PDA

View Full Version : Rocker Expects His Suspension To Be Reduced Today!

CalifYanksFan
03-01-00, 08:52 AM
http://graphics.nytimes.com/images/1banbaseball.gif

March 1, 2000

Decision on Rocker Due Today; Ban May Be Cut

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Related Articles

The New York Times on the Web Sports
Expanded Coverage of Baseball From The Times
Yankees Worry and Wonder About Strawberry's Future
How the Yankees Fare on Road to Cooperstown
Anderson Saunters In as Doors to Hall Open
Mets' Reserve Competition Taking Turn to the Left
Isringhausen Starts as A's Closer
Brooklyn Says Hall Gave Hodges the Bum's Rush
Forum

Join a Discussion on Baseball
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By MURRAY CHASS
ohn Rocker, the Atlanta Braves pitcher who criticized many segments of society in a magazine interview, is expected to have his 73-day suspension reduced today by baseball's impartial arbitrator.
Shyam Das, the arbitrator, will issue his decision on Rocker's appeal of the suspension, and indications point to a reduction in the penalty imposed by Commissioner Bud Selig.

Neither Rob Manfred, management's chief labor executive, nor Donald Fehr, head of the players association, would comment on the pending decision. They, with Das, are members of the three-man panel that hears appeals of disciplinary action by the commissioner. However, one baseball official said Rocker was expected to be allowed to join the Braves in spring training as early as tomorrow.

Scott Sanderson, a former pitcher, testified at the hearing of Rocker's appeal of the suspension about the negative effects an abbreviated spring training could have on Rocker.

When Selig announced his suspension of the 25-year-old closer on Jan. 31, he said Rocker would have to miss all 45 days of spring training and the first four weeks of the season, returning to the Braves on May 1. He said Rocker could begin working out in the Braves' extended spring training April 3, the day the season begins for most teams, and then work with their minor league teams until joining the Braves.

It was unclear how Das would treat the four weeks of the season Rocker is supposed to miss. No ruling is final until Das signs it and issues it to both sides.

Rocker agreed to a one-year contract with Atlanta yesterday.

------------------
Russ
BTHLs PAL in CAL
Official Ambassador from the Left Coast
26 in 2G

VisitMyYankeesWebsite (http://www.geocities.com/ocdaman/CalifYanksFan.html?946423243120)

AnskyGal7
03-01-00, 01:02 PM
good for rocker, let him continue to be atlanta's problem...but oh how i would love to see him play for the mets...

well hopefully he'll be back playing by march 11, so i can witness the new york fans tear him apart at legends field.

------------------
"The-e-e Yankees Win!!!"

"And if I can make it there, I'm gonna make it, anywhere. It's up to you, New York, New York."
--Frank Sinatra