PDA

View Full Version : Groh Quits Jets for U.V.A. (come back Tuna!!)

yankoholics anonymous
12-30-00, 03:09 PM
http://graphics.nytimes.com/images/header/sports/sportsbanner.gif

December 30, 2000
Groh Quits Jets for U.V.A.

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS(NYT)

Al Groh, who coached the New York Jets for one season after taking over for Bill Parcells, is leaving the NFL team to replace George Welsh as coach at the University of Virginia.

Groh said returning to his roots in Charlottesville, Va., meant too much to him to turn down the job at his alma mater.

"I realize there will be some criticism of this, but only I know my heart," Groh said Saturday in a statement released by the Jets. "Too, this provides the type of long-term security and stability not commonly found in the NFL nowadays."

http://graphics.nytimes.com/images/2000/12/30/sports/30CND-GROH.1.jpg
Al Groh is leaving the Jets to take over the football program at the University of Virginia. The Jets went 9-7 this season and missed the playoffs for the second straight year.

Welsh retired at Virginia because of health reasons before the Oahu Bowl. The Cavaliers lost to Georgia 37-14 on Dec. 24 in Welsh's last game.

The Jets began the season with four straight victories but finished 9-7 and missed the playoffs. The Jets lost their last three games, needing to win just once to make the postseason.

Virginia athletic director Terry Holland had said the school would not announce a new coach until after Jan. 1. There was no immediate comment from the university on Saturday.

Ansky39
12-30-00, 03:50 PM
...poor guy...

at least he's getting a promotion up to a REAL football program ;)

Ansky39
12-31-00, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by yankoholics anonymous
Groh Quits Jets for U.V.A. (come back Tuna!!)

http://forums.bronx-bombers.com/upload/Ansky39123100105304charlie.gif

MAFIA
01-02-01, 07:55 AM
WHY don't THE JETS bring back KOTITE? LOL!!!!!

MrJack
01-02-01, 10:20 AM
Just wondering what everyone's opinion is:
Will the Jets hire a high profile assistant from another NFL team or go the retread route and hire a guy like Norv Turner, who has failed elsewhere? Saints aren't doing too bad with a new face getting his first head coaching job.

MAFIA
01-02-01, 10:31 AM
BILL COWHER alway's produces great coaches, I knew right when HASLET went there they would be a good team. AS for NORV TURNER, he is a good coach, the best thing for him was to get away from SNYDER and THE SKIN'S. JEFF GEORGE has never done nothing, when healthy BRAD JOHNSON is an excellent QB, maybe the JETS should look at getting him for qb, because VINNY cannot lead this team, sorry I followed VINNY in college in the big game's, I remember when MIAMI should of rolled over PENN ST. in 87 but VINNY was horrible, he can throw up the passing yard's etc. but the game against BALTIMORE over 500 yard's against the best defense, they should of won, you all know why they lost.

allybear
01-02-01, 02:34 PM
Vinny will be here one more year to give Chad Pennington a year to learn and refine his skills. Chad (the name of the year) will be the QB of the future, he should be the real deal, but there's no use sending him out to get roughed up and lose his confidence early (see: Ken O'Brien).

I hope Bill P. comes back, otherwise, I think they should get a proven coach, most of the coordinators who have been given coaching jobs prove why they are good coordinators. Plus, the Jets have a veteran team and need a veteran leader.

I just hope that whoever coaches them decides to stick around for a few years.

MrJack
01-02-01, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by allybear

I just hope that whoever coaches them decides to stick around for a few years.
I agree, it would be nice having some coaching stability....However, after watching all the whoring athletes chase every last dollar, I cannot fault Al Groh for wanting the job security of the college ranks as well as being home amongst family......Good luck Al !!

Stick Michael
01-02-01, 06:19 PM
Once again the editors of every local newspaper missed the opportunity to come up with a creative headline. Instead of "Groh Calls It Quits" wouldn't you rather see:

"Groh Away" or
"Groh F**k Yourself!" or
"Groh Quits...Just Like Jets!" or maybe even
"Just When He Was Starting to Groh on Us..."

It's a damn shame...that's a waste of perfectly good newspaper space!

James

patrick.o
01-03-01, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by MAFIA
JEFF GEORGE has never done nothing
Not true, Maf. George has whined a lot. He's also done a good job of alienating those around him, pissing off coaches, and underachieving.