PDA

View Full Version : BP Pizza Feed

Dave in MD
04-01-04, 11:01 AM
There is a baseball prospectus pizza feed in Washington, DC tonight. Any other dc area folks planning to go? Should be a good night of baseball analysis.

WiffleWOOD
04-01-04, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Dave in MD
There is a baseball prospectus pizza feed in Washington, DC tonight. Any other dc area folks planning to go? Should be a good night of baseball analysis.

Dave, please report back to us how it was and what you guys talked about. I really wanted to go to the one in Manhattan a month or so ago, but couldn't make it.

Dave in MD
04-01-04, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by WiffleWOOD

Dave, please report back to us how it was and what you guys talked about. I really wanted to go to the one in Manhattan a month or so ago, but couldn't make it.

I will be sure to do so. I am really looking forward to it. There is one in Baltimore in a couple of weeks too.

WiffleWOOD
04-01-04, 01:17 PM

I will be sure to do so. I am really looking forward to it. There is one in Baltimore in a couple of weeks too.

the authors of the BP 2004 book have also been touring, but I couldn't make it to their talk in Brooklyn. I'm really jealous you're going to the feed tonight, they sound like fun.

Dave in MD
04-01-04, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by WiffleWOOD

the authors of the BP 2004 book have also been touring, but I couldn't make it to their talk in Brooklyn. I'm really jealous you're going to the feed tonight, they sound like fun.

My friend bailed out on me, but I'm going anyway. Talking baseball and eating pizza. Can't be much better than that.

Jim F.
04-01-04, 01:33 PM
My friend bailed out on me, but I'm going anyway. Talking baseball and eating pizza. Can't be much better than that. Well, is there gonna be beer there?

-jim

Dave in MD
04-01-04, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Jim F.
Well, is there gonna be beer there?

-jim

Its at Politics and Prose on Connecticut Avenue. I don't know if they serve beer there. Their will be free pizza. If they have an alcohol license, I think its more of a wine place.

Dave in MD
04-01-04, 10:59 PM
This was a very interesting night.

The two writers were Chris Karhl and Clay Davenport. Interesting factoid. Chris Karhl is either a transexual or transvestite (not that there's anything wrong with that) I couldn't tell which.

There was some good discussion, if not detailed.

I asked why the media lagged behind the stats on defensive evaluation, using Jeter as the example.

Chris said that the writers that cover the teams don't watch most of the time. They are busy eating and write their articles based on stat sheets fed to them by the team. Clay mentioned how the defensive metrics, while improving, are not yet perfect.

The other Yankee-related question was about why the A's can't win in the postseason and Yankees can and therefore the crapshoot argument doesn't hold so much water. Chris actually gave Torre a lot of credit for this. Chris said that Torre makes sure his best players are always playing when the game is on the line in the postseasona and doesn't give away precious time to bench warmers. Art Howe and Macha didn't learn that lesson. We discussed Jeter possibly moving to Center when Bernie moves on and she agreed with me on this.

There was a question about if anyone working in baseball still doesn't value obp. There still are. There was a question about Dusty Baker and pitch counts. Evidently, this is not just a Chicago thing, by Dusty managed that way in SF.

Clay said there is some research going on to quantify the weight of more stressful pitches v pure pitch counts.

Chris said that the unseen overworking of pitchers does more damage-high school and college overuse.

There was some talk about too many teams carrying 11 pitchers and that being a waste of resources because of teams foolishly carrying an extra lefty to get that matchup once in a while. This was blamed on Larussa and Whitey Herzog. That's all I remember for now.

Then we just all hung around and talked about players we liked when we were growing up. It was a fun time.

YankeePride1967
04-01-04, 11:11 PM
There's another manager that doesn't really value stats and he writes about it in the new SI. Jack McKeon. SI does also list Baker and also Ron Gardenhire as others.

Dave in MD
04-01-04, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by GoRocket
There's another manager that doesn't really value stats and he writes about it in the new SI. Jack McKeon. SI does also list Baker and also Ron Gardenhire as others.

McKeon was mentioned. Chris said that guys like him may not study stats, but still have a plan. And those instincts can get similar results. I need to pick up that SI. It was mentioned tonight.

AngelAstro
04-02-04, 01:21 AM
Thanks for the recap Dave, I'll have to try to catch the next feed in the NYC area.

Repoz
04-02-04, 07:51 PM
I've been to a couple of Pizza/Book Feeds....

A year or so ago we ( Baseball Primer ) ran one in conjuncture with Retrosheet and some B.Pro guys in NYC....very informative.

Last month, top YES man Steven Goldman had one with the help of B Pro....great time with a clog of NY bloggers bouncing off ideas around limitless hardened pizza.