PDA

View Full Version : XFL!!??...

gsars5
01-28-01, 07:59 AM
I was wondering what everybody here thought about this new league. Does anyone know what the names of the teams are and where they play and what day the games are on? What is the name of the NY area team? I hope it isn't the WWF on a football field, but I'll take anything to hold me over until the season starts. :) I'm just not a fan of Hockey or Basketball so I'm hoping this might be something to watch.

#1PaFan
01-28-01, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I'll watch it out of curiosity. It will be interesting to see if Vegas gives lines for the games. If not, then it probably will just be an extension of the WWF.

Anyway, here's a site for the league:

http://www.xflboard.com/

The league might be worth watching just for the cheerleaders. :)

MrJack
01-28-01, 11:10 AM
I only know 2 things about the XFL.....There is an Orlando franchise called the "Rage", and there are no fair catches...Punt returners should have a bullseye on their jerseys. :lol: :lol: :lol:

#1PaFan
01-28-01, 11:21 AM
There's some cool rules here. Punts over 25 yards are like kickoffs in that the ball is live. There's no extra point kicks, teams have to run or pass for 1 pt. And in case of OT, both teams get the ball, similar to college. Cameras and microphones in the huddle.

It will be different.

kilrain7
01-28-01, 12:15 PM
Anything associated with Vince McMahon (scumbag)
is not allowed in my home so we won't be watching.

caliyanksfan
01-28-01, 02:56 PM
i think it'll be funny. i've never liked football but i'm not sure how much *real* football will be involved, anyways. plus, dick butkis--who can pass that up?

~~jl

chelle
01-28-01, 03:57 PM
I might watch, but I bet it'll be like WWF on a football field... not fun!

FresnoBob
01-28-01, 04:27 PM
No way am I wasting my time on Vince McMahon crap. Why waste your time watching minor league football in the middle of winter? If life is that boring, one should just slash his wrists and get it over with.

XZavirer
01-31-01, 06:02 AM
Whatever it is, I'm sure the XFL should not be viewing fare for children. I'm serious. I think kids these days are getting the wrong message about what sports are supposed to be about. The FL is about to lower the standard exponentially. I hope this thing fails miserably. But I doubt it.

Sillycon
01-31-01, 11:57 AM
I'm just going to ogle at the cheerleaders, thankyouverymuch...

caliyanksfan
01-31-01, 12:28 PM
XZ, talk about lowering standards! i just saw something about the new women's wrestling team or network or whatever it is.

gag!

~~jl

Jen!!!
02-01-01, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by caliyanksfan
i think it'll be funny. i've never liked football but i'm not sure how much *real* football will be involved, anyways. plus, dick butkis--who can pass that up?

~~jl

EXACTLY! Ha! I'll give it a whirl, how bad can it be? Oh, and I believe the New York/New Jersey team is called the Hitmen.

MrJack
02-03-01, 11:12 AM
Last year World Wrestling Federation president Vince McMahon announced the formation of a new, faster, tougher football league, the XFL. This week the XFL finally kicks off their first season. Here are the Top Ten differences fans are likely to see in this "pro-wrestling" version of football:

10. Dick Butkus leaves the front office and dons the pads to show the boys how football is really played.

9. Kicker maulings.

8. The XFL awards the league's official sponsorship to pain-
relievers Vicadin, Demerol, and the Hererra family's line of Brown Peruvian Heroine.

7. Suplex awarded a ten yard penalty.

6. Referees are commonly distracted by obnoxious players on
the side-lines while Personal Fouls are committed.

5. In the most dramatic post season in sports history, the
losing team is executed on the field after the game.

4. Stadium vendors selling actual teeth knocked out during
that day's game.

3. Naked wheel barrow racing during half-time.

2. In addition to helmet-cams, players will be equipped with jock strap-cams.

And the number 1 difference fans are going to see in the XFL:

1. Janet Reno becomes the league's leading running back.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Neila1215
02-03-01, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by MrJack

5. In the most dramatic post season in sports history, the
losing team is executed on the field after the game.

So, that should eliminate the XFL in about 7 years? I don't think it will last that long, but I love the "post-season spectacular" concept!!

caliyanksfan
02-03-01, 11:52 AM
LOL!

XZavirer
02-03-01, 04:11 PM
The fact that ESPN.com chooses to ignore the XFL speaks volumes, I think.

MrJack
02-03-01, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by XZavirer
The fact that ESPN.com chooses to ignore the XFL speaks volumes, I think.
It might have more to do with behind the scenes pressure from the NFL than football purist mentality.....All I know is, my son is anxiously awaiting it (he loves football in any form)....So I'm trying to avoid any contempt prior to investigation trappings....If it sucks I can turn it off...
I'm hopeful it will be OK and fill in some of the sports void until Opening Day.

MrJack
02-03-01, 07:56 PM
Here's my early XFL scouting report:

The scantily clad cheerleaders cavorting with the beer swilling fans seem to be getting more camera time than the football game itself.

MrJack
02-03-01, 09:05 PM
Somebody oughta inform the NY/NJ Hitmen that tackling is allowed.

Neila1215
02-03-01, 10:40 PM
I watched about 10 minutes of the Outlaws/Hitmen game. Just long enough to see the Hitmen's QB take a dive before he got hit, and then to see him acting like he had a concussion after being grabbed by the ankles. His head didn't even hit the ground. Is this being brought to us by the choreographers of professional wrestling? What a spectacular waste of time! I'm sorry I even gave up 10 minutes. Believe me, it won't happen again.

MrJack
02-03-01, 11:32 PM
Towards the end of the broadcast they switched to the Orlando/Chicago game....It looked like a better game, and ended with an unsuccessful hail mary pass that would've won the game.....It also appeared the cheerleaders were a key part of the broadcast.....This is America folks, the more cleavage and ass cheek they show, the better the ratings will be.

AmyInNYC
02-04-01, 01:49 AM
Well, I watched it, with one eye. Heck, I'm not a target of these advertisers anyway (I have no car, I don't drink beer, etc.) so what's the harm? The NY team isn't too talented & some of the gimmicks fell flat in the inaugural broadcast, but it generally was more fun than staring at blank screen woulda been. Or at the re-run of "Jazz."

The Hitmen's poor showing will severely hurt tix sales for the Meadowlands tho. I mean, when I had a car, my friends and I were season ticket holders for the fan-friendly WLAF NY/NY Knights, but it had a delightful spring/summer schedule and tix were practically free. Plus 4 years of college football at USC really spoiled me: I equate the sport with suntain lotion. No amount of free t-shirts could get me out to NJ this time of year!

bxny
02-04-01, 10:12 AM
I caught a few glimpses of the Hitmen/Outlaw game. I kept flipping back and forth between the Cheap Trick freeview on Direct-TV and the game. I did watch enough to hear Raven Tony Siragusa at halftime, in typical WWF fashion, criticize the Hitmen for their lack of effort. They trailed 19-0 at the time. Hmmmm..... is it coincidence that the past two games the Goose has been on the field the team that calls the Meadowlands home has failed to score an offensive touchdown? The cheerleaders came across as kind of slutty, NOT that there's anything wrong with slutty. They could stand to choreograph a few dance routines, they were all over the place. I could hardly decide which one to watch. They should leave the singing of Respect to Aretha. I have a feeling this league will be aroung for a while.

XZavirer
02-04-01, 07:40 PM
The level of football was about the same as Pop Warner League. I think this XFL will be over soon.

Jen!!!
02-05-01, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by XZavirer
The level of football was about the same as Pop Warner League. I think this XFL will be over soon.

We can only hope...how totally lame.

Chicks Dig the Long Ball
02-05-01, 06:26 AM
I was very disappointed after watching the first weekend of "football". I was very curious to see how this would all play out, because all of the ideas that Vince had seemed great to me. No fair catches, none of that protecting the QB crap that the NFl has, end-zone celebrations, etc etc etc. They all seemed cool.

Then the game comes on and the crap begins. My top 3 problems were:

1. What's with the lack of names on the back of jerseys?? Instead, players can put nicknames or phrases, like the one moron who had "He Hate Me" on the back of his jersey. How totally lame that is.

2. The interviews. I think the premise of interviewing a player during the game is a good one, but not right after they've run off teh field or been cracked in the head. They're holding microphones into guys who can't even make a sentence becayse they're out of breath.

3. The cameras. It looked like a high school class working the damn things. They're zoomed in during the play, changing angles while the ball is in the air. It was ridiculous.

Hopefully these problems will be corrected soon, especially that whatever you want on the back of your uniform rule. "He Hate Me". WTF is that?? Maybe he hates you because you put something retarted like that on the back of your shirt.

MrJack
02-05-01, 07:27 AM
I forgot to mention how awful Jesse Ventura (former WWF wrestler turned governor of Minnesota) was doing commentary during Hitman/Outlaw game....The upside is Dennis Miller can spend the summer telling himself "he sucks worse than I do".

Sillycon
02-05-01, 08:05 AM
The onfield cameraman was annoying as heck. I wanted to see him get plastered... :D

gsars5
02-05-01, 08:16 AM
I don't know, I didn't think it was all that bad, although it definitely needs some work. Those cheerleaders really looked a bit skanky, the talent is a bit thin, and maybe we are all a little too footballed-out for this thing to really take off. We will have to see but I don't think it will make it past this season if even that.

FresnoBob
02-05-01, 10:56 AM
I won't miss the XFL when it's gone, nor mourn its passing, but before we write the epitaph, how much did NBC give Vince McMahon to televise this travesty? As long as there is sufficient television revenue, the league will linger on.
Also--the XFL isn't football, it is an NBC made-for-TV entertainment show--no wonder ESPN chooses to ignore it (while Jay Marriotti of One-on-One has decided to launch a frontal attack on it).

#1PaFan
02-05-01, 04:58 PM
Well, all I can say is, the USFL was MUCH better. And that league sure didn't last too long.

Let's just hope that Vince keeps his damn hands out of baseball. :)

Nome
02-27-01, 07:53 AM
It won't be too long before the XFL is the "ex" XFL

Monica46
03-01-01, 07:31 PM
as far as i know, the NY/NJ team for the XFL is the Hitmen.... Yea, they DID pair us with jersey.

Lefty Gomez
03-01-01, 10:05 PM
The XFL is more a sideshow act than anything else. It's too bad because there are some talented ballplayers out there (a few anyway) but the talent is swamped by the over-the-top posturing that makes the WWF so uninteresting.

The tent is going to collapse on this circus very soon.

ChocolateGirl
03-02-01, 01:26 AM
I was watching Bob Costas sports show on HBO the other night and he said that the networks said that if the XFL ratings does not improve for the next month, it might be cancelled.

Well Good riddance. :o

FresnoBob said:

No way am I wasting my time on Vince McMahon crap. Why waste your time watching minor league football in the middle of winter? If life is that boring, one should just slash his wrists and get it over with.

Well Said Bob. I agree with you 100%!!!! :D