PDA

View Full Version : Memorable Yankee "Quotes"

bxny
02-21-00, 04:40 PM
"He'd give you the shirt off his back. Of course, he'd call a press conference to announce it."
-- Catfish Hunter on Reggie Jackson

"I didn't come to New York to be a star, I brought my star with me."
-- Reggie Jackson

"I know, but I had a better year than Hoover."
-- Ruth's reply when a reporter complained he was making more money than President Herbert Hoover

"Just one. Whenever I hit a home run, I make certain I touch all four bases."
-- Ruth on if he had any superstitions

"The ballplayer who loses his head, who can't keep his cool, is worse than no ballplayer at all."
-- Lou Gehrig

"So I'm ugly. So what? I never saw anyone hit with his face."
-- Yogi Berra

"Baseball is 90-percent mental. The other half is physical."
-- Yogi Berra

"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
-- Yogi Berra as Yankee manager

"It's got to be better than rooming with Joe Page."
-- Joe DiMaggio's response when asked whether marriage to Marilyn Monroe was good for him

"There's always some youngster coming up -- they'll find somebody . . ."
-- Joe DiMaggio (April 4, 1951), when asked who would replace him in 1952. "Somebody" was Mickey Mantle.

"Every time we make trouble, ol' George flies out here from another part of the country and gets in our way. Maybe we should make a lot of trouble, so he'll keep flying out here. Sooner or later, his plane's gonna crash."
-- Dock Ellis on George Steinbrenner in spring training, 1978

"I know Koufax' weakness. He can't hit."
-- Whitey Ford on Dodgers ace Sandy Koufax during the 1963 World Series

"So many ideas come to you and you want to try them all, but you can't. You're like a mosquito in a nudist colony, you don't know where to start."
-- Reggie Jackson on being in a hitting slump

"Why pitch nine innings when you can get just as famous pitching two?"
-- reliever Sparky Lyle

"As a ballplayer, I would be delighted to do it again. As an individual, I doubt I could possibly go through it again."
-- Roger Maris on breaking Babe Ruth's single-season home-run record

"When I get through managing, I'm going to open a kindergarten."
-- manager Billy Martin

"When you're a professional, you come back, no matter what happened the day before."
-- Billy Martin

"Honestly, at one time I thought Babe Ruth was a cartoon character. I really did. I mean, I wasn't born until 1961, and I grew up in Indiana."
-- Don Mattingly

"Nothing. How about some practice?"
-- First-base coach Stump Merrill-His wife, Carole, had asked him what a first-base coach did other than "pat guys on the rear end."

"The great thing about baseball is there's a crisis every day."
-- Yankees general manager Gabe Paul

"Well, that kind of puts a damper on even a Yankee win."
-- Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto after reading a bulletin that Pope Paul VI had died

"Good pitching will always stop good hitting and vice-versa."
-- manager Casey Stengel

"The Yankees don't pay me to win every day -- just two out of three."
-- Casey Stengel

"Son, we'd like to keep you around this season, but we're trying to win the pennant."
-- Stengel to a Yankee rookie

"There is no such thing as second place. Either you're first or you're nothing."
-- Yankees general manager Gabe Paul

"I am dead set against free agency. It can ruin baseball."
-- George Steinbrenner

[This message has been edited by bxny (edited February 22, 2000).]

JimF
02-21-00, 05:02 PM
Those were great! I've never heard that one about "Hoover" before ;)...

Here are some of my other favorites:

"When the Yankees score eight runs in the first inning and slowly pull away."
-Col. Jacob Ruppert, when asked what he considered a perfect day at the ballpark.

"Mr. George H. Ruth:

You are hereby notified as follows:
1. That you are unconditionally released.

(signed) Jacob Ruppert"
-The letter of release written to Babe Ruth

"So I close in saying I may have had a tough break, but I have an awful lot to live for."
- Lou Gehrig

"It's great to be young and a Yankee"
-Joe DiMaggio

"Ninety percent of the putts that fall short don't go in."
-Yogi Berra's theory on golf

"If I played in New York, they'd name a candy bar after me."
- Reggie Jackson

------------------
JimF@Bronx-Bombers.com

Ansky39's Neighbor's Best Friend's 9th Cousin, Twice Removed.

kgblues
02-21-00, 06:10 PM
Great stuff.
A few of my favorites:
When the great Lefty Gomez pitched in an oldtimers game and gave up like 6 straight hits was asked by a reporter later on what it felt like not to be able to throw as hard as he once did. Lefty replied:
"Son I'm throwing as hard as I ever did. It's just taking the ball a hell of alot longer to get to the plate"

Mickey Rivers explaining to Reginald Martinez Jackson why no one likes him.
"you got a white mans first name, a spanish middle name, and a black mans last name. you don't even no what you are"

Graig Nettles on Sparkys downfall
"He's gone from Cy Young to Cy-anara"

------------------
kg

[This message has been edited by kgblues (edited February 21, 2000).]

smr15
02-22-00, 10:02 AM
Those were great! I'll just add one:

"Hey, White, you know where your loyalties are? Right here. The old pinstripes. No! You never wore them... So you have a right to sing the blues."
- Phil Rizzuto

------------------

JetersGurl
02-25-00, 11:31 PM
Those r good :) How bout:

" Maybe the Good Lord was just waiting for me to put on the pinstripes."
- Joe Torre
When a reporter told Thurman Muson the Yanks wanted to aquire Johnny Bench
"Great, but where's he gonna play?"

------------------
"I would like to thank the Good Lord for making me a Yankee."
- Joe DiMaggio

#1PaFan
02-26-00, 12:50 AM
Hey, I love quotes, and one of favorites was always a quotable guy. So here are some of Mick the Quick's:

On the 'Reggie Bar:'
"The only missing is there's no mustard in it."

On Reggie's claim that he had an IQ of 160:
'Out of what--a thousand?'

"My jobs are to hit .300, score 100 runs, and stay injury prone."

"Me and George and Billy are two of a kind."

"Man, Cliff is So ugly that when he walks past you, your clothes wrinkle."

Mick the Quick. Just another reason I'm a Yankee fan.............!

26 in '00

------------------

NewYorkIrish
02-27-00, 04:20 PM
Jetersgurl, I remember vividly when Joe said that, being interviewed after the incredible 98 series. I printed it out in HUGE letters and hung it on my office wall, where it still hangs. One of the best all time Yankee quotes.

kg, what about the one when Reggie told Mickey Rivers he had an exceptionally high IQ, and Mickey said "Reg, you can't even spell IQ......"

Great posting guys, I'm printing this sucker out, it's a keeper.....
maureen/ansky-nj

------------------

yanksgirl24
02-28-00, 02:16 PM
great quotes you guys! i found a few more:

"Fans, for the past two weeks you have been reading about the bad break I got. Yet today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth. I have been in ballparks for 17 years and have never received anything but kindness and encouragement from you fans." - Lou Gerhig's farewell speech

"I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe DiMaggio

"When I was a little boy, I wanted to be a baseball player and join the circus. With the Yankees, I've accomplished both." - Graig Nettles

"There is always some kid seeing me who may be seeing me for the first or last time. I owe him my best." - Joe DiMaggio

"All I know is, I pass people on the street and they don't know whether to say hello or goodbye." - Billy Martin during his 3rd term as Yanks manager.

"Maybe they made me captain because I've been here so long. But if I'm supposed to lead by example, then I'll be a terrible captain." - Thurman Munson

"It gets late early out there." - yogi referring to the shadows in leftfield.

"Slump? I ain't in no slump. I just ain't hitting." - yogi berra

------------------
bthl's #1 fan
pres. of the bthl fan club

I am sad to see you go but keep your hopes up and something good will happen to you. Don't go out there not knowing what you want or people will take advantage of you, so take charge and be on your merry way.
CB 6/99

seahorse
02-29-00, 10:21 PM
Lefty Gomez:

"Clean living and a fast outfield" - on the secret to his success.

"Roomie, if you don't back up a little, you're going to make them forget about the great Lefty Gomez", - to Joe Dimaggio after Joe told him he would play shallow and make people forget about the great Tris Speaker (after having a triple ripped over his head).

"I'm something like the old soak who never knew whether his wife told him to take one drink and come home at 12, or take 12 and come home at one".

"I'd rather be lucky than good".

"Just had a triple bypass operation. Only triple I ever got". - After a heart operation in 1980.

------------------
A39FC
Best GoYanks!

penguin4
10-11-00, 12:10 AM
...I thought it was worth another look!:)

(Perhaps you're wondering why the heck I dug up something from February to begin with. Do I like to search the archives for fun? Am I trying to break the previous Bronx-Bombers.com record for longest interval between posts? Maybe so.;) Seriously, though, the real reason is I was searching for something I wrote in a post a long time ago, had to do a text search, and for some reason this came up in the results though I have no idea why, considering it has nothing to do with me. Well, now it does...)

Let's add to it!

Jillsi_21
10-13-00, 03:35 PM
Okay penguin, you wanted some more, so how about more from Yogi? You can never run out of Yogi-isms.

"I really didn't say everything I said!"

"Nobody goes there anymore. Its too crowded." --Telling Stan Musial and Joe Garagiola about a resturant in St. Louis, 1959

"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."

"It's deja vu all over again." --On Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris hitting back-to-back homers again.

"You mean now?" -- When asked what time it was.

"If you ask me a question I don't know, I'm not going to answer" -- Told to reporters after a rough game.

"Why buy good luggage? You only use it when you travel."

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." Giving directions to his house to Joe Garagiola.

"If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be." --How true.

"If you can't imitate him, don't copy him." To a Mets player when he was the manager, who was trying to imitate Frank Robinson's swing.

"Is he living?" "Is he living now?" --While playing a game of twenty questions.

"Pair up in threes." --Giving directions during spring training.

"Never answer an anonymous leter."

"You can observe a lot by watching."

"Only in America!" --When being told a Jewish mayor had been elected in Dublin, Ireland.

"The future ain't what it used to be."

--Jillsi