PDA

View Full Version : RIP Chris Antley, 2-time Kentucky Derby Winner

Superunknown
12-03-00, 08:51 PM
I was devastated to read this in The Daily Racing Form today. :( I was a fan of Antley's when he rode in New York and New Jersey. When he came back last year and won the Derby and the Preakness aboard Charismatic, I was so happy for him. I'll never forget the Belmont Stakes, when Charismatic broke down in the homestretch and Antley jumped off the horse and held its leg immobile until the ambulance came. That brought tears to my eyes because it illustrated Antley's concern for the animal. I rooted very hard for him to overcome his problems and once again become a champion rider, but it wasn't meant to be, I guess. :(

Rest in peace, Chris. I hope they get the SOB who did this to you. :mad:

Jockey Chris Antley found murdered
By Steve Andersen

Jockey Chris Antley, who rode the winners of two Kentucky Derbys, was found dead at his home in Pasadena, Calif., on Saturday night, the victim of a head wound, Pasadena police announced Sunday. Antley was 34.

Pasadena police said he was found at 11 p.m. Saturday by a family friend. The cause of death remained under investigation as of Sunday morning and no motive for the killing had been determined, Pasadena police said. The case was being handled by homicide detectives.

Antley, 34, rode Strike the Gold (1991) and Charismatic (1999) to victories in the Kentucky Derby. The win aboard Charismatic came just two months after he resumed riding following a year off due to weight and personal problems.

Charismatic later won the Preakness Stakes and finished third in the Belmont Stakes in a bid for the Triple Crown, suffering an injury in the stretch. Antley's quick action past the finish was widely praised for aiding the colt's recovery.

A native of South Carolina, Antley had not ridden since last March when battles with weight forced him to quit riding only a month after a four-month break he started after the 1999 Breeders' Cup. At the time, Antley said he needed a break after several months of reducing and the excitement surrounding Charismatic's Triple Crown bid.

As recently as May, he said he hoped to resume riding in the summer, but never followed through with the plan.

Antley was married earlier this year to the former Natalie Jowett, who worked for ABC Sports in 1999. The two met during Charismatic's campaign for the Triple Crown.
A native of South Carolina, Antley rode his first winner at Pimlico in 1983 and was one of the East Coast's leading riders in the 1980s. He led the nation in winners in 1985 with 469 and led the New York circuit in 1989 with 234 victories.

On Oct. 31, 1987, he rode nine winners - four at Aqueduct in the afternoon and five at The Meadowlands that evening. Nicknamed "The Antman", Antley had been an active participant in the stock market in recent years, and for a while in 1999 distributed a stock market newsletter known as "The Antman Report".
http://www.drf2000.com/home/headline/headline.html

=====================================

http://www.drf2000.com/home/images2/charismatic_preakness.jpg
Chris Antley aboard Charismatic, after winning the 1999 Preakness Stakes

Butnud
12-05-00, 02:42 AM
Man, my heart goes out to Antley and his family. I know what it feels liek to lose someone very special and close!