PDA

View Full Version : Newark Bears Woo Strawberry

bxny
02-29-00, 07:32 PM
Newark Bears Woo Strawberry
The Associated Press
Tuesday, Feb. 29, 2000; 7:11 p.m. EST

NEWARK, N.J. If Darryl Strawberry wants to play ball during his one-year suspension, count the Newark Bears in.

"If he wants to play somewhere, we want to have him," Dave Popkin, a spokesman for the unaffiliated minor league team in New Jersey's largest city, said Tuesday.

The Bears have a new ballpark in Newark, not far from Strawberry's home in Fort Lee.

The New York Yankees outfielder was suspended for a year Monday and cannot play for any major league team or any minor league team affiliated with them.

The Bears are in the independent eight-team Atlantic League, which Popkin said had 64 former major leaguers in its ranks last season, when it fielded six teams.

"The Bears do have interest in Darryl. We know he's gone the independent route before," Popkin said. The team plans to wait a week before contacting Strawberry, Popkin said.

Strawberry played in the independent Northern League for the St. Paul Saints in 1996, hitting .435 with 18 home runs and 39 RBIs in 29 games. He spent two months with the Saints before rejoining the Yankees.

The Bears are owned by Rick Cerone, a former catcher for the Yankees and other major league clubs.

Copyright 2000 The Associated Press

------------------

JimF
02-29-00, 07:58 PM
If he does play w/ the Bears, count me in for season tix...

------------------
JimF@Bronx-Bombers.com

Ansky39's Neighbor's Best Friend's 9th Cousin, Twice Removed.

bxny
02-29-00, 08:22 PM
It's way too early to guess how the final chapter in Straw's career will be written. Once again, it'll be up to Darryl. If he can get his life together and at least do all the things he should, like stay CLEAN, I believe he'll be invited to camp next year. IF he remains clean, and I don't think he'll be too old. In the meantime the Newark Bears have a lot to offer Darryl; close to home, owned by former Yankee Rick Cerone, former pro players, friendly crowd. No matter what happens, I'm hoping for the best for Straw and his family.

------------------

kgblues
02-29-00, 09:19 PM
I heard Cerone on WFAN today with Sommers & Salzberg. He's a good guy. Sounds like a perfect fit for Straw to stay straight, be close to home and keep the skills honed. That place sounds a great park to see a few games. Straw would make it just a bit more exicting

------------------
kg

JimF
02-29-00, 09:28 PM
kg- it is a great park, we should try to catch a game this summer...

------------------
JimF@Bronx-Bombers.com

seahorse
02-29-00, 10:58 PM
Count me in if the Strawman plays. That's a good reason to go to Newark. I could give him a ride home after the game. Maybe we could get some gyros...

------------------
A39FC
Best GoYanks!

nyy15
03-01-00, 07:44 AM
I'm mixed on this. It great for the bears to have straw, but isn't playing in Newark a bad idea for a man with a drug problem? Shouldn't getting help for his problem and being with his family be his top priority. His baseball career is over! Its time to move on like all great players do.

------------------

[This message has been edited by nyy15 (edited March 01, 2000).]

NewYorkIrish
03-01-00, 09:11 PM
I work in Newark, about 3 blocks from the Newark Bears Stadium, and I was THRILLED when I read this in the Daily News this morning. It's a great stadium, every seat is great, the crowd is good, the food and beer is cheap, and every night is a giveaway night practically. Coupla other things: this happens to be the best section of Newark, it's a coupla blocks from the NJPAC, where the world's greatest classical musicians play, it's the legal center of New Jersey, all the top law firms, plus Seton Hall Law School are within a coupla blocks of the Stadium. You can take PATH or NJ transit from Penn Station and walk to and from Penn Station in Newark to the Newark stadium. It's a good walk, about, oh, 6 blocks, but very safe. Restaurants in the area are pretty much Portugese, and better food you never tasted anywhere. Don Pepe's restaurant is on the way to Newark Stadium, best food and sangria in your life. All in all, if the Yanks are out of town, head to Newark, just 20 minutes from NYC by train. I am so hoping Strawman plays for the Bears.

------------------

Official Bouncer - Ansky39 Fan Club.

"Don't Mess With
The Mick"

NewYorkIrish
03-01-00, 09:15 PM
One other thing I wanted to mention. Drugs are everywhere, not just in Newark or NYC

------------------

"Don't Mess With
The Mick"

JimF
03-01-00, 09:37 PM
Maureen- Ever been to the Spanish Pavilion? Right across the river in Harrison, it is a great Restaraunt. Actually, my father just got married at Don Pepe's a year or two ago. My father works in Newark, so I'm always down there going to Dinner with him and whatnot.

What you said about the stadium is true. It was designed by the same designer as Camden Yards, and it is a great place to see a game.

------------------
JimF@Bronx-Bombers.com

NewYorkIrish
03-01-00, 11:18 PM
Jim! I didn't know you were in this area. Why did I think you were in California or something? I know the Sp. Pavilion, but never been there. Been to Pepe's, Forno's and Iberia, AND Playball, the Cuban restaurant behind Penn Station. I walked in there one day and saw a poster of Paul O'Neill and knew I'd found a good place. Where does your father work? I work in the legal center, One Riverfront Plaza, and you better get yourself over to Don Pepe's one day so we can have lunch! You're 21 right? Good, you can buy the sangria...... Go Yanks, Go Newark Bears!

------------------

"I love baseball."
- Roy Hobbs

"If they ask, 'who was our star?', give them 25 names..and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees......"

JimF
03-01-00, 11:27 PM
My father is an administrator at Essex County College. He usually takes me to Don's 21 (now called "Seabra's Rodizio") right across the street from the ballpark. You got it, Sangria and some Garlic Shrimp on me. http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
JimF@Bronx-Bombers.com

yanksgirl24
03-02-00, 08:25 AM
not to rain on anyone's parade here, but don't go ordering those season tickets with the newark bears just yet. after reading an article in the paper, strawberry may not sign with a minor league team. first off it said major league baseball is paying for his rehab as part of his benefits. since he is still under contract with the yankees he still retains all benefits, including service time towards his pension and insurance. strawberry is not allowed to accept these offers while under contract with the yankees, but has the right to request a release. cashman said straw has not done so yet. if he were to request a release he would lose all benefits and service time. not that i know what all this exactly means, but strawberry is taking steps in getting his life back together with the aid of major league baseball. i don't see him requesting to be released while in rehab because one, he should not even be thinking about baseball now, and two, he's there because of one of his benefits. i guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens, but i thought it was an interesting piece of information.

------------------
bthl's #1 fan
pres. of the bthl fan club

I am sad to see you go but keep your hopes up and something good will happen to you. Don't go out there not knowing what you want or people will take advantage of you, so take charge and be on your merry way.
CB 6/99

Bluesexy's daddy
03-02-00, 08:57 PM
You make a very valid point Yanksgirl24.

I can't imagine the pressure his pregnant wife is under right now.

------------------
If you don't like the YANKEES go to another sight.

bronx keed
03-08-00, 11:49 PM
straw wants to play? Let him play nintendo till he gets his life together and comes to terms with the real issues in his life..family and self before baseball...good luck straw, but you can call me SUSPICIOUS..

------------------