PDA

View Full Version : Important draft information - please read

Saxmania
03-10-04, 02:26 PM
Hello.

Obviously you're all beside yourselves with anticipation as the draft time approaches (under 7 hours now). I thought I'd take this opportunity to lay out a couple of rules and reminders, and maybe a little advice.

1) Please DO NOT MAKE ANY ROSTER MOVES FOR AT LEAST 24 HOURS AFTER THE DRAFT. This allows me to make any corrections to rosters caused by problems during the draft (for instance, with keeper picks). I've been promised by Sportsline that I can manually make those picks, but I just don't trust anyone all that much. If you can keep your grubby little fingers off your roster (especially signing free agents) until Friday, we can have insurance against anything going wrong. See, I can plan ahead.

2) It would be a huge help if you could check that you've pre-ranked everyone else's keepers below pick 500. Hopefully most people have already done this, but I thought it was worth a reminder. It would also help a great deal if you could rank your own keeper pick around about the point at which you should draft him.

3) Relax, have fun, etc., etc.

I also thought that for the first-timers a couple of points of advice might be in order:

- Don't panic. It's a long draft, and one bad pick here or there won't capsize your season. If you don't get the roster you wanted (and you won't, because there are 20 teams here), then remember that many of the best players last year were picked up off the free agents list. Good managing will be more powerful than bad drafting.

- If you're using a fantasy baseball guide from a magazine or site, remember that a lot of fantasy leagues overvalue steals, saves, and other categories, while undervaluing walks, holds, IP, and fielding. Our points scheme is designed to reflect "real-life" value, whereas most fantasy owners play 'Roto', where steals become almost as valuable as homers, and holds don't feature. This means that fantasy rankings will probably overrate players like Juan Pierre, who steal a lot of bases, and underrate players like Tom Gordon, who will probably rack up holds but few saves. In our game, relievers are nearly as valuable as closers, and pitchers who eat innings are very valuable indeed.

- Think about position scarcity. An outfielder who outhits a 2nd baseman is less valuable if that 2nd baseman is one of a kind, while the outfielder is ten a penny. Early in the draft, grab the best player you can regardless of position - you can always trade them before Opening Day for what you need. During the middle of the draft, look for bargains or high-risk, high-gain veterans who could make the difference. And late in the draft, look to fill holes in your roster with youth and breakout prospects.

- If in doubt late in the draft, go with youth. Young players are more likely to have breakout seasons and thus become very valuable keeper picks, and good young players are worth a lot in the trade market. Teams in contention will trade good young players for great old players in an attempt to "win it all", while rebuilding teams will stock up on young, low-round players to get some great keeper picks next year. Youth = value.

That's it; advice from a founding member who's never made the playoffs. Very valuable, I'm sure you'll agree. Go forth and have fun.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

SanFrANSKY
03-10-04, 02:29 PM
Thanks Sax.

So was that newbie keeper issue resolved? Do I have more guys I need to bury in my prerank?

Saxmania
03-10-04, 02:32 PM
No, we're giving them privileged position in the minor-league draft instead. They weren't particularly happy about it, but that was my decision. The keepers stand.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

miko
03-10-04, 03:12 PM
It was way too late to open that can of worms anyways and I am surprised as hell that it actually went as far as it did. Thanks to all the owners for putting up with all the bitching and whining over the last week and good luck tonight.