PDA

View Full Version : What did these guys have in common?

#1PaFan
03-03-00, 10:39 AM
These Yanks shared something. What was it?

George Selkirk, Allie Clark, Bud Metheny, Cliff Mapes, and Ducky Medwick.

------------------

#1PaFan
03-03-00, 01:29 PM
Ducky Medwick was with us in spring training one year and, like the other four players mentioned, wore #3 AFTER the Babe retired.

Can you imagine anyone wearing a number of a retired great these days?

Rather obscure trivia, I admit.

26 in '00

------------------

JimF
03-03-00, 01:35 PM
Was the Babe's #3 retired at that point, or was just the Babe retired?

------------------
JimF@Bronx-Bombers.com

Ansky39's Neighbor's Best Friend's 9th Cousin, Twice Removed.

#1PaFan
03-03-00, 01:44 PM
#3 wasn't officially retired until 1948.
Gehrig's #4 was the first number retired.
The Babe last played for the Bombers in '34.

Here's a couple more obscure ones for ya:

Al Benton: The only man to pitch to both the Babe and the Mick.

Bobby Veach: The only man to ever pinch-hit for the Babe on the Yanks. (He flied out)

Hey, can you tell I'm bored? Off work today, and nothing to do but read about my Yanks. http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/smile.gif

26 in '00

------------------

JimF
03-03-00, 01:49 PM
Ahh, you lucky son of a gun...

------------------
JimF@Bronx-Bombers.com

chelle
03-03-00, 04:30 PM
Wasn't there two Yankees that "traded" wives?? I was gonna say those had the same wife!! LOL!!

------------------
"Seventy-five percent of my life is basketball. The other twenty-five percent of my life is my bum. That's where I spend my Saturday nights..." Coach Eric "Jeter"

clipper
03-03-00, 11:43 PM
I don't know what they had in common, but Joe Medwick never played for the Yankees. The others were outfielders (mostly reserves) that did not overlap.

Selkirk plyed from '34-42
Metheney played from '43-45 - he batted a few times in '46, but never fielded that year.
Clark was with the Yanks in '47
Mapes was a Yankee from '48-51

I give up.

------------------
"Does Coggins look like Bonds?" - Bill White 1975

JimF
03-03-00, 11:51 PM
...a drinking problem? http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
JimF@Bronx-Bombers.com

#1PaFan
03-04-00, 04:40 PM
Hi Chelle,

Yep. Fritz Peterson & Mike Kekich. They not only exchanged wives, they exchanged families, including pets.
Fritz had some good years for us in some of our darkest days.

BTW Chelle, it looks like my Rollers might bring home the gold this year....again!

26 in '00

------------------

chelle
04-02-00, 01:23 PM
Oh goodness,
I am a Tri-Valley person when it comes to School Spirit, we may be little (I can say that again!), but we've got some good athletes (not in basketball tho, we suck at that, our Varsity team won like two games)

------------------
"Seventy-five percent of my life is basketball. The other twenty-five percent of my life is my bum. That's where I spend my Saturday nights..." Coach Eric "Jeter"
How am I typing? E-mail at: baseball_chelle@Bronx-Bombers.com

Nome
04-17-00, 02:37 PM
#1 PA Fan,

Just saw your post and really enjoyed it. I remember Selkirk, Clark and Mapes. I don't remember Medwick playing for the Yanks but I will take your word for it. Mapes of course wore #7 before Mickey. Mickey started out with #6.

I remember when Ruth's #3 was retred, it was on an August day (8th?) in 1948 on Babe Ruth Day. I remember listening to it on Radio. Ruth was suffering from the last stages of throat cancer then and passed away shortly thereafter.

------------------
Nome

"The way a team plays as a whole determines it's success. You may have the greatest bunch of stars in the world, but if they don't play together, the team won't be worth a dime." George Herman ("Babe") Ruth