PDA

View Full Version : Smoltz Out - Rocker Stays?

KayForPresident
03-09-00, 10:11 AM
After hearing about John Smoltz's unfortunate injury yesterday, one of my first questions was "how will this affect their bullpen?" If the starters fall short a little more, they'll be stressed that much more. Will the loss of Smoltz give the Braves an "out" regarding John Rocker's status? Assuming the Braves are looking to Trade Rocker to save face, I think Smoltz's injury gives the Braves a political leg to stand on...they can simply say "Hey, we just lost one of our best guys...we need to keep Rocker."

Although I'm sure he is still a total distraction in the clubhouse that may cause problems during the season, losing a major cog in the Braves' pitching machine may make it a little easier to swallow his idiocy and abort the alleged trade-talks. After all, the guy throws mid-90's.

...Any thoughts?

------------------
See Ya!

Goto Dinologic.com (http://www.dinologic.com)

JimF
03-09-00, 01:38 PM
Very interesting ideas, KFP.

However, I don't see Atlanta looking too eager to get rid of Rocker. He has made his ammends with the team, and they re-signed him and everything. I think that if they were really intent on trading him, it probably would have happened already, because there were interested parties.

Assuming that Atlanta did want to trade him to save face, but did not look forward to losing his arm, I think you are absolutely right. It would give them an excuse to say "Rocker stays".

With all this in mind, I bet their minds will start to change when they start making road trips to culturally diverse cities such as, well, all of them except for Atlanta http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/wink.gif.

------------------
JimF@Bronx-Bombers.com

Ansky39's Neighbor's Best Friend's 9th Cousin, Twice Removed.

Bluesexy's daddy
03-09-00, 01:40 PM
Seems like they would keep Rocker now. I don't even think that Rocker will be that big of a distraction. He is just a "PR" dilema.

If it means more profit Ted Turner will hire Satan as a pitcher if he needs to.

------------------
If you don't like the YANKEES go to another sight.

KayForPresident
03-09-00, 01:46 PM
Just a thought. I was under the impression that they were still trying to "unload" him.

PR-wise, I think it gives them another excuse to keep him...another argument when they're asked how they could keep a person filled with such hatred.

JimF
03-09-00, 01:53 PM
I think when they saw the response from interested teams they saw how desired he was, and that it would be a shame to lose him. The guy is the biggest Wart on the face of baseball, but he is a damn good pitcher.

------------------
JimF@Bronx-Bombers.com

Ansky39's Neighbor's Best Friend's 9th Cousin, Twice Removed.