PDA

View Full Version : Strike in the forecast

cookietheyankee
02-06-00, 04:29 PM
I hate to say this at this time of the year but I see another baseball strike coming when the latest contract is up. Salaries are escalating to the point where the minimum will be 1million dollars and that is ridiculous I am sorry also to say. I hope that I am wrong but baseball is heading in that direction once again. Need for greed. Donald Fehr is the Villain here. His main interest is how much money he can make and thinks nothing of the fans either!

Jim F
02-06-00, 08:45 PM
I see salary caps and profit sharing before I see another strike. We are fortunate to be at a high point in baseball right now, what with the Yanks and the Big Macs and Sosas and whatnot. I have a feeling all the players want to play more than they want anything else (except for A. Belle & Griffey Jr.).

XZavirer
02-06-00, 09:06 PM
I think this next strike is gonna happen and it is gonna be a killer!! These greedy bastard are gonna stick it to the fans again, goddamnit!!! The last strike caused me to bail out of buying my season tickets after six years of doing so. I don't care, as I can't afford to pay for theese millionaire salaries anymore! Don't these dumb-asses reemember how bad the last strike hurt the game? F them!

nyy15
02-07-00, 07:40 AM
We will have another strike. When is anyone's guess. However, the next strike will have first time split among the rank and files of the players associations. The players association is becoming a union of have and have nots. As salaries for super stars continue to escalate, many players are not going to see their pay day. How many $15 - $20 mill a year players can a team even like the Yanks sign? Not many, 2, 3 maybe 4. That leaves many players making between $500,000 and $5 mill. Something will have to break.

Plus many players are seeing that the current situation is leaving them with little if no chance of getting a ring. This is becoming a big issue among players.

In a nutshell IMO players will start questions the union. Many players will start to feel that without a salary cap they will never have a chance to win.

A salary cap if every implemented will hurt the yanks http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/frown.gif

Ansky39
02-07-00, 11:23 AM
whoops... I started a similar post re: sammy and potential strike over in other teams... my bad cookie...

anyways I agree 100% w/ nyy15 on this... it's just a matter of time... we need some kinda cap or something becasue no way will anyone be able to compete unless they can afford 100mil payrolls... the regular players are gonna get squeezed... it ain't right...

If you can pay them this much, why not give us fans a kickback huh... no way would the networks pay so much for advertising rights but for the presence of upwards of 50,000 fans a night in every mlb city... LOWRER OUIR COSTS!!!! IT's OUR NATIONAL PASTTIME!!

I say if anyone goes on strike we fight back and unionize... Fight strike w. strike... we'll see who;s got the real POWER...

I'm serious if I even here a peep about strike, I;m quitting my day time gig forming a union and sending out 250million free registration forms out... this is OUR national pasttime these greedy pigs are getting fat off of... we gotta eat too ya know...

costanza, Baseball Fans of America Stand up and be Heard!!!

26 in 2000

26 in 2000

Jim F
02-07-00, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I suppose you guys are right... I was looking at it from a different standpoint. And I just replied to that Sosa topic, a39.

The last strike really hurt the game, and I think it is just finally gotten totally healed.

------------------
Thank you for using Bronx-Bombers.com (http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi)!!
Suggestions? - Jim@Bronx-Bombers.com

-Jim F.
Webmaster

What the heck is an Ansky39?

Jim F
02-07-00, 03:24 PM
From www.mets.com: (http://www.mets.com:)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
140 million 9 year contracts. $57 seats+parking+dogs+scorecard+usher's tip+beer+.....It's getting out of hand people.
Add to this the cabin fever we all get during the winter.

There is a new football league in the cards, why not baseball? Dome stadiums would permit play in the winter. Or you could play ball in the south, and south of the border.

I just don't understand a ballplayer making 130 million+dollars? Sure Griffey might have had a better year than Clinton, but geez 130+million?

The pendulum has really swung to one side. A new league should help settle the score for the fan. Lower ticket prices, all year round baseball, and better pluralism by creating opportunity to more ballplayers to play ball.

------------------
Thank you for using Bronx-Bombers.com (http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi)!!
Suggestions? - Jim@Bronx-Bombers.com

-Jim F.
Webmaster

What the heck is an Ansky39?

nyy15
02-07-00, 03:49 PM
Why do you think minor league baseball is so big in NJ? Not because its better, but its affordable and usually competitive. How many of you went to see the NJ Cards when the Staten Island Yanks came to town? I did and will again this year.

Jim F
02-07-00, 03:56 PM
I love all the minor league teams...I go regardless of who's playing. The Trenton Thunder, the Newark Bears...I love it. It's the best way to see a ballgame (that doesn't involve the bombers): cheap, up close, and easy.

KayForPresident
02-07-00, 04:11 PM
You will be interested to note that just a coupla weeks ago, Bergen County officials met to discuss the prospect of building a new minor league park on the grounds of Overpeck Park in Leonia (that's NJ for all the NY'ers http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/biggrin.gif). It would seat about 6,000 I believe with prices targeted in the range of a movie theatre...family entertainment. That would be awesome.

I have yet to get to a minor league game...I plan on going this summer.

------------------
See Ya!

Jim F
02-07-00, 04:16 PM
Hey KFP...we'll go catch a Bears game this summer...or that team that plays at Montclair U... heck yeah

bxny
02-07-00, 04:35 PM
I think another strike is inevitable. We still have basically the same cast of characters calling the shots that we had during the last strike, so I would expect their incompetence to divide up a billion plus dollars fairly, to shine once again, only to be out done by their pride and greed.

The fastest way, in my opinion, to have the ticket prices lowered, is to stop allowing companies to have tax write offs for sporting events. The company I work for has season tickets for the 'Skins. We pay around 1,300. a year for a couple seats. One of the main reasons we continue to renew every year is because it's a tax write off. Whether the cost was 1300. or 2000. per year for the tickets, we would still probably renew because of the write off. We're just a small company of around twenty employees. When you start getting up to major corporations that buy blocks of tickets, box seats, suites, etc. they're the ones that dictate to the rest of us what the price for tickets will be. Take away the write off and the prices would drop in a New York minute. Once the smoke clears from the Boss signing all the high priced players, you'll see him screaming for the Stadium situation to be resolved. He won't continue to allow all of the revenue from luxury suites to go untapped without putting up a fight.

I'll have to check out a minor league game this year, sounds like a good time.

[This message has been edited by bxny (edited February 07, 2000).]

orangemom
02-08-00, 09:19 AM
I hope they don't strike, it would just about kill baseball. Prices for things are so out line now it's unbelievable. For us, a family of four, all adults now, it costs us in the neighborhood of $400 to get to a single Yankee game. We take a bus, because its a long drive 4 1/2 hours, so a bus is just easier, tickets-$50 each, minimum, that's for the upper deck. Then because we leave here at about 6AM, and get home no earlier than 10PM when it's a 1PM game, we're talking at least two meals on the road, plus whatever we buy at the stadium. It's ridiculous. My son works part time in the summer, as most college students do, and was going to buy himself a beer last summer, but refused to pay an hour's salary for a single beer. He went with his best friend (who's a Mets fan) to Shea, and he said their concessions are even more expensive than at Yankee Stadium. Where is it all going to end? When the average fan can no longer attend, and the players are playing to an empty house with all seats bought out by corporations who then don't use them?

You unionize Ansky, and I'll help you out any way I can! I can type till my fingers bleed. http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
President and founder of the Ansky39 fan club

orangemom
02-08-00, 09:26 AM
One other thing, I LOVE, LIVE minor league baseball. Tickets for the Utica Blue Sox, general admission-$4, covered grandstand-$5, grandstand reserved and field box-$6. Most games there are free general admission tickets available at local businesses. General admission season tickets-$50 each. Parking-$1, beer-$2, except on Thursdays, which is Matt's Brewery night, when they're cheaper. Hot dog-$2, except if they make too many, then they sell them for half price in about the 8th inning. You get the drift. It's inexpensive, the general admission bleacher seats are the best in the house, and the competiton is usually pretty good. The best part is that most of the players aren't spoiled yet. They're playing because they love it, and they are never too busy to talk to a kid or sign an autograph. http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
President and founder of the Ansky39 fan club

JetersGurl
02-18-00, 08:55 PM
I hope that the players and owners remember what happened in 1994!!!!!!

------------------
"I would like to thank the Good Lord for making me a Yankee."
- Joe DiMaggio

XZavirer
02-19-00, 08:38 AM
Hey guys (and gals). For those of you who say you arn't sure when the strike will be, it is inevitable. The contract between the owners and the MLBPA is up after the 2001 season. You can make plans for summer 2002 and not worry about interfering with missing any baseball. I might just go to Europe that summer and not miss a pitch.

------------------