PDA

View Full Version : Zeile bashes the Bronx

DaPip1998
01-28-04, 06:59 PM
Excerpts:

As for Zeile, the infielder finalized his $1 million, one-year contract with the New York Mets on Wednesday. He said he wouldn't have spoken to the Yankees even if he had known an opening would develop at third base.

"I have no desire to play again for that organization," Zeile said during a telephone conference call Wednesday."

"I think some of the things that happen over there are different than any other organization in baseball. I have a pretty good track record to judge that," Zeile said, citing his numerous stops across the majors.

"Every day is potentially the end-all," he said. "It's whatever they need that day. It sometimes can be unsettling for people in role positions there. ... I don't really have a desire to get back into that mix."

I'm just surprised he didn't mention the lack of love he got on this MB!

rightfielder21
01-28-04, 07:05 PM
and we bash Zeile for sucking... it's a give-take relationship we have...

chanman7483
01-28-04, 07:13 PM
i'm glad that zeile feels this way about the yanks

at least it's mutual. he wouldn't have been platooned if he actually hit the ball

penfold
01-28-04, 07:14 PM
He sounds like all the other part-time players the Yanks have had since Torre's reign began (Shane Spencer, Bubba Trammell?). I don't even see how this is news. I mean, I appreciate your posting this, but why did the reporter even bother?

jojos_2
01-28-04, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by rightfielder21
and we bash Zeile for sucking... it's a give-take relationship we have...

Exactly. :lol:

I could care less what Todd "POD" Zeile has to say. He's just upset the Yankees didn't keep him. I'm glad he never wants to return to the Yankees, b/c no one wants him to! :D

ring403
01-28-04, 07:18 PM
Todd is apparently still laboring under the delusion that he is good enough to play for the Yankees.

nyyfanatic85
01-28-04, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by ring403
Todd is apparently still laboring under the delusion that he is good enough to play for the Yankees.

Of course. He is by far the worst player in Yankee history who's last name began with a "Z."

rlsuth
01-28-04, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by ring403

Apparently, the Mets are under the illusion that he is good enough to play for a last placed team too. :D

nyyfanatic85
01-28-04, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by rlsuth

Apparently, the Mets are under the illusion that he is good enough to play for a last placed team too. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't forget, they were interested in Shane Spencer too.:lol:

hardrain
01-28-04, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by nyyfanatic85

Of course. He is by far the worst player in Yankee history who's last name began with a "Z."

You just made Paul Zuvella happy!

NJOBP36
01-28-04, 07:43 PM

Spencer at least has some ability.

HoraceClarke
01-28-04, 07:46 PM
Sour grapes from a guy who failed miserably....pressure got to him I guess.

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
01-28-04, 08:14 PM
we don't want him back anyway. What was interesting, or sort of interesting, came at the bottom of that article from ESPN. The Yankees signed Darren Bragg to a minor league deal, he had been with the Yankees a couple of years ago, he's a nice 5th outfielder, good hustle, sort of Chad Curtis like, without the power and the right wing politics. They are also negotiating with Donovan Osbourne to come into camp. He was good with St. Louis years ago, tried to comeback with the Mets last year and flopped. So the spring invites are starting to trickle in.

Dave in MD
01-28-04, 08:34 PM
Zeile is a piece of crap. He should consider himself lucky he stuck around as long as he did.

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-28-04, 08:45 PM
A) Why do any of you care what Todd Zeile says?

B) Did you even bother to read what he said? He's right. George is an a-hole, the team does go ballistic and overreact to small things and make mountains out of mole hills. Since when did the truth hurt so much?

Rich
01-28-04, 08:49 PM
Hey Todd...:finger1:

Yanks21
01-28-04, 08:52 PM
The POD has spoken... :lol:

wexy
01-28-04, 09:01 PM
I don't think that any of us will be losing sleep tonight over Todd Zeile
(maybe when he was here we did)

markp
01-28-04, 09:13 PM
Joe Torre gave him about three times as many ABs as he should have had and he repays him with this? What a joke. The man is a toad.

ACPS
01-28-04, 09:16 PM
Appropriately enough, Todd's been banished to "the toilet", the ideal place for a puddle of diarrhea.

NelsonMuntz
01-28-04, 09:16 PM
Zeile is the Mr. Hankey of Major League Baseball. No matter how many times he gets flushed down the toilet, he always pops back up somewhere.

http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/images/315/315_hankey_flush.gif

Michaels07
01-28-04, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by jojos_2

Exactly. :lol:

I could care less what Todd "POD" Zeile has to say. He's just upset the Yankees didn't keep him. I'm glad he never wants to return to the Yankees, b/c no one wants him to! :D

You should inform Alex.

JDPNYY
01-28-04, 09:40 PM
Thank God he wouldn't talk to the Yankees. Geez all we'd need is Torre talking the Organization into giving him a second chance. He's playing for the right team now. A last place loser team.

I hope he plays every day & hits under .150.

penguin4
01-28-04, 09:42 PM
:link:

DaPip1998
01-28-04, 09:53 PM
I could've sworn I listed it.....must be the old age!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1721373

SODM
01-28-04, 10:15 PM
Insignificant comments from an insignificant player.
I kind of sympathize with his statements about it being tough for "role player" type guys on the Yanks.
There's hardly room for error.
But if he felt that way he should have just kept his mouth shut.
Its not the Yankees fault he had no impact at the plate while playing for them.

YankeePride1967
01-28-04, 10:44 PM
Here's what I think. Who the heck cares what this guy thinks? He stunk here, he's stunk just about anywhere except for the decent (at best) numbers he put up in Colorado, he got more time than he was entitled to last year and he's over in the other part of town where he can join that circus. Good riddance.

Carissa
01-28-04, 10:52 PM
F 'im http://deephousepage.com/smilies/chair1.gif

nyyfanatic85
01-28-04, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by JDPNYY

I hope he plays every day & hits under .150.

He will.

Looks like the Mets are going to have to find out the hard way.

RIyankee
01-28-04, 10:58 PM
We've lost Zimmer, Zeile, and Boone.

:uhh: There goes our chance to win the World Series!

:scared:

rlsuth
01-28-04, 11:04 PM
:drool:

Hitman23
01-29-04, 12:17 AM
"I have no desire to play again for that organization," Zeile said during a telephone conference call.
"Every day is potentially the end all," he said. "It's whatever they need that day. It sometimes can be unsettling for people in role positions there. ... I don't really have a desire to get back into that mix." http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7043630

:lol: quit your whining you had 186 more at bats then you should have.

bardos
01-29-04, 08:18 AM
a bad workman always blames his tools....

C-BUS CLIPPER
01-29-04, 08:38 AM
Zeile is just a cry baby......because he didnt get his playing time he was promised (because he SUCKED)

ojo
01-29-04, 08:49 AM
mel: you really wanna put zeile out there 'again!!!'

joe: hey i'm just trying to..

mel: the sox are breathing down our necks!

joe: stay true to my word...

wileedog
01-29-04, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Mxylsplk
B) Did you even bother to read what he said? He's right. George is an a-hole, the team does go ballistic and overreact to small things and make mountains out of mole hills. Since when did the truth hurt so much?

And yet we've been to the playoffs 7 of the last 8 years with 4 rings.

Guess we're doing something right.

nyyfanatic85
01-29-04, 08:54 AM
Joe: Comon Mel, you know he's got to extend his record he's got going on...you know, the one with the Z...

penguin4
01-29-04, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by wileedog

And yet we've been to the playoffs 7 of the last 8 years with 4 rings.

Guess we're doing something right.
I count 9 of 9. (Really 10, since we would've been there in '94.) Which year did we miss?:confused:

wileedog
01-29-04, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by penguin4

I count 9 of 9. (Really 10, since we would've been there in '94.) Which year did we miss?:confused:

Bah, I never was good at math.

97 was so disappointing I somehow counted it as not even making the post-season. My bad.

Need. More. Coffee.

Yankees Empire
01-29-04, 10:27 AM
Who cares what Todd Zeile said? He was an awful player while he was here and wouldn't be welcome back even if he wanted to play here.

The only thing better than him playing for the Mets would be him playing for the Red Sox!

CalYankeeFan
01-29-04, 10:28 AM
Guess he'd just rather play in a place where he can make his millions and not be held accountable....

nyyfanatic85
01-29-04, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by CalYankeeFan
Guess he'd just rather play in a place where he can make his millions and not be held accountable....

.....and hit .150 and be a utter waste of space on the roster.

Sixty one
01-29-04, 10:47 AM
I was surprised to read what he had to say about the yanks, because I thought he was good friends with Torre! I guess some of what he said has truth to it, but I have a feeling that Joe didn't appreciate it since it reflects on his managing!!:NY:

wileedog
01-29-04, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by DaPip1998
Excerpts:

"Every day is potentially the end-all," he said. "It's whatever they need that day. It sometimes can be unsettling for people in role positions there. ... I don't really have a desire to get back into that mix."

The real irony is that guys like Sheff and Brown get reputations as 'cancers' when they complain publically about the team not winning, or not getting commitment from thr front office to improve.

Zeile is known as a laid back, class clubhouse guy. But if you read into Zeile's comment here, he is essentially saying the organization tries too hard to win, gets too frantic when they don't, and he's not comfortable in that type of atmosphere.

And you wonder why this guy is switching teams for the 1,672nd time in his career? At least he'll fit in well with the Mets again.

Even forgetting the incredible gulf of talent between them, I'll take Sheff please.

PeteRFNY
01-29-04, 12:30 PM
Don't forget what Luis Polonia once said: "I don't understand those guys over there...all they care about is winning".

Duh.

Petezs

C-BUS CLIPPER
01-29-04, 12:33 PM

.....and hit .150 and be a utter waste of space on the roster.

Sounds like a perfect fit for the Muts!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Irabu's Son
01-29-04, 12:39 PM
Why are we even talking about this turd??

nyyfanatic85
01-29-04, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Irabu's Son

That's a good question. He sure as hell doesn't deserve a 3-page thread.

CalYankeeFan
01-29-04, 12:49 PM

That's a good question. He sure as hell doesn't deserve a 3-page thread.

It's only two...;)

Yanknut023
01-29-04, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by PeteRFNY
Don't forget what Luis Polonia once said: "I don't understand those guys over there...all they care about is winning".

Duh.

Petezs

I thought Ruben Sierra said that when the Yanks traded him for Cecil Fielder in 1996.

C-BUS CLIPPER
01-29-04, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Irabu's Son

Because its winter, and nothing is going on except our 3rd baseman cant play basketball worth $hit and this a$$-clown Zeile talking smack about the Yanks. Dont get me wrong, I agree.......HURRY BACK BASEBALL.

yeahimweird
01-29-04, 01:32 PM
Screw him. He stunk here, plain and simple.

That attitude makes him perfect for the Mets anyway...and that .150 batting average. :D

DaPip1998
01-29-04, 01:35 PM
I knew that starting this thread would be like waving red in front of a charging bull around here.....

Anyway, I kind of see Zeile's point. Being a role player for these Yankees is among the most stressful jobs in the sport. How many times did we hear Sterling/Kay sing Luis Sojo's praises for his ability to sit on the bench for 3 weeks in a row, then come in and get 3 hits in his 1 start?
The problem is that most role players do not have the mental toughness to survive in that environment. When Almonte had to fill in for Jeter, we were all screaming for his head by the end of his "tenure"-and that was just for a 2 month fill-in by a AAA player.
Sojo and Enrique Wilson have been able to deal with it pretty well-at least Zeile knows he couldn't. He didn't say anything too awful about the team, just that it is "different". I think we'd all agree with that!

C. Bellinger
01-29-04, 03:00 PM
Let's sign Zeile as a relief pitcher. He has a career 0.00 ERA.

35Knucklecurve
01-29-04, 03:16 PM
There's a reason Zeile has bounced around from team to team and
I think you've just about covered it all.

:lol:

Dooley Womack
01-29-04, 03:19 PM
A case of a player (Zeile) biting the hand that fed him (Torre) even when he couldn't hit a lick.

He should have been ashamed by his performance in pinstripes and kept his mouth shut.

YANKfan47
01-29-04, 03:37 PM
CalYankeeFan - I LOVE your quote about Pedro

i was wondering the same thing, hes gone! WHO CARES! but shane spencer is good! we lost a good player when we gave him up!

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-29-04, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by YANKfan47
but shane spencer is good! we lost a good player when we gave him up!
That's good comedy. :rolleyes:

Sixty one
01-29-04, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by PeteRFNY

Duh.

Petezs

I thought Ruben Sierra said that!!

mitch300
01-29-04, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Dooley Womack
A case of a player (Zeile) biting the hand that fed him (Torre) even when he couldn't hit a lick.

He should have been ashamed by his performance in pinstripes and kept his mouth shut.

Exactly, what a piece of ****!!!

ring403
01-29-04, 04:44 PM

The fact that Zeile thinks he was a victim of a rash overreaction by George when he was cut loose, is just pathetic. He was given way too many opportunities by his buddy Torre to prove himself worthy of a roster spot, and failed miserably.
After months of poor performance and whining, the front office finally had enough, and ordered him released.

George is legendary for "going ballistic and overreacting" for sure, but this is definitely not one of those instances. I only care about what Zeile says to the extent that he is blatantly mischaracterizing what happened, and badmouthing the Yankees for it.

Dooley Womack
01-29-04, 04:50 PM

I tried unscrambling your handle and thought I'd come up with Mr Met Sox, but there aren't enough vowels.

ACPS
01-29-04, 05:06 PM
Mr. Mxylsplk. Superman's arch-enemy. Trivial fact I know.

2JAY
01-29-04, 05:11 PM
Zeile was not successful here in the Bronx and he had a negative experience. I'm not surprised by what he said and it doesn't bother me in the least.

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-29-04, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by ACPS
Mr. Mxylsplk. Superman's arch-enemy. Trivial fact I know.
Yep. But unfortunately for the rest of the board, saying my name backwards won't make me go away. :evil:

Luvtino
01-29-04, 06:00 PM
I am just glad he's gone. Let him talk as much as he wants as long as he isn't on our team. :)

IRONHORSE4
01-30-04, 05:06 AM
He is just bitter the Yankees cut him!

wileedog
01-30-04, 09:17 AM

Yep. But unfortunately for the rest of the board, saying my name backwards won't make me go away. :evil:

And here I thought someone had just pulled all the vowels out of your keyboard the day you registered. Who knew?

;)

YANKfan47
01-30-04, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by IRONHORSE4
He is just bitter the Yankees cut him!

gettin cut by the yankees means that you are not a good team player and they dont think that you can do anything to help them out!

That is why they cut him! (i think it was a good decision)

derekjeter916
01-30-04, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by DaPip1998
"I have no desire to play again for that organization," Zeile said during a telephone conference call Wednesday."

Good, now he won't get his feelings hurt when the Yankees refuse to take him back. ;)

Bluesexy's daddy
01-30-04, 08:44 PM
I guess he doesn't interview with any more skill than he hits with.

rlsuth
01-30-04, 09:36 PM

and they got him!!!! Are the Mets trying to become a Yankee's minor league team?

PeteRFNY
01-30-04, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Sixty one
I thought Ruben Sierra said that!!

You are correct! Polonia said something along similar lines after his second tenure, but the Ruben quote is the one that stuck in my head.

Guess he learned the hard way that winning isn't such a bad thing, eh?

Petezs

Don Mack
01-31-04, 12:00 AM
Todd Zeile could barely hit .200 when he took up a roster spot on the Yankees. He is a piece of crap. The Mets like our garbage and are signing all our rejects: Zeile, Spencer, et al.

Their next big signing will be Juan Acevedo who will also say he never got a chance to show how great he really is with the Yankees.

penguin4
01-31-04, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Don Mack
Todd Zeile could barely hit .200 when he took up a roster spot on the Yankees. He is a piece of crap. The Mets like our garbage and are signing all our rejects: Zeile, Spencer, et al.

Zeile was a Mets "reject" before he came to the Yankees, too. I guess he's going home.;)

JonahFalconNYC
01-31-04, 01:41 AM
Zeile's just still mad Timo Perez didn't run out his double.