PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox jackets prompt fan cheers

KC
10-05-03, 12:26 PM
Red Sox jackets prompt fan cheers
By Jesse Sanchez / MLB.com

BOSTON -- Forget the jumbotron.
The Red Sox used everything at their disposal on Saturday against the Athletics, including a unique brand of inspiration to incite the boisterous crowd during the home team's 3-1 victory at Fenway Park.

Standing on the top step of their dugout in the bottom of the fifth inning, Lou Merloni, Adrian Brown, Doug Mirabelli, and Andy Abad each had white letters taped to the back of their jackets that spelled out "Li-l-ly," the name of opposing starting pitcher Ted Lilly.

A few thousand fans chanted the name Lilly during the inning, but motivational jackets were not an overwhelming success. Lilly for the most part was. He allowed only two hits in seven innings.

"He was pitching a great game and the fans had the chant going a little so we thought we had to get the chant going a little louder," Merloni said. "It was pretty funny. We did it all in fun and we just tried to get the crowd going a little bit. It didn't work out and he shut us down. He pitched a great game."

Oakland players appreciated the humor and were not offended by the gesture.

"Good for them," Oakland center fielder Eric Byrnes said. "They're a confident group and they like to have fun. Whatever they think works for them to get the crowd fired up."

"That's funny, I guess," Lilly said "We're willing to do whatever it takes. I guess so were they. If you were in either dugout tonight I'm sure you would have found that both teams were willing to do whatever it takes to win tonight."

bakntime
10-05-03, 12:59 PM
Bush league ****. Very unprofessional.

PettittesPrincess
10-05-03, 01:16 PM
Very classy aholes... wtg Ted for shutting them up!

Hitman23
10-05-03, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by bakntime
They're just trying to get the crowd into it. I don't see anything wrong. Lilly shut them up so it's all good.

nybabygurl2
10-05-03, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by bakntime

I agree totally. They're saying they need their fans to help them--they can't win by their own strength. :rolleyes: Glad that Ted shut em up!

Jim F.
10-05-03, 01:49 PM
That's not as bush league, IMO, as Eric Byrnes pushing Veritek... what a tool...

-jim

ACPS
10-05-03, 02:00 PM
The umpires had "Lilly" on their backs?!?!

yankeegeek
10-05-03, 03:35 PM
What do you expect it is Boston we are talking about. They cheer "Yankees ****" during a Super Bowl Victory rally. I have come to expect anything from Boston. Anything from that crap on the jacket, to stealing signs.

Once a looser, always a looser!!!

Jersey Yankee
10-05-03, 04:24 PM
From 1986 WS:

Daaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyylllllllllllll!!!

From 2003 regular season:

Roooooooooooooogggggggeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrr!!!

Same idiots, different day.

NDBoston
10-05-03, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by yankeegeek
What do you expect it is Boston we are talking about. They cheer "Yankees ****" during a Super Bowl Victory rally. I have come to expect anything from Boston. Anything from that crap on the jacket, to stealing signs.

Once a looser, always a looser!!!

It was a Patriot who started that chant; Larry Izzo.

You don't want to talk about the Jets, do you?

yankeegeek
10-05-03, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by NDBoston

You don't want to talk about the Jets, do you?

What the hell do the Jets have to do with the discussion?? We are talking about the low class that is Boston Sports.

NDBoston
10-05-03, 07:43 PM

What the hell do the Jets have to do with the discussion?? We are talking about the low class that is Boston Sports.

I didn't bring up the Super Bowl. The fact is a Patriot started the chant for whatever reason.

Larry Izzo isn't all there, so I give him a pass.

Boston is a great sports town. The fans love their team and are very knowledgable baseball fans.

A few examples of class from Boston fans:

Giving Joe Torre a standing ovation when he came back from cancer treatments.
Giving Roger a standing ovation on his last appearance at Fenway.

Chanting "Beat LA" in Game 7 of the NBA conference playoff finals, when Philly was beating the Celtics.

Nothing beats the passion of the East Coast fans of Boston, NY and to some extent Philly.

I have lived in Boston for 12 years and NYC for 4 years. Both cities have their idiot fans. That comes with the territory

I have been to many Notre Dame away games. Try going to a game at WV, Ohio State or Ann Arbor. I've seen what class means. Yankee and Red Sox fans are passionate but not low class.

I know you're a Yankee fan, but do you really Boston is a low class sports city?
It's sad if you do.

bakntime
10-05-03, 08:01 PM

I didn't bring up the Super Bowl. The fact is a Patriot started the chant for whatever reason.

Larry Izzo isn't all there, so I give him a pass.

Boston is a great sports town. The fans love their team and are very knowledgable baseball fans.

A few examples of class from Boston fans:

Giving Joe Torre a standing ovation when he came back from cancer treatments.
Giving Roger a standing ovation on his last appearance at Fenway.

Chanting "Beat LA" in Game 7 of the NBA conference playoff finals, when Philly was beating the Celtics.

Nothing beats the passion of the East Coast fans of Boston, NY and to some extent Philly.

I have lived in Boston for 12 years and NYC for 4 years. Both cities have their idiot fans. That comes with the territory

I have been to many Notre Dame away games. Try going to a game at WV, Ohio State or Ann Arbor. I've seen what class means. Yankee and Red Sox fans are passionate but not low class.

I know you're a Yankee fan, but do you really Boston is a low class sports city?
It's sad if you do.

I don't know how this became a disussion about the fans, but I think if you're talking about the players, there's no comparison. Yankees=class, Boston=not so much. The whole Lilly thing, then Johnny Damon making constant comments about how they're not afraid of the Yankees, and Todd Walker talking trash about Oakland before the ALDS started. It's rampant.

GoBernie
10-05-03, 08:07 PM
Don't forget their joking comments about feeding the A's rat poison.

ACPS
10-05-03, 08:22 PM
I think any respectable Red Sox fan would boo the hell out of Roger Clemens, even if it was his last game. ;)

Alex
10-05-03, 08:24 PM
I thought we were talking about their low class players, not their low class fans... :lol:

Gehrig'sGhost
10-05-03, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Alex
I thought we were talking about their low class players, not their low class fans... :lol:

I think the discussion somehow turned to include both, Alex. Not surprised to see one of them back here only AFTER they won two, though.

Judge Mental
10-05-03, 08:30 PM
http://images.chron.com/content/news/photos/03/04/20/perfectinside.jpg
Not so much?

Alex
10-05-03, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Judge Mental
http://images.chron.com/content/news/photos/03/04/20/perfectinside.jpg
Not so much?

Thanks for the pic!!! Good game Wells!!!

As low as he ever got, it was never so low as to paint a name on his back to leade cheers taunting opposing players. Thanks for reminding me that even the most classless Yankee knows where to draw the line and not disrespect opposing players! :O :p

GoBernie
10-05-03, 08:44 PM

Thanks for the pic!!! Good game Wells!!!

As low as he ever got, it was never so low as to paint a name on his back to cheer taunts of opposing players. Thanks for reminding me that even the most classless Yankee knows where to draw the line and not disrespect opposing players! :O :p

Also, he loves the Yankee fans. He's the only pitcher that acknowledges the roll call now. I can't imagine him ever flipping the crowd off.

yankeegeek
10-05-03, 08:46 PM

It's sad if you do.

I am a Nets fan. Remind me what they did to Jason Kidd and his family?

b-ball-lunachick
10-05-03, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Hitman23

They're just trying to get the crowd into it. I don't see anything wrong. Lilly shut them up so it's all good.

sorry Steve -- have to disagree there...if the fans who have been so desperate for a championship need the players to feed them chants, that's a problem -- I think I'd be offended as a Sox fan that they'd think we couldn't be loud or inventive enough on our own :D I'm glad the Oakland players are taking it lightheartedly -- at least that's what they said publicly anyway. ;)

Like I always say, you can shave the mullet off the boys, but it doesn't shave off the bush-league in the boys. :D ;)

RhodyYanksFan
10-05-03, 10:07 PM
Low class Boston players:
1. Johnny Damon talking trash about the Yankees 2 weeks after being traded there (i won't even get into his mullett).
2. BY Kim giving his home fans the finger. He obviously can't take the criticism that comes with a large market media happy franchise.
3. Not baseball but who remembers what Marty McSorley did a few years ago as a Bruin. Assault with a deadly weapon??

Low class Boston fans:
1. Chanting Yankees S*ck! at all sorts of events. I've been at Patriots games, college football games, bars, concerts, and even a red sox/oakland game where there were Yankees s*ck chants.

There are many people up here who are "Yankees s*ck" fans and not "Boston Red Sox" fans. Don't believe me? See how much Yankees s*ck merchandise you can buy on Yawkey Way as opposed to Red Sox merch. It's easiely 3-1.

Luvtino
10-05-03, 10:16 PM
I saw it as bush league. Unprofessional. :(

biggiantpencil
10-05-03, 10:28 PM

I am a fan of not beating women. Remind me what Jason Kidd did to his wife.

yecul
10-05-03, 10:33 PM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
There are many people up here who are "Yankees s*ck" fans and not "Boston Red Sox" fans. Don't believe me? See how much Yankees s*ck merchandise you can buy on Yawkey Way as opposed to Red Sox merch. It's easiely 3-1.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I dunno, there seem to be quite a few threads with people jumping over themselves to bash the Sox and their fans.

But, that's probably different, I guess.

Hitman23
10-05-03, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by b-ball-lunachick
sorry Steve -- have to disagree there...if the fans who have been so desperate for a championship need the players to feed them chants, that's a problem Why is it a problem? The Sox fans are so down on the curse. They all expect them to crumble again. This year's batch of players have been trying to get the fans riled up all season long. And they're doing some wacky stuff. I give them credit.

ring403
10-05-03, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by yecul

I dunno, there seem to be quite a few threads with people jumping over themselves to bash the Sox and their fans.

I thought it was just alot of fluff. No?

CalYankeeFan
10-05-03, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Jim F.
That's not as bush league, IMO, as Eric Byrnes pushing Veritek... what a tool...

-jim

Why are you bringing up Byrnes' tool?

;)

But you're right...that dumb move cost them the game, and very well could've cost them the series..

yankeegeek
10-05-03, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by biggiantpencil

I am a fan of not beating women. Remind me what Jason Kidd did to his wife.

I will remind you. During the playoffs in 2002 the Boston Fans taunted Kidd all game long by chanting "Wife Beater". To make matters worse they taunted his wife and Son TJ. They tossed beer at them. They did this to his wife and his 3 year old son.

As far as the problem that Jason and his wife had it seems that they got past it. I know that they still go to therapy together. It was an ugly incedent that made their marriage stronger, by all accounts.

Judge Mental
10-06-03, 12:23 AM
Nobody tossed beer at the Kidds.

If Jumana wants to bring her kid ot every away game and sit in the middle sections among the fans waving her kid around trying to get face time on TV she's gonna have to deal with jeering fans....if a guy beats his wife, people will chant wifebeater, and whether or not it made their marriage "stronger" (just like Kobe's marriage got a lot stronger after he nailed some hotel worker and bought his wife a huge rock) if the Kidd family is going to sit out in the crowd with everybody else and not up in a box or something then they should full on expect to get taunted....anywhere....

and if david wells showing up drunk at the ballpark is more classy than getting the fans to chant "Lilll-Leeee" than I don't know what planet we're on.

ACPS
10-06-03, 06:40 AM
At least he didn't refuse to pitch. :lol:

Sixty one
10-06-03, 09:23 AM
Some how I can't imagine Yankee players in the dugout wearing their jackets with PEDRO spelled out trying to get Yankee fans to chant his name. This was totally bush league!!&po'd&

luke2003
10-06-03, 11:22 AM

I will remind you. During the playoffs in 2002 the Boston Fans taunted Kidd all game long by chanting "Wife Beater". To make matters worse they taunted his wife and Son TJ. They tossed beer at them. They did this to his wife and his 3 year old son.

As far as the problem that Jason and his wife had it seems that they got past it. I know that they still go to therapy together. It was an ugly incedent that made their marriage stronger, by all accounts.

How could anyone defend Jason Kidd???? He is a wife beater. It is public record!

Anyway, in reality, the wife beater chant is much more accurate than the yankees **** chant.

Alex
10-06-03, 11:26 AM
Nobody tossed beer at the Kidds.

If Jumana wants to bring her kid ot every away game and sit in the middle sections among the fans waving her kid around trying to get face time on TV she's gonna have to deal with jeering fans....if a guy beats his wife, people will chant wifebeater, and whether or not it made their marriage "stronger" (just like Kobe's marriage got a lot stronger after he nailed some hotel worker and bought his wife a huge rock) if the Kidd family is going to sit out in the crowd with everybody else and not up in a box or something then they should full on expect to get taunted....anywhere....

and if david wells showing up drunk at the ballpark is more classy than getting the fans to chant "Lilll-Leeee" than I don't know what planet we're on.

:rolleyes:

I guess it's her fault, and the toddlers' fault... they should expect to be abused ... why didn't they get a luxury box where the beer won't reach them.... lordy lordy lordy.

Hitman23
10-06-03, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Sixty one
Some how I can't imagine Yankee players in the dugout wearing their jackets with PEDRO spelled out trying to get Yankee fans to chant his name. This was totally bush league!!&po'd& You know something? I hope they do. For a couple of reasons.

one- it would be hilarious
two- it will prove my theory that if the Yanks would do it, people would think it was all in good fun. anyone else does it and they're classless.

Winger03
10-06-03, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Luvtino
I saw it as bush league. Unprofessional. :(

I said as much to Mrs. Winger03 as we were watching the game. At first I thought they were grounds crew people. I never would have thought such action would be sanctioned by the manager or front office. Sure Theo is saying that it was not good. That is now, where was he during the game. Surely, SOMEONE among the Boston higher-ups saw it on TV. I'm sure there is at least ONE TV in the .406 Club or owners box.

Imagine the $hit-storm that would have erupted had this been Yankee players.

Beeeeeee-Kaaaaay
Peeeee Drooooooo
Johhhhhh neeeeee

It is silly to even imagine it.

--Jim

Gehrig'sGhost
10-06-03, 11:44 AM
You know something? I hope they do. For a couple of reasons.

two- it will prove my theory that if the Yanks would do it, people would think it was all in good fun. anyone else does it and they're classless.

No, I think it would prove that your theory is baseless. Sorry.

That's the kinda stuff that wouldn't even be tolerated at a Bobbysox softball game, let alone MLB.

Hitman23
10-06-03, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Gehrig'sGhost
No, I think it would prove that your theory is baseless. Sorry. a perfect example of why I want them to do it. our guys are not perfect model citizens. the Sox players are not beneath us. they're just trying to get their fans motivated any way they can. i respect them for doing it. there's no rules saying you can't taunt an opposing team.

Alex
10-06-03, 11:50 AM
a perfect example of why I want them to do it. our guys are not perfect model citizens. the Sox players are not beneath us. they're just trying to get their fans motivated any way they can. i respect them for doing it. there's no rules saying you can't taunt an opposing team.

It's alright... you have different standards as to what you consider ok. I just don't.... whether it's a Yankee or a Sox. It's like the hustling thing with me... to some people it's not a big deal, to me it is.

KC
10-06-03, 11:54 AM
a perfect example of why I want them to do it. our guys are not perfect model citizens. the Sox players are not beneath us. they're just trying to get their fans motivated any way they can. i respect them for doing it. there's no rules saying you can't taunt an opposing team.

Believe it or not:

(a) No manager, player, substitute, coach, trainer or batboy shall at any time, whether from the bench, the coach's box or on the playing field, or elsewhere_ (1) Incite, or try to incite, by word or sign a demonstration by spectators;

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/official_info/official_rules/start_end_4.jsp

Hitman23
10-06-03, 11:59 AM
It's alright... you have different standards as to what you consider ok. I I think my love for the sport of hockey has a definate influence on this. :lol:

But seriously, in any sport I've ever played in my life, taunting the opposing team is huge. The reason why I see the hypocrisy here is because it's okay for Yankee fans to chant 1918 to the Sox or "Fire island" to Mike Piazza, or "Halley Berry" to David Justice, or any other degrading, hit a team/player right where it hurts chant.

Hitman23
10-06-03, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by KC
Believe it or not:
:eek: okay then, well it is against the rules. since that's the case, i take it back.

It's still alright for the fans though. :)

Alex
10-06-03, 12:14 PM

:eek: okay then, well it is against the rules. since that's the case, i take it back.

It's still alright for the fans though. :)

It's always alright for the fans... so long as they keep their hands to themselves... ")

Hitman23
10-06-03, 12:16 PM
I wonder if they're going to enforce any ruling on this, or fine the team for the display.

Man, this is definately the most entertaining post season in a long time.

KC
10-06-03, 12:21 PM
I wonder if they're going to enforce any ruling on this, or fine the team for the display.

I doubt it. I haven't seen any articles mentioning the rule. The only reason I remembered it was because in the 2000 WS, a ballon that said "Mets in 3000" floated into the Yanks dugout, and Mets fans I know were shouting that rule from the roof tops.

Hitman23
10-06-03, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by KC
I doubt it. I haven't seen any articles mentioning the rule. The only reason I remembered it was because in the 2000 WS, a ballon that said "Mets in 3000" floated into the Yanks dugout, and Mets fans I know were shouting that rule from the roof tops. :lol: I wonder what caused them to at one time look up that rule, considering it's odd that someone would know that off the top of their head.

I haven't seen any article either, your post was the first I've ever heard of it. Very odd that the umps wouldn't have said anything. Even more interesting, why the announcers who have access to everything baseball within seconds with all those people that help then run the show, plus the Internet, wouldn't have said something.

Judge Mental
10-06-03, 12:40 PM

:rolleyes:

I guess it's her fault, and the toddlers' fault... they should expect to be abused ... why didn't they get a luxury box where the beer won't reach them.... lordy lordy lordy.

No beer was tossed at them.

Jumana Kidd made a lot of negative remarks about Boston before the series even got there, so did Byron Scott, then they expected to be able to waltz in and be greeted with anything BUT jeers and chants??? Like I said, if a player's wife is in the crowd, and she's made inflammatory comments about the city she is in, and she knows the opposing fans really, really dispise her husband, why would she sit right in the thick of things? Attention? A chance to wave her little kid around and get on TV a couple hundred more times?

No beer was thrown, if she didn't want to listen to fans insult her husband than she should've stayed at home. Period.

Still not understanding how writing a player's name on your jacket is in the same league as showing up wasted for a ballgame.....

DkNNy79
10-06-03, 12:40 PM
Thats stupid and it sounds immature to me.

KC
10-06-03, 12:45 PM
Still not understanding how writing a player's name on your jacket is in the same league as showing up wasted for a ballgame.....

Both are ****ty and unprofessional. However, this thread is discussing the jackets. If you want to discuss David Wells being drunk for his perfecto, do an archive search. I'm sure that a few threads exist.

Hitman23
10-06-03, 12:49 PM
Still not understanding how writing a player's name on your jacket is in the same league as showing up wasted for a ballgame..... Just to clarify, he wasn't wasted he was hungover.

Alex
10-06-03, 12:55 PM
Listen, I lived in Boston... I KNOW what it's like. It can be a fantastic place, absolutely. But speaking of beers being tossed, I was driving from a game at Fenway, my kid sisters in tow... I usually don't drive and take the T, but because I had taken my sisters to Chinatown earlier, I was in my car. We're idling waiting to cross Mass Ave, a guy looks in the car, sees my sister with her Yankees cap on (this was in 1999 during the Clemens spanking at Fenway), and he takes his beer and tosses it with the cup at our windshield.

I know most fans wouldn't tolerate that, but that's an example of how things can get. I'm sure people have their own Yankees Stadium horror stories.

Alex
10-06-03, 12:58 PM
ND - if you really think we weren't upset about Wells being hung-over, you can do a search. But this thread isn't about that, it's about what happened this series, not what happened in 1998.

Hitman23
10-06-03, 01:04 PM
I know most fans wouldn't tolerate that, but that's an example of how things can get. I'm sure people have their own Yankees Stadium horror stories.
I was sitting out in the bleachers one time and a guy wearing a mets hat got at least a six pack tossed on him.

My company had gotten a box at Yankee Stadium back in 95 for the ALDS and a friend of mine is a huge Mets fan. He wore a Mets jacket to the stadium figuring he was with a bunch of people, so he could wear his colors. The stadium security told him to go back to his car and leave it there.

there are a million stories I'm sure.

Judge Mental
10-06-03, 01:10 PM
I realize what the thread's about, but when someone says "Yankees=Class Red Sox=Not So Much" I'm going to try and defend my team.....i'm not attacking any of you people or your perceptions of what is appropriate fan and player behavior, I'm just saying that as long as the planet keeps spinning yankee fans will think sox fans are losers and vice versa. However, when it comes to the players, something like writing a name on a jacket pales in comparison to the hijinx of yankees past and present, and I'd think that even if the roles were reversed.

Gehrig'sGhost
10-06-03, 01:31 PM

If Jumana wants to bring her kid ot every away game and sit in the middle sections among the fans waving her kid around trying to get face time on TV she's gonna have to deal with jeering fans....

Kinda like when a Sux fans makes appearances on a Yankee board, claims to be incredulous that someone would slam the Olde Towners, and defends them even in cases where they are obviously wrong (the jackets).

I will agree that FANS of all teams can be boorish and no one has the corner on righteousness in this regard. As far as these boards go, try signing up on the Sux board and post anything even mildly pro-Yankee (or just go look at past posts). You can expect to be cursed, reviled, and told to leave, even by moderators. Here, you guys are given much greater latitude and, if you are honest, you will recognize that fact.

As far as PLAYERS, you should expect more of them than of fans. Players publicly dissing George, dissing the Babe, "kicking a s s" quotes, etc. etc. - these are things you don't hear from Yankee players. They might say them in private but they are not stupid enough to say it in the press.

Funny, nearly all of the negative comments I've heard about the Sux team from players are from those who USED to play there.

KC
10-06-03, 01:32 PM
I realize what the thread's about, but when someone says "Yankees=Class Red Sox=Not So Much" I'm going to try and defend my team.....i'm not attacking any of you people or your perceptions of what is appropriate fan and player behavior, I'm just saying that as long as the planet keeps spinning yankee fans will think sox fans are losers and vice versa. However, when it comes to the players, something like writing a name on a jacket pales in comparison to the hijinx of yankees past and present, and I'd think that even if the roles were reversed.

I get what you're saying, and I pretty much agree. While I do think that the jackets were tacky, I don't think that it's a big enough deal to tarnish the Red Sox organization.

I usually enjoy hearing perspective from other team's fans, but lately it's seems as though every thread might as well be the Yankee fans yelling "1918!" and the Sox fans yelling back "Yankees ****!"

Bozidar
10-06-03, 01:41 PM
I agree with Steve, i see this as no big deal at all. Byrnes, now THAT was bush..

Alex
10-06-03, 02:23 PM
It's funny... I was starting to think it was only Yankees fans calling the Red Sox players classless, but I just went to the Oakland A's board and was reading about the "Li-LLY" jackets, Kim's middle digit, etc. They hold the Red Sox in about the same esteem as Yankees fans do. :lol:

rock
10-06-03, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Bozidar
I agree with Steve, i see this as no big deal at all. Byrnes, now THAT was bush..

Can a player shove an opposing player when he's chasing after the ball?
There must be a rule on that?

Hitman23
10-06-03, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by rock
Can a player shove an opposing player when he's chasing after the ball? There must be a rule on that? I'm thinking it's interferance/automatic out.

bakntime
10-06-03, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by yecul
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Would you just finally start using the "quote" button? :p It's below whichever post you want to quote, and it makes everything a lot easier to read, as well as specifying who you're quoting. This isn't SoSH - we actually have some real forum software :lol: