PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Baseball Announcers (all-time)

nyyfanatic85
04-08-04, 10:44 AM
Mike Shannon is great to listen to. Some of my other favorites are Hughes/Santo (Cubs), John Rooney, Vin Scully, and Charlie Steiner.

penfold
04-08-04, 10:50 AM
As a Yankee fan, you gotta love Rizzuto. His comments were pure poetry! And if you don't believe me, search Amazon to find that book of "poetry" that came straight from his game broadcasts!

nyyfanatic85
04-08-04, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by penfold
As a Yankee fan, you gotta love Rizzuto. His comments were pure poetry! And if you don't believe me, search Amazon to find that book of "poetry" that came straight from his game broadcasts!

I've never had the chance to listen to him

Espinosa's Glasses
04-08-04, 10:55 AM
Harry Kalas... :lol: ... III'd liiiike to wish a happy birthday to Betty in Conshohocken sheee's niiiiinety niiiiiiine today!

:lol: he's boring but he cracks me up

Evil Empire
04-08-04, 11:47 AM
Mel Allen, Phil Rizzuto, John Sterling and Harry Carry

Winfield31
04-08-04, 11:52 AM

I love Rizzuto...but some credit has to go to Bill White too...they played off of each other incredibly well. I really miss hearing the two of them every time Im forced to listen to Kay. I wish they could bring Rizzuto back for even just ONE game. :)

SubwayFanatic
04-08-04, 12:05 PM
Why no love for Ernie Harwell?

BroadwayBomber55
04-08-04, 04:33 PM
Ernie Harwell for his memorable last game as the voice of the Detroit Tigers.

Vin Scully for his memorable calls including "3 and 2 to Mookie Wilson..." you know the rest.

Phil Rizzuto, Mel Allen, John Sterling, Harry Caray, Harry Kalas

Jersey Yankee
04-08-04, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by SubwayFanatic
Why no love for Ernie Harwell? He and Scooter are tied. I wish I'd heard Joe Buck, since I heard he was great also. Since team announcers weren't excluded, I'd add Bob Sheppard.

Yankee Cowboy
04-08-04, 07:44 PM
The Scooter

:NY: :NY:

JDPNYY
04-08-04, 07:54 PM

One of the GREATEST books EVER written.

It's called Oh Holy Cow! The Selected Verse of Phil Rizzuto edited by Tom Peyer & Hart Seely.

I have the book and very often reread it. If you are a Yankee Fan during the time Phil was on the air, you'll remember just about every passage in the book. It is a Masterpiece.

Phil is by far my all time favorite announcer. When you added Bill White to the mix... it was pure magic.

Dooley Womack
04-08-04, 08:12 PM
Ralph Kiner and Tim McCarver were a good team in the Mets heyday in the late 80's. This was before McCarver became full of himself and prior to him making his comments more important than the game.

Back in the day, Tim brought the best out in Ralph and it was the first time I ever heard such a good mix of analysis and interesting conversation.

When the Yanks hired him I was thrilled. But unfortunately, the Yanks got the annoying version of Tim.

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
04-08-04, 08:42 PM
Good ol' Vin Scully.

Probably my favorite famous quote of his:
"In a year that has been so improbable, the impossible has happened."
-after Gibby's Game 1 homer in '88

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/quotes/vin_scully_quotes.shtml

I've never seen anything but brief clips of the Sandy Koufax perfect game in '65. I just found that link, and I scrolled down and read the transcript of Vinny's call of the 9th inning of that game, and I could see exactly what happened, even though I've never fully, really seen it visually before. And what's remarkable, is that he does the exact same thing over a hundred times a year, every game he calls.

I wonder how he'd call a football game. If there's anyone besides Lynn Swann who could put poetry in motion in a football game, it'd have to be him.

Bluesexy's daddy
04-08-04, 08:58 PM
Scooter.

Gehrig
04-08-04, 09:00 PM
Not in any particular order...

Phil Rizzuto
Bill White (deep to left, Yastrzemski will not get it, it's a home run!!)
Frank Messer
Tony Kubek
Jim Kaat
Bobby Murcer
Ken Singleton
John Sterling

YanksRockMan
04-08-04, 09:18 PM
Harry Kalas, Richie Ashburn, Harry Carry, Andy Musser, and Ernie Hartwell..definites

incarnadine
04-08-04, 09:33 PM
I'm a young guy, so I haven't heard many different announcers.

Sterling and Steiner are like part of the landscape of summer for me.

Also, despite what I know a lot of people think of him, I think Joe Buck does a good job. He keeps his words to a minimum.

Gringaloca
04-08-04, 10:08 PM
I listened to Ernie Harwell & George Kell as a kid in Detroit. Even after Kell retired from broadcasting, Ernie kept at it for another 20+ years with a variety of co-commentators, including Al Kaline for few years.

Listened to Scooter & White after moving to Florida in the late 70's on WPIX...they were quite the pair...:)

Monkeyman
04-08-04, 11:26 PM
I'll tell you who its not. Joe Buck and Tim McCarver. What a couple of wastes of life they are. I don't know why everyone kisses their asses all the time. They make the playoffs unpleasant.

Dave in MD
04-08-04, 11:35 PM
Bill White and Frank Messer were great announcers and they were great with the scooter. I learned a lot of baseball from those guys and they knew the game was the story, not them.

nyyfanatic85
04-09-04, 01:08 AM
Jack Buck was great too. Unfortunataly he passed away but he was the voice of summer if you were a Cardinals fan.

NYYFAN
04-09-04, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Winfield31

I love Rizzuto...but some credit has to go to Bill White too...they played off of each other incredibly well. I really miss hearing the two of them every time Im forced to listen to Kay. I wish they could bring Rizzuto back for even just ONE game. :)

I agree 100%...Phil is probably the most beloved Yankee and the Yankee who loves the team more than any other player...

Bill White was a gem also with Frank Messer excellent also rest his soul...

Yankee Cowboy
04-10-04, 05:15 PM
Hello there everybody....

Mel Allen

JDPNYY
04-10-04, 06:35 PM
Buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0880015330/qid=1081640028/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4_xs_stripbooks_i4_xgl14/102-5416061-8656936?v=glance&s=books

In fact, buy it through the Link for Amazon below & get a great book and help this Web Site out.

TyWebb
04-10-04, 06:54 PM
I grew up with The Scooter & Bill White. They are my all-time fave's. So many great child-hood memories. Sterling/Kay in the late 90's are some more great memories.

Seth
04-10-04, 08:09 PM
My favorite announcers are Bill White and Phil Rizzuto. One of my favorite bits was on the Yankeeography of Phil Rizzuto. As they go on the air, Phil Rizzuto, who never metioned Bill White by his first name, starts the broadcast by saying "I'm Bill White" and you can see Bill White in the background laughing hysterically.

nufced1918
04-10-04, 09:47 PM
Best radio team of all time
Ned Martin and Jim Woods
nuf ced

Nome
04-11-04, 09:25 AM
Mel Allen
Kurt Gowdy
Dizzy Dean
Bob Ellison (Chicago White Sox)
Scooter/White - They go together
Jerry Coleman

Andy

DonZimmerRules
04-11-04, 11:42 AM
When I was a kid in the 70s, I just loved on Saturday afternoon watching the Game of the Week with Curt Gowdy and Tony Kubec

penfold
04-11-04, 01:47 PM
IMHO, the worst was transitioning from the team's regular announcers to the network's "World Series Team." I loathed Joe Garagiola as a kid mostly because he wasn't Rizzuto or White. It seemed that he had nothing memorable to say and he took way too long to say it.

oyvey
04-11-04, 06:02 PM
Bob Murphy. Hall of famer.

Nettles dfw
04-11-04, 06:35 PM
Favorite: Scooter and "White"

Favorite Non Yankee: Vin Scully

Honorable Mention: Harry Carry

Nettles dfw
04-11-04, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by oyvey
Bob Murphy. Hall of famer. Respectfully disagree. As much as I hate the Mets, I actually like their current radio guy (is it Gary Cohen?). I never did like Murph, I would actually take Kiner easily over him.

samsonsimpson007
04-12-04, 11:08 AM
Bob Uecker, c'mon guys, he made Major League Baseball the classic that it is, and also i have spent many a day listening Mel Allen, nothin better than Mel

Bob Shephard's voice should immortalized in a computer or something so he can live on forever as an automated announcer and ppossibly broadcaster.

Steiner is like the rest of the ESPN bretherin, nothing to add and rolling hay seeds. In reality he belongs with Michael Kay, while WCBS pulls a Vin Scully and gives Sterling the job as a solo artist

Sixty one
04-12-04, 04:28 PM
Mel Allen "It's going, going it is gone a three run Ballantine blast". He was the true Voice of the Yankees.

Rizzuto and White were also great to listen to and a pleasure for a long time with the Yanks.

Curt Gowdy and Tony Kubek were a great duo on the game of the week.

Joe Garagiola was also funny and informative.

Vin Scully a giant in the broadcasting industry going back to the 1950's with the Dodgers is also great.

Ernie Harwell who recently retired was also a real pro.

Babe Rules
04-12-04, 07:22 PM
Rizzuto

DonZimmerRules
04-12-04, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by samsonsimpson007
Bob Uecker, c'mon guys, he made Major League Baseball the classic that it is, and also i have spent many a day listening Mel Allen, nothin better than Mel

Bob Shephard's voice should immortalized in a computer or something so he can live on forever as an automated announcer and ppossibly broadcaster.

Both excellent points!

BruceCampbellKG7
04-12-04, 09:58 PM
Bob Eucker (Juuuuuuuuuuust a bit outside....)

and of course, the one, the only, the best:

"Yankees win...theeeeeeeeeeeeee Yankees win!" - John Sterling

miko
04-13-04, 12:16 AM
In no particular order. I must apologize that there are no Yankee announcers listed here but I do not receive any Yankee telecasts unless they are broadcast on TSN, FOX, WPIX, WGN, TBS or KTLA. I gotta get YES.

Harry Carry
Vin Skully
Bob Eucker
Joe Garagiola
Bill Murray did an inning of the Cub game today and he was hilarious.

You will never ever see Joe Morgan's name appear anywhere near this list. He could not wipe the arses of any of these guys (even Bill Murray). :lol:

nyyfanatic85
04-13-04, 12:19 AM
Jon Miller anyone?

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
04-13-04, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by nyyfanatic85
Jon Miller anyone?

:lol: He's a riot sometimes, but no. Every time he and Joe Morgan get together, I forget there's even a game going on in the background, since that's what they make the game--the background.

miko
04-13-04, 01:16 AM
I am always stuck at work listening to the posteseason on ESPN radio and I must say that I really don't like the way Miller and Morgan cover games. They are supposed to be unbiased and cover both teams equally. Unfortunatley these Yankee haters cannot keep their opinions to themselves and it makes for a very unenjoyable 3 to 4 hours..

RhodyYanksFan
04-13-04, 07:03 PM
If i could vote for Harry Doyle i would.

DonZimmerRules
04-13-04, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by RhodyYanksFan

:lol: :lol: :lol:

C. Bellinger
04-20-04, 02:29 PM
Here's a rundown on the ex (or current) PLAYERS that I've heard turn to announcing:

Tony Gwynn--Tony is an ultra nice guy whose voice is not quite the best for announcing. Very nice and professional.
Orel Hershiser--I'd like to see Bulldog do some pro announcing; I heard him do some Little League games, and the man is very pleasant and funny. Too bad he had to be paired with Brent Musberger.
Darrin Jackson--Anyone remember DJ? Actually a pretty good announcer with a very silky voice.
David Justice--Justice has a very good announcing voice, and while sometimes he says bizarro things (Giambi for MVP?), he's pretty good, needs to be around a strong play-by-play man
Mike Krukow--Granted, I've only heard him on MVP Baseball, but his humor gets tiresome after a while, and he seems to be very mean to my computer players.
Al Leiter--I liked him! Could be a very good announcer after he retires! A little nervous at first, but said some intelligent things and was honest without being preachy.
Steve Lyons--complete and total moron. At the very least doesn't talk too much.
Tim McCarver--very intelligent and has actually written some fine books. I think Joe Buck brings out the worst in him. Is fine in small doses, but goes off on disastrous tangents.
Joe Morgan--rarely has anything interesting to say, but is a professional, if a little full of himself at times.
Jack Morris--has a goofy Midwestern style of humor, ultra laidback announcer that is fun to listen to
Dan Petry--very straightforward color guy, kind of blunt, reminds me of how he pitched
Harold Reynolds--incredibly full of crap, but harmless
Steve Stone--I know he's a WGN guy, but he's too homery for my tastes, and his voice has the odd twang that makes it sound like he's doing a Peter Graves impression
Rick Sutcliffe--very very full of himself, but harmless

Howard Spira
04-20-04, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by C. Bellinger
Here's a rundown on the ex (or current) PLAYERS that I've heard turn to announcing:

Tony Gwynn--Tony is an ultra nice guy whose voice is not quite the best for announcing. Very nice and professional.
Orel Hershiser--I'd like to see Bulldog do some pro announcing; I heard him do some Little League games, and the man is very pleasant and funny. Too bad he had to be paired with Brent Musberger.
Darrin Jackson--Anyone remember DJ? Actually a pretty good announcer with a very silky voice.
David Justice--Justice has a very good announcing voice, and while sometimes he says bizarro things (Giambi for MVP?), he's pretty good, needs to be around a strong play-by-play man
Mike Krukow--Granted, I've only heard him on MVP Baseball, but his humor gets tiresome after a while, and he seems to be very mean to my computer players.
Al Leiter--I liked him! Could be a very good announcer after he retires! A little nervous at first, but said some intelligent things and was honest without being preachy.
Steve Lyons--complete and total moron. At the very least doesn't talk too much.
Tim McCarver--very intelligent and has actually written some fine books. I think Joe Buck brings out the worst in him. Is fine in small doses, but goes off on disastrous tangents.
Joe Morgan--rarely has anything interesting to say, but is a professional, if a little full of himself at times.
Jack Morris--has a goofy Midwestern style of humor, ultra laidback announcer that is fun to listen to
Dan Petry--very straightforward color guy, kind of blunt, reminds me of how he pitched
Harold Reynolds--incredibly full of crap, but harmless
Steve Stone--I know he's a WGN guy, but he's too homery for my tastes, and his voice has the odd twang that makes it sound like he's doing a Peter Graves impression
Rick Sutcliffe--very very full of himself, but harmless

good info here. Where did you hear Jack Morris? From what I understood of him as a player, his competetiveness didn't allow for him to have much of a sense of humor...maybe he's chilled out, or maybe my memory is just being selective...

OMGCurse
04-21-04, 07:23 AM
Bob Uecker because the man is a riot

Ernie Harwell because his voice just is "baseball"

and my all time favorite

Vin Scully because no one knows how to tell the story of a ballgame like this man

C. Bellinger
04-21-04, 08:30 AM
Jack used to do Tigers games (he was replaced by Dan Petry appropriately enough). He was pretty laidback and funny, but you do have a point about his competitiveness; he'd get kind of curt and give players (especially pitchers) tongue-lashings if things started going wrong. Not in a nasty sort of way, but I see it a little more clearly now after your post.

WCNYY
04-21-04, 09:34 AM
Rizzuto. I loved the Scooter pies addiction, "Every good shortstop needs to have a Canoli before each game" and "I'd like to wish a happy birthday to...... Holy Cow a Home Run for..."

yankeesfaninaz
04-21-04, 09:51 AM
John Sterling
Vin Scully
Harry Carey( Iistened to him the last couple of years before he died)
Bob Murphy
Joe Garagiola, I enjoy listening to him do part time work with Thom Brennaman here in AZ.

I was a little young when Rizzuto called games

Mark Grace is now in the diamondbacks tv booth most of the time with Thom Brennaman.

Joe Morgan, Chip and Skip Carey, Joe Buck and Tim McCarver drive me insane listening to them. Jon Miller-so so. The white sox announcers top it off "is that ball out of the park, yeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssss." how annoying is that.

One of the best announcing tandoms is Marty Brennaman and Joe Nuxall, the Reds radio announcers. Even though, I have never listened to them, ive heard good things.

I miss the days of John Sterling and Michael Kay. I rather see Steiner at ESPN again.

Bub
04-21-04, 09:58 AM
Rizutto. Lots of energy, and 10 stories each game having nothing to do with baseball. He and Bill White had some very tense moments; Bill didn't like going off on tangents and Rizutto hated White's smoking in the booth.

WIZ
04-21-04, 05:06 PM
1.)The Scooter

2.)Vin Scully

3.)Mel Allen

4.)Jon Miller

5.)John Sterling

6.)Ernie Harwell

7.)Jerry Coleman

LRYankee23
04-22-04, 12:31 PM
I really loved it when Rizzuto and White were together

anyoneseenthebridge
04-25-04, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Sixty one
Ernie Harwell who recently retired was also a real pro.

koko
04-26-04, 01:47 PM
I grew up with Scooter and White. Kay and Sterling also had a great combo going - as much as people don't like them individually.

From a non-Yankee standpoint, Bob Costas is the be all, end all, IMO.

MonsterSeats
04-26-04, 02:31 PM
In no particular order, Harry Caray, Jerry Remy, Jack Buck, Ernie Harwell, Vin Scully

steve1iron
04-26-04, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by nufced1918
Best radio team of all time
Ned Martin and Jim Woods
nuf ced

Amen. They were great together doing Red Sox games. It didn't last nearly long enough.

bobby jr
04-26-04, 08:30 PM
1. Harry Caray. When I started listening to Cardinals baseball in 1967 Harry taught me the game on the radio. Great announcer. It might be, it could be, it is! A homer run by Cepeda! Holy Cow!

2. Kurt Gowdy. A true professional. Heard him do an ESPN game last year for old times sake, and he still has it!

3. Jack Buck. He played 2nd fiddle to Harry for years but after Harry left St. Louis Jack found he could be number one.

penfold
04-26-04, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by koko
I grew up with Scooter and White. Kay and Sterling also had a great combo going - as much as people don't like them individually.

From a non-Yankee standpoint, Bob Costas is the be all, end all, IMO.

Oooh! I beg to differ on Costas. I loved him on Later, I think he's okay on HBO, but I couldn't stand him when he was broadcasting baseball games on NBC. He never seemed to add anything to the game and he couldn't stop talking.

It's amusing how nobody can agree on the national broadcasters... the local guys seem to be closest to our hearts. I guess that's the way it should be.

Wheat
04-28-04, 04:06 PM
Scully...the standard by which others should be judged.
Harwell
Costas

...a Dishonorable Mention for Sterling who just drives me nuts.

nyyfanatic85
04-28-04, 04:40 PM
For those of you that like Darrin Jackson, he's the guy that does the "You can put it on the board....YESSSSSSS!" call on FSN Chicago.

Damn, I can't believe I'm the only guy that likes Jon Miller:lol:

Thorn
04-28-04, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by RhodyYanksFan

heh i was gonna mention him..;)
the yanks should try and get Bob Eucker and bring back the Scooter :D