PDA

View Full Version : No. 1...in more than one way

meggie918
01-22-00, 03:40 PM
In 1978 I had the extreme pleasure of meeting Billy Martin. I was down in Baltimore visiting friends and we saw Billy, believe it or not, coming out of a cooking gadget store! I swear, it's true. I know there are a lot of people who would never have approached him, but I will never regret that we walked right up to him and asked if he would mind posing for a picture with us. (I was with a friend). He was really nice...a true gentleman.

bombergirl
01-22-00, 03:45 PM
That is great, meggie918!! I must admit that, being born in 1979, and not interested in baseball until the 1990s, I didn't know much about Billy when he was on this earth, and a lot of the stories I've heard/read have not painted the man in a very positive light. Nice to know that he was such a gentleman to you!

bomber "ah, monument park" girl

meggie918
01-23-00, 01:47 PM
Bombergirl...there is more to the story. We ran into Billy again in the hotel where the Yanks were staying (we were having dinner there)...he recognized us and invited us over to his table for drinks!! Yes, there were a lot of negative things written about him and tons of bad publicity, but at least my encounter with him was a pleasant one!