PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to the Rutgers Men's Basketball Team

Nome
03-31-04, 09:02 AM
They made it to the NIT Final. Granted, it isn't the NCAA's but it is still an important tourney.

Go Rutgers.

Andy

Sixty one
03-31-04, 09:44 AM
Even though I am a big Seton Hall fan, I have to admit that Rutgers will be a force in big time college basketball in the near future. They only need a quality point guard and perhaps another good big man, and I think that they'll be one of the elite teams in the Big East next year. Winning the NIT this year could give them those big name recruits!

Nome
03-31-04, 11:41 AM
Al, do you remember the great SH teams of the mid 50's? Of course you do. Richey Regan, Wally Dukes, Cooper and (was there a) Harry Brooks (on the team?).

How's your memory? Do you remember some of the players from the Dukes/Regan era?

Andy

Sixty one
03-31-04, 09:20 PM
I was a freshman at the Hall in 1957. Unfortunately, it was just after the Regan/Dukes era. However, while I was there there were some good players like Art Hicks, and Hank Gunther who became involved in the point shaving scandal of 1961 and set back SH basketball for a decade. I also knew some great guys on that team like Al Senevitis and Billy Brooks who were solid players. I graduated in 1961 when they had a pretty good team with Nick "the Quick" Werkman who led the nation in scoring one year. I've been addicted to SH basketball ever since those days. I attend games occasionally...saw them lose to Villanova at the Garden a few weeks ago at the buzzer in a Big East tournament game and hated to see them lose so badly to Duke in the NCCA's! Duke reminds me of the Yanks. Every year they get more than enough blue chip players to replace the ones that leave and they just keep on winning!

Nome
04-01-04, 08:21 AM
Damn Al, we were close neighbors even then. I was born in Newark, grew up in Union and attended Newark College of Engineering from 1956 -1960. I moved out here to Somerville area in 1963.

I wish I could get a roster of those SH players from the 1951- 1954 seasons.

Take care.

Andy