PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought....

Big_E
04-23-03, 02:32 PM
For some reason, I was thinking about the tiebreakers today. The current set up, as I understand it:

Postseason Structure

In the event of a tie for any position, the winner will be decided a) by record head-to-head during the regular season; b) by points average over the whole season; c) by points average head-to-head.

I was thinking...instead of the above...if there's a tie that can't be broken simply by head-to-head results (which would only be w/in the same division), why not have a one-game playoff? We have a bye week between the end of the regular season and the beginning of the playoffs anyway. We can use that week to settle any tiebreakers if necessary. Especially if the tie is for a division title, and the loser of the tiebreaker wouldn't win the wild card, I think if they split the regular-season series, a one-game (lasting all 7 days) tiebreaker would be reasonable.

Just a thought....

terry14420
04-23-03, 02:36 PM
Hey, Big E that signature line by Alan Jackson reeks of Karl Marx.

Saxmania
04-23-03, 03:53 PM
That's actually the way the league is structured - and the way it turned out last year, because all five Mantle Division teams tied at 8-10 for the pennant. (We had a five-way playoff!) I think the idea was to decide things like who played whom, rather than who actually got into the playoffs at all.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Big_E
04-23-03, 06:47 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/ny3/gildaradner/images/litella.JPG