PDA

View Full Version : Fielding stats

Bozidar
04-15-03, 09:20 AM
Who else thinks that adding fielding stats to the game could be interesting?

I talked to a guy a couple of weeks ago who uses it in his league as one of his 10X10 stats.

Putouts/assists? Maybe 1 point for an assist and 1/3 a point for a putout? Pickoffs? Double plays could really help bolster the points of middle infielders. 2 points each? Even a point is something.

What are your thoughts?

This is obviously for next year, and we'd have to find a site that tracks fielding stats (any ideas?)

Big_E
04-15-03, 09:44 AM
Another huge headache I think. :evil:

How many negative points for an error? What about passed balls? Caught stealings? Catching someone in a rundown could add a slew of points to an infield.

Bozidar
04-15-03, 09:47 AM
Well with this one we'd have to let the site handle the stats, not a manual process.

If a catcher nails someone, give him a point.
If someone commits an error, -2.

I'd leave off passed balls simply because catchers aren't very highly valued right now, and there's no reason to make em worse.

Big_E
04-15-03, 09:53 AM
I can't imagine the formula I'd have to use to evaluate points...it's already at:

=SUM(B2+C2+(D2*2)+(E2*3)+(F2*4)+G2+(H2/2)+I2+(-1*J2)+K2+L2+(-1*M2))

For hitters and

=SUM((B2*2)+(C2*10)+(D2*-5)+(E2*10)+(F2*6)+(G2*-0.5)+(-1*H2)+(I2*-0.5)+(J2*-0.5)+(K2*0.5)+(L2*-0.5)+(M2*-0.5)+(N2*-2)+(O2*2))

for pitchers, assuming we'd include fielding stats for both....:uhh:

Hitman23
04-15-03, 09:59 AM
I like the idea. :D I was actually hoping we were when it started, just to make things interesting. I think it would make things very interesting.

Bozidar
04-15-03, 09:59 AM
that's the beauty of it.. you don't have to do all that ;)

Big_E
04-15-03, 10:03 AM
I use those formulas for player evals. If someone offers me a trade I can pop their stats into excel and it spits out the points values of the players involved. I was commenting on how much longer the formula would get with putouts, assists, pickoffs, errors... :rolleyes:

terry14420
04-15-03, 10:07 AM
Huh?

Bozidar
04-15-03, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Big_E
I use those formulas for player evals. If someone offers me a trade I can pop their stats into excel and it spits out the points values of the players involved. I was commenting on how much longer the formula would get with putouts, assists, pickoffs, errors... :rolleyes: Yeah, i know.. i was just busting your chops :)
Yeah, you'd have to gather more stats.. or just use your noodle :)

Hey, i don't have a problem making that stuff harder on you :D :lol: No skin off my nose!!

Big_E
04-15-03, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Bozidar
Yeah, i know.. i was just busting your chops :)
Yeah, you'd have to gather more stats.. or just use your noodle :)

Hey, i don't have a problem making that stuff harder on you :D :lol: No skin off my nose!!

Hmmm, I wonder if it's too late to object to Joe Kennedy for Carlos Guillen? :P

Bozidar
04-15-03, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Big_E
Hmmm, I wonder if it's too late to object to Joe Kennedy for Carlos Guillen? :P :lol: :lol: No, but it's close!!

SanFrANSKY
04-15-03, 02:11 PM
I think the pain in the butt of tracking defensive stats (many of which are harder to find) makes it unattractive.

Bozidar
04-15-03, 02:15 PM
Phil,
For this to work we'd have to have a site that made that easier. That's a given.

Saxmania
04-15-03, 03:14 PM
The other thing is that owners will tend to look for players who qualify for one position while actually playing at a less error-prone one - e.g. Phil Nevin last year moving from 3rd to 1st, Craig Biggio this year moving from 2nd to CF. Personally, I am neutral about this - while in theory it's a great idea, I see a lot of trouble trying to balance it, because the concept is so unfamiliar. And if Ansky doesn't like penalising losses, think what a wobbly he'll throw with errors.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

SanFrANSKY
04-15-03, 04:31 PM
Hm...well, I don't know dick about defensive stats in a fantasy league but I guess I could learn. I'll vote "neutral."

BTW, a side effect of D stats is that the DH's will rise in value. :)

patrick.o
04-15-03, 05:31 PM
I'm not a big fan of real life defensive stats, so I can't imagine I'll be too easy to convince to vote for fantasy ones. Errors are too subjective and putouts have too much to do with the rest of the team for my tatse. But I'm always willing to listen to ideas and to accept the will of the majority.

And then complain bitterly afterward :P ;)

Bozidar
04-15-03, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by SanFrANSKY
BTW, a side effect of D stats is that the DH's will rise in value. :) That's just not true. DH's will fall off. The amount of putouts and assists that players make will mean more points for batters.

Frankly, i think this gives a better representation of a players value. A player makes his money with the bat, but he'd better know how to use the glove. For players up the middle, CF, 2B, SS, C, this will add value because those are positions that tend to be more defensively important, and i hope this will add to those players value.

Also, i think this emphasizes that players are out there 6 days a week.. working both sides of the ball. It will unbalance the value of batters vs pitchers -- but that's the point. A batter/fielder puts in a lot more time.

anyway, doesn't look like anyone's too crazy about the idea. I thought it would be fun, but it looks like it would be too much for most folks. Oh well :)

BANZAIMATSUI
04-19-03, 10:30 PM
trust me, you guys don't want fielding stats. I have them in another yahoo league, and I think its retarded. The league sucks anyway, one of the categories is actually pitcher appearances. Can you imagine that you get points just for showing up. They wanted to incorporate middle men, duh why not holds. Anyways fielding hasnt hurt me, but it just doesnt seem right in a fantasy game.