFan
05-09-04, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by OilCan


Hmm, I got a different impression. He definitely tip-toed into the corner after Tek's hit the night before. Maybe he was afraid of getting spit on? ;)

I thought if anything he was too aggressive on Pokey's ball, cause he overran it a bit, and it kicked out past him. Now, after it got past him, he seemed to dog it a bit going after it, if that's what you meant. They still almost got Pokey, Relaford played the reply perfectly.

I did mean once it bounced into the corner, after it rolled away he took his time getting to it. I bet Pokey would have had to stop at 3rd if he had been hustling, that was a close play at the plate.

nyyfanatic85
05-09-04, 11:43 PM
The Royals' slow start confuses the hell out of me. I had them picked to win the Central and they are playing nothing like last year. Weird.

OilCan
05-10-04, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by MaineSoxFan


I did mean once it bounced into the corner, after it rolled away he took his time getting to it. I bet Pokey would have had to stop at 3rd if he had been hustling, that was a close play at the plate.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I agree.

Doc's Private Stash
05-10-04, 12:32 PM
Yeah, honestly their line up should be enough to carry them into contention in that God-awful division. While their pitching is still horrible, which team in the Central DOESN'T have horrible pitching? They have a very solid line up in Berroa, Beltran (obviously), Juan-Gone, Sweeney, Harvey, Randa...and yes, even the dreaded Matt Stairs...that should be able to slug its way into a lot of games. Again, despite the fact that they're off to this terrible 9-20 start, they're still only 7.5 games out somehow. Plenty of baseball left, I'm sure they'll start playing better ball in the coming months.

bobby jr
05-10-04, 12:42 PM
To look at the big picture, these horrendous teams which lose well over 100 game illustrate how badly baseball needs a salary cap or total revenue sharing to even things out between the "haves" and "have nots".

Yankees Empire
05-10-04, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by bobby jr
To look at the big picture, these horrendous teams which lose well over 100 game illustrate how badly baseball needs a salary cap or total revenue sharing to even things out between the "haves" and "have nots".

I couldn't agree more. The evil free-spending ways of teams like the Orioles must stop!!

BruceCampbellKG7
05-10-04, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Yankees Empire


I couldn't agree more. The evil free-spending ways of teams like the Orioles must stop!!

hahahaha :lol:

nahzo
05-10-04, 09:43 PM
The 2004 Royals suck, but the 2003 Tigers were probably worse. They were a vortex of suck in the AL last year.

BroadwayBomber55
05-11-04, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by BruceCampbellKG7
Of course the Royals are losing to the Red Sox already, and there's no way they'll come back and win. I have seen absolutely nothing from this team except terrible pitching a bunch of crusty veterans (Gonzalez, Santiago, Stairs, even Sweeny)...i wonder if this team will honestly set the record for losses in a season, or at lesat be worse than the 2003 Tigers..i think it's possible, seeing as their best player, Beltran, probably wont last the season on that team, and they have absolutely no pitching at all...thoughts?

I agree. They have no pitching. If Mark Sweeney goes down with injuries and Carlos Beltran leaves, who do they have in their farm system to back up the losses of their positional players? Angel Berroa is also having a slow start.