PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox Center fielder jumps into Yankee rivalry

bxny
02-22-00, 06:11 PM
Center fielder jumps into Yankee rivalry
By HOWARD ULMAN
AP Sports Writer
February 22, 2000

FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) -- It didn't take long for Boston center fielder Carl Everett to jump into the rivalry with the New York Yankees.

``Now that I'm part of it, I'm going to add some fuel to that fire,'' he said Tuesday.

A member of the Red Sox for just over two months, he revealed his longtime dislike for Boston's AL East rival. The Yankees drafted Everett in the first round in 1990, then let him go to Florida in the expansion draft for the 1993 season.

``I never liked them when they drafted me,'' he said. ``I'm glad they didn't protect me.''

He didn't stay long with his other teams either -- two years with Florida, three with the New York Mets and two with Houston, where he hit .325 with 25 homers and 108 RBIs last season.

But the Astros parted with him on Dec. 15 in a trade that brought them shortstop prospect Adam Everett. That put Carl Everett in the same division as the Yankees, who train in his home town of Tampa.

``I won't try to figure it out,'' Carl Everett said of Houston's reasons for trading him. ``I can't fault them. It's their team. It's the way they wanted to go so I'm looking forward. I'm not going to look back.''

One day he can look ahead to is May 26. That's when Boston plays New York for the first time this season. The game is at Yankee Stadium.

It will be their first meeting since last Oct. 18, when the Yankees beat the Red Sox 6-1 to win the AL championship series 4-1.

``I've always wanted to beat them,'' Everett said. ``When I was in New York with the Mets, there's nothing more I wanted than to beat them.

``I've just never been a Yankee fan. I've never liked those guys.''

He didn't give a reason for his feelings.

``They have a great center fielder in Bernie Williams,'' Everett said, ``but I'm quite sure they miss me.''

Although he's coming off an outstanding season and the Red Sox expect him to hit third or fourth, he's with his fourth team in seven years and is just 1-for-11 in his career against the Yankees.

``As long as I'm around playing baseball, it doesn't matter where I am, as long as it's not with the Yankees,'' he said.

Everett has an aggressive style, stole 27 bases last season and likes to get under an opponent's skin.

``I don't think a team plays good upset,'' he said. ``I like to tick the other team off.''

updated at Tue Feb 22 15:10:05 2000 PT

=============================================

Aren't the Red Sox fun? http://www.bronx-bombers.com/ubb/icons/icon7.gif

JimF
02-22-00, 06:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>but I'm quite sure they miss me<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Miss who?

http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
JimF@Bronx-Bombers.com

Ansky39's Neighbor's Best Friend's 9th Cousin, Twice Removed.

kgblues
02-22-00, 07:39 PM
Good! A guy who can hit, plays for the enemy, and hates the Yankees.
Just another broken heart come October.

------------------
kg

CalifYanksFan
02-22-00, 09:27 PM
Good. Another victim to be added to the Bambino's curse. What an idiot. He's going to find out playing for the RedSux.

------------------
Russ
BTHLs PAL in CAL
Official Ambassador from the Left Coast
26 in 2G

VisitMyYankeesWebsite (http://www.geocities.com/ocdaman/CalifYanksFan.html?946423243120)

smr15
02-23-00, 07:25 AM
...I had the same thoughts!! I'm glad he hates the Yankees....it'll make whoopin' the Sox, and crushing his hopes all the sweeter...

Everett: Open mouth, insert foot.

------------------

MAFIA
02-23-00, 08:28 AM
GREAT, YAZ, LYNN, AND RICE all felt the same way, look where it got them.

------------------

nyy15
02-23-00, 08:57 AM
so did the rocket and boggs, but each saw the light!!! As all bosox players do when they want to a ring.

------------------

Nome
02-23-00, 10:08 AM
It's too bad Everett can't play as well as he can talk.

------------------
Nome

"The way a team plays as a whole determines it's success. You may have the greatest bunch of stars in the world, but if they don't play together, the team won't be worth a dime." George Herman ("Babe") Ruth

yankeeg
02-23-00, 11:28 PM
Carl,

You should learn to keep that trap shut. Now you will learn the hard way and suffer like many before you.

MAFIA
02-24-00, 07:24 AM
NOME!

------------------

orangemom
02-24-00, 08:10 AM
What a pompous ass! Why can't these fools ever learn to shut up and just play baseball? He's sure the Yankees miss him, what a laugh! http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
President and founder of the Ansky39 fan club
I Haven't Lost My Mind, It's Backed Up On Disk Somewhere

mish1019
02-28-00, 02:08 PM
miss him? why?????

------------------
MISH

yanksgirl24
02-28-00, 02:18 PM
this guy should save himself the trouble and stick his foot in his mouth now.

------------------
bthl's #1 fan
pres. of the bthl fan club

I am sad to see you go but keep your hopes up and something good will happen to you. Don't go out there not knowing what you want or people will take advantage of you, so take charge and be on your merry way.
CB 6/99

Bluesexy's daddy
02-29-00, 02:03 PM
I missed him so much........what did he say his name was???

Enjoy your early fall vacation fool. LMAO

------------------
If you don't like the YANKEES go to another sight.

bronx keed
02-29-00, 03:09 PM
I'm sure bernie misses him, now he has to get his own water, and scratch his own itch..Drafted 10 years ago, hmmm..deserves to be with the sux, birds of a feather etc etc..big mouth, no ring, no dream come true for him in sux land...I can't help but laugh at...whats his name again?

------------------