PDA

View Full Version : "Baseball Fans Say...

Ansky39
03-31-00, 10:37 AM
...Yanks Will Win Again"

Braves, Indians, picked for 2nd and 3rd

Major League Baseball fans named the New York Yankees as the team to beat in 1999. Forty-five percent (45%) say that the Yanks will repeat as World Series Champions.

If it's not the Yankees, 15% think the Braves will finally figure out how to cure their post-season blues and win the Championship. Ten percent (10%) think that this will be the Indians big year, No other team was selected by more than 4% of baseball fans.

If the Yankees repeat, it will be the first back-to-back Championships since Toronto won in 1992 and 1993. The last time the Yankees won twice in a row took place 2 decades ago in 1977 and 1978.

A 1999 World Series victory for the Bronx Bombers would be their third title in four years. The last team to accomplish this feat was the 1972-74 Oakland A's who won three in a row. The last time the Yanks won at least 3 World Series titles in 4 years was the stretch from 1949-53. The Yankees of that era won a never equaled 5 World Series in a row.

While 45% of baseball fans think the Yanks will win it all in 1999, just 24% WANT New York to win. Thirteen percent (13%) are pulling for the Braves, 9% for Cleveland, 6% for San Diego, 5% for the Boston Red Sox, and 3% for the LA Dodgers.

It won't shock anyone to learn that Yankee fans are cocky this year-- 96% of them think their team will deliver another title. However, Cleveland fans are just as cocky with 96% expecting victory in the World Series.

Despite the jokes in Boston about low expectations for the home team, Red Sox fans have the third highest expectations this year. Fully 68% think the BoSox will claim the last World Series of the twentieth century. Atlanta fans came in fourth, with 66% thinking this is the year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question Wording:

1. Who do you think will win the World Series this year?

45% New York Yankees
16% Atlanta Braves
10% Cleveland Indians
4% San Diego Padres
4% Boston Red Sox
2% Los Angeles Dodgers
1% Houston Astros
12% Some Other Team

2. Who do you WANT to win the World Series this year?

24% New York Yankees
12% Atlanta Braves
9% Cleveland Indians
6% San Diego Padres
5% Boston Red Sox
3% Los Angeles Dodgers
2% Texas Rangers
2% Houston Astros
35% Some Other Team
3% not sure

courtesy Portrait of America
http://www.portraitofamerica.com/html/poll-373.html

Oh yeah baby, baseball is BACK!!!!

------------------
a39/55, bthgaPrez, shotgun's partner in crime & orangema's favorite son...

26 in 2000

God, I LOVE baseball...

Bluesexy's daddy
03-31-00, 12:07 PM
Thanks Ansky.

Picking the YANKEES, the Braves,or Atlanta seems realistic to me.

By my count 71% of the fans polled were reasonable in there expectations. That indicates to me that the average fan is more reasonable or more intelligent than the average sports writer. Interesting...

------------------
82 years......

My GOD ! That's 4 times longer than Odyseus' journey home from Troy !!

A story too long for Homer to tell.

[This message has been edited by Bluesexy's daddy (edited March 31, 2000).]

FaFa
03-31-00, 01:32 PM
Why would you post an article that is a year old? Didnt you read it??? Jeez.

------------------

JimF
03-31-00, 04:24 PM
Yeah, Ansky, you're a little late on that one http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
"Just watching the game, having a Bud..."

Ansky39's Neighbor's Best Friend's 9th Cousin, Twice Removed.

FaFa
04-03-00, 03:01 PM
[snip]

------------------

JimF
04-03-00, 03:06 PM
Come on kids, let's play nice...

------------------
"Just watching the game, having a Bud..."

Ansky39's Neighbor's Best Friend's 9th Cousin, Twice Removed.

Ansky39
04-03-00, 11:41 PM
[snip]

anyway FYI, I posted this for the same reason that I'm posting 50 year old quotes by stengel & yogi, and letterman top ten lists related to the yanks... the season is finally here, these are predictions about this season, and currently some mentally deficient writers from si to other pubs have been predicting that perennial scrubs like the sox or mutts would win... it's relevant...

as usual this means nothing to you because the only time you have anything to say is when you want to try to be a smarta__...

you don't really care, know or appreciate this game so why even bother huh...

------------------
a39/55, bthgaPrez, shotgun's partner in crime & orangema's favorite son...

26 in 2000

God, I LOVE baseball...