PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a rookie?

patrick.o
03-11-03, 11:49 PM
Okay, so here we are less than 4 days from draft time and I'm woefully underprepared. I've been playing fantasy football and hockey for years, but this is my first foray into the wonderful world of fantasy baseball. Could I solicit just a wee bit of advice?

The way our league is structured who is a better value, a middle of the road pitcher or a middle of the road batter?

A top gun pitcher or a top gun batter?

How important are good closers?

And most important, how well does preranking work? If my next highest ranked guy is a 1B but I already have a 1B but no SS, which will Yahoo pick? I ask because I'm not sure if I'll be able to make the draft and I'm a bit afraid that Yahoo might draft some crappy player to fill a roster spot while there are still good players at positions I've already filled who would be great to have on my bench. Anybody ever use preranking before?

I don't expect you sharks to let me in on all your secrets, but if you could find it in your hearts to give me some clue about the above questions it'd be much appreciated. :)

(Btw, did we ever decide how much is is to play? )

Coney36
03-12-03, 01:57 AM
I think it's $10, but I wasn't sure, so I paid $20. Oh well. :)

Anyway, I would tell you, but I really don't have a strategy in drafting. I'm even worse in pre-ranking for autodrafts - I just pick the top few guys I really want and then randomly click people who seem worthwhile onto the list. Strangely, that hasn't worked out too bad yet.

I really haven't nitpick on the point system yet (nor do I really ever do that), but I pick pitchers, just because I like pitchers. Most of the time I just pick from instinct, if that makes any sense at all.

Okay, so I know I'm no help at all here...:lol:

Saxmania
03-12-03, 07:17 AM
A few answers:

It's $10, payable to Jim. And no, Coney, I won't double all your points. ;)

My advice about drafting is mainly gleaned from articles I've read, but I'd suggest you pick the best player available, regardless of position, for the first five rounds or so. If everyone else is grabbing starters, don't be afraid to draft Bonds, because he's just that good. If you end up with three stud OFs after four rounds, that's okay - it doesn't matter if your points aren't evenly spread across your team, and you can always trade one or two.

Afterwards, look to achieve balance. Make sure you snaffle up any bargains that you think have been ignored, but don't forsake your rotation (I'd aim to have a minimum of three SPs by round 12, but that's just me). Don't be afraid to punt a position for a while if there's no good deal available - you can get by with a Mendoza-liner at one or even two spots. Also, avoid panicking if all the top closers or catchers are going quickly. If you get caught up in a rush to get the "name" players, you'll miss the chance to take the better players at other positions.

Finally, draft for the future. Even if you're not planning to come back next year, your players are more attractive as trade bait during the season if they have value for the 2004 draft. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't sign Randy Johnson or Roger Clemens, just that you should maybe bump up players like Nick Johnson and C.C. Sabathia. Even if they're not awesome now, they'll have added value if you can get them cheap in this year's draft.

Example: I draft Mark Texeiria (sp.?) in round 14. He's not necessarily anything special for 2003, but if I keep him for the next few years, I could be drafting him in 2005 in round 10 while he puts up .300/35/110, because of the way the keeper rules work. In other words, it's like locking up in a long-term contract early.

Hope this helps a little - I'll find out more about the pre-ranking system and get back to you.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Bozidar
03-12-03, 08:05 AM
Find guys who have some bullpen work, who're going to be actual starters (wakefield) ;) more innings, more outs, more points!!! MUAAHHAAHAHAH!!