PDA

View Full Version : Adopt an NL team...

orangemom
03-20-00, 12:13 PM
I will adopt the Florida Marlins. We have one of their minor league teams here in Utica, thus I kind of follow them anyway. Great idea ansky.

------------------
President and founder of the Ansky39 fan club
I Haven't Lost My Mind, It's Backed Up On Disk Somewhere

yankeeg
03-20-00, 01:31 PM
Good topic A39!

There are 4 "old school" teams out there who are constantly chasing that elusive World Championship. 3 of them are in the AL (Bosux, Tribe, White Sox) and I'd never adopt them. The other is in the NL and that team is the Cubs.

Hopefully they'll have about 30 more wins than Sammy homers this year.

yanksgirl24
03-20-00, 01:35 PM
cool idea! to make my mom and my uncle happy, because i do enjoy being part of the family, i'll adopt the other ny team, the mets. it'll be easy cause i usually check their standings and scores too!

------------------
bthl's #1 fan
pres. of the bthl fan club

"We're a great team. Nothing can change that. Nothing can change greatness."

Kimmie
03-20-00, 03:14 PM
MAN! I better hurry up and pick a team! This is becoming very popular, and yankeeg, and YG24 stole two of the ones I would have picked! Thanks YG, I was leaning towards the METS! http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/frown.gif Well I suppose it is the Cardinals then <sigh> I travel to St.Louis every year, so I pick the Cards!

------------------
Vice President and Co-Founder
of The Ansky39 Fan Club!
Second in Command

Bluesexy's daddy
03-20-00, 05:50 PM
OK.......for the sake of academics I will slect the Arizona Diamond Backs.

They are not the most exciting team in baseball but I can hear them on the radio. I know there roster and capabilities pretty well so it won't be tough.

The imbecile that runs the "flagship of the YANKEES(1150AM)" ursups the YANKEES broadcast whenever the Dodgers are on. Sorry, NO WAY I can listen to the dodgers games. Vin Scully sounds like a girls nails on a black board ....OUCH!!!!. the other broadcatster Rick Monday sound like he is drunk all the time and can't get the marbles out of his mouth.

This will be the Dodgers AAA afiliate's last year in Alb because they were sold last week.
No big thing.

Yea, I'll go with the Diamond Backs.

I will see the Diamond Backs play in Arizona next weekend. I'll tell you guys what I see.

For starters I will say that they will likely take the N L west. San Francisco might give them a challenge. The Dodgers will still stink.

------------------
Q: What do you call a mets fan with a 70 IQ after he drinks a bottle of cheap whiskey??

A: A redsox fan.

yanksgirl24
03-20-00, 08:34 PM
sorry bthl, but as i said, i enjoy being part of the family!

------------------
bthl's #1 fan
pres. of the bthl fan club

"We're a great team. Nothing can change that. Nothing can change greatness."

Ansky39
03-20-00, 11:01 PM
Ok we’re all Yanks fans in here, and our LOVE for our PROUD, GREAT, TEAM is the common bond that brought us all here, and there’s NOTHING better in the whole entire universe, than just sitting back and chewin’ da fat about YANKEES BASEBALL, whether it’s the middle of December, March, July or October... But that being said, ya know what, word has it that thereare indeed “Other” Teams, in the universe, honest...

Anyways, since we do tend to get 150% wrapped up in every aspect of our own GREAT team every second of everyday, we just may be missing out on some good quality baseball from other parts of the universe... Hey ya never know... Someone, I forget who, posed the question earlier in the offseas, whether we consider ourselves baseball fans or yankees fans... I’ll admit, I was one of the proud, exclusively YANKEES BASEBALL fans... Yeah I take in a crappy O’s game
more often that I care to admit... But as God is my witness, my heart, soul, body & blood belongs 100% exclusively loyal to the New York Yankees forever... I am a Yankees fan, therefore I am...

I know, I know, get to the damn point already will ya ansky...

Ok, I’d like to suggest an experiment for anyone interested... It may be a little risky, but anytimeya get nervous just close your eyes, click ya heels 3 times and repeat after me, “I am a Yankees fan, therefore I am... I am a Yankees fan, therefore I am... I am a Yankees fan, therefore I am...” I
guarantee you’ll be ok w/in seconds...”

I ask anyone interested to adopt a National League Team for the 2000 season... No you don’t have to run out and buy their tees or attend their games... All I ask is you select a team in the NL to follow and support for one lousy season, and come back here to give us your take on their progress... There’s a lotta baseball out there and no man, not even Rob Neyer, can follow everything there is to follow about every team... I’m anxious to learn as much as I possibly can about everything, every player and every team there is associated with our precious National Pasttime... I hope you can help... Depending on feedback, we may need some way to track your
NL affiliation... I’ll take any suggestions...

I’ll get the ball rolling my officially declaring today, March 20, 2000 that I Ansky39, New York Yankees Fan for LIFE, (& death), do hereby adopt the Montreal Expos as my NL affiliate for the 2000...

“I am a Yankees fan, therefore I am... I am a Yankees fan, therefore I am... I am a Yankees fan, therefore I am...”

whew...

I will follow them and keep my fellow Bronx-Bombers.com posters informed on their progress throughout the 2000 Season and hopefully into the 2000 Postseason,(stranger things have happened...)

Later,

a39 bthgaPrez... & shotgun partner in crime...

26 in 2000

------------------

MAFIA
03-20-00, 11:16 PM
OK I adopt THE PHILLIES, great young players.
THEY are a couple of players away ofbeing big time contenders, they got some decent starting pitching, but they could use some pop in there bat. THERE catcher and rf are excellent, also at 3b they are solid same goes at 1b. A team which could be scary if they had a closer and a top notch no.2 to go w/schilling, they are the only NL team that I will watch at times, but I must add my whole focus are on THE YANKEES, it's really hard to follow on anyone else, i've been like that my whole life. BUT this is fun ANSKY, so I will pick THE PHILLIES to adopt.
------------------

[This message has been edited by MAFIA (edited March 20, 2000).]

Kimmie
03-20-00, 11:35 PM
I don't know whether to choose the Mets, Cardinals, or Cubs! Hmmm My boys like those three teams! Maybe I should go with the Dodgers..hmm I will get back to yeah! http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
of The Ansky39 Fan Club!
Second in Command

Ansky39
03-21-00, 06:38 AM
It's shaping up... Who says Yanks fans don't appreciate NL ball huh... anyways 13 teams down, 3 to go...

Bronx-Bombers.com National League Correspondents

NL East:
ATLANTA BRAVES
FLORIDA MARLINS -orangema
MONTREAL EXPOS -a39
NEW YORK METS –yanksgirl24
PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES -mafia

NL Central:
CHICAGO CUBS -yankeeg
CINCINNATI REDS -nyy15
HOUSTON ASTROS -bxny
MILWAUKEE BREWERS -yanks past & present
PITTSBURGH PIRATES -clipper, yf36, seahorse
ST. LOUIS CARDINALS -shotgun

NL West:
ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS –bluesexy’s daddy
COLORADO ROCKIES -tino24
LOS ANGELES DODGERS
SAN DIEGO PADRES -CalifYanksFan
SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS -meggieNY

later,

a39, bthgaPrez, shotgun's partner in crime & orangema's favorite son...

26 in 2000

------------------

MAFIA
03-21-00, 06:50 AM
BLUESEXY, you are correct about THE D-BACKS, they have an excellent team, I will alway's love and hope BUCK does well, he really is a good coach w/young players.

------------------

clipper
03-21-00, 08:10 AM
Well - I'd like to take the Phillies, since I go to a few of their games every year, but since they're taken, I'll take the Bucs.

------------------
"Does Coggins look like Bonds?" - Bill White 1975

JimF
03-21-00, 12:30 PM
Mafia took mine too (I guess we're all closet Phillies Fans http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/wink.gif), so I think I'll go with Cincy, just because I think they have a shot at the main event this year, so they'll be interesting to follow.

===>NOTE:

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas on how to track all of this and keep people interested, please let a39 or myself know. Thanks!

------------------
"Just watching the game, having a Bud..."

Ansky39's Neighbor's Best Friend's 9th Cousin, Twice Removed.

bxny
03-21-00, 02:24 PM
Since Houston's where I met my wife, I'll go ahead and take the Astros.

Let's see....Bagwell, Biggio, Caminiti, Wagner, Lima.... I also get to keep up with Dotel while the Mets wonder whether Hampton was worth it, and pull for Doc Gooden's team again....not bad. Griffey, McGwire, and Sosa will get all the press, but I'll go ahead now, and pick the 'Stros to beat Cincy in the NL Central.

Great idea Ansky39!

------------------

clipper
03-21-00, 03:08 PM
Ideas for how to follow the adopted teams? Here are a few:

- Bookmark the team's local paper (In my case the Pittsburgh Press) so you can follow what the locals are saying about them.
- Pay regular visits to the team's website, and maybe their AAA club's site, too.
- Participate in their message boards if they have them. Assuming we're adopting teams that we like (or at least don't hate) I'm confident that we can avoid the tyoe of ugly incidents that have occasionally been seen on the "other" board, where Mets, RedSox, Orioles, and Braves fans have acted in a childish manner. As long as we're cordial and respectful, I'm sure we'll be welcome on other teams' boards.
- If you live near an NL city, try to catch a game when your adopted team comes to town. Consider the same with their minor league teams.

I'm not saying that I'll be doing all of these things, but those are a few ideas.

------------------

meggieNY
03-21-00, 04:48 PM
Since I left my heart there...I'll adopt San Francisco...

------------------

Ambassador of Goodwill
of The Ansky39 Fan Club

CalifYanksFan
03-21-00, 06:19 PM
Ok for the sake of the experiment I will take the San Diego Padres. Mainly, cuz I hate the Dodgers and the Giants. SD always has LA's number. I pity the poor fool who gets stuck with Atlanta.

------------------
Russ
BTHLs PAL in CAL
Official Ambassador from the Left Coast
26 in 2G

VisitMyYankeesWebsite (http://www.geocities.com/ocdaman/CalifYanksFan.html?946423243120)

nyy15
03-22-00, 07:53 AM
JimF took cinci, but would like I join in and help. I spent 5+ years in the cinci area when Paulie was there. Cinci is my second team if I had to choose one.

------------------

YankFan36
03-22-00, 10:00 AM
Hey, can I share the Pirates with Clipper? Pleeeeeze?

If not, I'll take the Braves...

--Britt
(YF "the Brewers and Rockies are lame, and I loathe the Dodgers" 36)

------------------

Bluesexy's daddy
03-22-00, 12:00 PM
LMAO......

"dom" has become a synonym for "dictator".

what a legacy.....

------------------
Q: What do you call a mets fan with a 70 IQ after he drinks a bottle of cheap whiskey??

A: A redsox fan.

JimF
03-22-00, 12:10 PM
NYY15; you are more than welcome to Cincy if you'd like them. You'd probably do a much better job since you like them so much.

Drats, now I'll have to think of another new team http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/wink.gif.

------------------
"Just watching the game, having a Bud..."

Ansky39's Neighbor's Best Friend's 9th Cousin, Twice Removed.

Kimmie
03-22-00, 12:53 PM
Jim, choose the Braves! Pleeeeeease! http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/tongue.gif

------------------
shotgun~

of The Ansky39 Fan Club!
Second in Command

yankeeg
03-22-00, 01:24 PM
If the Braves or Dodgers don't get adopted, I wouldn't be surprised at all. That's a pretty tall task for a Yankee fan to take on. Personally, I'd have to be heavily medicated.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that they're the Braves and the Dodgers.

Yanks-Past and Present
03-22-00, 08:44 PM
I was gonna choose Cinci but too many people so..... I have adopted (drum roll please), the BREWERS! They've got pretty much no chance at anything and I've always rotted for the underdog, (except in the Yanks case), and the Brews are the underest dawgs I know.

------------------
Official Historian-A39 Fan Club

seahorse
03-22-00, 09:53 PM
Pirates. Great idea A39.

------------------
A39FC
Best GoYanks!

clipper
03-22-00, 11:22 PM
YF36 - Welcome to the Bucs fan club. Why do you like the Pirates? I was born in Pittsburgh (but raised in northern NJ); I always liked the Pirates (except when they wore those goofy softball uniforms in the late '70s). In my 20s, I moved back to the 'burgh for grad school (CMU), and met & married a Pittsburgh gal. I went to a bunch of games from '90-'92, which were pretty good years.

JimF - I think I misunderstood your request for suggestions on "keeping track of things". On further review, I realize you're talking about tracking the "Adopt-A-Team" Project.

What about adding another forum specifically for Adopt-A-Team. You could encourage participants to title their posts to clearly indicate which team they're discussing, as in "PIRATES - New Field construction progressing nicely", or "PHILLIES - Still searching for middle infielders", etc. Then folks that were interested in only some of the NL teams would know which teams were in play. Just my two cents.

------------------

Ansky39
03-22-00, 11:23 PM
no problema britt...

I figured there'd be people choosing the same teams and it's no biggie...

Ideally, I hope to get a Bronx-Bombers.com Correspondent for each National League team, but if not, I'll assume reporting responsibilities for any teams left unrepresented...

Speaking of responsibilities... Well I'm no czar, (or dom http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/wink.gif ) this ain't a dictatorship so I'm taking all suggestions... I think the key is to stay on top of our nl team, and keep your bronx-bombers.com family updated on any noteworthy developments...

actually, I already recieved a suggestion from orangema, to assign each BX-Bombers.com Correspondent weekly reporting duties... I think it's a good idea, it doesn't have to be some huge 15 page yawner, just a weekly update... I'll create a weekly Post entitled "National League Update, Week Whateva'" and each of you can add your weekly take on your team whenever you get the time...

Also I like clip's idea of maybe even venturing over to your nl team's local message board occasionally to get the true blue fan's perspective... Just remember your representing Bronx-Bombers.com so keep your kool ya know http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/cool.gif , (unless they push ya too far, then just call on bth, or shotgun... http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/tongue.gif )

anyways, the feedback's good, only a few teams left...

later,

26 in 2000

------------------

Ansky39
03-22-00, 11:27 PM
thanks for the feedback clip, but I don't think we need another forum...

I have a little chart higher up that identifies each National League Team's Bronx-Bombers.com Correspondent... I'll maintain it here locally, and maybe create a seperate post once all the teams have been assigned to keep everyone else informed... I think that should be enough...

later,

26 in 2000

------------------

Ansky39
03-23-00, 06:42 AM
poor jim... http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/frown.gif

I'll be sure to buy ya an extra large foam tomahawk if you pick the chopheads... http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/wink.gif

and a rocker tee to sport while coverring your second team... http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

nah, I just can't see it... I won't have it... no way will I let you, the creator of the GREATES YANKEES BASEBALL FAN FORUM ON THE WORLD WIDE WEB, support those lousy chopheads... anyone but you... someone, please take the chopheads, so we can spare bth such a cruel fate...

later,

26 in 2000

------------------

Kimmie
03-23-00, 08:32 AM
I think the Braves are a great team for Jim! Can you image the reports we would get back from him? pahahaha!! Only BTh could handle a team like the Braves, and make it good! Awwwwww poor Jimbo..I will give you the Cards and I will take the Braves... NOT http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/tongue.gif

------------------
shotgun~

of The Ansky39 Fan Club!
Second in Command

Tino24
03-23-00, 06:06 PM
I'll take the Rockies.. if no-one wants 'em

------------------
If Being a Yankee Fan is wrong, then by god, I don't wanna be right
DestiNY
Ends in NY
"OUR CAPTAIN AND LEADER HAS NOT LEFT US TODAY, TOMORROW, THIS YEAR, NEXT,OUR ENDEAVORS WILL REFLECT OUR LOVE AND ADMIRATION FOR HIM"