PDA

View Full Version : When was your first visit to Yankee Stadium?

bxny
04-04-00, 08:00 PM
When was your first trip to the Stadium?

I've read in a few of the post that there will be some that will be visiting the Stadium for the first time this year, so I thought I'd share my first visit with the best Yankee fans on the 'net.

My first trip to the Stadium was in '72, a night game between the Yanks and Tigers. I'll never forget the feeling of walking through the turnstile and out of the tunnel to view the field for the first time. To see the bright green grass under the lights, the distant monuments in centerfield, the YANKEES in real life! This ten year old kid was in AWE! You can really feel the presence of the Yankee greats that have played on the hallowed field. It's a feeling that you'll remember for the rest of your life, and every other time you visit.

Thanks to the good people at www.baseball-almanac.com (http://www.baseball-almanac.com) and www.retrosheet.org (http://www.retrosheet.org) I was able to find the boxscore from that night in '72....

Game of 8/10/72 -- Detroit at New York (N)

Detroit AB R H RBI New York AB R H RBI
McAuliffe D, 2b 4 0 0 0 Clarke H, 2b 3 0 0 0
Rodriguez A, 3b 4 0 0 0 Munson T, c 4 0 0 0
Brown G, lf 4 0 1 0 Murcer B, cf 3 1 2 0
Taylor T, pr 0 0 0 0 White R, lf 4 0 0 0
Cash N, 1b 3 0 1 0 Blomberg R, 1b 3 0 0 0
Sims D, c 2 0 0 0 Callison J, rf 3 0 2 1
Freehan B, ph 1 0 1 0 Swoboda R, rf 0 0 0 0
Northrup J, cf 4 0 0 0 Sanchez C, 3b 3 0 1 0
Horton W, rf 3 0 0 0 Michael G, ss 3 0 0 0
Brinkman E, ss 3 0 1 0 Kline S, p 3 0 0 0
Brown I, ph 1 0 0 0 Lyle S, p 0 0 0 0
Coleman J, p 2 0 0 0
Haller T, ph 1 0 1 0
Knox J, pr 0 0 0 0
Scherman F, p 0 0 0 0
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
32 0 5 0 29 1 5 1

Detroit 000 000 000 -- 0
New York 000 100 00x -- 1

Detroit IP H R ER BB SO
Coleman J (L) 7.0 5 1 1 1 6
Scherman F 1.0 0 0 0 1 0

New York IP H R ER BB SO
Kline S (W) 8.0 3 0 0 0 3
Lyle S (S) 1.0 2 0 0 1 2

E -- Sanchez C
DP -- New York 1
LOB -- Detroit 8, New York 6
2B -- Murcer B 2, Brown G
SB -- Clarke H
HBP -- by Kline S (Sims D), by Kline S (Cash N)
T -- 2:11
A -- 40,145

I'm sure glad CBS sold the team to the Boss..

26 in '00

yanksgirl24
04-04-00, 10:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bxny:
You can really feel the presence of the Yankee greats that have played on the hallowed field. It's a feeling that you'll remember for the rest of your life, and every other time you visit.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that is sooo true! my first trip to the stadium (i think i've told this story 100 time, what's 101?!) was divisional playoff game 2 in 96. not only was it my first game but i was a sophomore in my high school marching band and we performed the pre game show. over three years i got to do that 11 times including world series games and the 96 & 98 ticker tape parades. there is no place like yankee stadium. david cone said it, there is a magic and mystique to that ballpark.

------------------
"We're a great team. Nothing can change that. Nothing can change greatness."

[This message has been edited by yanksgirl24 (edited April 04, 2000).]

seahorse
04-05-00, 09:29 PM
I don't remember much about it. A drunk guy laughed at me for bringing my glove. We sat in the main reserved on the third base side right behind a steel column. This was back in 1966.

------------------
Best GoYanks!
a39fc

AnskyGal7
04-05-00, 10:02 PM
I'll get back to this post after Tuesday!!!! My first Yankee Stadium Game!!

------------------
"The-e-e Yankees Win!!!"

"And if I can make it there, I'm gonna make it, anywhere. It's up to you, New York, New York."
--Frank Sinatra

JimF
04-05-00, 10:16 PM
yg24- Are you sure it's only 101? I think you might be missing a "0" in there... http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/tongue.gif

Seahorse- some guy yelled at you for bringing a glove? That is TERRIBLE! That's what you do when you are a kid. Even if you're sitting so far away there is no way in HELL that you'd be able to catch a ball, you still bring your glove with you. The anticipation of the possibility of catching a ball is what makes the ballpark so magical when you're young.

My first trip to Yankee Stadium was almost exactly like yours, bxny. It too was against the Tigers, but it was in 1990. I was brought up to be a Phillies fan, but my friend was a huge Yankees fan. His dad had great season tix through his company, and I got to go to a game with them. We went extra early to catch BP, and I met Donny Baseball, who ended up signing a ball for me, which I still have on my desk to this day. I have also been a die-hard Yankee fan since that day.

The best thing about Yankee Stadium, is that incredible feeling never leaves you. Every time you go, it is just as exciting as the first.

AnskyGal7- have a great time, you'll enjoy it!

------------------
"Just watching the game, having a Bud..."

Ansky39's Neighbor's Best Friend's 9th Cousin, Twice Removed.

yanksgirl24
04-05-00, 10:51 PM
okay, fine jim. but have you ever been on the grass at yankee stadium a half hour before a world series game? http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/tongue.gif besides, its a great memory. i'll never forget that, or any of the games for that matter.

------------------
"We're a great team. Nothing can change that. Nothing can change greatness."

[This message has been edited by yanksgirl24 (edited April 05, 2000).]

clipper
04-06-00, 08:19 AM
1969 - Bat Day against the fledgling Royals. Just me and Dad behind the third base dugout.

------------------
"Does Coggins look like Bonds?" - Bill White 1975

chelle
04-08-00, 03:13 PM
I've never been--
however I'ce been to the Vet many times. The best time was meeting A-rod after the Phillies All*Star Game. He was so cool and nice. I was ten at the time I think.

------------------
"Seventy-five percent of my life is basketball. The other twenty-five percent of my life is my bum. That's where I spend my Saturday nights..." Coach Eric "Jeter"
How am I typing? E-mail at: baseball_chelle@Bronx-Bombers.com

NewYorkIrish
04-08-00, 09:51 PM
I was about 9 years old. My Mom the Diehard Yankee Fan brought me. Mom, my grandpa and I went. I was the littlest and the youngest, so I had to sit behind the steel beam (this is the old Stadium) I guess it was around 1967. I walked out of the Stadium leaning to the right because that was the position I sat in for about 5 hours.....and it was worth it.

------------------
"If they ask, 'who was our star?', give them 25 names..and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees......"

[This message has been edited by NewYorkIrish (edited April 08, 2000).]

kgblues
04-08-00, 10:40 PM
It was a guess around 1959 or 1960.
At least thats the 1st game I remember.
Jim Coates was pitching. He was throwing 180 MPH. The grass was so green and the place so huge. Walking out of the tunnel, holding my Dad's hand and seeing that field. Damn. I think you guys know what I mean. From that moment on I was hooked. I don't remember who won. But Mantle hit a monster HR. Johnny Blanchard hit a line drive HR into the old Mezzanine press box.
I've forgotten a few games in the past I'm sure. But that game will never leave me.

------------------
kg

MAFIA
04-10-00, 09:30 AM
1978, 18 inning game against the REDSOX.

------------------