PDA

View Full Version : Is is true that Mussina was severely injured in the '90's?



El Duque
11-04-03, 08:25 PM
I was talking to a friend of mine who's been a baseball fan for a long time. He told me that Mussina was hit by a come-backer in the early 90's and his face was pretty banged up, and that's why he won't throw at people? Is that true? Is so, are there any more details?

Bernie51
11-04-03, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by El Duque
I was talking to a friend of mine who's been a baseball fan for a long time. He told me that Mussina was hit by a come-backer in the early 90's and his face was pretty banged up, and that's why he won't throw at people? Is that true? Is so, are there any more details?

Yup, I believe it was Sandy Alamor who hit him in the face with a line drive.

Dave in MD
11-04-03, 08:30 PM
two separate issues. He won't throw at people because after doing so against Seattle he was hurt in the brawl. In a separate incident he was hit in the face by a line drive.

WindRavenX
11-04-03, 08:44 PM
Wow, I didn't know that...how scary! I can't imagine what it looks like from a pitcher's POV to suddenly see this blurr coming towards your face...having no reaction time..
At least his lovely face is still in tact after that incident :bad: :ga-ga:
Seriously, though, I think that he also doesn't throw at people because the games where the chance has come up for him to retaliate have been in very tight situations where putting a runner on is risky..Mussina is one of the smartest pitchers in the game and doesn't let his emotions overrun is logic on the field.

pacewon
11-04-03, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Dave in MD
He won't throw at people because after doing so against Seattle he was hurt in the brawl.

Also it was his manager who ordered him to throw at a Seattle player; Moose didn't do it on his own will.

Carissa
11-04-03, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by El Duque
I was talking to a friend of mine who's been a baseball fan for a long time. He told me that Mussina was hit by a come-backer in the early 90's and his face was pretty banged up, and that's why he won't throw at people? Is that true? Is so, are there any more details? He was hit by the comebacker in 1998. The brawl after he threw a retaliation pitch where he injured his shoulder and was on the DL for 6 weeks was in 1993.

OilCan
11-04-03, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by WindRavenX
Wow, I didn't know that...how scary! I can't imagine what it looks like from a pitcher's POV to suddenly see this blurr coming towards your face...having no reaction time..


Bryce Florie getting hit in the face in 2000 was one of the scariest things I've ever seen in baseball.

http://espn.go.com/talent/danpatrick/s/2001/0705/1222698.html

Carissa
11-04-03, 09:37 PM
This is from the game story:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores98/98134/98134305.htm

Travis Fryman belted a two-run homer in the sixth inning to put
Cleveland ahead and the Indians snapped a season-high six-game
losing streak with a 5-4 victory over the Baltimore Orioles, who
lost starter Mike Mussina to a fractured nose.

Mussina was protecting a 4-3 lead in the sixth when Sandy Alomar
lined an 0-1 pitch back to the mound. The ball hit Mussina
above the right eye, causing him to crumble to the ground.

"Obviously, I'm very distressed by what happened to Mike,"
Orioles manager Ray Miller said. "It seems like we've had
nothing but freak things happen to us. Fortunately, thank the
Lord, it was a half-inch higher and not in the eye socket. The
ball kind of tore the skin and clipped the nose, so there wasn't
any real damage except for possibly a mild concussion."

After laying prone for several minutes, Mussina was able to sit
up as he was tended to by trainers. He held a towel to his
head, walked to the dugout under his own power and never lost
consciousness as he was taken to University Hospital. He was
diagnosed with a fracturdd nose and a laceration above the right
eye.

"It was a scary moment, but I'm glad he was conscious and I'm
glad he walked off the field," Alomar said. "I feel for his
family, it reminds you that sometimes baseball can be a
dangerous game. I apologized, I felt responsible because the
ball came off my bat. I was nervous, I was praying. I never hit
a guy in the face or in the head before. I can't explain it
all, but hopefully he can go back to pitching."

Cleveland manager Mike Hargrove echoed the same sentiment.

"You never want to see that happen. It hit flush, you heard it,
the sound it made. But I'm glad he's OK. We all have a
comraderie, all of the athletes. It was distracting to both
teams, our guys were concerned. Sandy was bothered."
Battered Mussina not headed for disabled list
Associated Press
http://www.onlineathens.com/1998/051698/0516.s1baseball-mussina.html

BALTIMORE - Mike Mussina, who sustained a broken nose and cut face when struck in the face by a Sandy Alomar line drive Thursday night, will not be placed on the disabled list.

"Knowing Mike, he'll probably want to play catch tomorrow," Orioles manager Ray Miller said before Friday night's game against Tampa Bay. "But we're not going DL him."

With Mussina's status uncertain, the Orioles recalled right-hander Bobby Munoz, 2-0 with four saves and a 1.59 ERA in 13 games at Triple-A Rochester. Catcher Charlie Greene was optioned to Rochester.

Mussina's next scheduled start is Tuesday at New York. An optimistic Miller, however, wouldn't say whether he expects his ace to be ready.

"Mike is a pretty tough individual. ... He handles stuff pretty well," Miller said. "But if Mussina misses a start, there's no way I can go with 11 pitchers."

With dark glasses covering a red-and-purple bruise around his eye, Mussina briefly visited with teammates in the clubhouse Friday. He didn't talk to reporters.

Mussina was struck by Alomar's smash in the sixth inning of the Orioles' 5-4 loss to the Cleveland Indians. Since he was following through on his delivery, Mussina did not have time to use his hands to protect himself.

The right-hander was making his third start since coming off the disabled list on May 3 after a wart on his right index finger split open. He was motionless on the ground for about two minutes before being helped from the field by Orioles trainers.

He was taken to University Hospital, where X-rays revealed the fractured nose. Orioles officials said Mussina needed 16-20 stitches to close a gash above his right eye and was released early Friday morning.

Dr. Lew Lyon, a sports psychologist from Good Samaritan Hospital in Baltimore, said Mussina's successful return will hinge how he overcomes the physical and psychological effects of the injury.

"Pitchers are prone to not to want to put themselves in that position again," Lyon said. "His logic will tell him not to put himself in a position where he's throwing cross-body, his glove is down and he is vulnerable."

backstop20
11-04-03, 09:39 PM
.

FelipePArantes
11-04-03, 09:43 PM
Dodgers' SP Ishii surfered something similar at last year's ending.

Good Bye.

WindRavenX
11-04-03, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by OilCan


Bryce Florie getting hit in the face in 2000 was one of the scariest things I've ever seen in baseball.

http://espn.go.com/talent/danpatrick/s/2001/0705/1222698.html
Ugh, I remember seeing that game on TV. My dad and I both thought he was struck dead on the spot..
:(

koko
11-04-03, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Dave in MD
two separate issues. He won't throw at people because after doing so against Seattle he was hurt in the brawl. In a separate incident he was hit in the face by a line drive.

June 6, 1993: Hit Mariners' Bill Haselman with pitch, in retaliation for pitches thrown at Orioles hitters by Chris Bosio. Haselman charges mound and Mussina ends up under pile of players during 20-minute brawl. Five Mariners and three Orioles are ejected. Mussina stays in the game, finishing seven innings and earning win.

Manager: Johnny Oates

Rockbird
11-04-03, 11:20 PM
I remember watching Moose getting beaned in the face with that linedrive. It was such a shock. Luckily he was ok, but he came up bleeding and had to miss some time.

penfold
11-04-03, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by koko


June 6, 1993: Hit Mariners' Bill Haselman with pitch, in retaliation for pitches thrown at Orioles hitters by Chris Bosio. Haselman charges mound and Mussina ends up under pile of players during 20-minute brawl. Five Mariners and three Orioles are ejected. Mussina stays in the game, finishing seven innings and earning win.

Manager: Johnny Oates

What a way to almost end your career... :(

As much as I like the flexibility of the DH, I do think that pitchers ought to bat to prevent this posturing from ruining someone's life. Who knows... maybe the solution is to have 10 guys in the lineup for both leagues. (And then contract a couple teams while you're at it.) Ah, if only baseball had a real commissioner.

koko
11-04-03, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by penfold


What a way to almost end your career... :(

As much as I like the flexibility of the DH, I do think that pitchers ought to bat to prevent this posturing from ruining someone's life.

It wouldn't deter much. Look at Drysdale, Gibson, etc. They didn't get hit much. Your star gets hit, you hit their star.


Originally posted by penfold

Who knows... maybe the solution is to have 10 guys in the lineup for both leagues. (And then contract a couple teams while you're at it.) Ah, if only baseball had a real commissioner.

:eek: Let's not go changing the game! That's sacred.

penfold
11-04-03, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by koko


It wouldn't deter much. Look at Drysdale, Gibson, etc. They didn't get hit much. Your star gets hit, you hit their star.
Yup. But since Drysdale, Gibson, etc. batted, there was no UNNECESSARY posturing. There was an admission on both sides that fair was fair. Right now, pitchers in the AL don't face the music. Batters resent that and want to strangle the guy who hit them because that's the only way the opposing pitcher feels their pain.



:eek: Let's not go changing the game! That's sacred.


Yeah, the game's sacred but there's a legitimate problem here and it's only getting worse. Bud's less than useless when it comes to problem solving. I don't want to see anyone get killed nor do I want to see anyone's life ruined if only somebody had tried changing one simple rule.

LilChief
11-05-03, 07:16 AM
I don't know much about Moose "Pre-Yankee", but I know he has won several Gold Gloves. I was just wondering if there was any corelation between his superb fielding and his being hit. It seems that he had won Gold Gloves prior to that, but did the injury cause him to adjust in any way to become even better at fielding? They mention how he was in his follow thru and his glove was down, but what I always see now is how quickly he gets set into a fielding position...just curious/making conversation...

Carissa
11-05-03, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by LilChief
I don't know much about Moose "Pre-Yankee", but I know he has won several Gold Gloves. I was just wondering if there was any corelation between his superb fielding and his being hit. It seems that he had won Gold Gloves prior to that, but did the injury cause him to adjust in any way to become even better at fielding? They mention how he was in his follow thru and his glove was down, but what I always see now is how quickly he gets set into a fielding position...just curious/making conversation... Well, he added that little hop at the end of his motion in order to get into better position after he was hit by that comebacker.

LilChief
11-05-03, 08:21 AM
Thanks Carissa, that's what I was wondering...

Sixty one
11-05-03, 08:24 AM
I have often wondered how much more affective a pitcher Mussina would be if he used the inside of the plate on batters who crowd him. I know how he has proclaimed that he won't throw at batters but this has to allow batters to really dig in on him and make him less affective!

Shel
11-05-03, 08:37 AM
May 14, 1998...I'll never forget seeing that game on TV, or the sound of the ball hitting Mike. It was horrible! If you look closely, you can still see a trace of the scar above his right eye.


Originally posted by WindRavenX
Wow, I didn't know that...how scary! I can't imagine what it looks like from a pitcher's POV to suddenly see this blurr coming towards your face...having no reaction time.. Mike said at the time that he never saw the ball coming towards him. But he must have sensed it, because he dropped his head a fraction of an inch just before the impact. Had he not done so, he'd have been hit directly in the eye like Brice Florie was.


Originally posted by Carissa
Well, he added that little hop at the end of his motion in order to get into better position after he was hit by that comebacker. He had a little bit of a hop at the end of his motion prior to getting hit, but it became much more pronounced afterward.


Originally posted by Sixty one
I have often wondered how much more affective a pitcher Mussina would be if he used the inside of the plate on batters who crowd him. I know how he has proclaimed that he won't throw at batters but this has to allow batters to really dig in on him and make him less affective! Less effective because he won't hit someone? Not really. But it does make him smarter.
Originally posted by WindRavenX
I think that he also doesn't throw at people because the games where the chance has come up for him to retaliate have been in very tight situations where putting a runner on is risky..Mussina is one of the smartest pitchers in the game and doesn't let his emotions overrun is logic on the field. Exactly.

35Knucklecurve
11-05-03, 09:07 AM
Shel is correct - Mike has always had that "hop" at the end of his
delivery, but it's been more pronouced since he was struck by
Alomar's line drive. Everyone was worried that Mike would never
be the same pitcher if he returned because of what has happened
to other pitchers who've been hit. Mike has said that the fact that
he never saw the ball coming was a blessing because he has
nothing to recall. He watched the replay once and that was enough.
To add to the potential tragedy, Mike and his wife were expecting
and his first thought was that she had seen the game. Luckily,
she didn't.

When Mike showed up in the clubhouse the next day, wearing
dark glasses and still in pain, a reporter got a good shot of
Mike's trademark biting sarcasm when he asked him what it felt
like to be hit with a ball traveling that fast. Mike said that he
couldn't describe it, but if the reporter would hand him a bat,
he'd SHOW him by whacking him in the head. Some of the
other reporters chuckled, but this idiot persisted by saying
he wanted a VERBAL description. Mike's answer: "That was it,
right there."

As Shel also mentioned, Mike learned his lesson after the "Battle with
Seattle". He's smart enough to know that the best way to get even is to send opposing batters back to the dugout with one K after another.
I'm very happy that NY fans are starting to find out how underrated
and amazing Mike is.

derekjeter916
11-05-03, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Shel
Had he not done so, he'd have been hit directly in the eye like Brice Florie was.


Wasn't there another guy who got hit in the eye? Herb Score?

:eek: :eek: :eek: I had read something about Moose's injury, but I had never known all the details. Thank goodness he was OK!

25Giambi25
11-05-03, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by OilCan


Bryce Florie getting hit in the face in 2000 was one of the scariest things I've ever seen in baseball.

http://espn.go.com/talent/danpatrick/s/2001/0705/1222698.html

I remember this one! That was awful...I remember blood spurting out of his eye. I remember Ryan Thompson saying how bad he felt too. I would never have thought that Bryce Florie would have been pitching again EVER!

nj-monarch
11-05-03, 09:43 PM
I was at a Yankees-O's game in '97. It was Pettitte vs. Key. (I think this was the game that set the record for longest 9-inning regular season game...a record that has since been broken.)

Pettitte left the game after getting hit with a line drive right back at him. It was scary. I remember thinking that he would be out for a very long time.

But, I think he made his next start.

I don't know anyone can get back on that mound after something like that happens.

ACPS
11-05-03, 09:46 PM
Since we're on the topic....didn't Moose get into a fight, too?

TAG
11-05-03, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by OilCan


Bryce Florie getting hit in the face in 2000 was one of the scariest things I've ever seen in baseball.

http://espn.go.com/talent/danpatrick/s/2001/0705/1222698.html
Me too....

TAG
11-05-03, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by nj-monarch
I was at a Yankees-O's game in '97. It was Pettitte vs. Key. (I think this was the game that set the record for longest 9-inning regular season game...a record that has since been broken.)

Pettitte left the game after getting hit with a line drive right back at him. It was scary. I remember thinking that he would be out for a very long time.

But, I think he made his next start.

I don't know anyone can get back on that mound after something like that happens.
Oh god I remember that game it was in the first inning cause some one called me and said Pettitte was that bad they had to take him out already cause she missed the beginng and I explained to her what happened..I remember seeing that blood gushing off of him, I was so scared...
But it turned out it was nothing serious, thank god...

Shel
11-06-03, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by ACPS
Since we're on the topic....didn't Moose get into a fight, too? Yes. See below.


Originally posted by koko
June 6, 1993: Hit Mariners' Bill Haselman with pitch, in retaliation for pitches thrown at Orioles hitters by Chris Bosio. Haselman charges mound and Mussina ends up under pile of players during 20-minute brawl. Five Mariners and three Orioles are ejected. Mussina stays in the game, finishing seven innings and earning win.

Manager: Johnny Oates

backstop20
11-17-03, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by OilCan


Bryce Florie getting hit in the face in 2000 was one of the scariest things I've ever seen in baseball.

http://espn.go.com/talent/danpatrick/s/2001/0705/1222698.html
boston.com 11/16/03 (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2003/11/16/steroid_expert_says_policy_has_no_muscle/)

By Gordon Edes

Try me again

Bryce Florie, the former Red Sox pitcher who nearly lost the sight in his right eye after being struck in the face by a line drive in 2000, has signed a minor league deal with the Marlins.

Copyright 2003 Globe Newspaper Company.

OilCan
11-17-03, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by backstop20

boston.com 11/16/03 (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2003/11/16/steroid_expert_says_policy_has_no_muscle/)

By Gordon Edes

Try me again

Bryce Florie, the former Red Sox pitcher who nearly lost the sight in his right eye after being struck in the face by a line drive in 2000, has signed a minor league deal with the Marlins.

Copyright 2003 Globe Newspaper Company.

Thanks for the link, I saw that this morning. I hope he does well. :)

35Knucklecurve
11-17-03, 12:44 PM
I wish Florie the best of luck. It takes a great deal of mental toughness
to go back out to that mound after being struck. For a period of time,
after he returned, you could see Mike flinch after every pitch. It took
Sandy Alomar (who hit the ball that struck Mike) longer to get
over it than it took Mike. BTW - I never did understand why Mike
was lead off the field rather than taken into the clubhouse on a
stretcher. With any kind of head injury, there is no such thing
as being overly cautious.

NicktheStick36
11-17-03, 03:51 PM
Billy Wagner got hit in the face with a line drive in either 1996 or 1997...

I was at that Bryce Florie game too. The only things I remember about it was I was sitting in front of the Staten Island Fire Dept, Clemens started, Canseco had a hit, and Florie got hit in the face.

I actually have a little story to share...

When I was in high school, I was a pitcher. I threw a fastball that stayed on the same plane, to a righty. It was about belt high and he crushed it. All I remember seeing was a big ball, and a flash.

I tossed my arm up, and got hit on the left wrist. My glove went back into my mouth (no Weaver) and knocked out my front tooth. My wrist was broken.

It was the scarest thing ever, folks.