PDA

View Full Version : Championship Correlation (C)

Bozidar
01-06-03, 09:45 AM
1923 - Wally Schang
1927 - Pat Collins
1928 - Johnny Grabowski
1932 - Bill Dickey
1936 - Bill Dickey
1937 - Bill Dickey
1938 - Bill Dickey
1941 - Bill Dickey
1943 - Bill Dickey
1947 - Yogi Berra
1949 - Yogi Berra
1950 - Yogi Berra
1951 - Yogi Berra
1952 - Yogi Berra
1953 - Yogi Berra
1956 - Yogi Berra
1958 - Yogi Berra
1961 - Elston Howard (Yogi Berra)
1962 - Elston Howard (Yogi Berra)
1977 - Thurman Munson
1978 - Thurman Munson
1996 - Joe Girrardi
1998 - Jorge Posada
1999 - Jorge Posada
2000 - Jorge Posada

There seems to be some correlation here between WS runs, and certain backstops.. sadly, our 70's run was cut short. (No slight intended to Elston Howard, he had some great years, but I just don't consider him 'one of the guys'.)

Jersey Yankee
01-06-03, 09:52 AM
Boz, what exactly does "one of the guys" mean???

What does a name in bold mean?

I thought that Ellie caught in '60/'61/'62, while Yogi played OF. So why is Yogi in bold? Why is Girardi not in bold?

Bozidar
01-06-03, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Jersey Yankee
Boz, what exactly does "one of the guys" mean???

What does a name in bold mean?

I thought that Ellie caught in '60/'61/'62, while Yogi played OF. So why is Yogi in bold? Why is Girardi not in bold? it means one of our, what i would call, great catchers. I put Yogi in parens in 61 and 62 to recognize that Ellie caught, but Yogi was still on the team

Jersey Yankee
01-06-03, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Bozidar
it means one of our, what i would call, great catchers. I put Yogi in parens in 61 and 62 to recognize that Ellie caught, but Yogi was still on the team OK, I gotcha. I'm still wondering about Jorge in bold then, since his blocking of the plate ... well, leaves me wishing he'd forget that accident he'd had in the minors, but that's already been hashed and rehashed over 1,000x.

Either case, I've heard that Ellie was very good defensively, so at least he was worth something. :)

Bozidar
01-06-03, 10:08 AM
yeah, he was worth something. I said "no slight intended" because i didn't want to slight him. He was an all-star, and had at least one VERY good year.. (61, i think). i just don't see him as part of the "dynasty" link, the way Dickey, Berra, Thurman, and hopefully Posada are..

I agree that jorge should be better defensively..but he makes up a lot with that bat of his..

Jersey Yankee
01-06-03, 10:13 AM
Brian, I'm still a bit "iffy" on having Jorge in bold. If being a part of the current "dynasty", yes, he has been the catcher most responsible f/this. OTOH, the others, especially Dickey & Yogi, are in the HOF and deservedly so. I wouldn't put Jorge at that level.

When I think great catchers, two names pop up first: Bench and Berra (in alpha order). I can't see Posada mentioned in the same sentence, but his bat does certainly help.

Sixty one
01-06-03, 11:16 AM
With all due respect for your list, I would definitely put Ellie's name in bold letters. I saw him play many times and thought he was one of the best offensive/defensive catchers of his time. If he had not had Berra ahead of him, he would have come close to being a Hall of Famer! Don't forget the time that he was in his prime there were few black ballplayers in the majors, and because he learned to play the outfield and first base his value to the Yanks was tremendous. He would have been a star with most other major league teams of his day! Please reconsider your list and put him in bold print!:D :NY: :NY: :NY: :NY: :NY:

Knuckles
01-07-03, 01:55 PM
I guess I do understand why Jake Gibbs, Rick Cerone, Butch Wynegar, Bob Geren, Don Slaught, Ron Hassey, Matt Nokes, and Mike Stanley are missing. I did have fun compiling that (very incomplete and not very chronological) list though.

YANKEE BASEBALL!!!

LouGehrig
01-08-03, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Bozidar

There seems to be some correlation here between WS runs, and certain backstops.

Many things correlate but that does not necessarily mean there is a cause and effect.

Why not correlate Charlie Silvera with Yankees World Championships? Even better, how about Ralph Houk and Yankees World Championships?

Elston Howard was the fourth best catcher in Yankees history, behind Bill Dickey, Yogi, and Thurman.

Statistics often tell only part of the story. Howard was a better defensive catcher than Berra. Read accounts from the 1950s in the old newspapers or ask Ralph Houk the next time you see him. Yogi will give one of his great answers, which is why Yogi is great.

Howard was one of the greatest clutch hitters we had. See Game 7, 1958 when he singled through the middle off Lew Burdette to drive in Yogi, who had doubled with two outs and no one on in the eighth inning at Milwaukee. Yogi scored, Carey reached on a single to third, Moose homered, and we won, 6-2 after being down, three games to one.

Ellie hit a clutch homerun in the ninth inning to tie game 4 of the 1957 WS, but Coleman didn't charge an Eddie Mathews ground ball to second, Mathews beat it out, Aaron and Adcock singled, and we lost, 1-0 in Game 5 and lost that WS.

In 1961, Moose and Ellie got us both runs in a 2-0 win over O'Toole in Game 1.

Howard was one of the game's most feared clutch hitters, exceeded only by Yogi.

Ellie isn't just "one of us." Ellie is the Yankees. He represents all that is great about the Yankees, baseball, and us. Yes, there still is good around. And Ellie was great. Jorge WHOOO? Right.

Sixty one
01-09-03, 12:55 PM
Great answer on Ellie! I couldn't have said it better!:NY: :NY: :NY:

CF#5
01-09-03, 02:47 PM
There is more continuity at catcher than there is in centerfield or rightfield.

While Posada is probably the 5th best catcher in team history, the dropoff from 4 to 5 is astronomical.