PDA

View Full Version : Smoltz out for 2000 season!

KayForPresident
03-08-00, 03:47 PM
He tore the MCL in his right elbow. Man...this opens the door just a little bit wider for The Mets. If they (The Mets) don't self-destruct, we may see the end of the Braves' reign over the NL East.

Should be interesting...definitely pushes a Subway Series just a little closer.

------------------
See Ya!

Goto Dinologic.com (http://www.dinologic.com)

Bluesexy's daddy
03-08-00, 05:02 PM
That was big news KFP.

This makes the Rocker saga more significant for the braves. Smoltz ate a lot of innings for them in 99. Will his replacement eat as many innings or will more innings fall on the bull pens shoulders? I suspect the later.

We still might consider that Atlanta has the strongest rotation in the NL without Smoltz (Maddux, Millwood, Glavine and whoever). The Braves also have Javier Lopez and Andres Galarraga back this year.

The Mets have Valentine as a manager. To me thats a reall disadvantage for them.

If the YANKEES lost one of their four best starters I would'nt be happy but I would still pick them to finish first.

I agree that it is "good news" from the perspective of a mets fan but I still think that Atlanta will take the division.

KFP, I am going to start a thread under "other teams" about this if somebady hasn't already. Iwas going to do it this morning but I had to do some real work in my office and got interupted (I hate when that happens). I hope you don't feel like I'm "poaching" your topic.

------------------
If you don't like the YANKEES go to another sight.

KayForPresident
03-08-00, 05:08 PM
Not at all BD...I would have done the same if I were more familiar with the different boards here. In fact, I wondered why it wasn't already posted.
http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I totally agree with ya 'bout Valentine...he's a timebomb. I said this somewhere else, but the Mets' biggest enemy is The Mets. I would really love to see the Mets and Braves have it out this year. Same way I'd like to see the Sox give the Yanks a good run...maybe Detroit or Chicago make a little noise in the AL Central. Pennant Fever Baby!!! The West is up for grabs!

------------------
See Ya!

WindRavenX
03-08-00, 05:16 PM
this is damn disapointing. Why didnt rocker get his?
but yea, if Bobby can somehow get his act together, I wouldnt be suprised if its a very interesing penant race for the Muts. The Mets might be a good team for the Yanks to beat, we've played with Atlanta twice, now bring on fresh meat! http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
Only This and Nothing more
Nameless here for evermore
This it is and nothing more
Darkness there and nothing more
Merely This and Nothing more
'Tis the Wind and nothing more!

Rydog1
03-08-00, 05:38 PM
Why is everyone ranting about this so called "open door" for the Mets? What about the Phillies? I think they've got a much stronger rotation than the Mets and their hitting ain't too bad either!
GO YANKS

------------------

kgblues
03-08-00, 06:40 PM
Bobby Valentine was just admitted into the hospital. They can't get the smile off his face.

------------------
kg

meggieNY
03-08-00, 07:24 PM
Good one kg...now you can't get the smile off my face!

------------------

Ambassador of Goodwill
of The Ansky39 Fan Club

bernabee51
03-08-00, 08:03 PM
what about Cinci.? They were a strong team last year and have only gotten stronger. Smoltz is a class act, its too bad to hear about this especially since he has worked so hard to come back after previous injuries-I want the Yanks to win just as bad as anyone, but not by default. How have the Mets been doing so far in ST? Is Zeile as good as Olerud?

------------------

seahorse
03-08-00, 08:23 PM
Good one KG. Let me try some of this paint remover...

------------------
A39FC
Best GoYanks!

KayForPresident
03-09-00, 09:59 AM
Yo Rydog, you're right. I was going to point to the Phils to step it up also. I only mentioned the Mets because they're "closer to home."

With guys like Glanville, Abreu, Rolen, Brogna, and Lieberthal, they'll score runs. Pitching? A lot rides on Schilling's shoulder (no pun intended - he had shoulder surgery). If he comes back to form in time to keep Andy Ashby fresh, and they both put up 15-18 wins, sure they'll contend...but that's alotta if's. Remember, closer Mike Jackson, who has proven effective in recent years, is 36 (37?)...he failed a physical when the Injuns tried to trade him to St. Louis...making him questionable too.

I don't think the Braves will hurt too badly over the loss of Smoltz anyway. He is a class-act though and a team leader...qualities that are sometimes more important than baseball talent...but they won without him for the majority of last year. Hell, Maddux, Glavine, and Millwood make a pretty damn good top 3!!!

Smoltz will be back though...you can count on that. In fact, he's having Tommy John surgery which, in most cases, actually makes pitchers BETTER than they were before the operation.

------------------
See Ya!

Bluesexy's daddy
03-09-00, 01:46 PM
You are probably right about Smoltz coming back. He is a pretty good athlete and while I hate to give credit to anyone that works for Ted turnip but Smoltz is a great pitcher.

------------------
If you don't like the YANKEES go to another sight.

bronx keed
03-10-00, 04:45 PM
as posted elsewhere, I'm sorry john, I thought I had the rocker voo doo doll out...

------------------

XZavirer
03-11-00, 08:58 PM
I hope Smoltz gets back at some point. He proved to be a class guy, saying the right things after last year's World Series.

------------------

OklaYankeeFan
03-18-00, 01:00 AM
bernabee51--I personally do not think Zeile is as good as Olerud. I think the Mets lost bigtime when they lost Olerud. My own humble opinion ranks Olerud as the 2nd best fielding firstbaseman in the majors--right behind Tino. He had a good bat too!

------------------

Butnud
03-26-00, 06:52 PM
Go Mets.
Here is your chance to get to the WS and try to beat the Yanks. It will be a good season for them. But Yanks, here number 26 comes for ya. I can feel it.....

------------------
Today. I consider myself the luckiest man on the face the Earth. -Lou Gehrig-

Ansky39
03-26-00, 10:17 PM
smoltz, is the only brave I kinda liked... sorry to hear it http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/frown.gif he's a good guy...

re open doors, I dunno, braves have more arms than russia.

------------------
a39/55, bthgaPrez, shotgun's partner in crime & orangema's favorite son...

26 in 2000

God, I LOVE baseball...