PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Radio Station -- Sick Prank to Kyle's Wife

b-ball-lunachick
10-03-02, 08:51 PM
Can I ask what the hell goes through people's minds? And I thought the D-Backs playing New York, New York after a loss was bad...this radio station in Phoenix is worse...I wonder what the inappropriate remarks were...

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stl/news/stl_news.jsp?ymd=20021003&content_id=146216&vkey=ds2002news&fext=.jsp

Disgusting: Cardinals officials confirmed that a local Phoenix radio station called Flynn Kile, the widow of Darryl Kile, in her hotel room in Scottsdale and made inappropriate remarks. Mrs. Kile has stayed out of the public eye for most of the time since her husband's death in June, but she was in attendance for Game 1 of the NLDS.

Carissa
10-03-02, 08:59 PM
That is twisted.

Gringaloca
10-03-02, 09:00 PM
That is pretty crude...but what do you expect from a "snake"..??..slimy bastards...:D

Sascha
10-03-02, 09:08 PM
Umm, I'm not that curious and I really appreciate her staying out of the media... but when they say disgusting and inappropriate remarks... I'd somehow like to know what remarks... because people's opinions about how inappropriate and disgusting a remark can be very different..

DJeter1287
10-03-02, 09:13 PM
That's disgusting. That's all I can think to say.

RIP Darryl.

smr15
10-03-02, 09:13 PM
Can you think of any good reason for a Phoenix radio station DJ to call Mrs. Kile?

I can't.

Superunknown
10-03-02, 09:17 PM
I've just found a new reason to root for the Cardinals to slaughter the Snakes.

Gringaloca
10-03-02, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Superunknown
I've just found a new reason to root for the Cardinals to slaughter the Snakes.

Amen...like we needed one....:lol: A Johnson loss..and now Schilling, too..how ya like 'em now, Coangelo??...:D

1TonHumanHamsterWheel
10-03-02, 09:41 PM
As if we needed another reason to root against the one-hit wonders... Here's hoping the Cards complete the sweep on Saturday, and knock out the organization that can't represent itself with any class.

nybabygurl2
10-03-02, 10:18 PM
That is just terrible. Heres to Tino and the Cards. :gulp:

jroll
10-03-02, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by smr15
Can you think of any good reason for a Phoenix radio station DJ to call Mrs. Kile?

I can't.

That was exactly what I was going to say. So I'll just say ditto.

Luvtino
10-03-02, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by smr15

I can't.

Neither can I. I guess she and their children haven't been through enough. :mad: :(

Superunknown
10-04-02, 01:21 AM
Here's the story. This DJ sounds like a real creep.

Radio DJ pulls crude prank on Cardinals pitcher's widow

Jim Gintonio
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 3, 2002 04:23 PM

It was a crude and tasteless stunt, but no action will be taken against a disc jockey from KUPD-FM who called the widow of former St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Darryl Kile at her Phoenix hotel room and asked if she had a date for Thursday's game.

Flynn Kile reported the phone call to Cardinals manager Tony La Russa, who relayed the information to Diamondbacks president Rich Dozer.

Chuck Artigue, the market manager for the Sandusky Group, which owns six radio stations in the Phoenix market, said the prank "was in terribly bad taste," but that no action would taken against DJ Beau Duran.

"He was just being clever, he thought," Artigue said.

Artigue said he talked to both Major League Baseball and Dozer to apologize. He said he explained the situation

"It was out of line," Dozer said during the game Thursday. "He should not have said what he said . . . I was mortified."

According to Artigue, Duran apparently has a problem "understanding good taste from bad."

Artigue said the disc jockey told Flynn Kile that " . . . we saw you on TV the other night, and you're very attractive. You're hot. Are you going to the game today?"

He said that when she said she would be at Bank One Ballpark, Duran said, "Do you have a date?"

After saying goodbye, Flynn Kile hung up, Artigue said.

Darryl Kile died unexpectedly on June 22 in Chicago.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/1003kile03-ON.html

Flashfire
10-04-02, 01:45 AM
That guy should be fired, if for no other reason than because he's an ignorant twit with no common sense. I'd like to say I can't believe someone had the bad taste to do this, but unfortunately it doesn't surprise me.

jojos_2
10-04-02, 02:50 AM
How 'effing messed up.

Afu-Ra
10-04-02, 03:31 AM
That's sickening. All I can think of.

Bozidar
10-04-02, 07:42 AM
I'm amazed. I hope some of the St.Louis cards pay this guy a visit...

LilChief
10-04-02, 08:44 AM
What a sicko! I think something should be done, I just don't know what.
An apology to MLB and the Snakes Prez from the DJ's manager doesnt cut it for me. This jerk should have to publicly apologize to Flynn Kile and the Cards! He should be punished by his employer. He, he, he should be....AUGH... I can't even type what I'd like done to this moron!

BTW, I think Mrs Kile DID have a date for Thursdays game, and her date is attending ALL the games with the Cards!

RIP Darryl...

smr15
10-04-02, 09:18 AM
What a wimp this DJ is.

You want to play "shock jock" ... and you pick as your victim a widow of a baseball player? Not some celeb who might be on a more even footing as far as being "fair game"??
Wow. What a big man you are..... you really showed HER, huh?

You must have balls the size of peanuts, you sick s.o.b.

Cowardly Bastard.

LilChief
10-04-02, 09:37 AM
He's on the air NOW, and the Radio stations website gives a link to email him. I've got the email form open, ready to type, I just can't decide what I want to say to him.....GGRRRRRRRRRRRRR>>>>>
Anybody want to join me?

LilChief
10-04-02, 09:42 AM
Ugh, I emailed him. I'm so mad about this, all I could think of to say was

Hope you're proud of yourself, Picking on a woman who is recently and unexpectedly widowed. Disgraceful

staticm
10-04-02, 09:48 AM
i think what's worse.. is that his bosses are going to do NOTHING about it...

LilChief
10-04-02, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by staticm
i think what's worse.. is that his bosses are going to do NOTHING about it...

I agree! "He was just being clever, he thought." ?????
They really should do something PUBLICLY, as they are making it appear that they condone his behavior!

Go ahead gang, email him and see how he likes being "harrassed" a little... :evil: :evil:

LaDeeDa
10-04-02, 10:07 AM

Chuck Artigue...said the prank "was in terribly bad taste," but that no action would taken against DJ Beau Duran.

According to Artigue, Duran apparently has a problem "understanding good taste from bad."

"He was just being clever, he thought," Artigue said.

Translated: "He gets us ratings, so we'll keep him employed." :mad:

Carissa
10-04-02, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Bozidar
I'm amazed. I hope some of the St.Louis cards pay this guy a visit... They want to...

DJs harass Kile widow
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/24210p-22919c.html

The Cardinals may have left Arizona with a 2-0 lead, but that couldn't quell their anger over a radio stunt performed at the expense of Darryl Kile's widow, Flynn.

Yesterday morning, disc jockeys from a Phoenix FM radio station called the hotel room of Flynn Kile, telling her she looked "hot" and asked if she needed a date to the game. Flynn, whose husband died on June 22, ended the call, then called Cards skipper Tony LaRussa.

"Whoever is responsible for that should suffer severe and dire consequences," LaRussa said. "And if we could get our hands on them, we would deal with it physically. We'd (mess) them up."

"What those deejays did, it shows you the quality of the people they have out here," reliever Steve Kline said. "You do that to Flynn Kile, and you have no heart, no class, no guts. Picking on a player is one thing. But to play a prank on a woman who just lost her husband? We won't forget that, ever. That's just a little extra motivation for the boys in here. You don't mess with Flynn."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Radio DJ stoops to committing prank on Kile
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press
http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2002/s/2002/1003/1440987.html

PHOENIX -- St. Louis manager Tony La Russa is irate over a Phoenix-area disc jockey who called the widow of Cardinals pitcher Darryl Kile and asked if she had a date for Thursday's playoff game.

Flynn Kile hung up the phone after KUPD-FM radio personality Beau Duran asked her the question in a call to her Phoenix hotel room, The Arizona Republic reported on its Web site Thursday night.

Chuck Artigue, the market manager for the Sandusky Group which owns KUPD, said the prank "was in terribly bad taste'' but no action would be taken against Duran.

However, La Russa was upset about the situation.

"I'm vehement in saying that whoever is responsible should suffer serious and dire consequences,'' La Russa said. "If we (the Cardinals) could get our hands on them, we would deal with them physically. It was so brutal that something should happen to them. I hope whoever was responsible gets nailed.''

Artigue said he talked to both major league baseball officials and Arizona Diamondbacks president Rich Dozer to apologize.

Darryl Kile, 33, was found dead in his bed at the team's hotel in Chicago on June 22. An autopsy showed he died from a blockage of the arteries supplying the heart.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Redbirds seeing red over prank
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/2002/postseason/news/2002/10/03/phoenix_dj_ap/

PHOENIX (AP) -- St. Louis manager Tony La Russa is irate after a Phoenix-area disc jockey called Cardinals pitcher Darryl Kile's widow and asked if she had a date for Thursday's game.

Flynn Kile hung up the phone after KUPD FM's Beau Duran called her Phoenix hotel room.

Chuck Artigue is the marketing manager for the Sandusky Group, which owns KUPD. He says the prank was in bad taste, but no action will be taken against Duran.

Artigue said he talked to Major League Baseball officials and Arizona Diamondbacks president Rich Dozer to apologize.

But La Russa isn't satisfied. He says if the Cardinals themselves could contact those responsible, "We would deal with them physically."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cards irate over Phoenix DJ's prank on Kile's widow
http://foxsports.lycos.com/content/view?contentId=693410

Associated Press
Oct. 4, 2002 2:03 a.m.

PHOENIX (AP) St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa was irate over a Phoenix-area disc jockey who called Darryl Kile's widow and asked if she had a date for Thursday's playoff game.

Flynn Kile hung up the phone after KUPD-FM radio's Beau Duran called her Phoenix hotel room, The Arizona Republic reported on its Web site Thursday night.

Chuck Artigue, the market manager for the Sandusky Group, which owns KUPD, said the prank "was in terribly bad taste" but no action would be taken against Duran.

Artigue said he talked to major league baseball officials and Arizona Diamondbacks president Rich Dozer to apologize.

A call by The Associated Press to the station on Thursday night was answered by a man who did not identify himself and referred all questions to the station manager on Friday.

"I'm vehement in saying that whoever is responsible should suffer serious and dire consequences," La Russa said. "If we could get our hands on them, we would deal with them physically. It was so brutal that something should happen to them. I hope whoever was responsible gets nailed."

Kile was found dead in his bed at the team's hotel in Chicago on June 22. An autopsy showed the 33-year-old pitcher died from blocked coronary arteries.

Bozidar
10-04-02, 10:46 AM
Lets have Piazza and some of his bath house buddies go take care of them, and "nail" them as LaRussa suggests :)

Carissa
10-04-02, 11:11 AM
Phoenix DJs harass Kile's widow and Benes
By Joe Strauss and
Rick Hummel
Of the Post-Dispatch
10/04/2002 05:42 AM
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/Sports/Cardinals/E820C5FEB2EBF44986256C4800182356?OpenDocument&Headline=Phoenix%20DJs%20harass%20Kile's%20widow%20and%20Benes

PHOENIX -- The Cardinals contacted Major League Baseball security Thursday morning after at least one player and the widow of pitcher Darryl Kile were harassed by a local radio station.

During its morning drive segment, FM station KUPD (http://www.98kupd.com/) held an impromptu rally across the street from the team's north Phoenix hotel. Led by a pair of shock jocks, a group of people followed pitcher Andy Benes to a nearby coffee shop while chanting "Benes Sucks! Benes Sucks!" The rally continued while Benes and two friends remained inside the establishment. When the party emerged, a station employee put a cell phone to Benes' head in an attempt to get him to go on the air.

Benes suggested the station instead call Diamondbacks lefthander Randy Johnson, saying, "Why don't you wake up Randy and tell him he sucks? We beat him 12-2."

Hotel security tried to have the rally dispersed but were told by police the request had to come from an adjoining office complex being used as a staging ground.

While the rally continued, the radio personalities phoned the team hotel and were put through to the room of Flynn Kile and spoke to her on air. The interview ended when disc jockey Beau Duran asked Kile's widow if she needed a date to the game.

"People are entitled to do what they want to do but, in my opinion, this crossed the line," Benes said.

Benes and numerous players from both clubs were livid over the "prank" played on Flynn Kile.

"If you ask me, the guy who asked her that should lose his job," Cardinals reliever Dave Veres said.

"Whoever is responsible should suffer serious and dire consequences," said Cardinals manager Tony La Russa. "If we could get our hands on him ... I mean, that is so brutal, that something really significant should happen to him."

News of the phone call spread quickly through the team, which had enjoyed spending time with Flynn Kile since she and her three children had moved from St. Louis to suburban San Diego shortly after her husband's June 22 death. Kile's agent, Barry Axelrod, notified the club that Flynn was not prepared to grant interviews. However, the radio station's call went unchecked.

Chuck Artigue, a manager for the radio station, told the Arizona Republic that the prank "was in terribly bad taste" but that no action would be taken against the disc jockey, Duran.

Artigue said Duran told Flynn Kile in the broadcast phone call that "we saw you on TV the other night, and you're very attractive. You're hot. Are you going to the game today?"

Artigue said that Duran then asked, "Do you have a date?" After saying goodbye, Flynn Kile hung up.

Cardinals officials said they have left dealings with the radio station to the Diamondbacks, who insisted that they will continue to seek action.

Send e-mail to Beau Duran and his "Morning Sickness" show: morningsickness@98kupd.com or beau@98kupd.com

YankeeFan00
10-04-02, 11:21 AM
I never cease to be amazed at the immense stupidity of some people. Who would think something like that is funny? It's completely disrespectful and tasteless, I'm disgusted.

yeahimweird
10-04-02, 11:41 AM
You bet your ass I'm sending an e-mail.

That's disgusting.

~Tracy~

wexy
10-04-02, 11:48 AM
There is a difference between sick humor and meaness.
That is just being mean,

The guy is an asshole.

jroll
10-04-02, 12:22 PM
Thank you again Howard Stern for all you've done for our culture.

Bozidar
10-04-02, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by jroll
Thank you again Howard Stern for all you've done for our culture. not for nothing, but that's unfair.

Howard, while he does rub a lot of people the wrong way, does execute his comedy with some level of moral standard. He was strong in his rebuking of the idiots Opey and Anthony. I'm sure, though i haven't listened to him today, that if this story was brought up he'd be equally outraged.

I've been a listener of his for a while.. and he's not out to hurt people. These guys obviously were.

Free speech is free speech.. it's not howard's fault that folx copy him but don't have the sense to restrain themselves.

Rocketman
10-04-02, 12:30 PM
I just sent the most mean letter anyone has ever written. And the best part is, I wrote it pretending to be a fan of theshow, so he actually might take a look at it. I can't wait for a response!

NYYFAN
10-04-02, 12:39 PM
Unfortunately, the response he's getting, is what he wanted in the first place...

Mr. Mxylsplk
10-04-02, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Rocketman
I just sent the most mean letter anyone has ever written. And the best part is, I wrote it pretending to be a fan of theshow, so he actually might take a look at it. I can't wait for a response!
Unless you really enjoy form letters, don't hold your breath.

Carissa
10-04-02, 03:42 PM
http://www.98kupd.com/temp/kile/kile-splash.gif

b-ball-lunachick
10-04-02, 03:48 PM
they can call it an error in judgment all they want but many people lose their jobs over those errors...wonder who this guy knows...or how much money he makes for that station...sad...

Bozidar
10-04-02, 03:50 PM
Didn't sound much like an apology to me. They call the whole thing a media circus, implying that what their jocks did wasn't worthy of the negative attention, and backlash that they got.

Sorry.. wrong, nipple-heads. it was worthy of the backlash, and i hope the cards and the family issue a statement telling you to go stuff your unfelt apology where the sun don't shine -- EVEN IN ARIZONA!

Carissa
10-04-02, 03:51 PM
http://www.98kupd.com/images/morning/beaususpendedThumb.gif

Apparently they suspended the dj who made the call too.

Luvtino
10-04-02, 03:54 PM
He should have been fired. :mad: What would ever possess anyone to think this was okay?? :confused: What did they think the reaction was going to be?? :(

Leave the poor woman alone. She is a recent widow with very young children. And I was happy to read how strong and sincere the reaction from the St. Louis Cardinals organization was.

Mr. Mxylsplk
10-04-02, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Carissa

Apparently they suspended the dj who made the call too.
Do you have a link for that? All the articles I've seen say the station wasn't going to suspend him.

Mr. Mxylsplk
10-04-02, 04:08 PM
Never mind, I saw the page on their website where they list him as being suspended. Who knows for how long though.

b-ball-lunachick
10-04-02, 05:56 PM
yup, he's suspended:

Radio DJ stoops to committing prank on Flynn Kile

Associated Press

PHOENIX -- St. Louis manager Tony La Russa is irate over a Phoenix-area disc jockey who called the widow of Cardinals pitcher Darryl Kile and asked if she had a date for Thursday's playoff game.

Flynn Kile hung up the phone after KUPD-FM radio personality Beau Duran asked her the question in a call to her Phoenix hotel room, The Arizona Republic reported on its Web site Thursday night.

Chuck Artigue, the market manager for the Sandusky Group which owns KUPD, said the prank "was in terribly bad taste'' but no action would be taken against Duran.

KUPD though removed Duran's bio from its Web site Friday and placed a "suspended" stamp across his picture. Station officials were unavailable for comment, ESPN.com's Ray Ratto reported.

La Russa was upset about the situation.

"I'm vehement in saying that whoever is responsible should suffer serious and dire consequences,'' La Russa said. "If we (the Cardinals) could get our hands on them, we would deal with them physically. It was so brutal that something should happen to them. I hope whoever was responsible gets nailed.''

Artigue said he talked to both major league baseball officials and Arizona Diamondbacks president Rich Dozer to apologize.

Darryl Kile, 33, was found dead in his bed at the team's hotel in Chicago on June 22. An autopsy showed he died from a blockage of the arteries supplying the heart.

sanfranciscojetergirl
10-04-02, 05:59 PM
What a A******. I am sorry but that was piss poor apology to me. I can't wait to see on TV on Saturday how Cards fans treat the D-back.

jroll
10-04-02, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Bozidar
not for nothing, but that's unfair.

Howard, while he does rub a lot of people the wrong way, does execute his comedy with some level of moral standard. He was strong in his rebuking of the idiots Opey and Anthony. I'm sure, though i haven't listened to him today, that if this story was brought up he'd be equally outraged.

I've been a listener of his for a while.. and he's not out to hurt people. These guys obviously were.

Free speech is free speech.. it's not howard's fault that folx copy him but don't have the sense to restrain themselves.

Stern does rub me the wrong way but pretty much all radio "talent" rubs me the wrong way, including the omnipresent Rush.

But my larger point was that Stern essentially invented a brand of humor that has started a trend that I think has become a particularly ugly stain on our culture, and that is making fun of the outcasts, the unlucky and the freakish. Would Stern stoop as low as this clown did? Probably not, but he routinely makes fun of the mentally ill, the physically deformed and the sexually deviant.

I have to confess to a certain amount of hypocrisy here because I love black humor and what Stern and his followers do is just another step down that road. But I think it's a big step and has helped make us a coarser people than most of us really want to be. Just an opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

Mr. Mxylsplk
10-04-02, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by b-ball-lunachick
yup, he's suspended:

Well, the article doesn't say he was suspended. In fact it has the same quote from the manager saying no action would be taken. Putting up a picture saying "suspended" is nice and all, but who's to say that means they actually suspended the guy. Until I read an official announcement from the station that they suspended the guy, I'll be a little skeptical.

Michaels07
10-04-02, 10:45 PM

Stern does rub me the wrong way but pretty much all radio "talent" rubs me the wrong way, including the omnipresent Rush.

But my larger point was that Stern essentially invented a brand of humor that has started a trend that I think has become a particularly ugly stain on our culture, and that is making fun of the outcasts, the unlucky and the freakish. Would Stern stoop as low as this clown did? Probably not, but he routinely makes fun of the mentally ill, the physically deformed and the sexually deviant.

I have to confess to a certain amount of hypocrisy here because I love black humor and what Stern and his followers do is just another step down that road. But I think it's a big step and has helped make us a coarser people than most of us really want to be. Just an opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

How much time do you have on hand to listen to all that radio and still post on the forum?

Bern Baby Be
10-05-02, 12:30 AM
They don't call them Shock Jocks for nothing.:mad:

The guy probably won't even be fired. I once heard about a station out on the west coast who had a segment on their morning drive show called "True Confession," or something like that. People would call in and confess to something they did. In one call a guy confessed to killing his girlfriend. They showed this on Unsolved Mysteries and, played the acutal call and, they guy sounded believable! The hosts sounded shocked. They acted like they didn't know what to say after that and went to a commercial, they way they do when they announce the death of someone on the news, with no sounds. Well, it was a hoax, of course. The show hosts were only fined, not fired. :mad: Robert Stack came on at the end of the segment with an update and he looked incensed. Absolutely unbelievable.:mad: :mad:

Superunknown
10-05-02, 12:39 AM
The guy's show is called "Morning Sickness." That tells me everything I need to know about him. :rolleyes:

I hope he really did get suspended. He's nothing but a pig.

Bern Baby Be
10-05-02, 12:43 AM
The guy's show is called "Morning Sickness." That tells me everything I need to know about him. :rolleyes:

I hope he really did get suspended. He's nothing but a pig.

Oh, that's so despicable! The guy must be a mysoginist(sp?). The very title shows he doesn't think highly of women and then he calls Mrs Kile up and says those things to her!:mad:

Hobes
10-05-02, 01:04 AM
What an effing a$$hole. God, I hope somebody kicks the crap out of him, or something.

Slippery Elm
10-05-02, 06:13 AM
Complaints to the FCC scared WNEW enough to fire Opie and Anthony.

I wonder if the FCC has any position on this.

jroll
10-05-02, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Michaels07

How much time do you have on hand to listen to all that radio and still post on the forum?

:lol: I had to give up radio when I began posting on this forum. Just one of life's tradeoffs.

thenonni
10-05-02, 12:58 PM
Just got off the phone after speaking with my daughter who lives in a suburb of Phoenix. She said the shock jerk has been suspended for two weeks. I hope they forced him to make a public apology to Flynn.

PinstripePride
10-05-02, 08:29 PM
morningsickness@98kupd.com

Have fun everyone. I sure as hell am. &po'd& &po'd& &po'd&

b-ball-lunachick
10-06-02, 09:20 PM
This is the phone call -- the guy didn't even identify himself as being on the radio -- isn't that against FCC regulations or something?

he's such an ass...

http://musicradio.computer.net/other/beaudurankupd10-4-02.ram

LilChief
10-07-02, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by b-ball-lunachick
This is the phone call -- the guy didn't even identify himself as being on the radio -- isn't that against FCC regulations or something?

he's such an ass...

http://musicradio.computer.net/other/beaudurankupd10-4-02.ram

I think you're rigth Jeanne, I think I did read somewhere that it's illegal for him to tape and/or broadcasther without her knowledge or permission, and that she could sue him. I've never been one for frivolous lawsuits but I think she should go after this jerk!

Shel
10-07-02, 10:36 AM
But my larger point was that Stern essentially invented a brand of humor that has started a trend that I think has become a particularly ugly stain on our culture, and that is making fun of the outcasts, the unlucky and the freakish. Would Stern stoop as low as this clown did? Probably not, but he routinely makes fun of the mentally ill, the physically deformed and the sexually deviant.Stern may not have invented this type of "humor," but he has certainly participated in it...and he has, in fact, stooped as low as the Phoenix asshole did.

In January if 1982, an Air Florida flight headed for Ft. Lauderdale took off from National Airport in DC. A buildup of ice on the wings kept the plane from gaining altitude, and the plane hit the 14th Street Bridge before crashing into the Potomac River. There were 78 fatalities -- those who died included passengers, commuters on the bridge, and a passerby who jumped into the river to try to pull some of the crash victims to safety. The next morning, Howard Stern, who was working for a DC radio station at the time, called an Air Florida ticket agent to see if there were any discount fares from National Airport to the 14th Street Bridge. Needless to say, the ticket agent wasn't amused, and neither were the listeners who flooded the station's phone lines with angry calls.

As for Beau Duran, I hope his suspension is without pay. He should be fired, not just suspended. But I'm willing to bet that he'll keep his job -- after all, look how much publicity he has brought to his station.

b-ball-lunachick
10-07-02, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by LilChief

I think you're rigth Jeanne, I think I did read somewhere that it's illegal for him to tape and/or broadcasther without her knowledge or permission, and that she could sue him. I've never been one for frivolous lawsuits but I think she should go after this jerk!

I hear ya Steph -- listening to it, it was that much worse...I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it, but he was finally fired...although many of these radio stations are owned by the same person -- I wouldn't doubt it if he shows up as Wacky Wally on another station they own in a month:

Duran's stunt angered Cards, cost him his job

Associated Press

http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2002/s/2002/1007/1442685.html

PHOENIX -- The disc jockey who made an on-air prank call to the widow of St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Darryl Kile was fired, the radio station announced Monday.

KUPD-FM morning radio personality Beau Duran called Flynn Kile at her hotel and asked if she had a date to last Thursday's playoff game.

The stunt outraged St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa and prompted an apology from the Arizona Diamondbacks.

KUPD suspended Duran last week, but in a written statement Monday, general manager Chuck Artigue said Duran was fired.

In the statement released by the station, Duran said, ''I am truly sorry for having offended Mrs. Kile and the Cardinals organization.''

Kile, a starting pitcher for the Cardinals, died from blocked coronary arteries in June while in Chicago for a game.

AMC
10-07-02, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Carissa Benes suggested the station instead call Diamondbacks lefthander Randy Johnson, saying, "Why don't you wake up Randy and tell him he sucks? We beat him 12-2." [/B]

Priceless. :lol: :p

Luvtino
10-08-02, 12:27 AM
Thanks B-Ball for posting the phone call. :)

When listening to the call the thing that really struck me most is that the scum was really enjoying himself. You could almost see the big grin he must have had on his face. He seriously thought he was being funny and charming. He was having himself a grand old time. :mad:

I'm glad he was fired. He should have been. He also should be ashamed of himself for upsetting a recent widow. Hasn't she had enough pain?? :(