PDA

View Full Version : Batting Order Theory

Rich
04-09-04, 02:28 AM
This article is by Steven Goldman of The Pinstiped Bible:

http://yesnetwork.com/team/index.cfm?cont_id=239478&page_type=wide

He deconstructs the myths with simple logical analysis that seems to be inexplicably elusive to so many so called "baseball people."

markp
04-09-04, 09:31 AM
As an aside, his saying that Matsui is 2/3 the hitter that Posada is takes only last season into account. I think we should let Hideki have another 800 PAs before we're certain that 800 OPS is his ceiling.

Jeter-Bernie-Arod-etc. is a much better line-up. Hopefully it stays that way.

AngelAstro
04-09-04, 09:48 AM
You just beat me to posting this article, Rich.

This was a great article. What makes it even greater is that I said mostly the same thing in the Optimal Lineup Construction thread. :)

Goldman is consistantly the best writer on anything Yankees, I enjoy is work immensely.

Big_E
04-09-04, 11:50 AM
I love this sidebar from the article:

With just four [now five] games played, the Yankees have established an important trend: they are undefeated in games not started by Mike Mussina. If the team holds to this pattern, a spectacular 127-35 record will be the result. Stay tuned!

bagger015
04-11-04, 02:34 AM
Tony Womack, St. Louis Cardinals: Leading off Womack is the baseball equivalent of putting your grandmother in her wheelchair and then pushing her down the stairs. Womack is fast, but you can't steal first base. Take any league average hitter, drop an anvil in his pants, and station him at the top of the Cardinals' batting order. The team will score more runs than they would with Womack up there. This is a simply inexcusable display of incompetence by Tony LaRussa.

LMAO

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JeffWeaverFan
04-12-04, 04:43 PM
Thanks for this article, I was actually just having an argument with a friend about hitting the guys with higher OBP's in the beginning of the order (Jeter and Bernie) instead of hitting the speedy guys in the beginning of the order (Lofton and Jeter).

NYYFAN
04-12-04, 10:57 PM
If you really think about it, why dont they just have the best hitters up first and work your way down. Don't you want your best hitters to get the most AB's?

Lets say:

Arod
Sheff
Giambi
Jeter
Posada
Matsui
Bernie
Bubba
Wilson

Weird but you wonder how it would play out??

Rich
04-12-04, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by NYYFAN
If you really think about it, why dont they just have the best hitters up first and work your way down. Don't you want your best hitters to get the most AB's?

Lets say:

Arod
Sheff
Giambi
Jeter
Posada
Matsui
Bernie
Bubba
Wilson

Weird but you wonder how it would play out??

It would make some sense with a team like the Yankees, who have an almost circular lineup that is loaded with high OBP hitters, but it is preferable to have hitters with the highest SLG in the middle of the order.

NYYFAN
04-13-04, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Rich

It would make some sense with a team like the Yankees, who have an almost circular lineup that is loaded with high OBP hitters, but it is preferable to have hitters with the highest SLG in the middle of the order.

But doesn't having players with the highest SLG in the middle work just for the first inning and then its a crap shoot...

markp
04-13-04, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by NYYFAN

But doesn't having players with the highest SLG in the middle work just for the first inning and then its a crap shoot...

If you put high SLG guys behind high OBA guys, they'll be behind them throughout the game.